• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Eat Your Kimchi (Simon and Martina)

536 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I the only one who noticed that the guy at the center of the "Is it ok to recline your seat on an airplane?" bears a remarkable resemblance to Simon?

He looks like Andrew Rea / Babish to me, lmao

Posted

He looks like Andrew Rea / Babish to me, lmao

lol!  Yeah, him too.

Posted

Another thing that particularly annoyed me about their time in Korea is the amount of easy content that they didn't make back when they even had a car! All it takes is a day trip to get to so many places with so much different food and experiences. The got that car and took 1 road trip to Busan and only stopped in other places to eat at a restaurant lol

Even their WANK series was so...safe. They still stayed in the city. They just got lucky that nobody else was vlogging in Korea at the time.

Posted

Having both a chronic debilitating illness and recently moved from one (still very new to me) capital city to another very new to me capital city--its easy to get stuck in your routine of work, grocery, and maybe gym. I had years of daydreams about what I would see, do, eat when I moved to the first city--like I would basically never have a "veg at home" day. But once I got there, I could hardly do anything outside the normal day and by the time I left I had only gotten to learn a little bit about my longtime dream city. Its not that I didn't want to go and do cool things, but there was the worry at the back of my mind that I'd get there, or halfway through my trip, or even on the way home I'd have a flare up that would ruin not just that day, but the next several. A setback that could easily derail all the "good" habits that help me manage/alleviate  my symptoms. Faced with this, it was easy to sit back and not venture outside my set schedule. 

That being said, I am also not a content creator. My livelihood does not depend on whether or not I can go do these cool new things--and maybe id have been able to go and do these things if more than 8hrs a week day hadn't been eaten up at a job. 

Posted

Having both a chronic debilitating illness and recently moved from one (still very new to me) capital city to another very new to me capital city--its easy to get stuck in your routine of work, grocery, and maybe gym. I had years of daydreams about what I would see, do, eat when I moved to the first city--like I would basically never have a "veg at home" day. But once I got there, I could hardly do anything outside the normal day and by the time I left I had only gotten to learn a little bit about my longtime dream city. Its not that I didn't want to go and do cool things, but there was the worry at the back of my mind that I'd get there, or halfway through my trip, or even on the way home I'd have a flare up that would ruin not just that day, but the next several. A setback that could easily derail all the "good" habits that help me manage/alleviate  my symptoms. Faced with this, it was easy to sit back and not venture outside my set schedule. 

That being said, I am also not a content creator. My livelihood does not depend on whether or not I can go do these cool new things--and maybe id have been able to go and do these things if more than 8hrs a week day hadn't been eaten up at a job. 

I appreciate and sympathize with your and Martina's experience, but that's a huge difference. You weren't living (relatively) comfortably not working. It's understandable to not have the energy or other reasons to not physically exert yourself if you have a condition. But it's wild to me that someone who brands herself as so uwu childlike and creative can't think of more ways to create content when the reason she is able to live out her dreams is based on the contract she/they have to their million+ subscribers and agency and embassy is to actually be entertainers. If there is another issue like depression that gets in the way of her doing much outside of her house, then maybe Japan isn't the place for them? There are cultural and language barriers to getting treatment for mental health, which is a large facet of chronic pain conditions.

I hate to seem so negative, but I really think they need to grow up. They probably aren't going to be able to coast on just being aging hipsters in random countries forever. If they had to move back to Canada suddenly, what would they even do for work or money? Obviously a lot of effort has to go into building a channel like theirs, but they seem stuck in arrested development without a lot of skills to show for it while deep into their 30s. 

In Canada, if neither of them had a regular 9-5 or a steady stream of well paying freelance work, there's no way in hell they could live in Toronto just chilling because life is hard and Martina shouldn't have to work. They couldn't afford Toronto in 2020 period tbh. I wouldn't know as an American, but I don't think most sick or disabled Canadians have gourmet food adventures and travel internationally a few times a year while living on government pension. They just seem entitled to me at this point.

Posted (edited)

I appreciate and sympathize with your and Martina's experience, but that's a huge difference. You weren't living (relatively) comfortably not working. It's understandable to not have the energy or other reasons to not physically exert yourself if you have a condition. 

I literally end my post with pointing out that their job is to do these cool things. My post was sympathetic to a point, but ended with me pointing out that I have a 9-5 that takes up my time and energy and Simon and Martina's literal job is exploring a new place. 

Edited by babbles

Posted

I literally end my post with pointing out that their job is to do these cool things. My post was sympathetic to a point, but ended with me pointing out that I have a 9-5 that takes up my time and energy and Simon and Martina's literal job is exploring a new place. 

:alpacaconfused: I got that and was agreeing with your point, but I think you're giving them too much credit for the exact reason you pointed out. Making videos about the country they live in is their entire brand and identity at this point.

Posted

They make natto puns and get confused about how to eat it. Looks like it might have been a little pricey.

Posted

They make natto puns and get confused about how to eat it. Looks like it might have been a little pricey.

They could've told us more about what natto is, where it's from, how you're supposed to eat it, etc - or even made a side by side comparison between this fancy type and regular combini natto. Only got little blips of actual info. It was mostly bad puns and martina in that ridiculous pig hat.

Posted

Agreed, very underwhelming video. 

Posted

It has been discussed here, I just don't know which pages, if you are interested you can go through the topic and check.

Posted

somebody on twitter found this legit academic article on EYK. 

so there is, a fully supported argument that says they're not pulling their weight in their videos & the content they do. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319498242_Vlogging_White_Privilege_Abroad_Eat_Your_Kimchi_'s_Eating_and_Spitting_Out_of_the_Korean_Other_on_YouTube_Vlogging_White_Privilege_Abroad

Ok so I read this article and I couldn’t really find where the author is saying that they don’t pull their weight in terms of content...it seemed more about how they (specifically localized to Korea) simultaneously exoticized and then made fun of various cultural aspects of that country without truly trying to come to a cultural understanding (I hesitate to use the word assimilate). Some things I really agree with [their use of the word “Engrish” as opposed to the word “Konglish” which koreans themselves use. The former smacking a bit too much of prejudice to me i.e. replacing l’s with r’s connection to a racist trope] while other criticisms seem to be a little far-fetched and foundless [the author’s criticism of their emphasis on Korean food from the ancient past and her connection to how that makes them prejudiced or martina’s excitement at eating mandu for real after seeing it in a show].

Also, it is definitely an argumentative essay...because although it is “fully supported” that support is presented in very small snippets and viewed through a very narrow lens that allows it to be connected to the authors pre-held opinion AGAINST Simon and Martina. They are not coming to a conclusion in the essay but instead attempting to prove and defend a preheld opinion  

I think both their recent laziness AND some ingrained prejudice towards Korea (interesting that it seems to not apply as much to Japan, considering that was Martina’s “first love”) are problematic but the article is only addressing the latter. 

tl;dr article is about racism and “white consumption of the other” not about their laziness

Posted

Seeing them upload a video on Corona made my full body cringe. Their "know it all" attitude mixed with not knowing anything at all is a terrifying combo.

Posted

Seeing them upload a video on Corona made my full body cringe. Their "know it all" attitude mixed with not knowing anything at all is a terrifying combo.

Yikes. Instead of approaching the topic with tact or seriousness, they use it for clickbait for their boring as hell blog?  It's Martina wearing the wrong kind of mask that doesn't even help non sick people (but it's Sailor Moon)! Simon showing how to wash your hands! Being dorks in public! Buying pens and stationary! Aesthetic shots of empty streets! Going to the arcade! Such informative content, they really live like true Japanese. 9_9