• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Grimes

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Oh man, Grimes/Purity Ring/Crystal Castles etc. is such a throwback to my early 2010s middle school years. In fact in 2013 when I was 12 I ran an aesthetic blog on Tumblr with pictures of flowers, pools, etc. and the songs Fineshrine by Purity Ring and Violent Dreams by Crystal Castles were on my blog's autoplay song list. :P

lollll the flashbacks that i'm having rn... Speaking of CC, it's a shame what went down. I really wanted to like Alice Glass's work but her new stuff isn't for me.

(kay without going ot any further..)

Just wondering cuz I wasn't really following the Poppy/Grimes case closely enough when it happened but I got the impression that the reason why Grimes didn't want to release the song she did with Poppy was because of Poppy's lawsuit with Mars Argo...? Prob didn't want the bad publicity..? 

Also, not sure if should include in the post but Grimes's also has history with ED. She has posted about her ED on livejournal before. (she had the same username she had on flickr)

Posted

Just wondering cuz I wasn't really following the Poppy/Grimes case closely enough when it happened but I got the impression that the reason why Grimes didn't want to release the song she did with Poppy was because of Poppy's lawsuit with Mars Argo...? Prob didn't want the bad publicity..? 

Hidden Content

That's probably likely. I included that Grimes followed Mars Argo after unfollowing Poppy on all platforms, but the articles I used as references didn't mention anything other than what Poppy said about Grimes being "controlling" so I included mainly that in there.

I'd suspected that she may have had an ED (especially when she called Azealia fat, like... what?) and I'll have to think about whether to add that or not, since it seems to be more of a personal closed-door battle than one publicly discussed, like her drug use. I'll have to think of where to add in that information if I do. Thank you for providing the links.

Posted

I'd suspected that she may have had an ED (especially when she called Azealia fat, like... what?) and I'll have to think about whether to add that or not, since it seems to be more of a personal closed-door battle than one publicly discussed, like her drug use. I'll have to think of where to add in that information if I do. Thank you for providing the links.

fair enough. yea @ that Azealia bit. It wouldn't be too far fetched to believe that she still has issues with ED, given her replies (and coupled with her still ongoing drug use)... I think the only time Grimes kinda lowkey (or maybe not that lowkey) mentioned about her poor eating habits was during her Visions-making process. I also remember her mentioning that her father was really strict about diet and made her eat weird protein shakes or something.

Posted

Insert new user blah blah blah comment but...

I do enjoy much of her music. It's silly and the epitome of faux-punk tumblr trends but I like it for working out, dancing around or drawing. The beats are pretty consistent and the lyrics aren't distracting, so it's good background music for me.

As for her politics; I think she's immature and lacks a backbone. She's not particularly spineless but I definitely get the impression that she's succumbed to selling out now that she's been getting more mainstream success these past few years. Not to mention the fact that she's dating a shitty billionaire who directly contradicts convictions she claims to support and thinks he understands how to budget when you're poor because he spent a month eating on a dollar a day (try less than a dollar a day for years Musky boy). It's unfortunate but most people who rose to acclaim seem to lose their once steadfast convictions in favor of gaining or at least maintaining fame and good fortune.

I like her funky outfits and the way her music has, for the most part, stayed on brand (at least for me even her new work sounds similar to what she's put out-I don't really consider someone going off brand unless they pull a Taylor Swift and switch genres). I don't follow her on social media because the way she types is annoying and performative. Also the gross hentai with characters who look like children creep me out so...no thanks lol.

Posted

That new album title, its cover art, and its subject matter are one big water-balloon full of piss if you ask me. The singles I've heard are all really dire, too. "We Appreciate Power" might be my most hated song of the year. Really tripe wannabe KMFDM if you ask me.

Posted (edited)

personally, i found her music to be a little tryhard-y, esp with all the Wacky and Quirky spellings. i just dont like that she is shifting politically/other opinions, esp when she deleted anti-imperialist from her bio,, ik its petty but like girl!! its ok to have your own opinions!!! n i feel now that shes dating musk shes like. giving in i guess?? she was already seemingly flighty with her opinions to begin with but now its being worsened by musk. plus, musk seems like a misogynist (following one woman on twitter when called out, him referring to himself as the alpha male, etc) but she called out ariel pink for being one?? i know people change but just bc youre dating him doesnt mean you have to be like Stan Elon

Edited by pietremi
fixed spelling of political and clarified it with /opinions

Posted (edited)

Screenshot_20191229-165144_Instagram.thu

I'm so confused cause they support both Poppy and Grimes. Does she have drama or was this a joke.

Edited by Sweet.Blossom

Posted

I have not checked it out but apparently the whole of her latest album already leaked a while back but she's acting like nothing happened. lol

Out of her recent releases, imo:

a) We Appreciate Power (I know this song is not included in the Miss Anthropocene final tracklist)--> Evangelion fan here, so i enjoyed the vibes from the lyric video but the song itself is eh, it's ok.

b) My Name is Dark--> Big fat nope from me. The Evangelion references are more obvious in the lyric video but it still can't make up for how this song is such a bore.

c) So Heavy I Fell To The Earth--> I like it. I vibe with it.

d) Violence--> I "like" it but the song is ok. It kinda feels like it goes nowhere. I do really like that her Iris van Herpen dress in the MV.

e) 4AEM--> OK. This shit SLAPS HARD. When the beat first drops at 0:59, phewwwwwwwW. I'm OBSESSED with this song but lbr that's because the best part of the song sampled Deewani Mastani. She did that sample really good, i must say.

I thought the performance video for 4AEM was really cool as well.

Posted

Screenshot_20191229-165144_Instagram.thu

I'm so confused cause she supports both Poppy and Grimes. Does she have drama or was this a joke.

Sorry to nitpick but their pronouns are they/them.

Maybe it’s possible they weren’t aware of the drama, or simply didn’t care because they like both artist’s music. They genuinely like the kind of trash Kim would make and posted another story listening to her music so I don’t think it was a joke.

Posted (edited)

Insert new user blah blah blah comment but...

I do enjoy much of her music. It's silly and the epitome of faux-punk tumblr trends but I like it for working out, dancing around or drawing. The beats are pretty consistent and the lyrics aren't distracting, so it's good background music for me.

As for her politics; I think she's immature and lacks a backbone. She's not particularly spineless but I definitely get the impression that she's succumbed to selling out now that she's been getting more mainstream success these past few years. Not to mention the fact that she's dating a shitty billionaire who directly contradicts convictions she claims to support and thinks he understands how to budget when you're poor because he spent a month eating on a dollar a day (try less than a dollar a day for years Musky boy). It's unfortunate but most people who rose to acclaim seem to lose their once steadfast convictions in favor of gaining or at least maintaining fame and good fortune.

I like her funky outfits and the way her music has, for the most part, stayed on brand (at least for me even her new work sounds similar to what she's put out-I don't really consider someone going off brand unless they pull a Taylor Swift and switch genres). I don't follow her on social media because the way she types is annoying and performative. Also the gross hentai with characters who look like children creep me out so...no thanks lol.

Idk I sort of expected it to happen. No one out there was really like Grimes tbh but now she's really trying to blend in with the celebs and basic mainstream artists etc. it's kinda sad. Musk, Poppy/Azealia Banks drama... the list of distractions goes on.

And I don't think her music is suffering either to be honest because it's hard to judge artist growth but like, the amount of time she spent promoting songs like WAP, Violence etc. was damn annoying. And then her blaming her label/management for not being able to give dates/demos/WIPs etc. was irritating too. I understand you could have health issues and what not but like, 5 years of waiting for an album imo is waaaay too long, even for self-produced artists. Sorry.

Edited by lv42

Posted (edited)

I made this topic post back in October and since then I've realized it was loaded with issues and incorrect information. I'm on a sort of internet hiatus, but I came back compelled to improve the post for the new decade and I've been fixing the topic for several hours at a time these past few days. I've also provided more references, pictures, and videos to back up each claim. I'm just now finishing the last few corrections, so thank you to everyone who patiently browsed through the less glamorous version for a few months. xD

Thank you as well to @goodtimes who mentioned the 2009 houseboat incident (which I'd considered putting in the topic, but didn't because I didn't know where it would fit in - I've now added a tab for that kind of information) and mentioned, plus provided evidence for, Grimes' long-term struggle with eating disorder(s). I definitely didn't add that information as an invitation to criticize her for it, I simply added it because there's an entire tab detailing her struggle with substance abuse and I don't see how struggling with an eating disorder couldn't have impacted her choice to make music or her work equally as much as a substance abuse problem would.

Miss Anthropocene (which I've awaited even though I've been listening to it since it leaked in October, lol) should be released in around a month, thankfully.

giphy.gif

Edited by sloane
How do I tag someone???

Posted (edited)

I made this topic post back in October and since then I've realized it was loaded with issues and incorrect information. I'm on a sort of internet hiatus, but I came back compelled to improve the post for the new decade and I've been fixing the topic for several hours at a time these past few days. I've also provided more references, pictures, and videos to back up each claim. I'm just now finishing the last few corrections, so thank you to everyone who patiently browsed through the less glamorous version for a few months. xD

Thank you as well to @goodtimes who mentioned the 2009 houseboat incident (which I'd considered putting in the topic, but didn't because I didn't know where it would fit in - I've now added a tab for that kind of information) and mentioned, plus provided evidence for, Grimes' long-term struggle with eating disorder(s). I definitely didn't add that information as an invitation to criticize her for it, I simply added it because there's an entire tab detailing her struggle with substance abuse and I don't see how struggling with an eating disorder couldn't have impacted her choice to make music or her work equally as much as a substance abuse problem would.

Miss Anthropocene (which I've awaited even though I've been listening to it since it leaked in October, lol) should be released in around a month, thankfully.

giphy.gif

just re-read the whole bio again. once again, another job well done on the editing and extra info!

re: your edit note. i'm not sure how to do that either and i'd like to learn how to  tag someone on PULL too :alpacaconfused:

Edited by goodtimes

Posted (edited)

The sound I made when I got the google notification for this. 

:feelgood:

I missed the instagram post she took down (or was it instagram?) though. Maybe it's for the best. Lol

Edited by goodtimes