• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Stop eating x or y

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I KNOW that for example, white bread, pastries etc etc is bad yet i can't help but eat it.:alpacadone:

I don't chose what is eaten in the house by the way. And even if i try to eat healthy stuff like salad, i just don't like its texture:alpacadone:

So first of all, how do i self control (i have eating issues) and secondly, how to i force myself to like something i don't really like?:alpacaworry: 

Posted

I like white bread, pastries too but they aren't exactly "bad". What's bad is if you eat them in EXCESS = (calories excess). Cus things like this are considered simple carbs and they break down easily = makes you feel full less easily = you tend to eat them more = calories excess = gain weight. if you like such stuffs, you can choose wholegrain as they are complex carbs where they break down slower. Or eat the white bread, pastries you like but control the amount then fill yourself up with water, tea, coffee or other low calorie food. Healthy food isn't always meh, trust me xD 

Self-control takes time to learn, take it slow if you aren't really motivated. It's okay. And you don't have to force yourself to eat something you don't like. 

Posted

I'm literally so so SO weird about textures. I'm glad someone else is too because my family finds it strange. But I had a terrible diet and I knew that I needed to change it so I'm going to tell you what worked for me!

I would suggest slowly cutting out sodas/fruit juices for water. Fruit juices = high in sugars, not that high in vitamin c. You're better off eating fruit. If you drink 3 sodas a day drop it down to 2. Then a week or two after, 1 soda. Always keep a bottle of water around. Sip even if you dont feel thirsty. Being properly hydrated makes you feel so much better.

Salad was a HUMONGOUS struggle for me. I knew I had to eat salad but a lot of vegetables tasted disgusting or they had that weird watery texture that made my stomach churn. So I experimented to find what I could stomach. For me it was spinach (usually mixed with red chard). Try different options, with different dressings. Remember to use dressings in moderation though. The main thing is when you can find something you can kind of, sort of tolerate- keep eating it. Try masking it in foods you like, like smoothies. Just keep eating it! Repetition is key. Your tastebuds get accustomed to it. Then you'll be more open to other foods.

Distractions are really good too! I have these protein bars I have to eat and they taste so bad because they're low in sugar. But if I'm watching a TV show, or YouTube video I barely realize the taste. You can try this with different foods!

Self control: I used to eat my feelings. Or even eat just to eat. Before you eat think "am I actually hungry or am I just doing this to do it?" If you think you're 100% genuinely hungry, drink a glass of water first and wait 20 minutes. Sometimes we confuse hunger and thirst.

Also try and eat smaller portions. I started eating smaller servings (it takes a while before your body realizes its full) because it's so easy to overeat. After practicing this I eat 1/2 the amount I used to, and I feel full! Also only eat when you're hungry. Dont eat because its "time" or you're expected to. And instead of indulging in sweets every day, keep it to once a week. Your taste buds will thank you, and itll keep you motivated to eat better.

Sorry that was so long. But I gave a lot of tips that I discovered this past year through changing my diet.

Posted

If stopping to eat unhealthy things cold-turkey isn't for you, then don't. Everything in moderation. In fact I personally believe many people benefit more from allowing themselves to eat unhealthy things in moderation than forcing themselves to not eat anything unhealthy and then risking binging on unhealthy foods.

Posted

I would also say find recipes that work for you.  I am a very picky eater and of course what I do like is bad for me.  Ever since I started living on my own I started experimenting with food and I slowly added in veggies (which I hated before) and a lot of healthy stuff that I otherwise did not like before.  I experimented with different tastes and textures until I found things I liked.  

That isn't to say I gave up sugar.  I have tried that before and didn't work. I was feeling like shit.  I have accepted that my body functions well when it has some sugar.  So instead of completely cutting things out I just cut them down.  So now for example, instead of 100g of chocolate I eat only half.  Like people above said, everything in moderation. 

Posted (edited)

It's okay to indulge once in a while. No food is inherent bad. E.g. nuts are generally seen as a "healthy snack" but if you devour a 500g bag in one sitting, that's a bit much. Nuts have high fat content. 

I don't know how your home is like, but I started picking up cooking skills around 11/12 and my parents permitted it. I'd offer to cook something for a meal, often on weekends. That's one way of getting some control of what you eat. I'd prepare my own lunches when I want to and can find the time. 

Learning to portion is another thing. Ask whether you could plate something yourself rather than have mum shovel a whole plate of rice (haha... my mum didn't know what was a proper portion of white rice and would serve me huge portions). It's a lot easier to control what you eat when you live on your own and you purchase your own food, but it's a step if you're still a teen and living at home. When my family did the grocery shop (it was usually dad), I'd go out with him and choose things. It depends on how much liberty your parents will allow.

You don't have to like salads but there's a lot out there. Bean salads, tabouli, fattoush are good for summer time. Nicoise is a heartier salad. Anyways, you can load up vegetables in different ways. E.g. I still cook vegetarian chili (like it's the one dish I find I cook every year since I started pulling out the family's slow cooker when I was 14), or a vegetable lasagna (I'd grate carrot and zucchini, add spinach and my little sister didn't push it away). Buddha bowls are a recent trendy thing that can help you increase your vegetable intake as well but I'm not that keen on it personally. I also really like preparing Korean food because I can make different banchan and have kimchi jjigae. 

I've always found that I was adventurous in trying different cuisines. Not Korean but I went to school with a lot of girls from different cultures and one lunch time, I spotted this Korean girl with purple rice and I was fascinated. She didn't know how her mum made it but I explored the Korean grocer and it comes in these bags with multigrains. My sister hates it but I used to cook a small portion for myself. Actually, I was the only one in the family who liked the different textures of different grains mixed in, so the rest of my family had white rice.

TBH, the hardest thing for me as a teen was changing the way I thought about my own body. I hated gaining weight (I still don't like it) but it took a very long time to accept that my body was changing into a woman's body and naturally my hips would grow and I'd gain weight as I grew. Exploring food was one way that I could find control in my life at that time.

Edited by Tsubaki