• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Covid-19 Discussion Thread

63 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

New Damage Report Memes | Star Trek Memes, Picard Memes, Trump Memes

A containment thread for all things surrounding the current COVID-19 Pandemic. Pour all your thoughts and worries about it here, this includes rants, local updates, how it affects you, how well you think your government is handling it, etc

What we know so far:

• First recorded case was in Wuhan, China.
  • Symptoms for most people are a headache, dry cough and fever. The disease poses a higher risk of deadly complications for immuno-compromised and elderly individuals, however, and there have been cases of 'perfectly healthy' young people dying from the disease.
  • While it's mortality rate is significantly lower than other viruses, such as ebola and SARS, it is more contagious and spreads quickly, and its longer incubation period makes it slower to detect.
  • As of 29/03/20, the total number of cases worldwide is 664,227, and the number of deaths is 30,890, with the USA having the highest number of cases and Italy with the highest number of deaths. This site updates the statistics as they are recorded.
  • Many countries have closed their borders and restricted travel in an attempt to slow the spread.
  • The WHO and CDC have advised the public to practise proper hygiene, social distancing and self-isolation to slow the spread of the virus until effective treatments are developed.

Further Information:
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2Findex.html

https://twitter.com/bnodesk

Easy to follow video on how covid-19 affects your body

-

If there's any other factual details you think I should add to the thread, please let me know! I'll try to update this thread whenever there's new global developments.

Edited by narutired

Posted

I truly don't understand why people are still hanging out in large groups in the public then have a cry when the police come and shut it down, and those who are purposely spitting on open and closed goods, coughing on people, chewing and putting back foods, what the fuck? Do people actually not care or do they think it's a joke? At first it was just mainly the elderly and now babies, children, healthy teens and young adults are dying, I've always been someone who gets paranoid easily and this has seriously made me not wanna leave my house even for groceries, no thanks

Posted

I truly don't understand why people are still hanging out in large groups in the public then have a cry when the police come and shut it down, and those who are purposely spitting on open and closed goods, coughing on people, chewing and putting back foods, what the fuck? Do people actually not care or do they think it's a joke? At first it was just mainly the elderly and now babies, children, healthy teens and young adults are dying, I've always been someone who gets paranoid easily and this has seriously made me not wanna leave my house even for groceries, no thanks

Omg that massive crowd at Bondi the other day (and other beaches), why, just fucking why people?! :derp:

Side note, but I watched a middle aged woman cough her guts up in her hand yesterday and then use that same hand to enter a store. Covid19 aside, people are disgustang!

I'm with you on hiding out at home :ph34r:

Posted

Omg that massive crowd at Bondi the other day (and other beaches), why, just fucking why people?! :derp:

Side note, but I watched a middle aged woman cough her guts up in her hand yesterday and then use that same hand to enter a store. Covid19 aside, people are disgustang!

I'm with you on hiding out at home :ph34r:

Bondi... holy shit I didn't realise how stupid humans could be, and I think I even read up that Cronulla was being guarded by cops, still isn't stopping people - hell even some of my mates are getting together to hang, how hard is it to just stay fucking home unless you actually need to go out and get shit? Like my boyfriend lives right down the road, course I miss him but I don't wanna risk it, Snapchat works just fine 

Posted (edited)

Bondi... holy shit I didn't realise how stupid humans could be, and I think I even read up that Cronulla was being guarded by cops, still isn't stopping people - hell even some of my mates are getting together to hang, how hard is it to just stay fucking home unless you actually need to go out and get shit? Like my boyfriend lives right down the road, course I miss him but I don't wanna risk it, Snapchat works just fine 

Particularly in our country LMAO. First toilet paper and now this? And did you see the oblivious uni students on spring break in Miami? They all had ridiculous reasoning but one of them literally said "we've been planning this for two months, nothing's gonna stand in the way of our fun hurdur". Like sure, the media whipped the public into an unnecessary frenzy but that doesn't mean we should completely ignore the recommendations lol. I'm glad you're staying safe, I wish more people would take at least some precautions :|

Edited by Purinpuff
Typooooo

Posted

God same, where I live the government shut down the bars and dine in service at restaurants, yet people would either buy alcohol and sit outside the bars and drink or the bar owners themselves would secretly open and shut the doors when the police passed 🙄 They had to move from issuing fines to straight up arresting bar owners. Now they've restricted movement even further because a dumbass local tv personality made a video claiming that he had covid, but instead of self-isolating he went to work and to the bank and basically contaminated those areas.  And majority of our cases so far came from a group of people who went a cruise despite warnings against it.

Posted

Ikrrr there's people in my area traveling in large groups outside or not distancing themselves in the park near where I live. It's so weird aren't taking precaution when there's like 41 COVID-19 cases in my city. My mom thinks the reason why the cases went up and got worse was because of people leaving for spring break and partying because it used to only be a steady 2 cases for several weeks before it suddenly jumped up for the past couple of weeks.

Posted

I honestly cannot stand seeing gloves being thrown on the parking lot ground. It’s so disgusting that ppl can’t even pick up after themselves. Like it’s not hard to toss your gloves in the trash or keep a trash bag on you.

Posted

We've been in shelter-in-place for almost two weeks now and my state has just announced that it will be extended until May. Meanwhile 60% of the population who aren't essential workers or buying important things are still out and about dicking around because they think it wouldn't happen to them. Then they get it and wonder where everything went wrong but not before they infect others. It doesn't matter if you're healthy as a horse and you beat it, you're putting other's at risk because you could be carrying it and passing it on without knowing it.

Personal rant

I wish my dumbfuck brother would get the hint, but he keeps going out every night because he wants to hang out with his equally dumb as shit friends. The LAST thing we need is for him to get infected and to bring it into my house. My breathing sucks as I'm still recovering from a nasty infection, 1/2 the people in my family have moderate-severe asthma and all adults are both old and diabetic (I live very close to my relatives, and we regularly see each other daily so you can imagine how easy it would be for one of us to get sick and then pass it on). In the absolute worst case scenario that shitbag could get all of us sick and we wouldn't survive. I mean, a cough almost killed me because I couldn't breathe, who's to say this brand new virus wouldn't 1-2 punch me into a 6-foot hole. My parents chewed his ass out when they found out he was out partying, but the fucker doesn't learn and he won't realize it until it's too late. 

Posted

shelter in place in the US has been extended by another month. I am so tired of this. the US cases have now surpassed China's and I'm thinking about how all this could've been prevented if things had been handled properly from the get go. I myself have been having not so great respiratory pain but I'm thinking that it's a byproduct of having what appeared to be a sinus infection. I'm tired of looking at the news and seeing more and more things crop up that sadden me. One of my few escapisms has been watching movies and lame videos, writing occasionally… this has been difficult. I'm about to drop one of my classes because the professor is demanding a workload that's too heavy for me and I'm not up to par at all for it. It's not even integral to what's going to be my new degree, I'm just testing the waters for it. I'm so fucking exhausted.

Posted

I was curious about the trending topic, so I clicked to see what people are saying. My brain literally dried up reading the first 5 tweets.

This one is one of the many stupid tweets I'm seeing:

https://twitter.com/pastorlocke/status/1244598719007391745

h26KEo2.png

WELL GREG, YOU SEE, HEALTHY PEOPLE CAN STILL BE CARRIERS OF THE VIRUS. But common sense is likely not part of his everyday life.

Posted

I'm pretty sure I'm living in the most surreal country to be right now... which is Japan. It feels like I'm in some weird alternate reality. I know the situation can't be great here, but we don't have accurate numbers, not enough testing is being done and it's extremely hard to get tested (at least in most places). Yet hospitals are oddly quiet and people aren't rapidly dying. What tf is happening?

Tokyo may lockdown but I'm not sure if that would affect other prefectures. We already had a state of emergency where I live which didn't really change much of my daily life but people definitely weren't out as often. People have gotten lax. That has maybe changed in the past few days, but it's moving season and people are transferring/starting jobs. The start of the new fiscal year is tomorrow, which also means it's the start of the new school year. Schools reopen next week, but we have to wear masks despite masks not being available. Cases have gone up in Tokyo after the Olympics were postponed. I can tell my schools do take this seriously, but my coworkers don't really know how to react to what's happening. They see me being distracted as me being bored, but really it's just hard to wrap my head around my current reality. I think it's also that way for many of them too, but they have to continue acting as if everything is normal and start the new school year.

I honestly don't know what is going to happen here. Even if cases spike because they kept numbers low, why have people not been dying? Why are some Japanese so against increased testing? The virus has been here. I'm pretty sure I've had it before it really became known. My friends feel they have too. All I can really do is wait and see what happens.

Posted

my mum works in a hospital, there's been 4 staff (just) in her ward, that have had symptoms or have been in contact with people who have had symptoms of the covid-19, did occupational health test them? tell them to not come into work? neither they did abso-fucking-lutely nothing. It's not like it could be easily spread through a major hospital or that the majority of my mum's patients are old and/or diabetic. 

The reaction to covid-19 has been incredibly annoying. and I also wish the goddamn news channels would talk about ANYTHING else. just a continuous 24hr loop of covid-19 scare-mongering. 

(tin foil hat time: I don't believe Boris Johnson has it at all)

Posted

so, i read somewhere you should always look at the number of deaths & recovered, than cases

well we have more deaths than recovered people, which is bad bec it means we aren't flattening the curve anytime soon. just this afternoon, i saw people bringing their kids in the park. like WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU LET YOUR KIDS PLAY OUTSIDE?! kids can also be infected!!!!!!!!!! ffs some people shouldn't be parents 🤦