• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Kanadajin3 Videos

4726 posts in this topic

Posted

ETA: "Some people might think I'm wasting my time [on learning to write] but I'm having fun." I can't think of a single person who would care if somebody else is learning to write in a language? Does she really think people would care?

wasn't she talking about studying from different books just like a young child would at school in japan? I mean, she's "studying" science, geography and other stuff...

I don't have an issue with her learning new stuff (though those books looked brand new, like she never even opened them till she started recording the video imo), but she said she "loves studying", yet isn't she a highschool dropout?

Maybe she didn't like to study stuff IN ENGLISH

Posted

Well she has downturned eyes and don't know how to apply make up for her eyetype. 
If I would have such eyes I would go for high cat wings (which goes from the eye inner corner until the wing) 

like the eyeliner of CL in that picture (couldn't find other photo)

When the eyeliner does not touch the outer corner of the eye, would be the best maybe

And for her eyelashes, if they are that big for her, she should cut off some of it and also glue it on the eyeliner so it does not follow her natural eyelash line (because it does make her downturned eyes more downturned)

And last she shouldn't touch with any color or eyeliner the lower eyelid so it does not get attention from people

Thats how I would do her eye makeup don't know if I am right but it would lift her eyes a little bit for sure

CL.jpg

Posted

New video!

Edit : Just noticed how awful her fake eyelashes looks :alpacadone: 

Okay what the actual f. I've studied Japanese for 2 years (I did my first year twice, I failed the first time. OTL) and EVERYONE in their first year can read better and faster than her. And saying she's bad at writing kanji is not an excuse to write them so nonchallantly. No wonder she sucks at it.

Posted

"I have a tone of books." Am I the only one who feels urge to slap her after few minutes?

Posted

It really sounded like she started out reading it all alone when the camera was on her while she recited (because it was slow, badly intoned, and had a lot of mispronunciations), but then as the camera focused on the book rather than her, it's pretty clear to me that either someone was coaching her or she wrote everything out in Romaji (English letters) so she could say it more easily (because it became faster with fewer mistakes). The quality of her reading was like night and day to me. I'm putting my money on writing it out in Romaji AND getting coached phrase by phrase. She obviously had a really hard time reading, contrary to her protestations that she can read perfectly even if she can't write.

Posted

She clearly has a very different definition of "fluent" than most people.

If she really loves studying, she'd be way better in her reading and writing skills than she is now. However, she did decide to "go right through the Japanese education system [...] from the start to end". So that would explain why she has the reading fluency of a 3rd grader. But then again, she's been there for (over?) 4 years. So she should be as fluent as a 4th grader.  :harharplz:

Her face looks poofier than before, did she gain weight? Not that it matters either way, it's just ironic since she has made fat-shaming videos in the past.

Posted

man she really is gaining a lot of weight recently. 

Posted

About Mira's odd use of the word 'fluent' to refer to her Japanese language skills -- the word 'fluent' is defined as 'able to speak (a foreign language) accurately and with facility' or 'able to speak or write a foreign language easily and accurately'. This doesn't allude anything to the person's actual range of skill. I mean, I can write about my family in Spanish easily and accurately (but not about much else), so by this definition I could call myself fluent in Spanish due to the ambiguity of the definition.

However, if we use the term 'fluent' in the context of actual graded language proficiency, it's defined with much more detail. For example, the word 'fluent' does not appear in the ILR scale to describe the person's language proficiency until Level 4 ('Full professional proficiency'), which is only below Level 5 ('Native or bilingual proficiency'). ILR Level 4 is described as follows:

• able to use the language fluently and accurately on all levels and as normally pertinent to professional needs.
  • can understand and participate in any conversations within the range of own personal and professional experience with a high degree of fluency and precision of vocabulary
  • would rarely be taken for a native speaker, but can respond appropriately even in unfamiliar grounds or situations
  • makes only quite rare and minute errors of pronunciation and grammar
  • can handle informal interpreting of the language.

By the CEFR standard, which is in use in Europe, the word 'fluent' also appears only at the second-highest level, C1 (C2 being the highest) and is described as follows:

• Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning.
  • Can express ideas fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions.
  • Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
  • Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.

(Keep in mind that these conditions must all be filled to qualify for the respective level.)

Do you guys think Mira's Japanese is 'fluent' based on these standards?

Posted

wasn't she talking about studying from different books just like a young child would at school in japan? I mean, she's "studying" science, geography and other stuff...

I don't have an issue with her learning new stuff (though those books looked brand new, like she never even opened them till she started recording the video imo), but she said she "loves studying", yet isn't she a highschool dropout?

Maybe she didn't like to study stuff IN ENGLISH

I did not take it that way watching it, but again, if that were the case it would still stand. She thinks people care that much about what she does on her downtime???

As for high school dropout, I thought her and ex-hubby met and dated in college? Also, didn't she claim to have switched to student visa?

Posted

I did not take it that way watching it, but again, if that were the case it would still stand. She thinks people care that much about what she does on her downtime???

As for high school dropout, I thought her and ex-hubby met and dated in college? Also, didn't she claim to have switched to student visa?

She never graduated high school, and I can't remember if she ever said where or how she met her ex husband.  She claims she was on a working holiday visa, spousal visa and student visa.  Not necessarily in that order..

Posted

She met her ex-hubby in an izakaya in Canada. And she went with him to Japan on a working holiday visa (or something like that) when his Canadian visa was about to expire. There they were married for 2 months and after the divorce she had to find a way to stay in Japan. So she paid 2000 dollars to go to language school (where she claims to have learned nothing) to get the student visa.

Wow, typing on the mobile version is very slow and annoying

Posted

She met her ex-hubby in an izakaya in Canada. And she went with him to Japan on a working holiday visa (or something like that) when his Canadian visa was about to expire. There they were married for 2 months and after the divorce she had to find a way to stay in Japan. So she paid 2000 dollars to go to language school (where she claims to have learned nothing) to get the student visa.

Hidden Content

Thanks for clearing that up! Been quite awhile since I saw her earlier vids. Was he there studying in university? (Maybe I remember that part and made the assumption) If she's a high school dropout, guess it's proof you can even live in Japan. If there's a will, there's a way. :feelgud:

Posted

Got curious and decided to watch her video. It's honestly one of her cuter ideas, I'd rather watch this than a rant. However, I'd be a little embarrassed if I were her (Honestly, ghost-writing is a concept you haven't heard of Mira? It was even in the Japanese news recently...) and yeah, she would benefit from reading practice.

Posted

You can very easily get a working holiday visa if you're Canadian, but I think once you change it to another visa type (which she would have done to get the spousal visa), you forfeit the rest of your WH visa. If she legally married him in Canada before going to Japan, it would've been much easier to register her marriage, but getting married IN JAPAN has a lot more forms, and doesn't magically take care of visa paperwork.

I think if they only spent two months married, then that wouldn't have even been enough time to get a spousal visa, because even after getting the marriage paperwork done (the "kon-in todoke" 婚姻届, aka "the easy part"… (- - ; ) ), it takes most international couples about two months minimum to get visa approval. The paperwork you have to fill out includes the usual identification and informational forms, asks for the Japanese spouse's tax returns from the past two years, and also has a VERY THOROUGH questionnaire all in Japanese for the Japanese spouse. This questionnaire (or "shitsumon-sho" 質問書) asks things like "when and where did you meet? Who introduced you?", "What language do you primarily speak together? How proficient is your spouse in Japanese?", "Between the times you meet, how long do you usually spend apart?", and "Who will be a guarantor and take responsibility of sending your spouse out of Japan if the visa is not granted?". They also require lots of lovey-dovey pictures. (credentials: just got married recently, currently working on visa paperwork… (;・∀・) )

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the real reason for the separation was that the visa paperwork was either too much, or she wasn't approved in the first place…

Any idiot can sign up for a two-bit Japanese school, pay the pretty coin, and get a student visa. That may have been her fallback.

Posted

You can very easily get a working holiday visa if you're Canadian, but I think once you change it to another visa type (which she would have done to get the spousal visa), you forfeit the rest of your WH visa. If she legally married him in Canada before going to Japan, it would've been much easier to register her marriage, but getting married IN JAPAN has a lot more forms, and doesn't magically take care of visa paperwork.

I think if they only spent two months married, then that wouldn't have even been enough time to get a spousal visa, because even after getting the marriage paperwork done (the "kon-in todoke" 婚姻届, aka "the easy part"… (- - ; ) ), it takes most international couples about two months minimum to get visa approval. The paperwork you have to fill out includes the usual identification and informational forms, asks for the Japanese spouse's tax returns from the past two years, and also has a VERY THOROUGH questionnaire all in Japanese for the Japanese spouse. This questionnaire (or "shitsumon-sho" 質問書) asks things like "when and where did you meet? Who introduced you?", "What language do you primarily speak together? How proficient is your spouse in Japanese?", "Between the times you meet, how long do you usually spend apart?", and "Who will be a guarantor and take responsibility of sending your spouse out of Japan if the visa is not granted?". They also require lots of lovey-dovey pictures. (credentials: just got married recently, currently working on visa paperwork… (;・∀・) )

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the real reason for the separation was that the visa paperwork was either too much, or she wasn't approved in the first place…

Any idiot can sign up for a two-bit Japanese school, pay the pretty coin, and get a student visa. That may have been her fallback.

That’s a good point about the timing, I wondered about that too. I think there was speculation that she didn't legally divorce him until later after their separation, so maybe she held a spousal visa during that interval, but yeah, it's no easy acquisition. Maybe she just lied to brag she married before?

(Off topic, but congrats! I'm in the same boat as you too, dealing with small town officials and paperwork is going to be the death of me.)