• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

downvoting

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I know it's super late to ask, but what is the exact use of downvoting? 

I've seen people use it when they disagree, others when it was offensive, and sometimes simply because it had a negative rep.

I'd like to have a discussion about the correct usage of downvoting.

:alpacaworry2:

Posted

Downvoting helps me to know whether it's worth posting in a section or not. Generally I don't mind my post being down voted if it's because people genuinely disagree with me. However there are some sections of the forum where you post and get downvoted for very little reason, like in the Simply Kenna section.. 

Posted

I guess it was supposed to be as a disagreement, but sometimes people downvote as a "dislike" button, or as a punishment, or even for retaliation (cases about one user downvoting all posts from other user).

But, as I stated before in another thread, sometimes it turns into a herd effect; imo the minus numbered score seems to "pollute" your post and induce other users to disagree/dislike it before even reading it properly.

Posted

So...it's not defined? In your opinion, what is the best use for it?

I tend to use it when a person used a fallacy and/or directly attacked someone else (and is wking)

Posted

i personally use it when i  highly disagree or when someone is attacking others for trivial matters or giving off wk-ing vibes by attacking others if that makes sense. I believe the general rule is to use it when you disagree with someone? but after you read what they said. Alot of users just keep a specific user in mind and downvote them without even reading what they had to say. I dont really care about points as i keep reminding myself that it is internet points 

Posted

i personally use it when i  highly disagree or when someone is attacking others for trivial matters or giving off wk-ing vibes by attacking others if that makes sense. I believe the general rule is to use it when you disagree with someone? but after you read what they said. Alot of users just keep a specific user in mind and downvote them without even reading what they had to say. I dont really care about points as i keep reminding myself that it is internet points 

If a user is being continuously downvoted by the same user whenever they post they should report that person for downvote manipulation. If it's just a downvote now and again, then it should be ignored but if it's almost every post they make then that is vote manipulation. 

I know it's super late to ask, but what is the exact use of downvoting? 

I've seen people use it when they disagree, others when it was offensive, and sometimes simply because it had a negative rep.

I'd like to have a discussion about the correct usage of downvoting.

:alpacaworry2:

The PULL rules mainly just say don't downvote people because you dislike them. Don't use it to troll users by artificially making posts look bad.

As for the rest it's up for interpretation. My opinion is don't downvote just because you just disagree.

I think downvote should be used because the user is behaving badly. For example, borderline WKing, derailment, rude to other users, can't handle disagreement, clogging up threads with giant posts and not putting that in spoilers, derogatory language against groups, heavy nitpicking, or to correct the vote manipulation of an abusive user or a troll ect.

That's how I tend to look at it. 
:alpacaheadshake:

Posted

I generally avoid downvoting, because I don't think it matters whether I agree with them or not. The only time I downvote is if they are a WK or they say something totally ignorant or unfounded. I don't think you should downvote someone for simply having a different opinion than you on something. We all come from different backgrounds, so I think it's wrong to "punish" someone or tell them off for having an opinion that is different from your own. 

The mods are really good though - I have had downvote manipulation before and the mods are always really quick to ban people.