• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.
    • Reputation Has Increased!   07/06/20

Hello. You have been asking for it and it is finally here. We have increased the number of reputation given in a day from 25 to 50. We will see how well 50 works out and if that is enough. Please continue to provide feedback and we will reevaluate as needed. This change has been added to the site changes thread located here. Happy repping. Thank you.

Unpopular Opinion (JPOP edition)

26 posts in this topic

Posted

E-girls is disbanding this year and the sub unit Happiness is joining 88 rising. I’m curious to see how they handle a group like Happiness because I like their songs and don’t want them to sound too different 

pls say sike

Posted

pls say sike

I wish I could, but it’s been confirmed. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if he's considered under Jpop but I find Mafumafu's higher voice grating. I really wanna understand the hype around him but instead of enjoying his songs, I find myself exhausted with how he tries to achieve the higher notes. I'm not sure if it's just the nature of his songs with all that fast-paced and upbeat beats and rhythms but it's a struggle listening to his voice.

Edited by pistoche

Posted

I love Koda Kumi as an Individual but god damn I cannot stand her newer stuff. The quantity over quality is really showing in her songs.

MM hit their peak after the golden era

Perfume needs to tell Nakata to stop giving them shit songs. Future pop Album was shit.

Bring back Capsule 

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if he's considered under Jpop but I find Mafumafu's higher voice grating. I really wanna understand the hype around him but instead of enjoying his songs, I find myself exhausted with how he tries to achieve the higher notes. I'm not sure if it's just the nature of his songs with all that fast-paced and upbeat beats and rhythms but it's a struggle listening to his voice.

(Internationally at least) I think a lot of hype started around him due to his YouTube channel?

Also, some of my own unpopular opinions about him (/his friends):

- compared to his friends who are also Jpop/"Utaite" singers I feel like he has the most annoying international fans. He's almost thirty yet his fans baby him like he's a child?

- On top of babying him they also refuse to acknowledge anything problematic that he or anyone in his singing friends circle says or does.

- (Also is no one concerned about the fact that he very obviously has an eating disorder?!)

Edited by Serenity

Posted (edited)

KAT TUN > Arashi.

Miliyah Katou > Namie Amuro.

I never really got why Mika Nakashima's yuki no Hana became such a hit. It's not a bad song by any means, I like it. But she has much better songs.

A lot of jpop female singers would sound a milion times better without those fake high pitched voices.

Sayaka Shionoya flopped debut was honestly such wasted potential. 

Edited by Kiko

Posted

(Internationally at least) I think a lot of hype started around him due to his YouTube channel?

Also, some of my own unpopular opinions about him (/his friends):

- compared to his friends who are also Jpop/"Utaite" singers I feel like he has the most annoying international fans. He's almost thirty yet his fans baby him like he's a child?

- On top of babying him they also refuse to acknowledge anything problematic that he or anyone in his singing friends circle says or does.

- (Also is no one concerned about the fact that he very obviously has an eating disorder?!)

what are the problematic things they've done? the only thing i could find about mafumafu is a pedo joke

Posted

what are the problematic things they've done? the only thing i could find about mafumafu is a pedo joke

It's usually his friends who say some problematic things. It's usually about girls though, like what they should look and how they should act (something along those lines). Just your typical traditionalist Asian views. I'm not sure though if there's anything beyond that. 

Posted (edited)

Like @Pistoche said, his friends do/say more problematic things than he has. (I'll try to put anything I can remember off the top of my head under spoiler so it doesn't spam the thread.)

- I know Luz has had I think 2 scandals? One of them he actually shaved his head and went on hiatus for awhile for. The details of it are kinda complicated and most translators didn't want to translate the full story so I don't think it's too well known in the English fandom?

- I read in the Japan side of the utaite fandom that those Urata/Sakata/I think a third person has each had a scandal but I honestly don't remember the details right now.

- Like Pistoche said, Soraru in particular over the years can say some things that oversea fans could interpret as pretty blunt/rude. Unless you speak Japanese though I've noticed most utaite translators will intentionally leave those parts of what he said out of their translations so oversea fans won't know/get offended.

- This is probably considered more sketchy than problematic, but I know that Amatsuki singer has gotten some obvious PS over the years but on Twitter atleast he said his face just changed due to "massages". His Japanese fans seemed to have noticed his PS though?

In terms of mafumafu:

- This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like his lifestyle could be considered kind of problematic? He's in a constant circle of never taking care of himself, only eating junk food, extreme dieting (He's 178cm tall but only 51-52kg's ?! That's not normal), and passing out and ending up in the hospital. He's been doing this for years.

- Once again this one is probably considered more sketchy than problematic, But I feel like it should be noted that he is close friends with that Mahoto youtuber who was arrested a year ago for abusing his girlfriend and sending her to the hospital. Mahoto's scandal was discussed a bit over in the Mimei and Duncan thread.

I know mafumafu has talked a lot about being very bullied and abused in the past, so personally I find it kinda sketchy that despite that he still appears to be friends with /associates himself with someone who was literally arrested for doing that stuff?

Edited by Serenity
Typo

Posted (edited)

wow, interesting to know! i don't follow any utaites or do anything beyond listening to their music on youtube and i think i'll keep it that way lol

do you know anything about nqrse, shoose, or wotamin by any chance?

Edited by bell