• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular Opinions (Manga Edition)

11 posts in this topic

Posted

It seems like there is none for manga so I made one:

- Dolls by Naked Ape is really underrated

- In general Naked Ape's work is underrated

Posted

(manhwa) Hwang Mi Ri may be seen as trashy by some but I absolutely love her earlier works - around 2000 to 2008, that's when her storylines were the most diverse.

Liar Game is also terribly underrated even though it is definitely up there with Death Note.

Posted

(manhwa) Hwang Mi Ri may be seen as trashy by some but I absolutely love her earlier works - around 2000 to 2008, that's when her storylines were the most diverse.

Liar Game is also terribly underrated even though it is definitely up there with Death Note.

I wish I could like this, but I already used the 25 up for today ^^'

Posted

I think Liar Game would have gotten more popular if it had an official English release and/or anime.

Posted

I think Liar Game would have gotten more popular if it had an official English release and/or anime.

Probably :(

also I think Iris Zero had a lot of potential (the idea was for once that not the main character is special, but everyone else is), but due to the hiatus a lot of fans fogot about it or grew out of the shoujo genre

Posted (edited)

• Route End is boring as fuck
  • Killing morph is good 
  • Dead tube has a interesting premise but that whole camping teen horror movie arc was bullshit so bullshit
Edited by Fairyduster

Posted

I wish companies actually listened to their consumers and release digital releases as physicals and maybe even, you know, bring back old series for a reprint and finish older series cause they can afford it now.

Kaiju girl is really cute

I wish Nana to Kaoru had an English release as well as 50+ other series that are in a lot of other languages but English.

Yes, I would kill for an English physical release of that series

Posted

Not unpopular, but I wish I could know what the hell happened with Nana. Apparently the author became ill, the hiatus by now reached the 10 year mark. It was a great manga, so I'm sad lol. 

A lot of manga romanticised very toxic relationship dynamics and it annoys me. When I was 14/15 I saw no problem with it and thought it was cute. But when I re-read Watashi ni XX Shinasai, I was shocked by how toxic every character was. 

Kind of spoilers:

-MC's cousin, who she went out with after the main love interest didn't wanna touch her because "she's so precious", was angry that MC felt at ease with him because if she loved him she should be all nervous and scared and dokidoki. OF COURSE SHE WOULD FEEL AT EASE, DUMBASS, YOU GREW UP TOGETHER. He then proceeds to unzip her dress in a public place to show her she shouldn't trust him or something

-Main guy is a total dick. She is toxic too. But it's supposed to be romantic. 

-One character is showed as toxic and is called "immature". His abuse of his unrequited love interest is more straightforward (leaving her in public places alone on purpose though he knew she had terrible anxiety and panic attacks), but IMO just as bad as what the other characters did to each other that was portrayed as "romantic".

We could say that most 13-15 year olds have toxic relationships, so it's normal. But that shit romanticises those dynamics rather than actually show that that is not the love one should strive for, but a relationship of equality - a partnership. The only seemingly healthy relationship in the series is the MC's parents. This shit is often aimed at girls of middle school age and it is disturbing, because then they'd likely think that being in an abusive relationship is romantic. I used to be like that, and trust me, didn't end well lol. 

Why are manga showing healthy romantic relationships so difficult to find?? 

Posted

Not unpopular, but I wish I could know what the hell happened with Nana. Apparently the author became ill, the hiatus by now reached the 10 year mark. It was a great manga, so I'm sad lol. 

A lot of manga romanticised very toxic relationship dynamics and it annoys me. When I was 14/15 I saw no problem with it and thought it was cute. But when I re-read Watashi ni XX Shinasai, I was shocked by how toxic every character was. 

Kind of spoilers:

-MC's cousin, who she went out with after the main love interest didn't wanna touch her because "she's so precious", was angry that MC felt at ease with him because if she loved him she should be all nervous and scared and dokidoki. OF COURSE SHE WOULD FEEL AT EASE, DUMBASS, YOU GREW UP TOGETHER. He then proceeds to unzip her dress in a public place to show her she shouldn't trust him or something

-Main guy is a total dick. She is toxic too. But it's supposed to be romantic. 

-One character is showed as toxic and is called "immature". His abuse of his unrequited love interest is more straightforward (leaving her in public places alone on purpose though he knew she had terrible anxiety and panic attacks), but IMO just as bad as what the other characters did to each other that was portrayed as "romantic".

We could say that most 13-15 year olds have toxic relationships, so it's normal. But that shit romanticises those dynamics rather than actually show that that is not the love one should strive for, but a relationship of equality - a partnership. The only seemingly healthy relationship in the series is the MC's parents. This shit is often aimed at girls of middle school age and it is disturbing, because then they'd likely think that being in an abusive relationship is romantic. I used to be like that, and trust me, didn't end well lol. 

Why are manga showing healthy romantic relationships so difficult to find?? 

omg yess!!! Does anyone else remember Kaikan Phrase?  It was so popular over 15 years ago but I swear the author always had the same story lines where the girl was in an abusive relationship and the male lead was an absolute asshole - of course we were supposed to swoon over his treatment of the heroine but wtf....

the anime version toned down a lot of the abuse but it was still implied (the music was good tho)

The japanese live action was pretty good imo but it's quite old.  They also made a korean remake but I think it flopped so they didn't bother with a second season.  It's such a pity because the whole premise of the manga is so good...

Posted

I miss the old CLAMP art style than the new CLAMP art style

Posted

Since in Tokyo Ghoul Kaneki joined Aogiri I had problems to sometimes recognize a character, but it got way worse in Tokyo Ghoul: RE to the point that I skipped sites, where non of the main or lead characters were, because sometimes there were so many characters and so many looked similar that I was just confused. I have a really bad memory with recognizing faces, but I can't be the only one, who says that too many looked (especially through the art style) the same.