• Announcements

• Official PULL Discord! (Updated)   01/14/19

Hi Everyone!  We've opened up an official discord. In order to join, you need to have posted at least 20 comments on PULL! This is to make sure we don't let in any flakes with ulterior motives. After joining, you will receive a DM with instructions on how to get verified! Also, your registration date needs to be earlier than December 2018 so that we don't get a ton of people signing up only to join the Discord but without actually contributing to PULL. Drop by and chat here: https://discord.gg/KDF2kt5 Also, we need to upgrade our server in the very near future. PULL grows bigger by the day (yay!) but  to handle the load, we need upgrades. For less than the cost of what you spend on Netflix, we can continue to host your content. Whether it's $1 or $5 a month, all gifts are appreciated. Please consider giving here: https://www.patreon.com/PULL We've also added a gofundme link: https://www.gofundme.com/PULLnet Thank you for your continued love and support!

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1703 posts in this topic

Posted

Is it just me or has Abroad in Japan's cycle across Japan been something of a let down? There's a whole team of them but they don't seem to have a consistent posting schedule . The vids that are posted feel somewhat contrived, with silly skits more often than not and you don't learn much about where they are. I'll withold judgement until the end but so far I prefer Only in Japan's spontaneous style of live streaming as he hitchhiked across Japan.

so true, you don’t learn anything about the place they are in, I like him and his humor... the last video almost has nothing about the place they are in, they could have done it at home... I think the are focused on the challenge more that experiencing this journey and what those places have to give.

Posted

I think this happens to a lot of vloggers.  They start to forget that they go to a place to tell a story about the place and when they get bigger they start to talk about themselves which gets really tiresome.  I feel like the whole "Journey across Japan" is a trip about Chris, Sharla, Chris Okano and the other cast of characters that are on the trip.  Not actually about the bike riding, scenery or the places they visit.

Posted

I agree with what people have been saying. I was a bit excited to see what this biking-across-Japan thing was going to be like. But there's been little information about any of the places and the trip, and there's no regularity to the upload schedule. Is he already done his month-long trip? What's been happening in this last while? He had a bunch of people with him filming and editing and driving around. Surely, they'd be uploading every couple of days for him instead, no?

Posted

Since the topic has turned to videos of people traveling across Japan, I wanted to ask if anyone has seen Kyde and Eric's videos of Eric hitchhiking to Hokkaidou: the playlist

What I really like about their videos is that they go out of their way to show as much of where they travel as possible and also educate on the location, and Eric's videos of hitchhiking are no exception. I also love their skilled-but-simple way of editing, their backgrounds are usually quiet, they have a nice down to earth sense of humor. They aren't really traditional Jvloggers--they live in Tokyo and travel a lot in Japan but they don't make videos just on random life updates and stuff, and they also travel and make videos a lot outside Japan. I feel like their work is more about sharing their experiences rather than showing off, if that makes sense. I really enjoy that.

Posted

You can hitchhike in Japan? 😯

Posted

Since the topic has turned to videos of people traveling across Japan, I wanted to ask if anyone has seen Kyde and Eric's videos of Eric hitchhiking to Hokkaidou: the playlist

What I really like about their videos is that they go out of their way to show as much of where they travel as possible and also educate on the location, and Eric's videos of hitchhiking are no exception. I also love their skilled-but-simple way of editing, their backgrounds are usually quiet, they have a nice down to earth sense of humor. They aren't really traditional Jvloggers--they live in Tokyo and travel a lot in Japan but they don't make videos just on random life updates and stuff, and they also travel and make videos a lot outside Japan. I feel like their work is more about sharing their experiences rather than showing off, if that makes sense. I really enjoy that.

Yes! I agree.  I like their channel a lot.

Posted

Yes. A number of youtubers have done hitchhiking. It seems pretty safe in Japan. I don't know if I would do it as a girl. If anyone is interested in Only in Japan's trip last year from Kyushu to Hokkaido. It was a follow up on a trip he had done 14 years previously. Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGQrYbzCIxU&list=PLtuAVuReqr8MgCX7vonYiTjSz3nZr6r_B

Posted

I used to do that alot in Okinawa with friends since transportation there without car is really inconvenient. I am surprised of how fast people would let us ride with them and how welcoming, it's a really great experience. I have never done it anywhere else though so I am not sure how experience is like in Europe and elsewhere 

Posted

You have more info about the journey on tokyo creative site, so i think they are helping him with the trip while he is advertising them.

Im not really disappointed since he did say it was something he wanted to do for himself but also decided to film it.

What annoys me is the upload schedule. I get it that its hard (I think he said he does the editing, at least most of it, which is stupid since he has a team with him), but then be realistic and dont post videos every day and stop and make a huge break. And if you do it use social media to announce it.

Posted

Almost as if they knew we were talking about them. Here comes episode 15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM_vGjtFu2E

According to the pinned comment he's been editing for the past week so that he can release 4 videos over the course of 10 days.

Posted (edited)

Been meaning to post this but since I'm currently traveling I have dogshit internet i was unable to, but I saw that Radrey had Zach on his livestream over the weekend. I was able to watch a good chunk of it. The replay isn't up on Radrey's channel yet, but it was an interesting stream, done at Zach's studio. Here's 2 highlights that I remember: 

• Zach touched upon how he started his company using investment money he had saved up since he had an academic scholarship to Sophia University (So maybe a dig at the 'trust fund' thing?) 
  • Zach and Sam are apparently cool with each other now after last year's hanami drama, and he fully intends on making another Hanami in 2019. That was the only drama that Zach and Radrey discussed on his stream. Most of the stream seemed to be about how to run a business or how he ended up in Japan.

Zach did have a bit to say about the Jvlog community, without mentioning names, but said he was pretty worried about the community, especially the content that the community had been making being similar to other videos that other jvloggers made. I think that echoes a lot of sentiments that we have about the community - sorta stale, dry, unoriginal. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 2.23.57 PM.png

Edited by SkyCat99
grammar

Posted

I think you're bringing him up too much considering he only gets maybe 300 views per video. I swear I know too much about Phoenyx considering the only video I've watched is the last Hanami drama. 

Though I'm here for the actual drama when somebody flips their lid about the next Hanami, I couldn't care less about his opinion when he's hardly on the cusp of the J-Vlogging community otherwise. 

Posted

I think you're bringing him up too much considering he only gets maybe 300 views per video. I swear I know too much about Phoenyx considering the only video I've watched is the last Hanami drama. 

Though I'm here for the actual drama when somebody flips their lid about the next Hanami, I couldn't care less about his opinion when he's hardly on the cusp of the J-Vlogging community otherwise. 

Fair enough but i feel like the only time he does get brought up, it's some sort of misconception. But otherwise you're right, outside of the Hanami he's pretty low-key. 

Posted

For those who are as disappointed in the"cycle across japan" thing as I am... I found a video series with that theme on nhk world https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/cycle/20181208/2066017/

Tbh I would've preferred if Tokyo Creative stayed out of Chris' project. He seemed so stressed and tired from editing (and filming). I thought they'd do more for him? Especially in the editing department since that's such an exhausting part of being a youtuber? I didn't expect a cultural programme as the one I linked above. I envisioned some time lapses, a few talking segments during breaks and most importantly more... Chris. Maybe it's just me but he's not having the same Chris vibes. Or maybe it's because the guests are annoying me lol. If he went alone, doing one or half an hour lifestreams every other day or so would've been fine with me or unedited vlogs where he talks about his day. He could've edited and uploaded after finishing his journey. 

In the end I'm proud of Chris for pushing this far. But I'm still wondering what good did Tokyo Creative even do lol? Also I must admit I loved the Doctor Jelly commercial. 

Posted

Was Chris always part of Tokyo Creative? At what point did he join? Cos I loved his video in the past and now they don’t grab my attention anymore. Wondering if it’s the Tokyo Creative influence that’s changing his videos or if it’s just me falling out of love with his channel.