• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord! (Updated)   01/14/19

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL We've also added a gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/PULLnet Thank you for your continued love and support!

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1703 posts in this topic

Posted

I live in Japan and I can confirm that the Yakuza does have a part in dog breeding to some extent. My ex got his dog from a Yakuza household and when I mentioned the story to someone else, nobody was surprised and they said that it's kind of common.

Also, my friend adopted a cat that survived the 2011 earthquake so I can definitely confirm that shelters are an option, while a less common path to take. 

Personally, I would rather adopt in order to help promote a genepool of healthier dogs in the future. Inbreeding ain't cute. I'm really surprised that more people don't do this, especially considering how expensive pet shop dogs are in Japan.

Posted

I thought it was against vegan principles to support animal breeders and puppy mills because it just encourages more breeding for sale.  Buying a puppy from a puppy mill or shop doesn't seem very vegan to me.

https://www.peta.org/living/animal-companions/myths-pet-stores-breeders/

Especially coming from a person who is openly vegan.  😳

Posted

It's definitely against vegan ethics to buy a pet from a shop - hence 'adopt, not shop'. Buying these pets from shops just promotes and supports them buying from mills. There's tons of places she could adopt from lol. Sharla also bought a kitten from a shop, despite being vegan, but she said it's because she felt sorry for it because it had a physical disability (because of it's breed) and no one would ever adopt it. I always got the feeling that taylor is vegan just for health, not ethics, because I remember her almost in tears ranting once in a video that she can't fit into Japanese clothes because she's too big... so I got the feeling she's vegan to lose/maintain weight. But that's just my opinion, and I don't watch all of her videos so I don't much about her haha

Posted (edited)

I live in Japan and I can confirm that the Yakuza does have a part in dog breeding to some extent. My ex got his dog from a Yakuza household and when I mentioned the story to someone else, nobody was surprised and they said that it's kind of common.

Also, my friend adopted a cat that survived the 2011 earthquake so I can definitely confirm that shelters are an option, while a less common path to take. 

Personally, I would rather adopt in order to help promote a genepool of healthier dogs in the future. Inbreeding ain't cute. I'm really surprised that more people don't do this, especially considering how expensive pet shop dogs are in Japan.

I used to volunteer at a Japanese pet shelter when I lived in Tokyo, there definitely are choices, I found them through a FB group for shelters in Japan, they didn't care to try hard enough if they searched but found none. :\ I think there's a big difference between someone eating a candy bar, and buying a mill pet. Vegan my ass lmao. 

Edited by DarkSavage

Posted

I remember watching a Rachel and Jun video where Rachel talked about buying vs adopting in Japan. I think she said something along the lines of "Japan makes it hard for foreigners to adopt." Is there any truth to this?

Posted (edited)

I remember watching a Rachel and Jun video where Rachel talked about buying vs adopting in Japan. I think she said something along the lines of "Japan makes it hard for foreigners to adopt." Is there any truth to this?

I didn't see that one but illI check it out and get back to you. My friend that adopted her cat came to Japan around the same time as I did and both she andher husband are non-Japanese. I guess visa status probably has something to do with how easy it is to adopt a pet as well as the adoption agency itself and their rules, but length of stay prprior to adoption doesn't appear to be a factor. 

edit: watched the video. I think it probably depends on where you adopted from I guess. Definitely, there are people who tend to believe that foreign people quickly return to their home country...and for the most part, they're kind of right. It sucks, but you just gotta do your best to prove them wrong I guess. I can understand why people would be choosy about who adopts their cat or who adopts cats in general. There's a huge problem with feral cats in Japan. Here in Tokyo, they crap everywhere and wipe out native bird populations, allowing for an even worse crow take over. 

I tthink I remember my friend saying that she adopted her cat from some organization on the internet, but i don't know anything more than that. Rachel herself said some places are run by other foreigners so they're probably your best bet for places that would be more likely to give cats to foreign people. 

Edited by Sugi

Posted

I didn't see that one but illI check it out and get back to you. My friend that adopted her cat came to Japan around the same time as I did and both she andher husband are non-Japanese. I guess visa status probably has something to do with how easy it is to adopt a pet as well as the adoption agency itself and their rules, but length of stay prprior to adoption doesn't appear to be a factor. 

edit: watched the video. I think it probably depends on where you adopted from I guess. Definitely, there are people who tend to believe that foreign people quickly return to their home country...and for the most part, they're kind of right. It sucks, but you just gotta do your best to prove them wrong I guess. I can understand why people would be choosy about who adopts their cat or who adopts cats in general. There's a huge problem with feral cats in Japan. Here in Tokyo, they crap everywhere and wipe out native bird populations, allowing for an even worse crow take over. 

I tthink I remember my friend saying that she adopted her cat from some organization on the internet, but i don't know anything more than that. Rachel herself said some places are run by other foreigners so they're probably your best bet for places that would be more likely to give cats to foreign people. 

Yeah, exactly what you said. Our cat is a street urchin (from when we lived in Tokyo, she just wouldn't leave us be so we took her and got her checked out and now she's my annoying alarm clock), but we recently went to see if we could adopt a dog as we moved to a bigger place and they seemed to have no issue with us, but co-workers have said they have had issues, so like everything in Japan regarding foreigners it seems so arbitrary/however the wind is blowing that day.

I didn't know Taylor was a vegan :/ Makes the whole thing even more...blech. 

Posted

Yeah, exactly what you said. Our cat is a street urchin (from when we lived in Tokyo, she just wouldn't leave us be so we took her and got her checked out and now she's my annoying alarm clock), but we recently went to see if we could adopt a dog as we moved to a bigger place and they seemed to have no issue with us, but co-workers have said they have had issues, so like everything in Japan regarding foreigners it seems so arbitrary/however the wind is blowing that day.

I didn't know Taylor was a vegan :/ Makes the whole thing even more...blech. 

Maybe it's like visa renewals. They pull out the old dartboard and decide how to proceed haha

changing topics, what do you guys think of gimmeabreakman? He always seems to have these hot takes about shit nowadays but manages to get away with it every time somehow. I unfollowed after he put a racial slur in his video title. 

Posted

Doesnt he only do asmr now?

Posted

Maybe it's like visa renewals. They pull out the old dartboard and decide how to proceed haha

changing topics, what do you guys think of gimmeabreakman? He always seems to have these hot takes about shit nowadays but manages to get away with it every time somehow. I unfollowed after he put a racial slur in his video title. 

depending on the video i either liked him or didnt like his opinion. he can be a bit of an asshole sometimes but i think he admits to that. for sure though he certainly has the best interests of the community at heart....that as much i can grab. He's gone quiet though in the last few months, i wonder why.

Posted (edited)

depending on the video i either liked him or didnt like his opinion. he can be a bit of an asshole sometimes but i think he admits to that. for sure though he certainly has the best interests of the community at heart....that as much i can grab. He's gone quiet though in the last few months, i wonder why.

Maybe he drank a bit of that humble tea when he realized he gets far more views when he doesn't talk...

that or he's trying to figure out how to get ASMR to overlap with Japan without using the barber every time

He probably should have done the channel switch thing earlier so he could catch the cicadas

Edited by Sugi

Posted

Watching Taylor B's most recent vlog made me curious... Why couldn't she take her dog out until now? I mean since they have a pee pad I see how it's not necessary to go out every few hours... But I never met a puppy who left it's mother and couldn't go out? Is that a Japan thing? Won't the dog be bored to hell then? 

Posted

Watching Taylor B's most recent vlog made me curious... Why couldn't she take her dog out until now? I mean since they have a pee pad I see how it's not necessary to go out every few hours... But I never met a puppy who left it's mother and couldn't go out? Is that a Japan thing? Won't the dog be bored to hell then? 

I remember my vet in Canada also recommended me not take out our puppy , but I don’t remember how long

Posted

I have no idea about Japan, but in Romania we can't take the puppy out for a walk until it as all the vaccines done - some maybe up to 4 months? i forgot what age that happens at. Of course you go to the vet with the puppy, but you're supposed to carry it. Puppies are very sensitive at that age and can catch many illnesses. They also usually like to explore, sniff, come in contact with other dogs and humans, so on. Maybe Japan is similar - or should.