• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

The most horrific thing you experienced at a con

103 posts in this topic

Posted

For those who attend conventions (anime, video games, comics, etc), what is the most horrific experience you have had? Looking for some interesting stories, especially if they concern weaboos/koreaboos, etc

Posted

Oh well,  here it comes 

>16yo me

>Went to a con

>Dave Strider cosplay,  pretty proud of it

>Waiting in the line to get tickets with friends

>DAVEEEKUNNNNNNNNNNNN!

>WTF.jpg

>Someone hugs me from behind really tight, i fell the boobs in my back. 

>I sweat nervously

>She makes me turn around

>She is bigger than me, and she  wearing cat ears and a cheap lolita skirt. Horrible. 

>"DAVE-KUN U ARE MY FAVORITE HOMESTUCK CHARACTERRR I AM SO HAPPY"

>o-okay_but_dont_eat_me.exe

>She hugs me again,  she kisses me on the cheek... And i feel a tongue in the "kiss”

>She dissapears like she appeared.

>Never cosplay Homestuck again. 

Posted

last year i cosplayed ryuko and a friend was in a casual robin from fire emblem at a library con.

so there was this group of homestuck cosplayers, and me, my friend, and a group were just talking and relaxing outside in the parking lot. so the group goes to harass us, calling us names and even threatening to hurt us just because we didnt cosplay homestuck or werent fans of it. it was awful and we all had to move somewhere else.

Posted

i stopped going to cons because "free hug" guys. A couple of years ago, me 15 years old went w/ my female friend to a con. Three hours into con and we were dead tired of walking. We go to the free area to sit and two 25 y/o guys, heavy metal stereotype (glasses, that awful half beard, baggy clothes) stand in front of us and hold a "free hugs" sign. I refuse, but my friend that is very friendly hugs them. They don't move and point at me. I said no with a smile, then no again and again until i have to tell them to go fuck themselves. One of the starts walking towards me. I walk back, he gets closer again. I had to push him, grab my friends hand and start running away from that motherfuckers. I spent the rest of the day praying I won't run into them and hiding.

Posted

Okay, so this happened a little under a year ago. My sister and I were at Anime Expo 2015 in La and we were walking around in our Attack on Titan cosplay. First off, when we are walking in the con area (where the booths are, don't know what its called) this huge, buff guy is just standing off to the side covered in chains and has a helmet that resembles Pyramid head from Silent Hill. My sister and I stop and look at him for a moment contemplating what he could do and I pull out my phone to snap chat his outfit. This Philippine guy that I'd say looked like he was in his late 20's or earlier 30's walks over to us and says "You can't photograph him unless you take one of these first" and proceeds to hand us some sort of Yaoi manga sample. Assuming that the guy is with that cosplayer, I ask him what exactly that cosplay was from. He looks at me dumbfounded and says something along the lines of "You don't know what he is from? Wow!" and wraps his arm around my sister.

He then gets inches from her face and is saying weird shit like "You need to come with me. Let's ditch this guy.". He's trying to pull her away and I'm just standing there like what the fuck? She's obviously uncomfortable that some weird old yaoi dude is touching her and she's like only 18. I grab her and pull her away from that weird ass and tell him her and I need to go somewhere. He just watched us walk away and we didn't run into him from the rest of the day -- thank god.

TLDR; Weird Philippine yaoi guy invades personal space and tries to take my sister.

Posted

Hugged one of those "free hug" guys and he kissed me on the cheek. The con I went to was doing a "zombie theme" so many people were cosplaying their favorite characters as zombies, and a zombie Sailor Moon bit me on the hand. :amgplz:

Posted (edited)

I dressed up as Babydoll from Sucker Punch one year (BIIIIIG mistake) and I, being the naive teenager that I was, didn't think I would get creeped on too much. I expected some stares and picture requests from dudes, but nothing too crazy. Whelp, I was dead wrong. All day I was harrassed by guys, mostly OLDER guys in their 30s and even 40s. I got whistled at and catcalled quite a bit, especially when walking outside, but I have a super thick skin so I didn't really care too much.
Then.... this fucking guy.... basically just ruined my entire weekend for me. My friend and I were walking past a booth and I saw a guy dressed up as one of my all time favourite video game characters, Snow from Final Fantasy. We both got really excited and asked him to take a photo with us. He seemed super polite and close to our age so we did NOT expect what was coming next. He politely agrees to take a photo with me and my friend gets her camera ready. So we start posing in our character's stances and smiling and then he wraps his arm around me and I kid you not - grabbed my fucking ass right as the picture took, and then leaned over and whispered in my ear "you're my little babydoll~" in a creepy ass raspy voice. I immediately flinched away from him and went "what the hell?" and as I started to back away his polite smile suddenly reappears on his face and he goes "aww come on, I was only joking. You're just so cute I couldn't resist." then he asks ME, not my friend and I, if I want to "hang out" with him for a couple hours. I immediately tell him no in a firm voice but he continues to pester me until my friend grabs my hand and pulls me away.
We start walking away from the booth he was at as fast as possible, and continue on our way. We try to laugh it off and forget about it, just enjoying the con, when about 10-15 minutes later I see him in the corner of my eye standing across from us, smiling at me creepily. We immediately begin walking towards one of the exits, trying to lose him in the crowd. I look behind me and I see him a few people down from us, walking towards us with this fucking determined serial killer look in his eye. Right at that moment I bumped into one of the security guards standing by the door, and he immediately sees we are flustered and panicked. We point out the guy to him and as he starts walking towards him the perv guy just BOOKS it in the other direction. The security guard chased him down and got him kicked out. Apparently he'd harrassed a couple other girls earlier that day and they had been keeping an eye on him. Needless to say it was an experience I'll never forget and the only time I've ever felt truly terrified at a con before. 

TLDR; ran into a perverted creep at a con that stalked me and grabbed my ass

Edited by Veevee

Posted

The only bad story I have so far is creepy people taking photos without my consent. I had no problem when people asked to take photos with me, or of me.... but its the ones who, you see in the corner of your eye standing with their phone out, trying not to look too suspicious as they take a photo of your ass, or as you turn around because you thought you saw something you see someone behind you taking your photo, or as you're walking theres a man coming towards you with his phone out aimed at your body.... :darth: 

Posted

I love hearing stories like these :alpacacrush: (sorry you all had to experience in though)

though nothing too bad has happened to me thus far, one of the main problems I have at conventions is people lingering.. I'm sure many have had this happen where people just try to stick around and talk for longer than they should and it gets awkward. Eventually it gets to the point where they are basically just following you.. then when you finally manage to get away you run into them again and repeat the cycle.. yeah.

Posted

Those stories make me wonder, do you have con security where you're living? Here in Germany it became a common thing to have security at conventions and in case something like that happens you can notify them and often those guys get at least a warning, sometimes even removed from the convention area ._.

The most shittiest things that happened to me always happened outside of the conventions (aside from the regular weirdos acting out). You know, those guys (#notallmen) who think they can harass you because you're dressed up. Or maybe I just forgot about the bad things at the cons...

Posted

- Went to con, was sawn by a stranger/new person in our group, stranger run towards me and huged me, drestroyed the wings of my cosplay, clumpsy girl messaged me after the con that she feels sorry and want to repair the wings, insists that i shall bring them the next meeting because she feels terribly sorry, so me brings the wings and gives them to her so she can repair them, girl blocks me after the meeting, uses the wings for her own cosplay and tells our group i am a terrible person and i claim that her wings are not made by her, group does not know what to believe as she changed the design of the wings a bit, everyone remains unsure about the incident but lets it go, girl never shows up in front of me again and has my 70$ wings, everyone forgives her since she is more kawaii ugu than me and totally made the wings herself nya, later find out that happened to a lot of people, girl never shows up at any cons again when noticing people talk about it, dissapears with my wings forever

- stranger took photo of me and didn't leave, followed me all weekend, creeped my out, harrassed my friends, ruined our weekend, tried to get our email addresses all the time, extremely unpleasent

- gave weapon to the weapon check at the entrance of the con, when passing later seeing how the people who take care of the weapons play aroudn with it since the door was a little bit open, went there immediately to get my weapon, weapon was damaged, people apologized and said it fell over by accident, denied to have played with it

- joined a showgroup, made costumes and accessoires for them for the showact, donated a lot of money to them, told them i need my costumes back after the last time they need it onstage, after months members still keep my stuff, i talk to them at cons and tell them they still got my stuff, am being contacted by the leader of the group a day after that, she tells me i am kicked out of the group for harrassing members, i tell her i want my stuff back since i am not part of them anymore, she promised me to contact the members and hand it over at the next con, didn't happen, i messaged her again, met up with her, she gave me just one costume, rest was missing, she denied i ever gave more costumes, members claimed they made it themselves, i asked anyone who knew i made the stuff, they told me they couldn't remember it, kept their costumes, blocked me, lost around 500$

Posted

Those stories make me wonder, do you have con security where you're living? Here in Germany it became a common thing to have security at conventions and in case something like that happens you can notify them and often those guys get at least a warning, sometimes even removed from the convention area ._.

The most shittiest things that happened to me always happened outside of the conventions (aside from the regular weirdos acting out). You know, those guys (#notallmen) who think they can harass you because you're dressed up. Or maybe I just forgot about the bad things at the cons...

In America smaller convention usually won't have a lot of security, unfortunately. Then the problem at big convention is that the security will only give warnings/consider it not big enough to deal with. many conventions there are known people for sexually harassing, yet they are still there. it's really unfortunate :-/

there is even a story about momo con on youtube about a cosplayer being harassed BY SECURITY/STAFF

Posted (edited)

went to a con to see how it looks like i wasnt even dressing as something, i was just walking around and looking at the overrated prices, and how poor i was, then sudenly someone hug me from the back and lift me up and scream "I GOT A LOLI WAIFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" while grabing like everything

dang i was like 13, then i ran like there was no way out and eat something, and  a weird woman came to me with a super big camera and told me to get in pose because she was going to take me pictures (like there was no please, she was DEMANDING ) and i was like ..err im not cosplaying

i dont care she said, im taking pictures for my daughters...and your daughters are....like where? i said, 

she got mad with an angry look and spill the soda in my food :stoplz: 

and there, never went to a con after.

BY THE WAY THE DUDE WAS LIKE 30 OR SOMETHING

Edited by Nevada

Posted

The first con I ever went to I was about 12, I went with my dad, my sister (aged 10) and my best friend, same age as me. We literally split up with my dad for a few minutes so he and my sister could go to a stall whilst me and my friend went to get something at another one. A guy came up to us and asked us for a photo (We were wearing reaaaaly crappy lolita-esqe twin outfits) and when we refused because we didn't feel comfortable having our photo on some guy's phone he followed us around for a bit asking until we found my dad, who asked him very sternly if he needed help. he left us alone after that but we left pretty soon after since me and my friend were so terrified. Absolutely ruined our day :alpacaworry2:

Posted

oh wow your stories are horrifying q_q     i havent been to cons in a long time (assuming i was already old when i was 16 and already couldnt stand the people there)   and didnt really make horrible experiences. the bronie/furry/hug me loli chan neck beards were horrifying enough and my ex is friends with my con friends so that makes it even less attractive. 
letsss see, one of my best friends still goes to cons and always has a table in the artist ally. some guy (probs with some ears on) approached her and wanted to be patted on the head and regularly came by for head pats. (he approached lots of girls for head pats) then later he told her he gets really aroused when people pat his head. brr