• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Site going down for long periods of time

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is there an external place (an official twitter or something like that?) where the modminds can keep us posted if the site has to go down for an extended period of time? So we don't worry unnecessarily (did some snowflake sicc a lawyer on us?) or can help out (with hosting fees or something?)

I can't have been the only one visiting the site repeatedly hoping it would be back. Glad it is though!

There is the Discord but expect a bumpy ride for awhile. Nyx is going to be stepping down and is in the process of finding a new admin. So it’s probably not going to get any smoother until she finds one and then growing pains from the new admin undoubtably restructuring. Here’s a screenie from the discord:

F3243CE4-CFE0-4FB4-9708-39C1D8BFD29B.thu

Edited by Biscuit
Forgot a word

Posted

I think a good option is to have PULL as a Discord entirely. You can make channels for each individual snowflake, and categories for anything outside of that (assuming this isn't the case already). It definitely saves the issue of monthly costs and uptime of hosts.

And takes the pressure off admins.

Posted

So PULL isn't going to be taken down? 

Posted

As of now it doesn’t seem so. Nyx doesn’t want it to die so hopefully she can find a decent replacement.

Thank you Biscuit you being here is very appreciated! 

Posted

i hope nyx isn't stepping down bc of that change.org petition i see going around (iirc it said they were investigating the owners of the sites in question) >.< i rly don't like them lumping pull with sites like kiwifarms and lolcow.....

i haven't been a pull member for as long as others but regardless thanks for your hard work nyx :')

Posted

That change.org petition won’t be an issue for PULL because of the rules we have here. 
lolcow and kiwifarms do have a chance of being under fire, though. I’m less active now over there because there’s literally no filter. 

Posted

That change.org petition won’t be an issue for PULL because of the rules we have here. 
lolcow and kiwifarms do have a chance of being under fire, though. I’m less active now over there because there’s literally no filter. 

PULL has massive issues too according to the GDPR, but eh, the LC and KF clearly have more issues than PULL 🤷‍♀

Posted

must really be a server issue; the site went down again for a minute or two while i was lurking on a thread.

Posted

i can only wish one day we can have an app because mobile mode is a bitch

Posted

@Nyx and other mods. for the love of god just let someone else manage the site. you can't even reply to people asking politely and just deflect. if you can't manage the site give it to someone less busy. thanks

Posted

Since the admins apparently haven't gotten to it (yet?), here's what has been posted on the PULL Discord:

20200121.jpg

Posted

Is there anything we can do to help? Anything at all?

Posted

There was someone (can’t remember the username) who was familiar with the GDPR and posted a bunch of info about it. The TLDR is that those rules are muddy when it comes to a site that’s based in the US as opposed to Europe where the laws originate and while technically illegal by Europe’s standards, the odds of ever coming for PULL and shutting it down are so beyond slim that it’s probable it would never happen. I liken it to copyright laws. Technically selling Fan Art is illegal and big companies like say Disney could technically come after you and sue you, but the odds of that happening are slim to none because of how huge the company is and how small the fan artist is. You’d have to be a super popular artist and even then they’d just send at most a cease and desist. But even that is incredibly rare.

Everyone has bigger fish to fry. The only way PULL would die is if it didn’t get passed over to a new admin. Years of this site’s existence has proven that. We’re small fish in a very big pond. We’re good.

I believe that was myself and I really like that fan art comparison! Technically PULL isn't compliant, but I don't think anyone would care enough to actually take it down. :)

Posted

Also if you guys are talking about the petition there was one made but by kanadajin3. She made a petition to take down PULL but if you know who she is you know she is worse than anything PULL has said. :3