• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Unpopular Opinions (Art Edition)

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I don't know if there's a discussion like this anywhere else but feel free to drop any unpopular opinions here.

I don't know if this is one but: having a nice art style/good art does not excuse the rubbish attitude/behaviour of an artist, even if they have a large following.

What are your unpopular opinions?

Edited by Togekiss
Forgot to add the question.

Posted

Colouring bodyparts like elbows or knees with a slightly reddish/pinkish tone doesn't make it look good but rather somehow makes it appear sexual.

Posted (edited)

thank you for this thread!

stylized art >>> hyper realism 

everyone can learn do hyper realistic art, given enough patience and time. stylizing things is way harder. (in addition to that, i hate the overly rendered style where everything seems like it's made of plastic...which is what 90% of more popular social media artists, especially fanartists do...ew)

also, I can't stand Ilya Kuvshinov (or however you spell that). homeboy mixed Persona style with over the top rendering and keeps drawing cute girls and somehow people lose their shit over it. yawn, next. 

Edited by vader_chan

Posted (edited)

``

Edited by touru
``

Posted (edited)

-Andy Warhol is the Jeremy Scott of painters

- Performance art isn't art its just attention seeking

-Marina Abramovic's art is disgusting, repulsive and garbage What a narcissistic creepy woman. I wouldn't let my children be in the same room as her. She has some screws loose.

Edited by Sugarbeets

Posted

-Marina Abramovic's art is disgusting, repulsive and garbage What a narcissistic creepy woman. I wouldn't let my children be in the same room as her. She has some screws loose.

she's so boring. and i read a lot of articles of her being horrible to her employees and whatnot. i don't get the hype honestly.

Posted

If you're really good at sketching then I consider you a good artist, line art isn't for everyone and people need to remember that!!! 

Posted

Mona Lisa only got famous for someones failed attempt at stealing it..

Posted (edited)

I follow a lot of independent comic artists and one thing that bothers me is inconsistency in updating their comics. I understand why it happens, and for the most part they have very valid reasons for taking long breaks. Only a few of them have a consistent schedule and usually they're the ones with the most success. I just really wanna see y'all thrive and do your best. I'd pay for Patreon to support if half the artists I follow were at least consistent with their work.

Edited by aruku_around

Posted

There is actually some really cool thought provoking abstract art.

Posted

I don't get the hype around Banksy.. just visually looking at his artwork it's zzz 

Posted (edited)

Artists who steal/trace over others work yet still have fame in the art world/ thousands of followers on sms confuse me.  

- Performance art isn't art its just attention seeking

how is dancing/singing/playing instruments attention seeking? 

Edited by babybear

Posted

Artists who steal/trace over others work yet still have fame in the art world/ thousands of followers on sms confuse me.  

how is dancing/singing/playing instruments attention seeking? 

i mean the types of folks who act extra in public to make a "statement"

Posted

- This is old milk but when the whole Kun0/NekoTV drama happened, I thought Kun0 must be really cocky thinking he's so great when his art is some basic anime style and lowkey uncanny valley looking. 

- I'm pretty most of those soft pastel semi-realism artists on IG just paint over people's selfies. It becomes really obvious when the face is very detailed but the hair is painted on sloppily.

Posted

I absolutely despise those dance studio/professionals accounts i see on Instagram which usually do covers to some obnoxiously loud edm music and just throw their arms and legs around as fast as they can till they dislocate a bone. I am also quite perplexed on how lots of them manage to obtain a huge following when most of times their choreographies are repetitive and predictable.