• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

@ Mods? Nyx? Anyone?

80 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah, the site was down for a whole week here. I could get to the tea when it was fresh and I'm sad : (

but do take your time.

Damn, a week? It was last weekend for me, two whole days. 

Posted

Damn, a week? It was last weekend for me, two whole days. 

yah, and when i got here, the tea was cold : (

Posted

I'll give Discord another shot. I'm struggling with it. Last year I was using it just fine but I stopped. I'm not sure if I've been booted for not being active but no rooms are showing except Kanadajin3 which I can't access anymore either.

Posted

How can I get my account deleted or get banned, or something to where I have no access? I have poor self control and this website is a time such for me 😂

Posted

how do you join discord?

Posted (edited)

How can I get my account deleted or get banned, or something to where I have no access? I have poor self control and this website is a time such for me 😂

Message a mod and ask them to ban your account (deleting is not possible as it messes with the infrastructure of the website).

Edit: I’ve reported your account to help you out (that’s a weird thing to say).

Edited by Biscuit

Posted

We don't do this. You're an adult and can make your own decisions, we don't babysit our users.

how do you join discord?

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/announcement/22-official-pull-discord/

Posted

Can you chill? why you're so rude to the users? tbh i think is stupid to have a page where you can create an account but you can't delete the same 

PULL is all about holding others accountable for their actions. I believe we can trust our users to take responsibility for their own posts as well.

Posted

PULL is all about holding others accountable for their actions. I believe we can trust our users to take responsibility for their own posts as well.

then is the only solution banning this user to oblivion? can’t this be done? why is it impossible? It’s not babysitting, it’s just a request and I’m pretty sure it’s not that hard, Rhea. 

Posted

Hi friends,

I am alive, things have been really busy on my end.

I tried to add in anti-spam tools and it messed with a lot of settings I need to work on so some things have been wonky, including some current mods accidentally being booted. The site isn't abandoned, I haven't been working on it as much during the past couple of weeks, I quit my real life job so have been overloaded with wrapping that up and I paid the server bill a bit late this month so the site was down.

I'm trying to rebuild the team, that is the top priority right now. I have to delegate conducting the mod interviews to a head mod, those are happening soon. PULL has grown massively since I first took it on, and it's extremely important to make sure new users can be on-boarded so we don't get spam on the site, that's what's most important and has been the bulk of what I work on on the site nowadays.

I'd rather not create a forum for "downtime," that splinters the site and completely splintered the lolcow community, I don't want to see that happen to PULL. Feel free to chat on discord if the site goes down, but I bought an upgrade for the server space a few months ago so it shouldn't be really going down. 

I'm not sure what else to really say, I'm trying to be as transparent as possible. I'm really, truly sorry I haven't been as available. I do care a lot about this community. I should be more active and able to work on the site and with the community in the coming weeks. 

To be honest. Rhea shouldn't be mod here. 

Posted (edited)

nvm

Edited by nokjae

Posted (edited)

Rhea has been helping massively with coding the back end of the site and making sure the software we're using is still running. Let's not jump to conclusions, there's a lot that's going on behind the scenes that users don't see.

We can't delete user accounts because it would corrupt the board software, and we get multiple requests on a daily basis for us to ban people from the forum because they can't stay away. It adds to our workload, and PULL isn't some kind of drug. If you have some actual criticism, we're always happy to hear it.

If you have any good nominations, let me know! I've gone through the mod applications at this point.  

cue the post where they said “chill the fuck out” while sending a warning to a user. 

If a mod says ever something inappropriate to you, kindly forward it to me. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here. Let's be constructive here and not aggressive, we work hard on this forum. 

Edited by Nyx

Posted (edited)

@Nyx I think we all appreciate the crew's work (including Rhea's), but it doesn't mean that admins and mods are untouchable and shouldn't work on some character issues themselves. During my time here I've witnessed Rhea going overboard with the sarcasm and "tough love", bordering on just being plain rude to the users several times, and others seem to agree with this.

We're not condemning Rhea as a person, I'm sure she does her best to help the site grow, but maybe she's not cut out for personally engaging with the users as a mod. There are several solutions to this problem, even just working on the way she's phrasing things would help, but for that to happen you have to acknowledge that there is a problem. Afterall you're all trying to make this forum and community work and keep the users satisfied, right?

Edited by Rocking Horse Fly

Posted

cue the post where they said “chill the fuck out” while sending a warning to a user. 

This was already addressed - I was mirroring the user's own Fuck-laden post and considered it banter at worst. To reiterate, this was the user's post:

you dumb intellectual fuck

you dumb fucking fuck "intellectual" shit

With my warning message being "Calm the fuck down". If that's too much, then I'm honestly not sure what to say, but I haven't used strong language in warnings since then since clearly it only serves to make an already emotionally charged situation boil over. But sadly, even very friendly, long-winded explanations lead to even longer, more upset discussions. Many users take warnings very, very personally, even if they come with 0 points or just a standardized "Please don't break rule X" message. No matter how warnings are phrased, they're gonna piss someone off. I've been accused of being multiple snowflakes in the past few weeks alone. Many users have a very emotional connection to the drama they discuss and that makes it hard to reign them in. There's a reason almost all mods have left. I'm still here because I have a thick skin and don't take anything here personally, but that means I have a different moderation style and I'm fine with playing the bad cop if necessary. (By the way, this is in no way shade towards ex-mods - there are many reasons to leave and the one I mentioned is only one of them. All mods have worked hard to make PULL a good community and I'm very appreciative of that.)

I'm brusque, and I'm sorry this comes off as rude. (Not in a "I'm sorry you feel offended" way) I send almost all my posts to Nyx before publishing them to ask her if my wording is alright because I don't want to step on too many toes and so far she's always given me the green light.

My positive interactions are written the same way, just with an exclamation mark or two sprinkled in. I don't use emotes or other emotional signifiers. And yes, I'm sarcastic and use tough love, but this is because I hold the users of this community to a high standard. The amount of sleuthing and observation is incredible. We're all adults. Nobody should have to be banned to limit their social media intake. There are so many ways to restrict yourself if that's what you need. For example, there are browser extensions to block specific sites. There's also the option of changing your password without looking. Sure, you could reset your password later, but then again, even if we banned the account, a new one can always be made. The only way to limit access to PULL is if the user does it themselves. In the end, the problem isn't access to the account, it's the user's own lack of impulse control, which is what they admitted willingly. No amount of restriction from our side would help with that, That's what I meant with babysitting - although I should have used another word, maybe coddling? My point is that our users aren't children, they're highly observant especially when it comes to social media and I don't think they need this level of "for your own good" intervention. English isn't my first language and in the stress of dealing with reports, post approvals, DMs, backend issues and so on, sometimes I can have a brainfart moment and for that I'm truly sorry.

On that note, what I do on PULL is a lot more than it looks like - like Nyx said, I take care of the behind the scenes stuff, which includes server maintenance, server upgrades, I blacklist email providers, improve anti-spam measures, but I also approve tons of posts, message users about their new threads so they can be approved, I answer DMs, investigate fake accounts, snowflakes posting undercover, user accounts being compromised, spambots, and other suspicious activities. Being a moderator wasn't my first choice, not that I'm complaining, but unfortunately, the staff situation is more than dire since almost all mods have jumped the ship and the new applications don't seem to have worked out too well. So there's a lot to do, which adds to my responses being curt. I'd be happy to limit myself to the behind the scenes work again, but that would mean leaving PULL with almost zero moderation.