• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

PeachMilkyTea

511 posts in this topic

Posted

Hm that is true. She generally takes a "middle of the road" stance when it comes to most things.

I will say this - she does seem to stick to her stance of being vegan. "These marshmallows are vegan." "I found out this product wasn't vegan so I quit using it." All the while she doesn't shove the fact down her viewers throats. It's refreshing.

True, for the most part. She's also not overly weebish, which is nice. She's moving to Japan, but she isn't all "animu 24/7 desu ka".

Posted

True, for the most part. She's also not overly weebish, which is nice. She's moving to Japan, but she isn't all "animu 24/7 desu ka".

I think it's because she came from the world of video games and really focused on dressing up as her favorite video game characters or video game characters she enjoyed looking at the art for (as I think she bought a few figures, didn't know exactly where they were from...and if I am not mistaken she cosplayed them eventually). I wouldn't be surprised if that was her branch into Japanese culture which lead her to Japanese fashion. I feel like Westerners interests in Japan split into anime or fashion. They always seem to have a main interest in one or the other. I find the fashion community can be less obnoxious in general but then to love to show off their purchases. I will say that Sophie does a decent balance of hauls mixed with other videos. Her Instagram definately shows off more though. 

Then again she is also from Ireland which has a small cosplay community so if she was obnoxious she would probably irritate a lot of people really fast.

I also think she isn't all "kawaii desu nya nya" because she has learned Japanese for practical reasons...like shopping. 

I'd be interested since she is moving to Japan to know more about her Japanese skill level, how she learned Japanese, what got her interested in learning Japanese, etc. 

Posted

Then again she is also from Ireland which has a small cosplay community so if she was obnoxious she would probably irritate a lot of people really fast.

I'd like to add on to this, Ireland has a big gossip culture. It's more with older people, but people would find out what's going on with your life sometimes faster than you yourself do. It's more of a thing among older people, but I also noticed it among young people as well, particularly if they have a religious "Christian" background (that's just my own observation).

So many people do their best to conform to the standards imposed by society so that they're not victims of negative gossip. That could also explain why she is not very annoying or very "out there". Even the people who engage in alternative fashion tend not to go very overboard from what I can see from my own acquaintances. It's largely a cultural thing, even if you don't fear gossip you'll naturally try to stay within certain lines in order not to get too much negative feedback or not to stand out too much.

Posted

I'd like to add on to this, Ireland has a big gossip culture. It's more with older people, but people would find out what's going on with your life sometimes faster than you yourself do. It's more of a thing among older people, but I also noticed it among young people as well, particularly if they have a religious "Christian" background (that's just my own observation).

So many people do their best to conform to the standards imposed by society so that they're not victims of negative gossip. That could also explain why she is not very annoying or very "out there". Even the people who engage in alternative fashion tend not to go very overboard from what I can see from my own acquaintances. It's largely a cultural thing, even if you don't fear gossip you'll naturally try to stay within certain lines in order not to get too much negative feedback or not to stand out too much.

Thank you for the added perspective! It could be why we always see a muted version of Japanese fashion on her. The only time I remember seeing her outside in Japanese fashion was during her trip to Tokyo. Perhaps this is another reason why she is moving to Japan? Would how she dresses in her videos be odd in the general public of Ireland if she is grocery shopping, or going to the movies, etc? 

Posted

Would how she dresses in her videos be odd in the general public of Ireland if she is grocery shopping, or going to the movies, etc? 

It most definitely would be odd. I know I'd stare if I had seen somebody dressed in the way that she does in her videos. But it also depends where she's going, for example in Belfast there is a larger variety of fashion styles but they all seem a bit more like muted versions as you said. Northern Ireland has very few cities and many small towns and a large portion of places is just countryside. As everyday attire in NI, her fashion strikes me as strange.

I find it cute, but it's nothing like what most people wear here. Most girls do with skinny jeans, converse, and a t-shirt or something similar (though I see more of Tumblr influences about on teens lately). The climate here is very rainy so hoodies are also popular, so the lightweight attire associated with kawaii fashion would not be very good to wear here since most kawaii fashion looks like "spring time" clothing. The kawaii coats also are rather unusual and people here tend to wear coats more along the lines of Superdry (which is less popular now though) or wooly coats.

You can buy clothes that can be matched with other things to make a kawaii style here (such as this coat), but it's all about how you combine the clothing together. Things such as frills are not very popular here. For example, the shirt in the image below would be unusual for somebody here to wear:

large.jpg

It's too frilly for what people wear here. The first and third shoes in the picture would not be worn by most people here unless they're into kawaii fashion also on an everyday basis.

Posted (edited)

It most definitely would be odd. I know I'd stare if I had seen somebody dressed in the way that she does in her videos. But it also depends where she's going, for example in Belfast there is a larger variety of fashion styles but they all seem a bit more like muted versions as you said. Northern Ireland has very few cities and many small towns and a large portion of places is just countryside. As everyday attire in NI, her fashion strikes me as strange.

I find it cute, but it's nothing like what most people wear here. Most girls do with skinny jeans, converse, and a t-shirt or something similar (though I see more of Tumblr influences about on teens lately). The climate here is very rainy so hoodies are also popular, so the lightweight attire associated with kawaii fashion would not be very good to wear here since most kawaii fashion looks like "spring time" clothing. The kawaii coats also are rather unusual and people here tend to wear coats more along the lines of Superdry (which is less popular now though) or wooly coats.

You can buy clothes that can be matched with other things to make a kawaii style here (such as this coat), but it's all about how you combine the clothing together. Things such as frills are not very popular here. For example, the shirt in the image below would be unusual for somebody here to wear:

It's too frilly for what people wear here. The first and third shoes in the picture would not be worn by most people here unless they're into kawaii fashion also on an everyday basis.

Ah the Pacific Northwest and Ireland have very similar climates. I could not wear most of Sophie's outfits outside in the Summer because if it's not generally cold we have a decent wind with a good chill to it. Even when wearing fleece lined leggings or tights, it can be a challenge if I have a lot of walking to do outside - my bones would be clattering together! ....or it's raining far too heavily and lightweight fabrics get soaked. I've learned to wear thicker and warmer coats and fleece lined items help but if it's cold and I have to be outside for more than 20 minutes I have to put away my skirts and dresses and wear pants. 

Again, it's great to hear your perspective about the general fashion of Ireland. I know on Twitter she mentioned going to a nail salon in Bangor. (Maybe it wasn't a nail salon but she specifically called out some sort of beauty errand in Bangor a couple years ago.) I don't know if that changes anything because I understand the marina tends to be a more touristy area.

Understand as one of the few users from Ireland you will probably turn into our official spokesperson for Ireland related questions. :alpacawink: 

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

Ah the Pacific Northwest and Ireland have very similar climates. I could not wear most of Sophie's outfits outside in the Summer because if it's not generally cold we have a decent wind with a good chill to it. Even when wearing fleece lined leggings or tights, it can be a challenge if I have a lot of walking to do outside - my bones would be clattering together! ....or it's raining far too heavily and lightweight fabrics get soaked. I've learned to wear thicker and warmer coats and fleece lined items help but if it's cold and I have to be outside for more than 20 minutes I have to put away my skirts and dresses and wear pants. 

Again, it's great to hear your perspective about the general fashion of Ireland. I know on Twitter she mentioned going to a nail salon in Bangor. (Maybe it wasn't a nail salon but she specifically called out some sort of beauty errand in Bangor a couple years ago.) I don't know if that changes anything because I understand the marina tends to be a more touristy area.  

Thank you for listening to my perspective! :meowplz:

The cold is very annoying here for me too, most of my nicest coats have no hoods and the wind or rain always mess up my hair and I often return home soaked... it's not pleasant. I pray for the day where I can wear shorts to come xD 

I've never been to Bangor myself, but I'd assume her style would still strike people as a bit strange, especially since it's a large town rather than a city. The kawaii community here is very small and I've never met anybody who is into kawaii fashion here so far myself, even in larger cities or towns. I may be wrong about Bangor since I don't know many people from there, but it'd be safe to assume it'd still be rather unusual but perhaps people would be more accepting of it than in smaller towns or the countryside (where most people wear tracksuits or just casual attire).

Posted

She posted her first vlog in Japan :-)   I'm still halfway through, she really seems to be nice and sweet, and I like that it's so realistic (hello, we are going home supply shopping.) She also shows Daiso pretty well, I think, which is nice. It's a tidbit boring, but she has still time to improve.

Posted

As another Irish person (republic) if I recall correctly she DOES in fact refer to herself as being from the UK so I think she does identify more with the British side rather than the Irish side. I am pretty sure I have seen her in person (unless it was a doppelganger) and her fashion did stick out quite a lot as your typical kawaii fashion.

Posted

As another Irish person (republic) if I recall correctly she DOES in fact refer to herself as being from the UK so I think she does identify more with the British side rather than the Irish side. I am pretty sure I have seen her in person (unless it was a doppelganger) and her fashion did stick out quite a lot as your typical kawaii fashion.

I'm pretty sure she's from Northern Ireland. Like not certain, but pretty comfortable with saying that.

Posted

I'm pretty sure she's from Northern Ireland. Like not certain, but pretty comfortable with saying that.

Yes she's from NI but six of our counties are still a part of the UK, hence why I recalled her saying she was from the UK a few times.

Posted

Does anyone know what exactly they're doing in Japan now? Is it because of her boyfriend, for studying or are they just there for... fun? I remember her mentioning that it's for a year, so I wondered how they're affording that.

Posted

Does anyone know what exactly they're doing in Japan now? Is it because of her boyfriend, for studying or are they just there for... fun? I remember her mentioning that it's for a year, so I wondered how they're affording that.

I know they mentioned saving up for it, and i know that certain visa's have different rules, I'm from Ireland, but we have a work and Vacation visa, where you're allowed to work for a few months in ireland, and then vacation around the rest of it, so you don't have to save up thousands to fund a three month trip, maybe they did something similar?

Posted

I like her! Her "boring" personality is a lot better than the regular obnoxious youtubers you see who are loud and annoying , I just hope that when she moves to Japan she doesn't turn out like the other foreigners there who act like they're better than everyone else because they're in Japan, I've known a few people to go sour once they've met the groups over there.

Posted (edited)

Hi, I haven't watched her video's in about a year or so. I quit watching when she started to do gameplay video's, they don't interest me. Anyway I looked her up today and saw a video about her 1-year anniversery with her bf? Wasn't she like 6 or 7 years in a relationship with her previous boyfriend? What happened?

Also is it just me or did she loose following? Her recent video's only have a few k views each.

Also does anyone have candids? I'm curious what she really looks like, unedited. (not that I believe she reconstructs her whole face but still, curious)

Edited by Couture