• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1786 posts in this topic

Posted

Was Chris always part of Tokyo Creative? At what point did he join? Cos I loved his video in the past and now they don’t grab my attention anymore. Wondering if it’s the Tokyo Creative influence that’s changing his videos or if it’s just me falling out of love with his channel. 

I dont think he always was and I dont think he joined, maybe this is just him doing a thing or two WITH them, to build the Tokyo Creative audience.

Posted (edited)

edit - delete plz

Edited by SkyCat99

Posted (edited)

Taylor B has a puppy now. It's super-cute and all, and it seems like she really did a lot of research about how to handle such a young dog. The only thing I've been wondering about: She got it from a pet store in Odaiba, if I understand it correctly. Whenever I hear pet shops I instantly have a negative picture in front of my inner eye. (in my country pet shops are only allowed to sell small animals. For dogs and cats you have to either visit a shelter and adopt or go to the breeder directly). However, I don't know much about petshops in Japan, I just heard really bad stuff about them.

Can someone shed some light on the whole situation? Does anyone know the petshop she went to? Is this the place to go? Are there shelters in her area?

I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't adopt. I feel like a hypocrite for saying that because I think buying from a responsible breeder is alright too, but Taylor is vegan (a real one) and I thought if she ever gets a pet, she will definitely adopt.

Edited by Risa

Posted

Taylor B has a puppy now. It's super-cute and all, and it seems like she really did a lot of research about how to handle such a young dog. The only thing I've been wondering about: She got it from a pet store in Odaiba, if I understand it correctly. Whenever I hear pet shops I instantly have a negative picture in front of my inner eye. (in my country pet shops are only allowed to sell small animals. For dogs and cats you have to either visit a shelter and adopt or go to the breeder directly). However, I don't know much about petshops in Japan, I just heard really bad stuff about them.

Can someone shed some light on the whole situation? Does anyone know the petshop she went to? Is this the place to go? Are there shelters in her area?

I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't adopt. I feel like a hypocrite for saying that because I think buying from a responsible breeder is alright too, but Taylor is vegan (a real one) and I thought if she ever gets a pet, she will definitely adopt.

I've only been to the pet shop in Aqua City, but uh... girl, no... I know Japan in general doesn't really support shelters (I wouldn't even know if Tokyo had any (Google says no), but... I just can't support any kind of pet shop in Tokyo? I'm gonna admit that what I'm saying here will be a bit two-faced if you wanna call it that, because tbh I stop at this pet shop in Aqua City every single time. It's on the basement floor of a huge shopping center (that alone should ring an alarm bell) and I'm guessing it's similar in Venus Fort. Now for Pet Plus in AC, the shop is right in the food court and it's rather focused on pet accessories and clothes than the actual pets. They only carry puppies btw. And yes, puppies. That's typically Japanese pet shop tbh, they never have dogs older than a couple months because especially Tokyoites want cute little accessories. The puppies are adorable, they really are, but the conditions they have there are honestly nothing I would buy from, even if I had the money (except to save those poor things). Now I'm not saying they're living awfully, there's always a staff checking up on them and cleaning up, but it's not like they're allowed to show affection to the puppies either. Here's a photo of how the puppy area looks:

20170508_05_RiangSupod-15.thumb.jpg.bde6

The puppies have a pee pad, a bed, a water bottle and some toys. There are one to three puppies in one compartment, usually different breeds. That's where the problems already start, I've seen puppies with completely different characters put together that just didn't fit. Example: a playful poodle with a chihuahua that just wanted to sleep. That aside, everything is open, so there's no way to hide if one of them isn't feeling well (photos aren't allowed btw). The process of how to buy a dog is that you ask one of the staffs and they'll bring you the pup to a small table at the side, so you can check it out. I suppose you just can bring it home if you decide to buy. Now I'm only talking about Pet Plus, keep that in mind. But Venus Fort is really the same a couple meters further down Odaiba. Taylor's pup is also cute, but it fits right into that category of pet shops in shopping malls. I always wondered what happens if the dogs don't sell and become too old tbh. Also, those dogs are expensive as hell. I'm not even joking. They start somewhere at around ¥80,000 and easily go up to something around 150k. Without accessories, but hopefully vaccinations (my Japanese isn't good enough for that). Idk, pet shops in Tokyo are mostly just not good for the dogs. They always feel like puppy mill shops to me, even though I don't have background knowledge about where the dogs actually come from in Japan. On a side note, dogs are being bred extra tiny (and often sickly) in Tokyo due to most people not having the space anything bigger than a beagle. Most popular are probably tea cup poodles for their cute faces.

It's just really disappointing to see a Youtuber actually giving in to those shops instead of doing some research. I know there are pet cafés in Tokyo where you can adopt the animals, I'm sure that exists for dogs too. But I guess they're not cute and tiny then?

Posted

The Yakuza has strong control over pet shops in Japan, where they run puppy mills that most of these puppies are from. I’m not sure if it’s the same everywhere in Japan but it’s extremely prevalent. At animal shelters a huge number of the dogs, around 80%, are euthanized. People are less informed about shelters and want to buy a cute puppy instead of an adult dog- this is true everywhere but a notoriously big problem in Japan. 

Posted

Taylor B got on my nerves in her Vlogmas about the dog pooping in her apartment. She was way, way, way over the top about it. She actually called her friends first before taking care of the dog herself (so she didn’t have to remove poop stuck in her butt). Taylor B seems like the sort of person who would get rid of the dog when it did anything other than being cute. She even said she was lucky she was cute. I was turned off watching her after she behaved like that. 

Posted (edited)

Taylor B got on my nerves in her Vlogmas about the dog pooping in her apartment. She was way, way, way over the top about it. She actually called her friends first before taking care of the dog herself (so she didn’t have to remove poop stuck in her butt). Taylor B seems like the sort of person who would get rid of the dog when it did anything other than being cute. She even said she was lucky she was cute. I was turned off watching her after she behaved like that. 

I would cut her some slack for that ^^ Because I really think she didn't know what to do (also I think she was rather looking for information about what to do with the stuck poop...) . She was being over-dramatic though, and her viewers called her out for it.

I've only been to the pet shop in Aqua City, but uh... girl, no... I know Japan in general doesn't really support shelters (I wouldn't even know if Tokyo had any (Google says no), but... I just can't support any kind of pet shop in Tokyo? I'm gonna admit that what I'm saying here will be a bit two-faced if you wanna call it that, because tbh I stop at this pet shop in Aqua City every single time. It's on the basement floor of a huge shopping center (that alone should ring an alarm bell) and I'm guessing it's similar in Venus Fort. Now for Pet Plus in AC, the shop is right in the food court and it's rather focused on pet accessories and clothes than the actual pets. They only carry puppies btw. And yes, puppies. That's typically Japanese pet shop tbh, they never have dogs older than a couple months because especially Tokyoites want cute little accessories. The puppies are adorable, they really are, but the conditions they have there are honestly nothing I would buy from, even if I had the money (except to save those poor things). Now I'm not saying they're living awfully, there's always a staff checking up on them and cleaning up, but it's not like they're allowed to show affection to the puppies either. Here's a photo of how the puppy area looks:

Hidden Content

The puppies have a pee pad, a bed, a water bottle and some toys. There are one to three puppies in one compartment, usually different breeds. That's where the problems already start, I've seen puppies with completely different characters put together that just didn't fit. Example: a playful poodle with a chihuahua that just wanted to sleep. That aside, everything is open, so there's no way to hide if one of them isn't feeling well (photos aren't allowed btw). The process of how to buy a dog is that you ask one of the staffs and they'll bring you the pup to a small table at the side, so you can check it out. I suppose you just can bring it home if you decide to buy. Now I'm only talking about Pet Plus, keep that in mind. But Venus Fort is really the same a couple meters further down Odaiba. Taylor's pup is also cute, but it fits right into that category of pet shops in shopping malls. I always wondered what happens if the dogs don't sell and become too old tbh. Also, those dogs are expensive as hell. I'm not even joking. They start somewhere at around ¥80,000 and easily go up to something around 150k. Without accessories, but hopefully vaccinations (my Japanese isn't good enough for that). Idk, pet shops in Tokyo are mostly just not good for the dogs. They always feel like puppy mill shops to me, even though I don't have background knowledge about where the dogs actually come from in Japan. On a side note, dogs are being bred extra tiny (and often sickly) in Tokyo due to most people not having the space anything bigger than a beagle. Most popular are probably tea cup poodles for their cute faces.

It's just really disappointing to see a Youtuber actually giving in to those shops instead of doing some research. I know there are pet cafés in Tokyo where you can adopt the animals, I'm sure that exists for dogs too. But I guess they're not cute and tiny then?

Thanks for taking the time and putting together all this information!! It's at least as bad as I thought it would be. I'm kinda disappointed in Taylor. I think she is a good and nice person and I really like her vlogs and her personality, but I thought she would definitely adopt a dog, especially since she is vegan and for real vegans it is a lifestyle. I have a vegan friend, and she would never shop a pet! And if she felt too insecure to adopt, I thought Taylor would rather go and buy from a private seller/breeder, you know? Someone you contact long in advance and meet in person and who does a background check etc. So, I had higher expectations in her, I think.

Also, and this is just a feeling: I feel like she really rather wanted a cat. And only when she realized a cat won't do because of how they live, she changed her mind within minutes and settled for a dog. Somehow like: Okay, can't get a cat, but I still want a pet.

I do want to give her the benefit of the doubt though and think that she did proper research.

Edited by Risa

Posted (edited)

Wait, didn't Taylor say in that vlogmas that they wanted to adopt a cat from a shelter first (her being vegan and all) but because her bf and her live in an apartment so high up, they couldn't? I thought they got the dog from a shelter too, considering they wanted to adopt an animal and not buy one (a cat granted, but I thought they extended the thought to when they got the puppy.)

If not, that's really weird and disappointing I guess? Why not extend the whole process to a dog when it couldn't be applied to a cat? Like "hm okay we can't adopt a cat but if we get a dog, I'd rather adopt from a shelter too", you know what I mean?

Also - I don't watch her so please correct me if I'm wrong - but does she work? And what does her bf do? They live in such a nice apartment what kind of money do they have?!!

Edited by French Fries
grammar

Posted (edited)

Wait, didn't Taylor say in that vlogmas that they wanted to adopt a cat from a shelter first (her being vegan and all) but because her bf and her live in an apartment so high up, they couldn't? I thought they got the dog from a shelter too, considering they wanted to adopt from and not buy (a cat granted, but I thought they extended the thought to when they got the puppy.)

If not, that's really weird and disappointing I guess? Why not extend the whole process to a dog when it couldn't be applied to a cat? Like "hm okay we can't adopt a cat but if we get a dog, I'd rather adopt from a shelter too", you know what I mean?

Also - I don't watch her so please correct me if I'm wrong - but does she work? And what does her bf do? They live in such a nice apartment what kind of money do they have?!!

She bought the dog from a pet shop in Odaiba :-/ I linked the vlog where she talks about it above. I completely agree with you, I don't get why she didn't adopt a dog, especially since she has troubles looking after a puppy. She could have adopted an adult dog, who doesn't need as much time as a puppy, and who already knows basic commands and is house-trained. 

I think... she does work or at least is looking for work (?). I remember that she bought a job-hunting suit last year. Her partner has to have a very good job though, because their appartment is crazy. Jen (osharegirl) watched their puppy recently, and in her vlog she showed the view from Taylor's appartment. It's stunning.

What @Qualle said about dogs being treated as accessories is so sad. And it fits to what Ozzy once said. Ozzy has a dog too  - but it's neither a very small one, nor does it fit into the cute aesthetic. He said that people don't want their cutsey dogs to play with his, because *reasons*.

Besides I don't even want to imagine what they do with 'leftovers' from the shops. What happens with the adult dogs. Poor furbabies. Dogs are such loving creatures, they really deserve better.

Edited by Risa

Posted

I mean, we can't change the minds of Japanese people on that anytime soon either way, so I guess we should stick to Taylor's decision here.

I never watched her videos before, but hearing that she's vegan... WTF? How can she call herself vegan if she goes into a shopping mall and spontaneously buys a puppy there that costs hundreds of dollars and isn't potty-trained/used to walks either because they don't teach the dogs anything there? I guess she's only referring to her eating habits then? Honestly, there are much better places to get a dog at in Japan. Puppies too. Why not a private breeder or at least a proper pet shop that isn't only putting up puppies for the doe-eyed effect?

Even with a simplye Google search in English, you find places to adopt from in and around Tokyo. Distances in Japan are not that big and pets can be easily picked up elsewhere (lots of abandoned/lost pets from Tohoku for example). There are people rescuing cats from the streets and fostering until they're ready for adoption all over Instagram and Twitter. Here is an example of Sharla and a private organization that adopts out soon-to-be-euthanized pets that they rescued (in Tokyo):

I don't understand the argument of the apartment being too high up for a cat btw? That would much rather apply to a dog because they need to take it down for walks while the cat is supposed to stay inside anyway.

Posted

I don't understand the argument of the apartment being too high up for a cat btw? That would much rather apply to a dog because they need to take it down for walks while the cat is supposed to stay inside anyway.

I think she said something about "windows"? The shelter she went to said that because their apartment is so high up, they couldn't get a cat because if they forgot to close a window it would be too dangerous for the cat?! Honestly, I didn't get that... Maybe I should watch the video again as I listened to it with only one ear. I don't usually watch her (though her plus size fukubukuro was nice - otherwise I find her rather boring) and I really want to understand the though process behind that purchase, as she's vegan and getting a dog you buy at a regular pet shop is really not something I'd expect from someone trying to be kinder to animals in general...

Posted

I think she said something about "windows"? The shelter she went to said that because their apartment is so high up, they couldn't get a cat because if they forgot to close a window it would be too dangerous for the cat?! Honestly, I didn't get that... Maybe I should watch the video again as I listened to it with only one ear. I don't usually watch her (though her plus size fukubukuro was nice - otherwise I find her rather boring) and I really want to understand the though process behind that purchase, as she's vegan and getting a dog you buy at a regular pet shop is really not something I'd expect from someone trying to be kinder to animals in general...

I can get behind the window argument, but it's really no problem to secure your windows and balcony if there's one. If you really want a cat and your landlord allows pets (or you own the apartment), then why the hell do windows hold you back? That money from the puppy could have been invested in crazy safe windows probably instead of a plain net.

Posted

Do they honestly believe that a cat would willingly jump out of a 30 story building? No animal is that stupid. 

Posted

^ unfortunately sometimes they actually do jump.  

They might jump to catch a bird hanging around the balcony without realising that there’s nothing underneath to catch their fall. 

So in that sense, I understand why she doesn’t want to get a cat. If she keeps her window open, she won’t be able to keep an eye on her cat all the time. 

Though i don’t understand why a person who cares so much about the welfare of animals would get a dog from a pet shop. :alpacaworry2:

Posted

^ unfortunately sometimes they actually do jump.  

They might jump to catch a bird hanging around the balcony without realising that there’s nothing underneath to catch their fall. 

So in that sense, I understand why she doesn’t want to get a cat. If she keeps her window open, she won’t be able to keep an eye on her cat all the time. 

Though i don’t understand why a person who cares so much about the welfare of animals would get a dog from a pet shop. :alpacaworry2:

Dogs from those stores cost thousands of dollars, not hundreds :/ having a pet in Japan is expensive because of the above mentioned puppy mills and they're an accessory. I still remember the three million yen cat I saw in Roppongi and it was the most depressed thing I'd ever seen :(  There's a pet store near me that sells fennix foxes and monkeys, the rules here for pet stores are disgusting. And that store is a huge pet store, by most standards, unlike others (the 24 hour pet store aimed at hostesses coming home and they are in tiny boxes comes to mind). Bleh. 

We have a cat and have fly screens for our windows. She's fine (and enjoys chillin' and smellin' the smells from the neighbourhood).