• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

2421 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well not everyone has the same opinion as you guys, I don't think everyone here has just universally accepted that the tape thing is bad. You can't just say "we're right!" and leave it at that. It's a controversial topic that not everyone is on the same side with so people are gonna wanna put in their two cents.

I agree though that a lot of people are repeating stuff that's already been said, but I thought the main reason why we were talking about Knite was the fact that he tapes his eyes and tries to be asian..? Cause if you take all that away he's not much different from other cosplayers.

Edited by Veevee

Posted

Well not everyone has the same opinion as you guys, I don't think everyone here has just universally accepted that the tape thing is bad. You can't just say "we're right!" and leave it at that. It's a controversial topic that not everyone is on the same side with so people are gonna wanna put in their two cents.

this ^^^

There is not "right or wrong" with taping. A lot of people (that are Asians) don't give a fuck about it and don't find it offensive at all. And some do. It all depended on how he handled the situation.

For example, a person calls another person a derogatory word without malicious intents. Then, they apologize for it and say they're wrong. But after that, they continue to call the other person the same derogatory words.

Posted

this ^^^

There is not "right or wrong" with taping. A lot of people (that are Asians) don't give a fuck about it and don't find it offensive at all. And some do. It all depended on how he handled the situation.

For example, a person calls another person a derogatory word without malicious intents. Then, they apologize for it and say they're wrong. But after that, they continue to call the other person the same derogatory words.

Just because there is a group of people who don't find it offensive doesn't override the fact that there IS a large group of people who are not comfortable with him taping. I mean, the cos community's response to finding out his actions was... really big. I don't know if you are in the cos community but I personally am and - many, many, people were not cool with it. There is no true 'right or wrong' for anything really, but I think we can agree that his actions and the way he went about it was clearly not the best. 

Also tbh, your example... doesn't really make sense - I think I understand what you were trying to do in the example but I don't know if it really works (in this particular context). Imitating one's culture vs. calling names are two very different things. I kind of get what you were getting at though. 

Posted

Has anyone watched Breakfast at Tiffany's? Remember that scene where Mickey Rooney comes out with prosthetics that made him look Asian? Everyone can have a debate whether that was racist or not, but it was a product of it's own time. 

Anyways, cultures are meant to be shared and offence is taken not given. I thought Knite's cosplays were really good, I especially liked his Ichimatsu. I didn't find anything wrong about him taping his eyes, especially since I'm Asian and I have small hooded almond eyes. I didn't find anything wrong with that, his Asian friends he cosplays with didn't find anything wrong with that, and was he really doing it with malicious intent? Was he outwardly saying, "Fuck your slanted eyes, fucking gooks." NO, he wasn't. And honestly, I feel like he was pressured to apologize (he probably read this thread and thought he done something wrong even though he really wasn't). 

The way many of you went about it was like a mother trying to protect her child, you're basically treating Asian people like children! Trying to get rid of something that might hurt them, but really keeping them away from something that they're going to see anyways. A lot of non Asians have slanted or hooded eyes, and so what's different from a White person taping their eyes to a Asian person wearing circle lenses to have their eyes seem bigger?

If anyone looks at Knite and then feel bad about their appearance, you need to fix your self esteem issues. There are going to be a bunch of beautiful people in the world, and you need to learn to love yourself. When I was 12, I was insecure about my weight and my looks and now when I look back at it,  it was my fault not other people's fault. It wasn't the girl that I admired's fault that I was the one with the self-esteem issues, it was my problem and it was my job to fix it. So I lost weight (I went about it in the wrong way of starvation), and I felt so much better about myself (I even stopped starving myself and started to exercise, knowing that if I starved myself for too long I could get a serious illness). My family stopped calling me fat, and I felt much more confident in myself after achieving a goal I wanted. I got to wear clothes I always wanted to wear without the insecurities telling me it wouldn't fit me. I'm 16 years old now, and I don't have the self esteem issues I once had, yeah their are times where I look at my eyes and thought to myself, "if only they were bigger". 

lol Sorry for the long post, I now have a baby chick to tend to. He keeps on crying and one of his feet is swollen, so I have to tend to it.      

Posted

cosplayer: *does something mean or problematic*

people: *call out the cosplayer*

cosplayer: wow i am DONE ! the cosplay community is SO TOXIC gosh :'(

(why is this a reoccurring theme with cosplayers? the community isn't bad, sure there's a bit of drama but that's because you made it. there are a bunch of lovely people in the cosplay com, and most of the people criticizing them aren't even in the cosplay community)

Posted

Anyway. This is not the place to debate that. It is not a matter of whether taping is wrong either way but the fact that he himself thinks hes doing something racist and continues to do it and not care if he offends, and that he lies, which ya know, is literally what this site is named after (liars). 

Posted (edited)

tbh i think the issue is more that he's using race as a prop for cosplay. but the thread has already discussed this...

Edited by tanuki
make shorter

Posted

All further race debates and posts will need to go here. At this point this thread is just going in circles and I think it's a conversation that would be better suited for the debate thread.

Posted

cosplayer: *does something mean or problematic*

people: *call out the cosplayer*

cosplayer: wow i am DONE ! the cosplay community is SO TOXIC gosh :'(

(why is this a reoccurring theme with cosplayers? the community isn't bad, sure there's a bit of drama but that's because you made it. there are a bunch of lovely people in the cosplay com, and most of the people criticizing them aren't even in the cosplay community)

it seems the cosplayers desperate for attention do this. They want to get people talking, more views and likes on a their page. Cosplay isn't what it used to be that's for sure. It's become so competitive that everyone is trying to one up the next. Better prop, hot body type, bigger bust size, muscle tone, and now it's morphing into an entire race??? Yeah it sounds crazy but that's what cosplayers think they have to do. Black face, eye taping etc. people just add it to the list of things they think is ok. But in reality, it's offensive and racist. It's no longer cosplay it's about race. 

Posted

Just because there is a group of people who don't find it offensive doesn't override the fact that there IS a large group of people who are not comfortable with him taping. I mean, the cos community's response to finding out his actions was... really big. I don't know if you are in the cos community but I personally am and - many, many, people were not cool with it. There is no true 'right or wrong' for anything really, but I think we can agree that his actions and the way he went about it was clearly not the best. 

Also tbh, your example... doesn't really make sense - I think I understand what you were trying to do in the example but I don't know if it really works (in this particular context). Imitating one's culture vs. calling names are two very different things. I kind of get what you were getting at though. 

I'm a cosplayer and Asian. lol And every single cosplayer/Anime fan I know IRL was okay with it. Literally no one complained and/or defended him (on Facebook).

There's a right and wrong if it directly harms someone, ie: murder, robbery, etc.

In this case, it's in the grey zone like racism. Saying "nigga" might trigger some, not others.

If anyone looks at Knite and then feel bad about their appearance, you need to fix your self esteem issues. There are going to be a bunch of beautiful people in the world, and you need to learn to love yourself. 

+1 I want to emphasize this. I am not blaming anyone who got offended over eyetaping. You need to love yourself and not get triggered by these things. People who lack self confidence are the types of people who get butthurt over little things.

Posted

Did anyone notice he deleted his hiatus post? Guess he really can't handle all the criticism. *shakes head*

Posted

You guys need to stop running in circles it's ridiculous. No one is mad at him, necessarily, because of the eye taping; they're mad because he said it was racist and then kept doing it. He's a hypocrite and all you guys have been doing is going over the same bs for the last few pages. Cultures is meant to be shared.. so what doesn't give you the right to what ever you want for the sake of "sharing and appreciating culture". I wouldn't bleach myself white just because I like European or North American culture regardless of what other white people think. Stop thinking that people getting upset of culture issues is because they don't love themselves ok. You sound like a white knight who defends snowflakes by telling everyone "you're just jealous" really? Some people have only learned to love themselves now because they weren't able to due to cultural and racial discrimination so don't go around telling them it's because they don't love themselves what would you know? I only learned to appreciate the fact that I'm black only a few years ago so of course I'm going to get upset when someone is able to get away with a cultural of physical appearance I as ridiculed for. 

Honestly this thread has turned into a joke, we either talk about the lies he has said and how hypocritical he can be or we stop talking about all together because obviously we're getting no where. smh

Posted

Did anyone notice he deleted his hiatus post? Guess he really can't handle all the criticism. *shakes head*

Yeah lol

I mean, once he took it off, he looks like a normal instagram again. I guess he's backtracking.

Posted

To the person saying he/she is okay with it while being Asian. Even if you actually are an Asian person and not just using this to making us agree to your opnion, you still cannot speak for every Asian person, same for your freinds. If there are Asians that are offened they have every right to do so. 

Posted

He seems to have deleted all comments relating to the taping. i think he might be off of hiatus then since he deleted the hiatus posts like previously mentioned. sooo i guess now we just wait to see if his next post will be normal, an apology, or taping again because "toxic community judging me and im not doing anything wrong ;(((" but i like highkey want this dude to just come clean. he seems very talented and all that junk.