• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are Lash Extensions Really Worth It?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

A lot of my coworkers have been getting lashes done and some of them look good and some look meh. They either go to a professional salon or have friends who are training to do their lash extensions for them. 

I'm not really sure if I'd be saving actual money though or if they're more convenient than just mascara or falsies. The most high rated salon near me specializing in lashes costs $130 for a classic/natural set and I understand you have to go back at least every 3 weeks? And I know already you can't rub your eyes, not wear too much eye makeup, (and also my friend said not to sleep on ur stomach bc you could ruin the lashes).

If anyone has experience doing or getting lash extensions any info or opinions is greatly appreciated thank you! ūüíó

Posted

From my experience, they look good if the professional does a good job and you take proper care of them. Keep in mind that you have to brush them daily and stay away from mascara and any oil-based and wax-based products - meaning some eyeliners and cream shadows. Also, no rubbing or any other physical damage to the extensions. And if you get an eye infection(like a stye or conjunctivitis), you'll have to say goodbye to the extensions for a while.

The downside: it has a pretty bad effect on your natural lashes, they fall out in chunks for some time (during which you can't get extensions!!! so the look isn't great), though I know some people can go for half a year getting regular extensions and won't get this problem until later but it really depends on the strength of your natural lashes. Also, if you have allergies, be very careful because the glue can cause allergy. And some glues contain formaldehyde, which is a hazardous compound with toxic vapor said to be carcinogenic (might cause cancer).

Personally, I was happy with the result, for the first 1,5 months they looked great, the only thing that bugged me was that I couldn't use my cleansing oil. But after the 3rd refill, they just started falling out a lot, along with my natural lashes, and the next month I was practically without lashes. So I decided not to do them again.

Posted

I didn't have a good experience with them either. It is nice to always have nice and dark eyelashes without makeup on, but i guess I went to a bad place because the first time I got them they hurt and were just uncomfortable, the second time they didn't hurt but (like the first time too) the glue of multiple eyelashes got stuck together and they just looked bad in general. 

I got quite annoyed with them after just a week and tried to take them off, breaking the glue etc. The extensions ripped out my own eyelashes too.

I decided to not do them again. It's just too annoying, you can't touch/rub your eyes, you have to be careful when cleaning them etc and they fall out after just 3 weeks.

If you get them done in a professional place you might have a better experience but it will be costly.

I feel like trying them out once is a good way to go, if you don't like them just let them fall out :)

Posted

I used to really want them until I saw so many personal stories about how annoying they are and the upkeep is so damn expensive (if you go to a reputable place anyway). People have suggested lash lifts/tints instead. I might just get a lash lift since my lashes are already dark and long, but they are super straight and point downwards. 

Posted (edited)

I used to really want them until I saw so many personal stories about how annoying they are and the upkeep is so damn expensive (if you go to a reputable place anyway). People have suggested lash lifts/tints instead. I might just get a lash lift since my lashes are already dark and long, but they are super straight and point downwards. 

I would recommend trying Revitalash, I had the same problem, but something in the serum has caused my lashes to curl upwards like crazy! (It takes about 2 weeks to 1 month to see the results, but it's worth it)

Edited by 2ndCat

Posted (edited)

I would recommend trying Revitalash, I had the same problem, but something in the serum has caused my lashes to curl upwards like crazy! (It takes about 2 weeks to 1 month to see the results, but it's worth it)

Oh ok good to know! Edit: I just looked into it, did you notice any side effects? The reviews sound amazing but I'm nervous about using a serum on my lashes lol.

Edited by Astralworm
had a new question

Posted

Oh ok good to know! Edit: I just looked into it, did you notice any side effects? The reviews sound amazing but I'm nervous about using a serum on my lashes lol.

I had a kind of lilac "eyeliner" for the first two days, but it didn't hurt or anything! A few of my friends use it as well, as long as you don't directly put it in your eyes, you should be fine!

Posted

Are lash lifts also called lash perms? Like they just push up ur lashes like a eyelash curler would?

Posted

I am aware of places that do temporary lash extensions that last for a couple of weeks, and are alot cheaper and look natural and really pretty !! my mom gets them occasionally, and she seems to really enjoy them? I had no idea they could even cost so much??

Posted

It‚Äôs so worth it if you have short Asian lashes like me!! ūüė£ my lashes with extensions literally look like my husbands natural ones lol (so unfair....)¬†

Posted

I don't  have them but two years ago a classmate got them and they looked good (but rather fake). The problem was that after week three she looked like (my teacher''s words) a rat, because a few lashes fell out, while other areas looked full and it looked really weird. After 5 months she stopped doing it, because she had to be careful with them the whole time and getting them done once a month is a struggle for her. I don't think it's worth the money, only if you have really none existing lashes, then would I do it

Posted

Better buy fake lashes - much more worth it.

Posted

have you considered a lash lift? like a perm? dislaimer: it didn't really work on my dead straight asian lashes, but i've seen other people have really great results, so it might be worth looking into. nothing added to your lashline, it just makes them curl upwards so they look fuller and thicker. and even in my experience there was no damage to my lashes, no awkward in-between or growing out. though for me, the tech had to do it twice because it didn't take the first time, and then they were slightly curled for a couple days after before going back to normal. so... it might not work for everyone.

Posted

Sue Ramirez or suenoodles in IG once talked about her lash extensions where  she mentioned that she got depressed Bc she used to have a naturally long lashes but bc of extension her natural lashes fall off and had few remained. She said she pull off all the remaining once bc she got very anxious. 

Posted

i like getting them done when i have events coming up or if im on vacation. so far ive had good experienced but since i sleep on my side, i notice that one eye gets more lashes falling out than the other eye which is my fault tho.

once my extensions start to fall out, i just put on non-waterproof mascara so everything blends in a little better.