• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Debate Thread ( racism, cultural appropriating ect)

126 posts in this topic

Posted

Because there has been butt loads of arguing among PULL members about "racism, appropriation, wrong from right "  ect , heres a thread to debate it in. 

This isn't a thread to bash anyone, so keep it civil. 

My opinion on this matter ( since usually the thread starter has to stat I guess some sort of opinion on said matter(s) ) is that we live in a modern world where everyone seems to be looking for something to be butt hurt over. I.E Beyonce recent controversy about being racist towards white people. Totally bull in my opinion and completely fuelled by media looking for a good story. Another example of course is within this thread ( Taylor R ) which is also seems to be taken a bit to far. I'm white and NOT offend because they choose to portray a foreigner a certain way. ( One foreign actor does not represent all of said race/ethnicity )  so please stop acting like it is unless its stated otherwise. 

Appropriating isn't a topic I fully understand so please feel free to add your knowledge of it to this thread.. 

Let the debating begin :Alpacashocked:

Posted

I might be wrong, but I think that the whole problem here is the usa-centrification of the internet. Most of the issues @Veevee pointed are a problem because north americans made it a problem. The way we see it in Europe is different, we don't have that white people=evil, everyone else=good (I don't even know what is white people?? skin color?? race?? family?? idk). I'm not saying that europe is racism-free or something, but it's not as excruciating as in the USA, and because we are in the english speaking part of the internet (even though not all of us have english as first language), then those are the matters we are forced to discuss.

Posted

I agree totally ^ it's kind of weird for people in North America because we all come from different cultures and it's a huge melting pot over here. I think people are starting to question what North American culture is exactly, and that's what's leading to these debates. 

Posted

I agree totally ^ it's kind of weird for people in North America because we all come from different cultures and it's a huge melting pot over here. I think people are starting to question what North American culture is exactly, and that's what's leading to these debates. 

North American have a no culture, that's the problem. Why black/indigenous/hindu people call for cultural appropriation?? Because they do have a culture, while "the whites" don't have one and claim as theirs elements from the cultures they exploit and oppress (and because they oppress these people, POC feel that their culture is being stolen -not appreciated). In other countries, it is view as cultural exchange because you have a given-taken, nobody feels exploit because everyone has something for the other culture they want to try. 

The problem with the USA is that it feels bigger and better than the rest. I don't deny its economic power or the fact that it's a place that have helped the development of artistic scene in the latest centuries. However, in terms of culture related matters, what do they have?? nothing: no cultural roots. Just 200 years of history as a country, only one constitution, one (i'm not sure) civil war, one world war (the first one was manly european, thought the second one didn't took place in north america...), one big religion belief, one of everything...while in the rest of the world there has had plenty of time to learn from trial and error, countries have been destroyed and reborn with a different base or have been evolving to accommodate to the rest of the world.

That sums up why there is so much fuss about the racism and cultural appropriation, and why it all seems strange (and a bit stupid tbh) to everyone who doesn't live there.

(It wasn't my intention to write so much :$ but a little bit too passionate about these topics....)

Posted

I'm Canadian ~ And honestly I don't think me or ( Canada ) or our neighbours  (USA) know that answer.  A lot of times I just get this feeling like American culture is always looking for a cause to fight for or to enhance a already preexisting problem.  Its like in my country were portrayed as the "sorry nation" "kind and welcoming" to all cultures and sometimes people feel a pressure to be a certain way .. ( if that makes sense ) so they debate on subjects such as racism, and fight about it thinking that it fits that criteria of what makes us a proud American/Candian. For example we have commercials showing white Canadians being welcoming or apologetic to other ethnicities or giving off the general visual of us being a "protector" of some sort which may lead the youth believing that they need to fight about it. 

I also think because over history "whites" were the only ones identified/portrayed as racist is why now suddenly people are going ape and starting this whole " white pride" crap. I'm not saying white people can't be proud of who they are, just that they shouldn't use it as a means to argue with/about. 

@Veevee   @bianca8  

Hopefully that made sense ~ :alpacacrush: 

Posted (edited)

@bianca8 @AppleCrumble

I'm Canadian too haha! However I grew up with deep European roots since both my parents are immigrants. My dad is from Ireland and we had a very Irish upbringing as kids and he made sure we knew about our roots because as you guys said, North America doesn't really have a culture. Now I wouldn't say this is necessarily a bad thing, I mean both Canada and America are havens for immigrants to find opportunities and I personally love living in a multicultural country, I'm grateful I live somewhere where I can meet people from all over the world. 

I can definitely see why people believe in the "white privilege" phenomena, it definitely exists in some areas, but it's slowly disappearing. I don't really understand why people blame all white people for it though, because it's not really their fault. It's the fault of their ancestors. And they don't have control over that. Any country you go to, the founding race or culture usually has a slight "privilige" or advantage over others because they were there first and the society they've created was established by them, therefore it's only natural it would have a slight bias to favor the creators of said society. So yes I think white privilige and cultural appropriation exist, but it isn't as malicious as people make it out to be. If anything its just remnants from the beginnings of North American society, and people living in America and Canada today didn't plan for it to be that way, we were all born here and it's not our fault directly. But things are slowly changing, and I'm glad people are bringing more attention to stuff like white privilige, but it's wrong to attack people for it and try to act like all white people are inherently guilty for something their ancestors established long ago. As for appropriating other cultures, I just don't believe there's any way to prevent that. Sharing culture is never bad, if anything it leads to less racism and allows North Americans to educate themselves on other cultures. I don't agree with exploiting things that are inherently sacred to other cultures or just picking random stuff from other cultures and pretending it's your own, but again there's just no real way to prevent that unless if you take away people's freedom of speech. 

That's my opinion on the whole appropriation issue.

Edited by Veevee

Posted (edited)

I might be wrong, but I think that the whole problem here is the usa-centrification of the internet. Most of the issues @Veevee pointed are a problem because north americans made it a problem. The way we see it in Europe is different, we don't have that white people=evil, everyone else=good (I don't even know what is white people?? skin color?? race?? family?? idk). I'm not saying that europe is racism-free or something, but it's not as excruciating as in the USA, and because we are in the english speaking part of the internet (even though not all of us have english as first language), then those are the matters we are forced to discuss.

hahah you are so right, but you know what, most americans....on the internet atleast, believes that the whole world revolves around them and everyone is obsessed with them and knows all about their issues/country cause there is no way other countries dont give a shit about the great murica theres no way we value our own issues above theirs! cause they are the only ones that matter.

I saw this whole cultural appropriation thing on a diff usa based website and I left a reply was like ''I really do not know what all of this is about but i think its kind of ridiculous maybe someone can tell me more about it cause i really do not get it'' and one person got so mad at me telling me I was lying theres no possible way i could never heard about this

99% of every non american knows nothing about this and finds it ridiculous. other countries do not have this issue its a very usa centred issue maybe canada too? while I do agree white americans do not have a culture left since it seems most did not grew up with traditions or whatever, I actually grew up with very old european festivals/holidays making certain traditional foods etc.

It does seem like it is mostly a teenage tumblr issue though same with all the crazy sexual preferences people litteraly putting on their prodile ''12,depressed,schizoprehnia,pansexual,transgender,borderline'' :"), I remember the girl that attacked me started bullshit how they created jazz all on their own and white people have stolen all genres(exept classical and country) from blacks and never did anything, lol idk but very important jazz instruments such as the saxophone, piano,clarinet, bass guitar were invented by europeans so they needed white culture to even be able to create jazz music. and then when i told her that all i got was ''im not even gonna argue with you anymore you are so dumb'' they dont care about the truth only their twisted/made-up version of ''the truth'' I think most of it all sounds like angry teenagers idk about u guys but i pretty much hated everyone and everything during puberty too only now to realize how ridiculous I was being.

Cultures have been exchanging traditions and their belongings with other cultures for centuries I see it as a positive thing and I find it baffeling some americans see it as a disgrace. same with the jazz music it both needed white culture and black to be created what came from it? good music. the arabs brought the guitars to europe, heard on tv a few days ago how japan started exchanging things with my country such as sending kimonos to us for the women to wear here in paintings and stuff. how are all of these things bad in anyway? no f that lets create more dictation and racism and tell people what they cnt and can do/wear/eat/speak. every country has done shit but no one alive nowadays has anything to do with it.

Edited by Kiko

Posted

@Veevee I have to disagree with your way to see it. Why "white privilege" is different from favoring the founding race?? Easy, because the founding races of other countries were there before anyone else. The rest of the world races are established by the different tribes before the countries border were settled. Most of the founding races of these countries are made of the different tribes in that land that melted, tribes that migrated from different places and claimed a piece of land or tribus that accommodated with the ones that were there before. However, that's not what happened in north america at all. They came, they killed, they said "now all this mine". There is no founding race. It's a race that stole a land and they found a way to ensure that they are going to be treated like the rightful owners.
You have a point when you say that you hold no responsibility for what your ancestor did in the past. True. But not really. White people inherit the guilty because they also inherit the privilege. I'm not saying that you all must rotten in hell or are bad. But until there is no white privilege you are not free of guilt. White people can active fight against their privilege by defending poc rights to be treated equal. But you can not fight what you can't see, and you cannot fight being favored over POC in situations that you don't realize. And that's going to happen all the time, until the idea that whites are good people and poc people are bad is destroyed.

As for the culture appropriation things, it can be prevented. As I said before, between north americans and the rest of the world there is not a exchange. North americans take but not give anything (the american dream is not a culture btw). White people making black hairstyles cool is not educating anyone in POC culture or leading the path to end racism. If anything, it is doing the opposite. White people take something that they have been hating, and start loving it because it's now something that can be presented in the white clean version -that's when white privilege comes in handy. For example, white people take cornrows; when a poc wears cornrows is guetto, because it is assumed that black thing=bad thing; but when a white wears it, then it becomes edgy, because their white privilege erases all the bad things associated with it (white= not bad // someone white wearing ghetto hairstyle can't be bad, because white aren't natural view as bad --> then a "bad person" hairstyle becomes just a hairstyle.). And easy way of putting this is in a little story: White and Black have known each other for years. Black always wears this bracelet and White has been telling them since forever that their bracelet is ugly. One day White tries the bracelet. White likes how the bracelet looks. White now wears and exact bracelet and call it's a new trend. Black is pissed of because they put through so many years listening that their bracelete is ugly. White doesn't care and tells Black "don't be selfish, things are made to be shared with the rest! didn't you wanted me to accept your culture?? well, now I do and I think that this bracelet is pretty --because in my arm it looks so good. Sorry I never told you before, but it's not my fault -your arm is so dark that the colors never looked quite good when you were wearing it". 

I feel like I need to write this down: I do not hate white people (or lets start saying north americans with white skin, because there are whites everywhere that do not belong to this group), I do not think that attacking/hating white people is okay. And I do not try to sound rude. I just understand that this topic is difficult to understand, especially if you see it as an insider.

hahah you are so right, but you know what, most americans....on the internet atleast, believes that the whole world revolves around them and everyone is obsessed with them and knows all about their issues/country cause there is no way other countries dont give a shit about the great murica theres no way we value our own issues above theirs! cause they are the only ones that matter.

I saw this whole cultural appropriation thing on a diff usa based website and I left a reply was like ''I really do not know what all of this is about but i think its kind of ridiculous maybe someone can tell me more about it cause i really do not get it'' and one person got so mad at me telling me I was lying theres no possible way i could never heard about this

99% of every non american knows nothing about this and finds it ridiculous. other countries do not have this issue its a very usa centred issue maybe canada too? while I do agree white americans do not have a culture left since it seems most did not grew up with traditions or whatever, I actually grew up with very old european festivals/holidays making certain traditional foods etc.

It does seem like it is mostly a teenage tumblr issue though same with all the crazy sexual preferences people litteraly putting on their prodile ''12,depressed,schizoprehnia,pansexual,transgender,borderline'' :"), I remember the girl that attacked me started bullshit how they created jazz all on their own and white people have stolen all genres(exept classical and country) from blacks and never did anything, lol idk but very important jazz instruments such as the saxophone, piano,clarinet, bass guitar were invented by europeans so they needed white culture to even be able to create jazz music. and then when i told her that all i got was ''im not even gonna argue with you anymore you are so dumb'' they dont care about the truth only their twisted/made-up version of ''the truth'' I think most of it all sounds like angry teenagers idk about u guys but i pretty much hated everyone and everything during puberty too only now to realize how ridiculous I was being.

Cultures have been exchanging traditions and their belongings with other cultures for centuries I see it as a positive thing and I find it baffeling some americans see it as a disgrace. same with the jazz music it both needed white culture and black to be created what came from it? good music. the arabs brought the guitars to europe, heard on tv a few days ago how japan started exchanging things with my country such as sending kimonos to us for the women to wear here in paintings and stuff. how are all of these things bad in anyway? no f that lets create more dictation and racism and tell people what they cnt and can do/wear/eat/speak. every country has done shit but no one alive nowadays has anything to do with it.

In Spain we have a saying about the great USA: "They think they are the ass of the world", because they certainly believe that everything spins around them and they forget that there was a world before they existed.

I agree with most of the things you say, however there is a little thing that I want to point out: when people talk about white people, they are talking about white people from north america. In europe there is no such thing as the whites, because what matters is not your skin colour but where are you from. Everyone who talks about what the whites stole are probably north americans whose mind can only go back 200 years in history and don't understand how the culture thing and border limits in europe works.  

Posted

@Veevee I have to disagree with your way to see it. Why "white privilege" is different from favoring the founding race?? Easy, because the founding races of other countries were there before anyone else. The rest of the world races are established by the different tribes before the countries border were settled. Most of the founding races of these countries are made of the different tribes in that land that melted, tribes that migrated from different places and claimed a piece of land or tribus that accommodated with the ones that were there before. However, that's not what happened in north america at all. They came, they killed, they said "now all this mine". There is no founding race. It's a race that stole a land and they found a way to ensure that they are going to be treated like the rightful owners.
You have a point when you say that you hold no responsibility for what your ancestor did in the past. True. But not really. White people inherit the guilty because they also inherit the privilege. I'm not saying that you all must rotten in hell or are bad. But until there is no white privilege you are not free of guilt. White people can active fight against their privilege by defending poc rights to be treated equal. But you can not fight what you can't see, and you cannot fight being favored over POC in situations that you don't realize. And that's going to happen all the time, until the idea that whites are good people and poc people are bad is destroyed.

As for the culture appropriation things, it can be prevented. As I said before, between north americans and the rest of the world there is not a exchange. North americans take but not give anything (the american dream is not a culture btw). White people making black hairstyles cool is not educating anyone in POC culture or leading the path to end racism. If anything, it is doing the opposite. White people take something that they have been hating, and start loving it because it's now something that can be presented in the white clean version -that's when white privilege comes in handy. For example, white people take cornrows; when a poc wears cornrows is guetto, because it is assumed that black thing=bad thing; but when a white wears it, then it becomes edgy, because their white privilege erases all the bad things associated with it (white= not bad // someone white wearing ghetto hairstyle can't be bad, because white aren't natural view as bad --> then a "bad person" hairstyle becomes just a hairstyle.). And easy way of putting this is in a little story: White and Black have known each other for years. Black always wears this bracelet and White has been telling them since forever that their bracelet is ugly. One day White tries the bracelet. White likes how the bracelet looks. White now wears and exact bracelet and call it's a new trend. Black is pissed of because they put through so many years listening that their bracelete is ugly. White doesn't care and tells Black "don't be selfish, things are made to be shared with the rest! didn't you wanted me to accept your culture?? well, now I do and I think that this bracelet is pretty --because in my arm it looks so good. Sorry I never told you before, but it's not my fault -your arm is so dark that the colors never looked quite good when you were wearing it". 

I feel like I need to write this down: I do not hate white people (or lets start saying north americans with white skin, because there are whites everywhere that do not belong to this group), I do not think that attacking/hating white people is okay. And I do not try to sound rude. I just understand that this topic is difficult to understand, especially if you see it as an insider.

In Spain we have a saying about the great USA: "They think they are the ass of the world", because they certainly believe that everything spins around them and they forget that there was a world before they existed.

I agree with most of the things you say, however there is a little thing that I want to point out: when people talk about white people, they are talking about white people from north america. In europe there is no such thing as the whites, because what matters is not your skin colour but where are you from. Everyone who talks about what the whites stole are probably north americans whose mind can only go back 200 years in history and don't understand how the culture thing and border limits in europe works.  

hahaha that is a great saying! :D

yeah i do think you are right I have seen discussion on this and then europeans start to defend themself and have seen people like ''im not taling about the europeans but the white americans'' . 

Posted (edited)

@bianca8 I totally understand that point of view, and like I said I agree that white privilige exists and it is an issue. But, like you mentioned most people are ignorant on the subject of appropriation, so they don't actually know that they are hurting anyone. You can't sit there and say "white north americans can't wear these hairstyles", no one would stand for it. I'm not saying it's 100% acceptable, just that you cannot stop people from doing it. Also where I live in Canada if anyone thought a POC was ghetto or bad because of their hairstyle almost everyone would say they are an asshole. What I mean to say is the mentality is different from region to region of North America. So you can't say all white north americans feel that way about POC. I think the solution to the problem is like you said the destruction of the idea that POC are bad and whites are good, education is what will make people more accepting of POC cultures. 

Edited by Veevee

Posted

I've been lurking on this post for awhile and I agree with what everyone has said. I'm a Canadian myself with my parents who immigrated from West Africa and I always found it interesting how North America (Canada and the US specifically) portray themselves as overly multicultural when in reality if one looks closely there is a discord as to what multiculturalism is. I live in a city that is heavily populated by Chinese people from the mainland and everyone complains about them and blames them for all the problems my city is facing currently. The irony is that they are quick to celebrate Chinese New Year and act as if they really like Chinese people and their culture. So I feel as if there is a layer of hyprocracy in the way we think about multiculturalism in North America and I am not sure if North American even notice how their society really is in terms of accepting cultural diversity. 

Posted

I don't feel like pointing fingers are going to resolve anything. Whites point the fingers at other cultures and they point the fingers right back and pick up the past history that didn't involve either current side and tossing it in one another's face. History is to learn from not be used as leverage to put down an entire ethnicity. I don't think anyone should be identified by someone else's choices, every culture has its negatives. 

As for the appropriation ... its odd it only seems to exist with "whites". If a women in Korea strives to become more americanized no one says a thing, but if a white person tries to become Koreanized ( speaking the language, wearing the fashion, liking the food or even moving to) all hell breaks loose. If a white woman/man models in Japan that becomes instantly " their trying to change our beauty standards, invade us, make us feel ugly and ashamed of being asian", but if vis versa happens and a asian model models in a American country then thats "beautiful, brings pride" or is simply looked at as just another beautiful model. Another example is when I see people express anger towards "outsiders/immigrants" getting jobs in "their" country and think that the nationality that was born there should be given it over the immigrant. But thats a very iffy thing too, Koreans choose their own over immigrants and no problem, but if a white man does so its racist.  I don't believe either one is right , just that there is a tad of a double standard in this world. We need to accept the past but not use it as a means to hate one another. 

I know you guys mean well but it does come off a little resentful sounding... If things are to change we need cooperation from both parties and not just one. Just because one group of a culture is racist or ignorant/rude doesn't mean everyone of the same culture is, one person or group does not represent an entire ethnicity. I partial feel like a large amount of the problem is with the older generations ( our parents,grand parents ect ) whom were raised with/by ignorance and don't want to or know how to change. Honestly, within my friends group are a vast amount of difference ethnicities but no one pays attention to what makes us different but to what makes us similar. We bond over the good and acknowledge the bad. 

I understand my opinion may clash or even come off offensive but I hope everyone sees the point I was trying to get at :alpacacrush: 

Posted

@Veevee @AppleCrumble I feel like your opinions are a bit biased (I don't mean it in a bad way...lol I don't know any other word to express it with a less negative sense) because you live in Canada. From the rest of the world perspective, Canada is so chill compared to the USA; the problem of north america is not Canada, but the USA. Canada isn't the one starting wars everywhere just for the sake of showing everyone who is the strongest, and Canada is more open and willing to get along with the rest of the world.

The problem with the majority of white people is that they don't want to educate themselves. You can try to educate them, but they will turn their back at you and carry on doing whatever offensive thing they were doing. Beside, usually the problematics are the loudest, and that's why everyone assumes that all the whites are evil....like the whole kylie jenner appropriating black culture, being called out but don't giving a shit.

And the difference between whites appropriating asian culture vs asian trying to be white is...well , isn't it the beauty standard to be white and blonde??? the americanization of the asians is not appropriating culture, it's more like adapting themselves to the required international standards. I don't want to start talking about the wars (usa vs everyone else), but the US was in many asian countries (Korea, Japan,..) and imposed their occidental manners...therefore the asians didn't voluntary embrace the americanization, they were forced to let it have a place in their culture.

God, i don't want to sound resentful at all. I'm not hating on anyone, I promise. But I don't agree with how you think that this a problem of the past or that can only be solved it POCs stop fighting the whites. The problem is that the whites in the US learn from the elders the hate. They hate in a passive way, probably not wanting to exterminate the POCs, but fueling the stereotypes that put POCs in a lower position in society (black=thiefs-ghetto / latinas=cheap housekeepers / asians=heartless machines). All of these stereotypes that are always presented in TV/movies, that are the punch line in a joke. The stereotypes are everywhere, but they become a problem only when stabilized by white people because of their superior position among them. For example, spaniards hate frenchs, many many jokes and stereotypes, but nobody feels offended because is not like Spain is oppresing France. The same happens between France-England, Italy-France, etc etc. Why there isn't cultural appropriation in europe or between the countries in south and central america??? it is because cultural appropriation comes from the ressentiment of every culture that has been oppressed by the US, and they have a right to be resented, because the US doesn't show any sign of being ashamed or a will to make things right now for them. If you need a point of reference just look at Germany. Nobody tells the jews or blacks to cooperate and stop resenting the germans because hitler happened a long time ago, and this generation is not to blame???? because Germany is ashamed of what happened and shows it, and condens any attitude that encourages the hate against these minorities (nazi symbols are banned, while in the US the confederate flag is considered "heritage", and they made movies portraying their military actions in countries they invaded as something "heroic and patriotic"). You see the difference?? POCs are so bitter about everything that white people makes and are waiting to call them out in their bullshit because they were told to get over about it and get along with everyone. 

These inequalities is not going to change these generation, nor the next. It needs time because the US has a big problems and that's that they can be open about the rest of the world because they don't acknowledge the existence of something outside their borders. Not trying to praise the wars in europe, but like the wars have helped because everyone here has being at some point ally or enemy with everyone. And I don't know how to express it, but there is these feeling that everyone is more open about other countries because your country has history with everyone else, everyone has bonded over a common enemy to the point that you cannot think of any european country as a single unit but as a part of a bigger plan. While the rest of the word learn to cohabit with others, the US relations with others is based on wars: the US vs whoever they believe is their enemy in that moment. They isolated themselves and their children were raised to think "we are the best, and we should rule the world". 

I do not point any of you as the problem. That it's a good sign that you all don't feel like excluding anyone or being stuck in the past. But...that's not how the majority is, at least that's not how it looks like.

I believe that we are keeping this debate very calm and we are not trying to offend anyone, so I don't mind having different opinions. I hope my opinion can give a glimpse of how north america (but especially the US) look to the rest of the world.

Posted

I didn't say it should be forgotten;I never said that white people are innocent either.  It should be something to be LEARNED from not something to throw in a white persons face. Rather then people discussing it or trying to resolve the issue they just end up throwing the " you white people" "your fault" "the past" as a means to personally attack the opposing race (white).  And yes, I think the past is the past and there is no way of fixing or changing it as its in the past, we can only work on the now while learning/acknowledging the past. Nothing can move forward if all we do is gloom on one moment in time and argue about it. 

I feel like your opinion is actually very americanized as it seems based off of what social media presents to you. Your news tells you all Americans are all "selfish" or "evil" but I believe its more " their ignorant " as the Government and media never presents their true purposes. You think the government wants their people to believe or know that it was them that started the war over oil in Iraqi ? No, of course not. That would make the people lose faith in their government.. Keep in mind that a lot of people especially the older generation may not even have access to the internet or anything that could provide this knowledge.  Media doesn't speak for an entire ethnicity, but just about everyone has access to it via TV. Look at that drama alert guy on youtube that did a video on Venus, he only showed what seemed to be "juicy" or " eye catching" and not the truth. It is also hard for me not to feel like some of you are resentful when its " you white people are all alike " as a subject starter... This is the now and in my unpopular opinion were all fucking up not just the whites, the past the whites fucked up, greatly, and that is a fact and is not deniable. Resent the past not the people of the present. 

Imposed is a harsh word, but of course I'm not properly educated on the matters of what went down between USA and Japan ( asian culture ). That is of course because Canada only teaches or talks of its own history and not another countries history. From my ignorant perspective it doesn't make sense to me how a smaller less advanced nation could "force" a larger advanced nation into wanting/desiring a similar beauty standard. Asians already admired pale skin ( not of a white persons,but because it symbolized wealth) and doe like eyes ( larger eyes that are associated with youth ) so why say westerners forced change in their perspectives if they saw perhaps something of their own standards in those westerners ? Every country takes beauty ideals from one another or simply enhances there own with it. Like for example some asian women admire that whites have higher nose bridges so they apply that to them selves . ( of course certain lines shouldn't be crossed exp : creating mono lids or proclaiming to be another race, blackening the skin-black facing-, using something religious or held with high regards to a race as a piece of fashion ). 

Tbh media controls the internet,TV,radio,new papers/magazines ect... and the government holds to some degree control over that.  Media doesn't show or really teach wrong from right so I'd say the whole world is fairly ignorant and some what selfish while pointing fingers at someone else's faults.  We all have faults, some greater then others and some in need of more time/work. 

Thank you to everyone who has been so far involved in this thread and keeping it civil !  Hopefully other threads will take this into account and become more civil about differing opinions :Alpacashocked:

Also please excuse my ignorance on some of these subjects as I am still reading/learning about it myself. I'm not a history major so I have to make due with what spare time I have to read on these topics. Thank you :alpacaworry: