Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ableism. Your thoughts?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Since this small discussion popped it's head in the general Venus thread and in a snowflake thread (Lobsterhandgirl, i am too lazy to search her name), i decided that creating this thread would be interesting. This thread has no wrong or right, everyone has their own opinion and believe on this matter, so no pointing lobsterhandfingers (jk, sorry) at each other. So respect and discuss as pleased on your thoughts on ableism.

Wikipedia tells me this about ableism.

Ableism or ablism[1] (/ˈblɪzəm/) is a perceived form of discrimination or social prejudice against people with disabilities. It may also be referred to as disability discriminationablecentrism,[2] physicalismhandicapism, anddisability oppression.[3] It is also sometimes known as disablism, although there is some dispute as to whether ableism and disablism are synonymous, and some people within disability rights circles find the latter term's use inaccurate. Discrimination faced by those who have or are perceived to have a mental disorder is sometimes called mentalismrather than ableism.

Posted

I've dealt with ableism and I sympathize with people who put up with it, but people like lobster hands use it only to their benefit and not because they care about discrimination and stigmatizism. What infuriates me about lobster hands is that she throws it around each time someone points out she could do stuff but is simply too lazy to. She doesn't even TRY.

Then you got people on tumblr getting all pissy when you tell them to take a fucking shower because they stink. They scream ableism. Like no bitch take a shower and if you seriously can't find it within you to do so go to a hospital and they can give you ECT to help you get out of bed and do simple things like take a shower. 

Posted

I dunno....

I am disabled myself and if there are ppl who have prejudices against disabled ppl like me i am just don't care about them?? Like if someone discriminates someone who is disabled they have just met for the first time because of their disability i think i don't need such a person in my life and ignore them bc i am not my disability, wth. They are not worth my time.

But some disabled ppl are like 'but that's ableism!!!' all the time when they are even slightly critized but I think a lot of those ppl are not being critized bc of their disability but bc of their character. I think they should not use the word ableism as an excuse for anything they do wrong and therefore i do understand that ppl are annoyed sometimes. BUT i think that is because of some ppl having a bad personality indeed and are rubbing their disability into the face of literally anyone in order to justify their mistakes and to get pity instead of growing up. It is really up to the person.

I honestly don't really care that much about ableism and I think a lot of disabled ppl I know personally are strong enough not to care about it when ppl try to pick on them bc of their disability. I think all ppl who use their brain and common sense are adult enough not to discriminate someone because of their disability and I honestly don't want to be involved with someone who is so intolorant to pick on disabled ppl and don't understand that disabilities are nothing that one choses to have.

So I indeed think that ableism is not ok but some disabled ppl use it as an excuse to get away with anything so i can understand that some ppl are annoyed and have prejudices, but i am also ok with either ignoring it or proving ppl that my disability does not defy me.

Posted

I won't really go into any detailing but I am mentally disabled myself, and I pretty much live with it until I die, but least I can kinda blend in with it since I've gotten older lol

I definitely feel a bit strongly on this topic since I've experienced some really hurtful things from my family (since they know about it obviously) and are willing to use it against me during certain occasions... I can't really speak for people with physical disabilities since I can't relate but they get some nasty stuff thrown at them, but I feel like more people are willing to be helpful to them and such because it can be kinda obvious in that case, but if its something more mental people will either think you're lying, being "dramatic" and/or worst case scenario not "this enough" (which I've experienced it pretty badly. Ive dealt with heavy depression and anxiety along with my issue and it kinda comes with it for a lot of cases, its landed me in the hospital a few times. But if someone seems more "depressed" or something else than you then they don't really care about helping you that much)

Also one more thing I want to say is Ableist language, which seems to be getting more attention. I can kinda get some commonly used words may not have nice origins, but I'm kind of surprised the meanings never changed since they are used so differently now?...

Posted

The problem with "ableism" in an online sense is that it usually resolves people resorting to extremes in order to try and police the way others talk, straying into what I really do believe is sjw territory. While the word itself was definitely intended to be in a good context, to actually describe physically and mentally disabled people being treated like crap for their issues: it's become a laughingstock with the branding of words like "stupid" as alleged ableism.

to me, ableism isn't even terminology, but more the way people treat you. name calling I can tolerate, I actually don't give a shit about the word "retarded" or "psycho" (contextually most ppl don't mean to use those offensively), but if people go around making me sound like nothing but a stigma, mock me for having a mental issue I can't control, abandon me after discovering that I have a mental problem even if they were willing to accept me as I was, or if they're like my mother and treat me sometimes as almost a subhuman for struggling with them, then yes, I get a little fucking pissed over that. And honestly, I've had a lot of people treat me differently after finding out I have mental issues. That being said, I think the word "ableism" is still very highly misused and has been twisted by the tumblrinas to try and justify their six self diagnosed comorbid personality disorders that don't actually exist and perhaps even harm the reputation of those with mood disorders.

Posted

I dunno....

I am disabled myself and if there are ppl who have prejudices against disabled ppl like me i am just don't care about them?? Like if someone discriminates someone who is disabled they have just met for the first time because of their disability i think i don't need such a person in my life and ignore them bc i am not my disability, wth. They are not worth my time.

But some disabled ppl are like 'but that's ableism!!!' all the time when they are even slightly critized but I think a lot of those ppl are not being critized bc of their disability but bc of their character. I think they should not use the word ableism as an excuse for anything they do wrong and therefore i do understand that ppl are annoyed sometimes. BUT i think that is because of some ppl having a bad personality indeed and are rubbing their disability into the face of literally anyone in order to justify their mistakes and to get pity instead of growing up. It is really up to the person.

I honestly don't really care that much about ableism and I think a lot of disabled ppl I know personally are strong enough not to care about it when ppl try to pick on them bc of their disability. I think all ppl who use their brain and common sense are adult enough not to discriminate someone because of their disability and I honestly don't want to be involved with someone who is so intolorant to pick on disabled ppl and don't understand that disabilities are nothing that one choses to have.

So I indeed think that ableism is not ok but some disabled ppl use it as an excuse to get away with anything so i can understand that some ppl are annoyed and have prejudices, but i am also ok with either ignoring it or proving ppl that my disability does not defy me.

Actually I wanted to write a response on my thoughts about ableism but she already did it for me.

I just have to add that there are some people I came across who think you're less worth because you have a disability. I think that's ableism too and I seriously think those people need to feel better than someone else and they use disabilities as a justification to do so. It's pretty stupid.

I also had a friend who constantly blamed all of her mistakes onto her skin disease and I can tell you it's fucking annoying. But not every disabled is like that. Generalizations are always stupid imho and someone who puts all the disabled into one box is bonkers. Unfortunately I have someone in my own family circle who is like that. She seriously said "it's my fault I got disabled" and I was like man, that woman is mental. There are diseases and disabilities you can influence and kind of trigger and there are ones you can't. In my case it's the last one. Disabled people already have enough struggles, not only the everyday struggle with dealing with their disability, but also with doctors who can be extremely prejudiced too. I had to experience that a lot. And it's just crazy that someone who's in the medical field is ableist. But it happens more often than people would think. It's bad enough for disabled people so I wish people would just drop the ableism. It's ridiciolous.

Posted

I dunno....

Do you feel that way about "homophobia" and "transphobia"? 

Posted

Ableism has always made me uncomfortable just like any rascism, sexism etc. My little sister is low-functioning autistic (that term itself is slightly ableist), she's 8 years old and my mother still has to change her diapers and she's non-verbal.

She didn't ask to be born that way and to see her so frustrated that she can't even express herself breaks my heart. I don't know why people think this is a joke, it's not funny to joke about people who are struggling so much with serious disorders that they didn't cause.

I also get really pissed off at all those "triggered" jokes people say, because that word used as a way to warn people who had unpleasant past experiences/depression about the content that was in it.

I feel like disabled people should be treated as what they are, human beings. I believe that everyone should work to the best of their ability, and just because some one is less able than you to do something does not mean they are less of a person.