• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Blackpink (formerly Jennie Kim thread)

1988 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Are they even attending any of the end of the year award shows? I doubt they’ll win any major awards but they have a chance of winning something if they at least attend. This is just further escalating them fading into obscurity. It’s funny how blinks keep hyping them up as the most successful kpop group when they have nothing to show for it. Sales? Nope. Awards? Nope. All they have to their name is YouTube views and Coachella lmao. 

They were at MMA and I think they're due at Golden Disc? They won't be at MAMA because YG is beefing with them currently.

Edited by aloha
spelling

Posted (edited)

They were at MMA and I think they're due at Golden Disc? They won't be at MAMA because YG is beefing with them currently.

they weren’t at MMA. If you google their schedule, the only thing lined up for them is their Japan tour. No award shows, appearances, nothing 

Edited by lycheekiwi
Grammar

Posted

Watching MMA, the rookies and other groups performances were good. Even Chungha's was great. YG is really bad handling most of his artists. Attending award shows or variety actually makes a difference to an idol's career. He wasted so much talent by just releasing albums and mv. I'm sad for AKMU and Lee hi cause they released good content and are really talented but they are treated like a side project. This company just focuses on looks, he can't expect all blackpink members have the same thing with G-Dragon. His favoritism makes it worse.

YG's year or 2-3 year gap, long time kpop lovers know not to expect so much from them. Maybe summer 2020 comeback. So much new music and artists released this year, YG letting his artists freeze won't able to keep up. There's a reason why a lot of them the company. 

Posted

Apparently BP is rumored to comeback early next year.. do you think they'll do a full album or another single? I hope they do another concept besides the bad bitch look. It's high key getting boring. 

Posted

I’m honestly surprised that Blackpink isn’t performing at MAMA considering Dua Lipa is performing. 

Posted

I‘ve noticed how even tho the general frustration about bp has grown immensely over the last couple of weeks this thread has died down a lot, as there is literally nothing to discuss anymore.... At the moment they do even less than usual, and we know it’s not due to comeback preparations. There’s nothing, they don’t even show up to award shows anymore. 

Agree,also I'm just bored with them as a whole.I can't get myself hyped for their cb either,because I just can't shake the feeling that the "new album" they'e working on will be another DDDD with 4 recycled b-sides and a remix about how rich and cool they are. They don't bring anything new to the table and their lack of fan interaction & personality aren't helping either.Everything about them is so bland and there are so many GG's now that have surpassed them in terms of their concept.

YGE loves to push this "quality over quantity" narrative but we all know it's just a load of horsecrap.Also,with all the things that went down with YGE & BP's controversies this year I just can't get myself to support him/them anymore.What's even the point?They don't lift a finger and take everything for granted,so much that this has even become apparent within their own fandom.Yikes.

Posted

and oooooonceeeee again blackpink goes back being to a boring group no one talks about unless theres a scandal or drama happening 😞 idk how blinks can keep up w/ the hyping up when their faves are as interesting as blank walls.

on separate note: what do you think would be the fate of yg in the future now that they’ve taken most of the blow out of bad scandals this year? is yg still even considered as the big lol

Posted (edited)

and oooooonceeeee again blackpink goes back being to a boring group no one talks about unless theres a scandal or drama happening 😞 idk how blinks can keep up w/ the hyping up when their faves are as interesting as blank walls.

on separate note: what do you think would be the fate of yg in the future now that they’ve taken most of the blow out of bad scandals this year? is yg still even considered as the big lol

as soon as akmu and big bang disband, yg is done forever. they are the only two groups that are somewhat liked in the gp. they're in so much debt that they either have to liquidate their assets to pay it off or file for bankruptcy 

staring to think that blackpink was supposed to be at mma but pulled out last minute considering dua lipa was there and that their sponsor, kia, had blackpink themed ads there. that's such a bad look if that's true. 

Edited by babybear

Posted

I know we talked about this already but, I was listening to Gotta Be You by 2NE1, and it lowkey sounds like...what Aiiyl was supposed to be but Teddy was like, nah. The song structure has fairly similar assets so it's still buzzing my tinfoil hat that aiiyl might have been a scrapped 2NE1 song. 

Also, in regards to that recent angelina video that was posted in the thread, one of her points stuck out with me the most. She brought up how BP clearly has talent considering their debut performance, and I have to say...I can really see where she's coming from with that. Usually rookie groups have less than stellar performances than get better overtime, but with BP it was the reverse, which makes me really question how much autonomy they truly have in YG. I feel like when it comes to stage presence, remembering choreography and lyrics, and professionalism, they should be held accountable because they are adults and they have control over things like that. But then there are some things that go down like their concepts, styling, "personality" markups, etc. that make me sit there and go...are they okay?? I'm not white knighting them, but I feel like the more I look at their situation, the more odd it looks to me. It's no secret that idols are usually manufactured. There are far too many articles and interviews that have come out of passed idols saying what they had to do, how much weight they had to lose, how much of their authentic selves they had to scrub off in variety shows, music shows, general public, things they had to wear that they were uncomfortable with, things they couldn't post on social media, the works. But with BP it's like they're manufactured beyond belief. Do they really have control over their makeup/styling? Are they really posting on instagram as much as they let on? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors from YG. Considering that this will be their first comeback under a new CEO...if they have one in 2020, I don't even really care much for the song, I really wonder what their demeanor is going to be.  

Posted

Agree,also I'm just bored with them as a whole.I can't get myself hyped for their cb either,because I just can't shake the feeling that the "new album" they'e working on will be another DDDD with 4 recycled b-sides and a remix about how rich and cool they are. They don't bring anything new to the table and their lack of fan interaction & personality aren't helping either.Everything about them is so bland and there are so many GG's now that have surpassed them in terms of their concept.

YGE loves to push this "quality over quantity" narrative but we all know it's just a load of horsecrap.Also,with all the things that went down with YGE & BP's controversies this year I just can't get myself to support him/them anymore.What's even the point?They don't lift a finger and take everything for granted,so much that this has even become apparent within their own fandom.Yikes.

I believe that they don't have a full album yet because YG knows that bp and Teddy can't produce a quality album. The girls are average talents on their best day and YG sold them the dream that they're special. I know people go on about Rose's vocals and Lisa's dancing but they wouldn't be the mains for those roles at any other agencies. He's stuck with girls who won't work hard and a producer who is out of ideas.

I know we talked about this already but, I was listening to Gotta Be You by 2NE1, and it lowkey sounds like...what Aiiyl was supposed to be but Teddy was like, nah. The song structure has fairly similar assets so it's still buzzing my tinfoil hat that aiiyl might have been a scrapped 2NE1 song. 

Also, in regards to that recent angelina video that was posted in the thread, one of her points stuck out with me the most. She brought up how BP clearly has talent considering their debut performance, and I have to say...I can really see where she's coming from with that. Usually rookie groups have less than stellar performances than get better overtime, but with BP it was the reverse, which makes me really question how much autonomy they truly have in YG. I feel like when it comes to stage presence, remembering choreography and lyrics, and professionalism, they should be held accountable because they are adults and they have control over things like that. But then there are some things that go down like their concepts, styling, "personality" markups, etc. that make me sit there and go...are they okay?? I'm not white knighting them, but I feel like the more I look at their situation, the more odd it looks to me. It's no secret that idols are usually manufactured. There are far too many articles and interviews that have come out of passed idols saying what they had to do, how much weight they had to lose, how much of their authentic selves they had to scrub off in variety shows, music shows, general public, things they had to wear that they were uncomfortable with, things they couldn't post on social media, the works. But with BP it's like they're manufactured beyond belief. Do they really have control over their makeup/styling? Are they really posting on instagram as much as they let on? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors from YG. Considering that this will be their first comeback under a new CEO...if they have one in 2020, I don't even really care much for the song, I really wonder what their demeanor is going to be.  

I don't think their talent level ever declined. They got lazy. "Whistle" was typical BP. They didn't deliver spectacular vocals or rap. The choreography looks cool but that's only because of camera work and elaborate stages. It didn't seem mediocre at the time because they were rookies. I bet YG gave them general roles (Jennie=pretty rich girl, Rose=pretty indie girl, Lisa=pretty hip hop dancer girl, Jisoo=prettiest pretty girl). They don't know how to develop their personas. SM is notorious for manufacturing detailed personas for its idols but none of their artists come across as fake as bp. YG made things worse with his mediaplay lies that raises everyone's expectations of the girls. I don't think YGE has full control over their Instagrams. Maybe he makes them share their passwords. I think they post a lot because they want to. But I hope YG doesn't let these girls style themselves because the agency should provide those services for their artists. Jennie's hair pin trend wasn't original. It was on runways and in magazines a couple of months before her solo. I think a stylist saw the trend and styled her that way. (I don't think Jennie has the guts to demand anything and I doubt she has the guts to "start" a trend on her own. She comes across as a follower). Jennie wore them and made them popular in Korea. Things should be that way. YG should send stylists to fashion week to keep an eye on what's trendy and dress their artists that way first. YG artists have are usually original and creative on their own. Maybe YG didn't hire more stylists because he thought the girls would figure it out as they go. It's clear that Blackpink needs more guidance and a better team before they can live up to the reputation that YG bought for them.

O/t but it's hilarious to me that YG mediaplayed Blackpink to the point where their stans are completely deluded and loyal to the girls. Maybe he won't push the girls harder because he's scared they will look tired and blinks will trend a hashtag and harass him on instagram

Posted

I'm in the camp of people that think BP really does have potential but don't get to show it and aren't putting forth effort themselves anymore because they're in a chaotic ass company and tbh I can't really blame them for feeling that way if true. Of course it still doesn't help their image or prospects going forward. Are the rumors that YG is returning true? If so I think they'll just continue to tank unless he or whoever stays in charge actually promote the girls properly and gets them out of this rut that they're in but no one (@ fans) will acknowledge. 

Posted

People tend to say Blackpink won't be Blackpink if they don't have that Teddy sound or YG image, but personally I don't believe that. 

To me, these girls are blank slates. Their image when they debuted was mini, "pretty" 2NE1 clones, and now it's YG's little expensive princesses and/or Jennie and friends. But honestly, if any of them care about continuing a music career after YG falls, I don't think it would be hard to replicate an "expensive" vibe at another company. 

Personally, I see Rosé and possibly Jennie continuing a career in music after Blackpink disbands.

- Rosé has a genuine interest in making music, and YG has actively squandered her potential at every opportunity to push his favorites, and it's weird. Some of the biggest names in the industry have publicly expressed wanting to collab with her, she's constantly praised for her body and offered modeling opportunities, and her unique voice is praised by people in the industry despite YG making her sing out of her range. She can dance, she can sing, she's got the looks, and during Western promotions she showed real personality and leader potential (that got her trending). I don't see how she couldn't get an agency to sign her. 

- As for Jennie? She had passion, and it was especially present at debut. It's obvious that being at this agency really is killing something in her. Every time someone asks her what she really wants to do if she gets free time, she always says she wants to disappear from the world for a few days without contacting anyone. It's got this almost creepy undertone when she says it, and it's kind of worrying. However, I feel like Jennie really does have a passion for performing and writing deep down, but YG's got an iron grip on her. Couple that with her attitude scandals, body image issues, and worsening gp opinion, and it's just a very discouraging cocktail of problems. Get her away from YG, with an agency that gives her more freedom and isn't constantly trying to play up her image with BS mediaplay, and I feel like she'd actually thrive. 

As for that "expensive YG image" that these girls can't possibly live without, well... P Nation really seem to be doing it for Jessi, HyunA, and Dawn imo. 

Granted, they're more "authentic" artists than the Blackpink girlies, but as far as production value goes I don't think I've ever seen any of those 3 look that good. I'm putting that down to Psy's money. 

Even without that, YG hasn't really been able to get them a truly expensive video without having them do a million and one advertisements beforehand. Who's to say another company can't do the same? 

Sorry for the tangent. Just something that's been on my mind for a bit, and since the thread's a bit dead, I thought why not bring it up now?