• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Eat Your Kimchi (Simon and Martina)

481 posts in this topic

Posted

I haven't caught up with EYK in a long time, but as they are widely disliked by a portion of the k-pop community, I was surprised that they didn't have a thread when I searched for them. So, here it is! I'll post about some of the drama surrounding this pair.

Simon and Martina (best known as Eat Your Kimchi) are Youtubers that became known for their videos about K-pop and Korean culture. They have moved to Japan from Korea now.

Drama Surrounding EYK

1) Lived in Korea for over 7 years and did not learn Korean past entry level phrases

2) Mocked Korean idols for poor English skills when they cannot speak Korean

3) Slut-shamed Korean idol Hyuna

4) Made videos about Korean culture and the views of Korean people when they were in no way immersed in Korean culture - they couldn't even speak the language!

5) Overpriced online store (left is from their store, right is resellers)

1430367671627.thumb.jpg.284cff51c21334a1

Personally I'm not a huge fan of EYK, although I don't think they're bad people - they've just said some problematic things. They are a sweet couple though, as outrageous are their appearances are. They are/were big Koreaboos though and their audience is/was also Koreaboos, so in Japan I'm assuming they'll build a Weeaboo audience.

There are tons of tumblr threads about EYK that I'm not going to link, as they get into the SJW stuff that's not so relevant. (You can google EYK hate" or something similar to find them)

Posted

I dont mind them. I find quite a bit of their stuff quite funny. My sense of humour likes them.

They were a great source for cool places to go to in Seoul and S. Korea. 

They now have moved to Japan and are starting to do the same thing so i am content with that. I like watching jvlogs a nit too much.

I didn't ever actually watch Kpop Mondays so I am unaware of the drama surrounding that.

Posted

It's always a torn sort of thing with my friends when it comes to these two.. 
on one hand, there were my friends that liked them and only watched their tldrs or wanks or whatever theyre called.

on another hand some of my friends hate them for the fact of how rude they can come across online and things they say and do in their videos. Mostly just them being extremly ignorant in their videos??
And the main reason will always be that they didn't put much effort to learning Korean. 

I just watch some stuff but after their music monday drama I didn't watch everything like I used to.
I remember them reacting to people calling them out was rude as all hell

Posted

Finally a topic about EYK!

I remember that collab video Martina did with Rachel from Rachel&Jun and it got so much backlash from Korean viewers who basically saw Martina as having "betrayed" Korea and was basically insulting Korea while placing Japan on a pedestal(not surprised she moved there tho). 

Idk I like their TL;DR videos but their personalities are pretty shitty I must say

Posted

I have literally no opinion on them but I enjoy a few videos by them (not anything culture or kpop related but just the food because ;o; food is so good) and I know that they are trying to learn Japanese, at least the letters they are learning the sounds for.  They could sound out hangul characters pretty well too but weren't fluent.  It was never their plan to stay in Korea I heard. 

Posted

The selling overpriced items especially sooo overpriced, makes me not like them anymore :( Why can't people just be nice?

It's not "White Privilege" they're just assholes because they knew they weren't going to stay there forever and had already wanted to go to Japan. They had no respect for the culture and didn't try to learn it.

Also: She is the "weeaboo" type. She literally wanted to move to Japan for rice balls and Sailor moon (her draw my life.) And their recent we-live-in-Japan videos, they are practicing katakana (slowly enough that I can tell they're pretty new to it) and have no idea how to properly separate their trash. (Tedious, but easy enough to figure out and something they should've figured out before they let 2 weeks pile up. Gross, but not criminal.) I don't know if they're total snowflakes, but if they keep scamming people with items they didn't even make themselves and are selling overpriced word needs to get spread. 

Posted

I used to only watch them for their dog spudgy w his blue fur :3 Didn't even know they had drama surrounding them, but they did get to meet some kpop idols like B.A.P. and Amber from f(x) which was pretty cool.

Posted

Honestly, how can you not pick up a language when you live in another country for 7 years? I mean if you didn't actively study it, I don't expect you to be fluent, but c'mon. 

Posted

I unsubscribed when they moved to Japan. So many westerners in Japan making videos already.  I honestly have no idea how they "taught" korean students without fluently speaking Korean. I hope they learn Japanese. I am from Russia in the Asian continent side. My roommate who is Japanese told me if you live in Japan and do not learn some Japanese in like a month the people living around you will ostracize you unless you are a celebrity etc. 

Posted

^ You can teach students English without fluently speaking Korean. There's no requirement to be fluent in the language as long as you are fluent in English, from an English speaking country, have a degree and preferably a white person, then you can 100% get a job as an English teacher in any Asian country.

Posted (edited)

Edited by mispeled

Posted (edited)

I personally don't think that they are horrible monsters or anything, but I do see how some people dislike them. They've said many things about Korea that are simply untrue as a result of never really researching their topics, and relying too much on their very narrow experience. They are rather rude, as well. I've seen them respond to very politely-stated, constructive criticism with long-winded, childish rants (including one where they tried to drag the girl criticizing them by pointing out her (clearly non-native) English mistakes, and talking about their English degrees whilst using the wrong "your" multiple times). 

From my viewpoint, a lot of their "criticisms" of Korean culture kind of reek of ethnocentrism. They've had some controversies with money, too, I think, but I don't know much about that.

I'm just curious but can they actually speak Japanese? Or will they just repeat what they did in South Korea again?

Nope! lol their most recent video shows them struggling with simple words in katakana, and Martina pronounces "arigatou gozaimasu" like I imagine a middle-aged White grandmother from Minnesota might. 

Edited by savant

Posted (edited)

Reading this I can see they've had a few problems but I don't know anybody in seven years who hasn't made some group of people upset-- especially given they have very North American style of sarcasm which includes poking fun at things. That type of humor doesn't go well here in Asia, but their videos were made for the Western/Koreaboo audience and not actual Koreans (Like 데이브 The World of Dave )

Edited by Siwon
fix link

Posted

Reading this I can see they've had a few problems but I don't know anybody in seven years who hasn't made some group of people upset-- especially given they have very North American style of sarcasm which includes poking fun at things. That type of humor doesn't go well here in Asia, but their videos were made for the Western/Koreaboo audience and not actual Koreans (Like 데이브 The World of Dave )

OT but Dave is the only Korea-centric youtuber I like :alpacacrush:

EYK just make me cringe lol