• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Can we keep Online Personalities?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, with the new changes we can't make any more threads in Online Personalities. In my opinion, I think we should keep being able to have OP threads. In the past, a lot of our flake dumpster fires began as Online Personalities (Invadernoodles, gothfruits etc). Sometimes the revelation that someone is a flake and cheats, steals, etc is the natural progression of a thread. I get the main purpose of PULL is Snowflakes, but I think we would be losing a lot of "hidden gems" if we get rid of Online Personalities as singular individuals may not have enough information to make a detailed first post that would warrant snowflake status - the making of a great summary is often a collective effort, which is often birthed in the Online Personalities threads. 

Edited by House

Posted

The main issue with Online Personalities threads, in my opinion, is that they start out as "fan threads", critical voices can be drowned out, and then once actual drama happens, there's a lot of infighting from those who were posting as fans and want to defend the online personality. The lines would be clearer if all threads are understood to be "drama threads". There doesn't have to be a full-blown shitfest to warrant a thread, but I think that some level of controversy should be required. I'm sure some middle ground can be found, though, and definitely a place for tentative flakes so users can collaborate on a good thread summary.

Posted (edited)

The main issue with Online Personalities threads, in my opinion, is that they start out as "fan threads", critical voices can be drowned out, and then once actual drama happens, there's a lot of infighting from those who were posting as fans and want to defend the online personality. The lines would be clearer if all threads are understood to be "drama threads". There doesn't have to be a full-blown shitfest to warrant a thread, but I think that some level of controversy should be required. I'm sure some middle ground can be found, though, and definitely a place for tentative flakes so users can collaborate on a good thread summary.

Hmm, perhaps allow OP to exist but require some level of controversy to permit the thread to be approved? Some OPs with controversies are not quite snowflake status but deserve to be discussed (most Jvloggers, for example).

I view Online Personalities as a sort of snowflake nursery, us being a nurturing teacher patiently waiting for an absolute shitfest to happen so we can gossip about it and, if we are fortunate enough, can elevate the Online Personality to snowflake status they worked so hard on lol. 

Edited by House