• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1786 posts in this topic

Posted

Would lesweetpea.jp aka Paris Rose count as a jvlogger? She just finished an exchange in Japan and I’m pretty sure collaborated with Tokyo creative.

Posted

I just saw a video from DogaTV in my recommended feed...i havent watched them in a few years, anyone watch them/have any opinions of them? I don't like either of those guys...they're cringy, the american is too cliche, and the british guy, Josh, i heard some really nasty rumors about him, and their videos seem like red duck post ripoffs

Posted

Some of you wondered if Taylor B has a job. Apparently a lot of her viewers asked her the same thing, because she was kinda salty that they envied her for her "glamorous" life. She does indeed have a job though  - she works from home. No denying though that it gives her lots of freedom to do tons of other things aside.

And something entirely different. Maaike posted a very beautiful video. There is also a throwback to when she and her husband got engaged - it's around 0:45 - a very short clip, but so beautiful, I think. The whole video is great. These two are so fit, I'm envious *lol*

Posted (edited)

I love Taylor B and i'm so happy she grew out those bangs she use to have, she is so gorgeous. I also love that she's from California! Usually I find Jvloggers who are either British, Irish/Scottish, Australian but seldom Americans. 

Edited by annica_

Posted

I love Taylor B and i'm so happy she grew out those bangs she use to have, she is so gorgeous. I also love that she's from California! Usually I find Jvloggers who are either British, Irish/Scottish, Australian but seldom Americans. Represent! (:

pretty much anyone wiwi the JET program maks videos on YouTube and they are all American. 

Posted (edited)

pretty much anyone wiwi the JET program maks videos on YouTube and they are all American. 

who are some good vloggers in the jet program?

Edited by annica_

Posted

who are some good vloggers in the jet program?

I think Higgins is in the JET program

Posted

I can tell you of them but I don't know if you will think they are good or not.  What is your idea of good so I know if it's worth posting?

Posted

I can tell you of them but I don't know if you will think they are good or not.  What is your idea of good so I know if it's worth posting?

maybe you could post regardless? maybe others would discover some new faces ;) 

Posted

Alright! I will do collecting then post all their vids when I get home tonight.  

Posted

Sorry this took a while. ......I forgot.... Please forgive me!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_zaLymxSYOx6VS8F_GBKOQ  She is a military spouse living in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ3uThdfTsN33nnR34n11ng  This is Le chan.  She lives in Hokkaido

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeavbDncHoMLhTjIu-f-NDA  Some of you might know them already, they are Marshu and Rina. They recently got married.

https://www.youtube.com/talishaish She has twins and lives in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFSh6wInijpfaJXQZspN_nA He posts traveling videos around Japan and vlogs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItfuUvaLa0hSz7PewK4cuw They also post travel videos around Japan and vlogs

Most of them are JET.  A couple of them are not, but they all do have full time jobs.  So they don't post all the time.  Please be kind to them as they are tiny channels and I think only uploading so their friends and family can see what they do.

Anyway, let me know if the links don't work.  They should be ok.  If not, then just copy and paste it to the browser and see if that works.

Posted

late to the party as always but re: pet stores in japan... if they're not flat out awful, they're usually pretty sad. there was a pet section at the donkihote in my city that had a whole lot of puppies (super young ones, 6-8 weeks), and then one older shiba puppy (probably like 6 months old?) that i just wanted to take home because i was terrified of what was going to happen to it if it didn't get sold. it had been discounted in price like 3 times and it just made me sad. curse my student dorms.

it's really dodgy that a vegan would go to one of those when they're awful

Posted

I posted on Mimei's thread about their kitten, and was suggested to post here (full disclosure, I didn't read this thread, and don't watch Jvloggers, but feel free to ask me questions, or even ask for advice! below is a copy/paste of what I wrote on the Mimei thread (so all about cats, but I mainly volunteered for dogs):

I volunteer in several shelters in Japan and we are all overflowing with cats, and kittens. There are so many kittens, a lot of "health services" kill them straight away without giving them a chance to be rescued by shelters. Adopting a kitten not only gives it a more comfortable life & more attention, it also saves another life as it opens up a seat in the shelter.

(to the person who said cats from shelters come sick: I am sure shady shelters do exist, but from someone who's been an insider for a decade, absolutely all shelters I know give all the cats/dogs that come in a very detailed health check, and are closely monitored. As soon as something is suspected, they are taken to the vet (it actually lowers medical bills to have them treated before there's anything serious, and they are all have on pet health insurance)

and are very vocal about every single health issues every dog/cat has, and will check again and again if you are willing to deal with it, as they would, more then anything, avoid have you abandon it again. 
On the other hand, pet stores are for profit first, so they do quite the opposite)

also, NEVER EVER BUY FROM PET SHOPS! When big shops, shpping mall sell pets, complain, send written complaints.

Same when you go to "animal cafe", a lot of them are owned by companies that sell animals. THere are a lot of cat, and even dog cafes where all the animals are rescues, and looking for families. Please try them instead!

Posted

^So what you're saying is... People were right in finding this a bit... contradictory (?) (I'm looking for the right word but can't find it) when Taylor B, as a vegan, decided to buy a puppy rather than try to adopt a dog from a shelter?

Hmm. Interesting.

Posted (edited)

I love Taylor B and i'm so happy she grew out those bangs she use to have, she is so gorgeous. I also love that she's from California! Usually I find Jvloggers who are either British, Irish/Scottish, Australian but seldom Americans. 

THIS. Yes, as people have said most people in the JET program are American-the reason why, I’ll get into in just a second-but those people are not what I’d call a J-vlogger. 

Imo, when we think of J-vloggers, we’re talking people who aren’t working as teachers, but traveling and showcasing Japan on their channel for profit or a full living. JETS and ALT’s don’t have time to do this. Most of the time being an ALT is 8-9pm work, teaching several classes at several levels at several schools...

You don’t see Americans vlogging abroad, especially in Asia (and specifically Japan and Korea), because Americans have no working holiday visa which is pretty much how every ___vlogger gets into said country. The only way for Americans to live abroad (in Japan and Korea I know this for certain) is to teach English, preferably through a gov program like JET or EPIK/GEPIK/SMOE. 

Why? One hypothesis I have is that when learning English, the American accent is usually preferred, so by restricting Americans to only one way to come to their county to live, they get to almost guarantee their youth get an American teacher who will give them the more desirable American accent.

It absolutely sucks being American and wanting to travel-and this is just one reason. It’s hard watching bloggers in Asia knowing 90% are not American and therefore their advice and lifestyle will never be available to you.

Edited by PastelPotions