Koreaboos vs Weeaboos

217 posts in this topic

Posted

Okay guys. So my boyfriend is an international Korean student, and we met through a mutual friend named H. So, H is a super koreaboo and always listens to k-pop, obsessing over them.  He edits his photos for instagram and shit to make his skin look super light. (He's a tan asian dude.) Then, he asks my boyfriend to type out Korean words for his captions. He set his Insta, tinychat, League of Legends username as something korea, and he even uses MY BOYFRIENDS NAME  sometimes too. I swear to god he just wants to be Korean so bad. Obviously, at that time, my bf was like wtf because that is super cringy...

Anyways... we don't talk to H anymore because haven't had time, therefore, friendship drifted away (it's been about a year). We see H in uni and HE FUCKING BOUGHT THE SAME backpack my boyfriend has, CUT HIS HAIR IN THE SAME STYLE, BOUGHT SIMILAR OUTFITS. Omfg, my reaction obviously is like wtf really? this kid gonna be like this, and I show my bf because he goes to work. He is mad chill so he just laughs at it, saying he feels bad for people who are not individual. Korean people don't really like koreaboos like this. Still super cringy af... literally similar outfits, same shoes, same hair, same backpack, same sweater, same necklace... I can't even, guys. It's so weird to look at him now, because you just see someone who lost them-self.

Posted (edited)

I've seen a few weeaboos at my former school, but I never have seen koreaboos. Interesting thread with interesting stories. xD

Edited by VirgoLuna

Posted

I have a not so close friend, who is a little bit obsessed with Japan. Dont get me wrong, liking a country and the things it got isn't the problem, but she is just one of these weebs...
She started learning japanese (though I have the feeling she doesnt really know how to write/speak it) , bought a kimono, cosplays and dreams of living and working in japan one day. Of course she loves Asian looking people as well.
She is obsessed with anime and manga and sometimes reads mangas in class or just dreams about some anime boys... 
But thats not everything....No.
Recently she started, and this is not a joke, making "anime girl" or "kawaii" noises...I am not kidding!
When she yawns she does that "nyaaaa" or "nyuu" sound or when she sighs "uwuuaa" constantly. She rubs her face with "paw hands" (if you know what i mean) and overall acts like she is the cutest thing alive (believe me shes not).
Her favorite foods are bento, ramen and everything "kawaii".
She is one of those people you just need a time out from after a while. :D

Posted

I have a not so close friend, who is a little bit obsessed with Japan. Dont get me wrong, liking a country and the things it got isn't the problem, but she is just one of these weebs...
She started learning japanese (though I have the feeling she doesnt really know how to write/speak it) , bought a kimono, cosplays and dreams of living and working in japan one day. Of course she loves Asian looking people as well.
She is obsessed with anime and manga and sometimes reads mangas in class or just dreams about some anime boys... 
But thats not everything....No.
Recently she started, and this is not a joke, making "anime girl" or "kawaii" noises...I am not kidding!
When she yawns she does that "nyaaaa" or "nyuu" sound or when she sighs "uwuuaa" constantly. She rubs her face with "paw hands" (if you know what i mean) and overall acts like she is the cutest thing alive (believe me shes not).

Her favorite foods are bento, ramen and everything "kawaii".
She is one of those people you just need a time out from after a while. :D

Oh my goodness I cringed.

Posted

Koreaboos make me embarrassed to say i like kpop (irl). I dont tell anyone i like it.

apart from my best friend, the only other people ive met who like kpop (except like one girl) have been embarrassing screechy koreaboos who try to cling to me and my friend if they find out we like it, for example:

Recently on a school camp this girl in the year below me kept bothering me when she found out i had heard of one of her favourite groups seventeen (i know of them but im not into them), she kept talking to me about her ships, her oppars and unnies, and even came crying to me when a fanfiction she was reading portrayed her bias as kinda mean. Literally.

for me weebs can range from just annoying to worse than koreaboos, while all koreaboos ive seen are equally annoying af

Posted (edited)

Eh... It's really hard for me to pick lmao. I've met my fair share of both extremes and both are really off-putting to me. But I would have to say the really extreme koreaboos are worse. Extreme weebs tend to not leave the house, and just get off on their 2D waifus/husbandos. Extreme koreaboos that I've met though are just always talking about their oppas (did I spell that right? Haha) and their ships of REAL people. It's one thing to ship fictional characters who don't exist in reality, but shipping real people gives me this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, especially with how many of them fetishize gay relationships, especially if the two people are attractive. Not only that, but insisting that the idols they like HAVE to be a certain sexuality, and throwing fits when someone suggests that, "Hey, maybe that real person isn't gay." Maybe it's just because I feel like it's rude/inconvenient to those real people, since they are a real person with real feelings and emotions. That's not even mentioning the fans who, when they see their favorite idol/group, can get violent in an attempt to see them.

I'm pretty lucky, I feel lmao. I started liking anime when I was 6, so when I went through my weeb phase, I was a 6-7 year old doing things I thought were "cute," which was making those anime noises and shit. But that's easily laughed off, since a kid that age is expected to do weird shit. Luckily I toned down after that point, with some left over behaviours lasting until I was around 10-11, and then after that I went into full "hide my power levels." Most people don't even realize I like anime until they come over my apartment (or in the past bedroom/dorm room) and see that I have figures. 

Now... Going away from "normal daily interactions and people you can meet." Meeting the extreme weebs at cons where they might venture out can be equally as cringe as extreme koreaboos. Since they might see someone cosplaying their waifu and start asking them really gross questions or asking to hug them (which can lead to some groping.) I cosplay, and I've had a few of these experiences, luckily I'm always with a friend so I only ALMOST got groped twice since my friend sees it coming and tells them to fuck off, lmao. Mostly people asking hyper sexualized questions, asking you to speak like the character, or them following you around the con. I would have to say the worst was this guy who, while he seemed nice at first and I said that if he saw me the next day we could talk some more... Took it to a new extreme. He wanted me to pull away from my friends, introduce me to his friends, kept grabbing my arm and saying that I had to stick with him... He even yelled at me because I said I wanted to hang out with my friends. But I only see these kinds of things at conventions... While with koreaboos, I've met quite a few extremists in my daily life. 

Most of the stuff I base my opinions around are from real life interactions though, since I haven't really touched tumblr/similar sites since I was like 14. So... In regards to people you'll actually meet off the internet... Koreaboos are worse.

Edited by FattyChan
I put "weeb" where I meant to put "koreaboo" oops

Posted (edited)

Edited by jia-ruey

Posted

Normies and fake korea/weeaboos who wants to be seen as ''lil weebs'' and ''otakus'' bother me more than koreaboos shipping idols, and weebs being dorky

Posted

Before I knew Koreaboos actually existed I thought that weeaboos were a lot worse. However, when I started dating my boyfriend (who is Korean) I noticed that a lot of girls harass him because he's Korean (some girls mistake him for Japanese too) and because he "looks like an anime character".

I'm not really into K-Pop besides Korean cosmetics and I do enjoy JRPGs and sometimes anime. I also find myself interested in Japanese culture. I don't consider myself a weeb, but I guess since I've now been exposed to both Koreaboos and weeaboos I can say that they are both equally awful and they aren't really that different from each other.

Posted (edited)

Just a comment about the girl in the photo above (calmdostitties) <--- ???

Yes it does matter if Hi-Chew is gum or not. What is wrong with being educated? Was the Korean girl flipping out because you didn't know? I've been interested in Korean culture since I was 15. I'm in my late 20s now. What distinguished me from a Koreaboo? I listened to my Korean friends when they spoke about THEIR culture. Hi-Chew isn't gum that's a fact. So why not say "Oh, wow I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know. Now I know something new about Korean culture." It's a two way street. You can then teach your Korean friends about things that are fact in the U.S (or whatever you're from) as well and voila that's called friendship and actually learning about cultures other than your own. But this girl doesn't really care about Korean culture, does she?

Oh and this one would freak this girl out. Hi-Chew isn't a Korean brand; it's Japanese. What they sell in Korea is a similar (well, basically the same) product called "My-Chew" (마이쮸)

Before I knew Koreaboos actually existed I thought that weeaboos were a lot worse. However, when I started dating my boyfriend (who is Korean) I noticed that a lot of girls harass him because he's Korean (some girls mistake him for Japanese too) and because he "looks like an anime character".

I'm not really into K-Pop besides Korean cosmetics and I do enjoy JRPGs and sometimes anime. I also find myself interested in Japanese culture. I don't consider myself a weeb, but I guess since I've now been exposed to both Koreaboos and weeaboos I can say that they are both equally awful and they aren't really that different from each other.

Honestly people take the whole Koreaboo/Weaboo thing quite far these days and it's exhausting having to prove yourself if you have a genuine interest but when a Koreaboo is spotted it can be scary. Honestly I met only one. I went to university in Korea and one of my Korean-language classmates was a major Koreaboo ... or at least she appeared to be. At the time I don't believe the term Koreaboo was used yet. But she was 17 at the time so IDK when you're that young I don't like to judge too much. Teenagers are "unique". I'm old now; as in late 20s, haha. I'm married to a Korean man and I'm just glad that he's probably aged out of any Koreaboo's oogling over him just because he's Korean. Do these girls who harass your b/f do so IRL or online? That must be annoying.

Edited by momentomori

Posted

Speaking of girls getting creepy over Korean boys, my ex is Korean and whenever he posted selfies on instagram he'd get 100+ comments of "oppa i love u so much saranghae :33" and "omg ur gf is so lucky coz ur korean", and other extreme girls blatantly ignoring that he had a girlfriend and always trying to flirt with him because he looked like their ~kpop oppas~.

It's disgusting.

Posted

I think the main difference between koreaboos and weeaboos is that the female koreaboos and  male weeaboos are the problem.  While male koreaboos aren't really a problem (the few that exist) and female weeaboos are more an annoyance at most but otherwise harmless. 

Posted

Koreaboos. They're shipping real life people and putting them in sexual situations... It's terrifying and just gross. I love k-pop and openly admit it, but there's no point in obsessing over people that I don't know outside of their music.

Posted

Koreaboos for me, but probably because I'm Korean, and I think it's gross when non-Korean girls/guys only want to date a Korean because they're so into kpop.