• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Being the only sober person?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I feel I can never find any spaces to talk about this without getting blasted or mocked for being straight edge or made up 'i dONT NEED ALCOHOL TO HAVE FUN' lines I never said to begin with. 

Basically I just want to know of anyone else is in a situation where everyone around them is always drunk and/or high?

I feel so alienated and unhappy. I don't want to come off as jugemental so I keep my mouth shut. But I legitimately can't stand being around my friends and family when they're like this. Sometimes I want to tell them I miss spending time with them when they were sober. They feel like strangers and it's hurting my heart .

How do I tell them I don't feel comfortable around them without coming off as stuck up? I just feel so alone right now. Does anyone else feel this way with friends or loved ones?

Posted

For a lot of personal reasons I don't drink, but the biggest one is that alcohol is really really bad for my health. Even if I was perfectly healthy physically I still wouldn't drink. My entire family drinks and they always try to rope me in with wine and beer, but it's not worth hurting myself over it. They still call me a prude anyway! 

I don't know what your situation at home is like, but whenever my family gets wasted I just stay away from them and keep turning them down until they sober up. For friends, when they go clubbing or out drinking I just stay home and make myself comfortable, watch a movie or pamper myself because I have the night to myself. I can't force them to not drink, they'd just get mad at me for ruining their fun. If your friends/family are night drinkers, try and do something with them during the day instead. Talk about how their drinking hurts you emotionally especially when they get drunk.

Posted (edited)

I feel I can never find any spaces to talk about this without getting blasted or mocked for being straight edge or made up 'i dONT NEED ALCOHOL TO HAVE FUN' lines I never said to begin with. 

Basically I just want to know of anyone else is in a situation where everyone around them is always drunk and/or high?

I feel so alienated and unhappy. I don't want to come off as jugemental so I keep my mouth shut. But I legitimately can't stand being around my friends and family when they're like this. Sometimes I want to tell them I miss spending time with them when they were sober. They feel like strangers and it's hurting my heart .

How do I tell them I don't feel comfortable around them without coming off as stuck up? I just feel so alone right now. Does anyone else feel this way with friends or loved ones?

I'm the same way, sorry if this offends someone but I personally find it a bit pathetic if you can ONLY have fun with your friends if youre drunk/high (emphasis on ONLY, if you get drunk with them for special occassions or you still have fun times without being under the influence then its ok, I just don't understand why keep friendships / go out to boring places if you can only withstand it by being under the influence), I grew up with alcoholic / drug addict parents so I get triggered easily when someone close to me tries to start smoking or drinking when they've never done it before with the excuse that it's fun or they're bored like.....why risk your health in exchange of some fun? 

I'm only like this with people really close to me though (family, girlfriend, friends) because I'm worried something bad could happen to them (I've seen it happen many times without it coming from an ongoing addiction and from addiction) so I just try to lookout for them but I end up having arguments and feeling sad that I'm ruining their time or fun because I'm against it and it really hurts me because I don't want to seem controlling, but it's one of the very few things that really bothers me and wish wasn't so normalized because it can definitely easily ruin people...

Edited by Maimai