• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Opinion on posts about minors

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Just because I’ve seen a lot of posts (particularly in online personalities) where people are going after minors, or as some say “alleged minors.” I think there should be a line drawn, because some of what gets targeted at minors is harassment and “encouraging harassment.” Just- as a law student there are a lot of gray areas with this and I wouldn’t want people just trying to spread awareness to get in trouble. 

But at the same time there should be a level of awareness, anyone under the age of eighteen should not be brought up to the chopping block by a bunch of adults. Adults harassing minors- is very much illegal. Even if it’s unintentional, pages upon pages of smack talk on a minor, is harassment and there probably should be a line drawn there. Sure! As soon as their eighteen expose them as much as you like, but your probably giving the kid exactly what they want.

This is just the opinion of one person. People are definitely free to disagree with me, but I think there should maybe be more moderation given on subjects involving children. Whether or not you agree, legally anyone under eighteen is considered a child. They can be an asshole, but it’s not the job of adults who are not their parents to deal with it.

Posted

I agree 100%.

I know there are 16 and 17 year olds who wanna act grown and whatnot, but that's still a child. Not about to post on an anonymous forum for 18+ to throw shade at 17 year old for being a snowflake, or make fun of how they can't handle criticism.

Like bro it's a kid lol chill yknow

Posted

I hate seeing people go after minors on here because they are still CHILDREN. They make mistakes and they should be corrected not be posted on here.

Posted

Makes me kinda uncomfy that adults in their 20s are even watching teenage youtubers in the first place.

Posted

I agree 100%.

I know there are 16 and 17 year olds who wanna act grown and whatnot, but that's still a child. Not about to post on an anonymous forum for 18+ to throw shade at 17 year old for being a snowflake, or make fun of how they can't handle criticism.

Like bro it's a kid lol chill yknow

Exactly! Like yeah of course they can’t handle criticism they’re kids! They can’t handle criticism objectively like most adults! So yeah definitely agree

Posted

Hello.

We have taken your critiques regarding the age of snowflakes into consideration and the minimum age has been raised to 18. 

If you see any new posts/topics about anyone under the age of 18, please report.

Thank you!

Posted

Oh hi, Biscuit!

Congrats on becoming admin

Posted (edited)

Little shady business I see here. Sus that a user with barely any reputation and just joined is admin. And to not announce it as well 

Even more sus that a certain users controversial post have been deleted to make their image better.

wonder if I’ll be silenced after this post.
funny how this website is now the thing they were against ain’t that right @Nyx?

Edited by Monocakes
Add

Posted

Little shady business I see here. Sus that a user with barely any reputation and just joined is admin. And to not announce it as well 

Even more sus that a certain users controversial post have been deleted to make their image better.

funny how this website is now the thing they were against ain’t that right @Nyx?

I think there was also a mod who had only a handful of posts and reputation. Have never seen that mod since tho.

Heard its because the mod requested to start w/ a clean account or sth? Which imo is just bullshit because why the fuck is it allowed by mods but not users when there's a rule pointing on it?

We need clear answers

Posted

Shadow's a friend who's mostly here to help me with tech work, like Rhea. They have temp admin access so they can help with the back end coding. 

Biscuit asked to have her account banned, Shadow (being new and not really being used to the mod console) accidentally flagged all her posts as spam, I'm trying to reinstate important ones like first posts in threads. 

I think there was also a mod who had only a handful of posts and reputation. Have never seen that mod since tho.

Heard its because the mod requested to start w/ a clean account or sth? Which imo is just bullshit because why the fuck is it allowed by mods but not users when there's a rule pointing on it?

We need clear answers

If a mod asks to start with a clean account though it's a little bit of a different matter. Sometimes users make posts with personally identifying information; PULL mods / admins have been targeted before so it's for their own safety. If users want to remove personally identifying info they can edit their posts. 

Posted

Shadow's a friend who's mostly here to help me with tech work, like Rhea. They have temp admin access so they can help with the back end coding. 

Biscuit asked to have her account banned, Shadow (being new and not really being used to the mod console) accidentally flagged all her posts as spam, I'm trying to reinstate important ones like first posts in threads. 

If a mod asks to start with a clean account though it's a little bit of a different matter. Sometimes users make posts with personally identifying information; PULL mods / admins have been targeted before so it's for their own safety. If users want to remove personally identifying info they can edit their posts. 

Thanks for the reply, but sorry I dont take most of this good.

Firstly on the issue on Biscuit, why is it that most of her controversial posts recently just got flagged as spam that conveniently? I am not saying this is entirely impossible, but it just reeks because if then why are not most of her posts gone? I would believe it much more if it was a random user having their posts gone to be very honest. 

Now on the mod issue. Okay, so you're telling me mods and admins can have the privilege to get a new account to get them into safety from being attacked. That's fine, but then I'm not sure if you know users are much more vulnerable to attacks and just by removing personal info is not enough when people have already tracked you down w/ whatever method possible.

I know some users who get threatened and even got the risk of being doxxed but they had no choice but to leave the site, because we can't get 2nd accounts. The rule itself is understandable and good enough to keep it, but not so much anymore when there are exceptions allowed.

Tldr; your replies aren't making the entire sense judging by the rules.

Posted (edited)

Firstly on the issue on Biscuit, why is it that most of her controversial posts recently just got flagged as spam that conveniently? I am not saying this is entirely impossible, but it just reeks because if then why are not most of her posts gone? I would believe it much more if it was a random user having their posts gone to be very honest. 

Now on the mod issue. Okay, so you're telling me mods and admins can have the privilege to get a new account to get them into safety from being attacked. That's fine, but then I'm not sure if you know users are much more vulnerable to attacks and just by removing personal info is not enough when people have already tracked you down w/ whatever method possible.

I know some users who get threatened and even got the risk of being doxxed but they had no choice but to leave the site, because we can't get 2nd accounts. The rule itself is understandable and good enough to keep it, but not so much anymore when there are exceptions allowed.

It's really not a matter of hiding "controversial" posts, that's not something I really care at all about. The flagging happened a few days ago, I've been slowly going back through her HUNDREDS of posts, trying to start with threads, it's really annoying to deal with stuff like that.

I've had a couple of users come to me with concerns along those lines. I have made a few exceptions, but I haven't really had many people ask for that? I'm not super rigid or unreasonable, I'm pretty open with to whatever, within reason as long as I'm comunicated with. The intention behind the rule is to keep people from making a few accounts and posting from them to influence board culture. Some people have made 10+ accounts, that kind of behavior is more what I target. If anyone wants a second account because they've been compromised, they can get in touch with me, I don't think I've ever turned anyone down for that.

Edited by Nyx

Posted

Hello.

I would like to first apologize for the trouble I seem to have caused. I legitimately flagged Biscuit as a spammer and did not realize it would hide all of their posts. I thought that flagging as a spammer was the quickest/easiest route to ban the account per the user’s request. I was very clearly mistaken. I did try to unflag them, but it did not seem to unhide any of their posts. As Nyx stated, we're combing through Biscuit's posts and trying to reinstate the important ones first (like threads started).

I am not nor do I know Biscuit. I have known Nyx for years and I have offered my assistance in an attempt to help her with the site (particularly the backend) as in speaking with her, I know that the site is quite busy.

I do sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding.

Posted

It's really not a matter of hiding "controversial" posts, that's not something I really care at all about. The flagging happened a few days ago, I've been slowly going back through her HUNDREDS of posts, trying to start with threads, it's really annoying to deal with stuff like that.

I've had a couple of users come to me with concerns along those lines. I have made a few exceptions, but I haven't really had many people ask for that? I'm not super rigid or unreasonable, I'm pretty open with to whatever, within reason as long as I'm comunicated with. The intention behind the rule is to keep people from making a few accounts and posting from them to influence board culture. Some people have made 10+ accounts, that kind of behavior is more what I target. If anyone wants a second account because they've been compromised, they can get in touch with me, I don't think I've ever turned anyone down for that.

Well that's really rich coming from someone who has been gone for months w/o any notice for several times. People would rather poof than wait for you to get them a second account after like what, months later?

Alright, whatever you say. You're the admin here and I'll just stop since I'll be derailing this topic further.

Posted (edited)

I'm confused. Every post of hers is intact up until February, regardless of importance, and then everything's gone save one random post from May 17 :alpacaconfused:

Screenshot_20200527-181557_Chrome.jpg

I guess the "flag as spam" function is a bit buggy and inconsistent, but I hope you can see why it looks like they've been removed manually, one by one.

On an other note, I thought users are not allowed to get banned on request. Has there been a change to the rules?

Screenshot_20200527-180603_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-180549_Chrome.jpg

Generally speaking the "rules are subject to change without notice" thing is not the most constructive approach if you truly want to see improvement in board culture. You can't exactly expect people, especially long time users to check on the rules every few weeks in case they have changed. Putting a small notice in the announcement box at the top of the page shouldn't take more than 3 minutes, from my experience.

Edited by Rocking Horse Fly
formatting