• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Kenna's personality and autism

89 posts in this topic

Posted

My reference of Aspergers is in a book called House Rules, by Jodi Picouldt.

Unless Aspergers has various branches concerning behavior, she doesn't seem to have any autism.

Posted

I feel like I remember at some point in the nitpicking thread(?) people were talking about her possibly having autism. Is it possible that she read that over there and decided to roll with it?

Posted

I feel like I remember at some point in the nitpicking thread(?) people were talking about her possibly having autism. Is it possible that she read that over there and decided to roll with it?

I think that her generation is the generation of mental issued young adults. Back on my days everybody has to have the same stuff, like the same music and TV shows and have a favorite singer. Nowadays it's like everybody has to have BPD (or cancer, ain't that right, Dakota?), depression, anxiety and a favorite therapist. There has to be a disease about something. She could have taken advantage of all the speculation. I bet they will all do sometime. By now all snowflakes are lurkers, I presume.

Posted

I sorta hate to say to this, but sometimes I feel genuinely bad fro Kenna. What if, deep down inside, all this constant changing to stay relevant is killing her? What if the validation she seeks comes from the parenting she received? Maybe she wanted people to treat her the exact same way she was treated during her childhood and all her actions stem from desperation?

If that were the case, I totally understand her. She isn't necessarily evil, just a tad pretentious. 

Posted

Hidden Content

Yeah but at some point you just have to stop feeling sorry or bad for others just because they had a bad childhood or something! Kenna never hurt us personally, but just imagine you WOULD know her in real life, as a friend...and let’s just say, she is exactly the person she presents herself via social media...would you really give her a pass all the time just because *insert reason*?

I couldn’t do that tbh...I had friends like her (or what she seems to be) and at some point I had to end these friendships because they didn’t do me any good...and I noticed, that these friends played the victim card knowingly (is that the word?). Yeah, they had big problems growing up, yeah I gave them a lot of passes because of that, but that doesn’t excuse all of their actions! 

That came out probably too deep now, but I hope you get my point. :/

Posted

To be honest I can't feel bad for her. Because she has everything to have an easy life and enjoy life to the fullest laid out in front of her. She has so many followers, a lot of people (including myself) are dreaming of. She can make money just by uploading random YT videos which is the dream career for so many people. Even when she makes lazy and unmotivated videos she still gets so much praise. She doesn't need to change her personality constantly because there are so many people who will follow her no matter which aesthetic she choses next. And she's very very lazy and inconsistent with uploading and still has so many followers, so I doubt she really has to worry about that. There are YTers who have to pump out 1 or 2 videos per week to stay relevant and if one of them fails they might not make enough money per month. Kenna never has to worry about that and even if her content is a fail there are still enough people watching it. She also has her trust fund that gave her opportunity to make dreams come true some people can never make true. She is traveling to so many countries and seeing so many parts of the world. Some people work their whole life to go to all the places kenna has already been to. And she's also very wasteful when she's there (buying tons of clothes, going to theme parks etc) so it's not like she has to limit herself. She can go out, go to theme parks, meet new people, connect with people (due to her being an 'influencer'). She can collab with talented big personalities some of us might never collab with. I feel like every time she wants us to feel bad for her it's just her having immense first world problems while she actually has all the possibilities to be happy.

Posted

I just watched the video for the first time and realized that both the clinic name and the doctor who diagnosed her were posted in the video. So I looked her up and...

Screenshot_20191009-215717_Chrome.thumb.Screenshot_20191009-220431_Chrome.thumb.I have a couple points here. 1. She gradua with her master's degree just last year. I wouldn't necessarily trust her to give an accurate diagnosis. 2. Literally none of her research is on ASD or developmental disorders. She may know the traits of it, but I don't think she knows it well enough to diagnose it in three hours since even experienced psychologists have trouble diagnosing it after several sessions. 3. She's not even licenced yet! Why is she diagnosing people??

Posted (edited)

I just watched the video for the first time and realized that both the clinic name and the doctor who diagnosed her were posted in the video. So I looked her up and...

Screenshot_20191009-215717_Chrome.thumb.Screenshot_20191009-220431_Chrome.thumb.I have a couple points here. 1. She gradua with her master's degree just last year. I wouldn't necessarily trust her to give an accurate diagnosis. 2. Literally none of her research is on ASD or developmental disorders. She may know the traits of it, but I don't think she knows it well enough to diagnose it in three hours since even experienced psychologists have trouble diagnosing it after several sessions. 3. She's not even licenced yet! Why is she diagnosing people??

she at least has training for developmental disorders and some of the therapies listed apply to development disorders such as asd. According to this, she is indeed licensed but yeah maybe not for Japan? I still have not watched the video, but I am curious to see the wording of the document which contains the diagnosis she was given. But you are right, her current research focuses mainly on culture shock, not asd in Japan. Perhaps kenna was referred to her for this by her school, and for some reason it lead to her asd diagnosis? Still im with everyone here, 3 hours is only enough time for merely the initial visit to determine if it's worth it to pursue a diagnosis process for ASD in at least America, let alone any other country that ascribes to the dsm-v.

Edited by pilea
Wording

Posted

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this but i thought you literally couldn't be diagnosed with asperger's anymore. iirc for a few years it has just been diagnosed as asd instead. how is someone who got a master's as late as last year diagnosing kenna with something that hasn't been an official label for some time now? 

Posted (edited)

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this but i thought you literally couldn't be diagnosed with asperger's anymore. iirc for a few years it has just been diagnosed as asd instead. how is someone who got a master's as late as last year diagnosing kenna with something that hasn't been an official label for some time now? 

I was under the same impression. As far as I'm aware, a change in the DSM-V in 2013 established that there couldn't be any further legal diagnoses of "Asperger's syndrome" as it was declassified as a standalone disorder and is now considered to be the same as autism spectrum disorder. The existence of "Asperger's syndrome" in the first place is debatable, since the man who coined the term (medical professor Hans Asperger) allegedly created it with the intent of labeling autistic children as somehow being "less" autistic in order to prevent them from having to experience severe social mistreatment, medical malpractice, and in some cases the forced sterilization or euthanasia, common practices of the time. Basically, kids with "Asperger's syndrome" were autistic children and were just called something different for protection - it isn't a legitimate condition.

If she's telling the truth about being diagnosed, I can understand having a confusing or seemingly inconsistent diagnosis. I am autistic and have displayed outward symptoms all my life but didn't receive a formal, recorded diagnosis until I was 12 because I grew up in a poor family (in one of the poorest states, at that) and we didn't have that much access to decent healthcare (even less so in the United States, where healthcare is privatized.) This was despite the fact that I'd had several previous in-school counselors and therapists outside of school to manage the way that my symptoms and behaviors impacted my ability to function in school and other social settings. I'd learned ways to suppress my stimming and social ineptness by the time I even knew what autism was and received my diagnosis, so I got told a lot (and still do, to this day) that I "don't seem" autistic.

If her diagnosis is legitimate, both legally and being told truthfully, it'd imply that she was actually diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and is calling it "Asperger's" to make it seem more appealing to neurotypical fans (or herself) who likely have negative connotations with autism. It's still widely misunderstood and the beliefs stemming from those misunderstandings, such as the false ideas of there being "low-functioning" and "high-functioning" autistics (which is basically treated as a joke by the current-day psychology community) are beliefs that she, herself, could hold about autism.  Basically, her "diagnosis" seems sketchy, but it doesn't entirely rule out the possibility that she could be autistic. If she's changing her behavior immediately upon being diagnosed, though, that's suspicious. It's also not right to blame past problematic or otherwise questionable on your autism or try to use your autism to excuse it. Ask any autistic and they'll tell you that.

I apologize for the long post... I can be like Kenna and blame it on my autism, right? xD

Edited by sloane
Removed unnecessary words

Posted (edited)

I will say when I received my diagnosis, i was given the current label according to the dsm-v, but told that I would have been given the asperger's diagnosis previously. He did explain briefly that it was no longer the correct label, but that it could be useful when trying to communicate where a lot of my symptoms and traits fall on the spectrum. Especially to older people who do not stay current with the dsm.

I doubt her own psychologist did the same, but if she did, I could see kenna ignoring the generalized asd label and going straight for what was previously considered to be a gifted/savant label. The "positive" side of autism, if you will. 

Edited by pilea
This is basically to support the point made on the post above

Posted (edited)

I doubt her own psychologist did the same, but if she did, I could see kenna ignoring the generalized asd label and going straight for what was previously considered to be a gifted/savant label. The "positive" side of autism, if you will.

That's what I'm thinking. The word "autistic" alone has far more negative connotations than a word like "Asperger's" even when referring to the same condition. She'd be the person to choose the ~prettier~ or ~quirkier~ term.

Edited by sloane
Removed unnecessary word

Posted

Here where I live it can't even be diagnosed in adults because it's a development trait. I don't know in other parts of the world.

I agree with the person who said she probably went with the more quirkier diagnosis. You can bet that if the Peter Pan syndrome was diagnosable she would have gone with that one.

Posted

I've been away for a while now (last I've heard of Kenken, she dyed that horrible oil spill streak and hated it, blamed her hair stylist for ruining her cronchy hair) and now I'm back. I caught up with the main Kenna thread, and oh boy, I missed a bunch. The only thing that really confused me was the autistic shtick?? So thank God for this thread, or else I wouldn't know where it all came from.

For those saying that therapists you can't be diagnosed with Asperger's anymore; 1) Yes that's what I heard too 2) But when Kenna showed her "official diagnostic" in her  video, it said ASD, not Asperger's. She called it that.

BUT I don't believe that she's on the spectrum. I think she's just a narcissistic condensending bitch hopping on yet another tumblr hype train of "I have a mental disorder and that's why I'm an ass". Like her boho phase that quickly died, this will eventually die too. Before anyone gets mad, I have an uncle who does have asperger's, and I have friends who are on the spectrum too. :') I have nothing against them, but what Kenna named as her symptoms are just...normal thing?

Physical symptoms:

My eyes are also sensitive to sunlight and gusts of wind. I'm not autistic, surprisingly. I just have really dry eyes and should use eye drops but putting stuff in my eyes terrifies me.

Ears being sensitive to big sounds? Isn't that a trait for pretty much most introverts? My ears are sensitive to sound because I'm agoraphobic and I have part of an eardrum that is ruptured. Again, not autistic.

Hates being touched? So do all PTSD victims, and people with general anxiety or issues with proximity. I'm a victim of abuse so I hate being touched. You can guess what I'll say next - STILL NOT AUTISTIC.

Sensitive skin? So do people with eczema...my skin is sensitive, I need to look out for fabric softness and there are some detergents that case bad reactions. Lots of people take tags off their clothes just because it's annoying to have something brushing up against your neck. Wearing socks inside out? How quirky, Kenna.

Other traits:

Food tastes differently...how would she know that what she tastes isn't the same as what her friend is tasting? And considering how she only eats things with tons of sugar, everything she tastes are pretty much the same. There are no varying flavours. It's all in the same palette. And even so, coriander tastes like soap to some while it tastes really good to others. Some professional chefs probably are on the spectrum, but it's safe to say that you don't have to be autistic to have developped tastebuds.

Unability to understand emotion? She shows tons of emotion, and those emotions are limited to rage and pride. She boasts about her trips, expensive purchases and her excessive spending all the time. She talks about how many things she does in a day and that we only see 2% of her life on social media. She says we're envious of what she has and that we're just haters. Someone who can't understand emotions wouldn't understand that they have "haters" and that those haters feel envy. Those are emotions. Someone who can't understand emotions would say things bluntly, and sure she is blunt af, but they wouldn't know that their words can be harmful. Kenna reacts to every comment that criticizes her in any way, hell, even comments that aren't negative but aren't praising her like the Goddess that she is. She hardly ever responds to positive comments. How would someone who doesn't understand emotions differenciate the two? Why reply to only one type of comment?

Blaming that some videos are boring, uninteresting, that she sounds bored. I don't believe that it's due to autism. She's bored and uninterested when she's pressured to make a video because she hasn't posted in months and is slowly losing her influencer status. Then she poops out some monotone video about what's in her bag. 

Blaming her plagiarism and past scandals on her diagnosis? Really? And she said that she wasn't going to use it as an excuse...Kenna, people have asked if you have come up with those drawings yourself. You said they came out from your own imagination. Don't try to bullshit out of this one, I see you.

"Compulsive" Behaviours:

Ordering the same thing from the same place is an autistic trait? Well, I'm gonna tell that to my doctor, she diagnosed me with depression/anxiety all these years when it might be something more.

Everyone has favourite places to go, and everyone has a thing that they order each and every single time. It becomes a compulsive behaviour if that person can ONLY eat those foods. Kenna might be right on this one, since she only eats pancakes. But then again, she mentionned In and Out...do they have pancakes?

Compulsive habits like putting her ring on and taking it off? Most people have a quirk when they're bored or stressed. Some twirl their hair with their fingers, some bite their fingernails, some scratch themselves, some keep clicking their pen, some keep bouncing their knee...

And if screeching when you're excited is a trait, we better warn all those fangirls.

And lastly, hyperfocusing on their interests. On an autistic level, that would mean that they know every little detail of their interest. Kenna claims to be a Harry Potter fan but she never even read the books, she only watched the movies. She changed JKR's narrative of an American School to suit her own fantasy instead of creating her own school. An obsessive fan wouldn't change what's canon. They might add onto it, but what's pre-established would be sacred to them.

Diagnosis

And finally, like others say, it takes more than a 3-hour session to have an accurate diagnosis. Sometimes, it could take years of scheduled appointments to pinpoint a diagnosis. It's something that can be determined on an extended time period, since some could be "masking" and try to mimic what's normal, thus not getting the help they need. In Kenna's case...it seems like maybe she overexaggerated to get a diagnosis. The doctor probably told her that it would take many sessions, but was pushed to say SOMETHING, so she said that she MIGHT have ASD...and here we are.

Posted (edited)

Diagnosis

And finally, like others say, it takes more than a 3-hour session to have an accurate diagnosis. Sometimes, it could take years of scheduled appointments to pinpoint a diagnosis. It's something that can be determined on an extended time period, since some could be "masking" and try to mimic what's normal, thus not getting the help they need. In Kenna's case...it seems like maybe she overexaggerated to get a diagnosis. The doctor probably told her that it would take many sessions, but was pushed to say SOMETHING, so she said that she MIGHT have ASD...and here we are.

I agree with this. According to the clinic's website, I presumed the service she engaged in is the psychological testing services. The descriptive is as depicted in the image below.

Capture.thumb.PNG.a286fbe748e4f6930d4e84.

It makes sense then that her psychologist, although not fully qualified, was able to attend to her. Presuming from my experience from conducting assessments during research, almost anyone can be specifically trained to conduct these types of assessment. The assessments will come with specific instructions and scoring methods to conduct the session. The scores will then serve as a guide to understand whether a person is what the test is trying to assess. For example, a high score on a depression scale will tell us that the person is depressed. However, further examination is required to confirm if the person is indeed suffering from depression. Some assessments, especially oral, are more sensitive and requires the person to at least be somewhat certified or licensed in the field. In this sense, her psychologist definitely has the qualification to conduct the assessment for her.

We can quite safely say that she did not have an actual "diagnosis", rather an "evaluation" (which is clearly written "evaluation report" in the image above). An evaluation/assessment does not equate to a diagnosis. It is only meant to facilitate in the future examination.

Taking into consideration that she probably went alone, the psychologist will have even lesser information necessary for a better assessment. Have Kenna mention what feedback/advice was given because it is highly likely is along the lines of her going back for a better evaluation. 

This is very much like her personality test fiasco. 

Edited by mitsukuni