• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Language Learning

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Idk if I’m doing this right lol but I thought this would be a good idea for a thread. 

Learning languages isn’t easy and I noticed a lot of PULL users speak multiple languages. Do any of you have any advice for those who want to learn a new language? What languages have you learned and how did you learn them? Any tips?

personally I’d like to learn japanese and I noticed a lot of PULL users speak japanese so I was wondering how some of you went about it lol. Hopefully this can help people with other languages 

Posted

Personally I dont speak japanese and english is my second language. I mostly used duolingo to learn words in english and then I tried to use these words as much as possible. What also helps is consuming the media in the chosen language and trying to understand it as much and then looking up things you dont know. 

Posted

I agree, Duolingo is a good app. The Japanese lessons are good for learning hiragana.

Posted

Hey everyone i have a question ,did you learn language in particular classes or in a institute with a group of people? i'm currently going to an institute and i'm thinking in start with a professor particular bc i would learn better like that ,i feel uncomfortable being around with other people 

Posted

Hey everyone i have a question ,did you learn language in particular classes or in a institute with a group of people? i'm currently going to an institute and i'm thinking in start with a professor particular bc i would learn better like that ,i feel uncomfortable being around with other people 

I've never had classes with just a professor because I can't afford that, I'm currently having them in an institute! It's a small class, just 9 people. To me it's fine because I can keep up with it, I just dislike that I have to practice with them, but it's manageable. But I have noticed that one of my classmates really can't keep and would greatly benefit from one-on-one classes. He just has trouble understanding language things I guess? Even after the teacher just explains it.

May I ask, why do you feel uncomfortable? Because if it's from interacting with them, I would still say to keep going to the institute, I noticed I progress much faster if I force myself to talk to them and discuss things. But if you really can't do it then particular classes should be great! Having a plan adapted to to learn and going at your own pace is much better in my opinion.

Posted

I've never had classes with just a professor because I can't afford that, I'm currently having them in an institute! It's a small class, just 9 people. To me it's fine because I can keep up with it, I just dislike that I have to practice with them, but it's manageable. But I have noticed that one of my classmates really can't keep and would greatly benefit from one-on-one classes. He just has trouble understanding language things I guess? Even after the teacher just explains it.

May I ask, why do you feel uncomfortable? Because if it's from interacting with them, I would still say to keep going to the institute, I noticed I progress much faster if I force myself to talk to them and discuss things. But if you really can't do it then particular classes should be great! Having a plan adapted to to learn and going at your own pace is much better in my opinion.

I don't get well with my classmates and whenever i try to talk they talk on top of me plus i have anxiety issues ,people in general makes me nervous that's why i think i will go better with a particular professor 

Posted

I don't get well with my classmates and whenever i try to talk they talk on top of me plus i have anxiety issues ,people in general makes me nervous that's why i think i will go better with a particular professor 

Ah, I understand. I've been in a similar situation and ended up dropping that class. Then yeah I really recommend you go to a private class if you have that possibility!

Posted (edited)

I learned Japanese mostly on my own(by that I mean, no classes, no irl japanese interaction and no japan trips) I´m a intermediate level.

I listened to a lot of Jpop and Jrock, watched J horror, drama´s, movies. anything to get immersed with the language. Subtitles are the key in the beginner stages.

I also used lang 8, no idea if its still around but I´m sure if it is not, theres an equivalent around of it. you write an entry(like a diary) in the language you are learning and native speakers correct you. it helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I recommend this to anyone learning any language on their own. I´d say its a lot more effective than just remembering grammar rules. A combination of the two is the best. 

for learning Japanese vocabulary,  I´d recommend studying all the JLPT vocabulary(you can download the pdf files for free online) even if you do not plan on ever taking the JLPT. If you learn all words from jlpt 5 to 1, you´ll be at an upper advanced level and able to understand almost anything as it is filled with the most common words.

a few years ago I felt myself really lacking in vocabulary. so I scrabbled through the jlpt 5 to 3 vocab. I learned about 300 new words and it made a major difference since a lot of common daily words are on the JLPT list. 

I can say find Japanese friends online, but it honestly never worked for me(though it may work for you idc). I usually ended up helping them with their english or we´d exchange 1 to 3 japanese messages back and forth and then call it quits.

when you finally reached the lower intermediate level, try doing the things you love in Japanese. you like cooking? look for recipes in Japanese. Are you into crafting? again, find it in Japanese! if you are into vlogging, watch Japanese vloggers, Sekine Risa, Mikipon, Kumamiki. Pretty much any of your interests, try doing it in Japanese. 

Edited by Kiko

Posted

Lingodeer is wayyyy better for Asian languages than Duolingo. I'm using it for Korean now and it's excellent. 

Posted

There's a beta version out now for Lingodeer if you're interested in learning anything via desktop.

I hope it develops better as time passes.

https://beta.lingodeer.com

Posted

I plan to use a combination of Lingodeer and Drops for Japanese. Duolingo helps with actually speaking but it doesn't really get into the writing so far where Drops gets into the writing *right* away, emphasizing stroke order which is super important for Japanese. I've also started with Korean. I wish more writing systems were like Korean. You can learn how to read Korean in like. An afternoon if you're sharp and diligent. A week if you want to take your time. It's super simple.

Anyone have experience with Human Japanese? The demo for it seems really promising but is the whole program quality?

Posted (edited)

I speak 3 languages (German, English, Dutch), am learning 1 actively (Italian) and used to learn 2 (Finnish, French) 

German and English as a native, Dutch (B2) I learned within 3 months with some books and Duolingo, since it's pretty related to German. Italian I learn with busuu. (not an ad lol, just recommendation)

My experience with busuu:

I was first skeptical about busuu, because it cost a bit and they say you learn 1 semester in 22 hours of learning (total). I then contacted a girl who claimed she learned B2 French in 60 days (she didn't speak any before) and now works in France without any language problem. She sold me and I tried it out.

Busuu has the option to make a learning plan, which calculates when you reach A1, A2, B1 or B2, which I absolutely love since I am a lazy piece of s*it that needs to have numbers in my head to stay motivated. Within 2 weeks I reached A2.  Amazing grammar tips, a community that helps with your exercises, lots of features and so on.
I tested the premium version for 1 week, then I bought it for 32€ for 12 months (which is really okay for the service they provide, other language courses cost a lot more, like Babbel, plus there are daily deals). The customer service is also amazing. 

It also offers Japanese, which I haven't tried yet.

My tip is, choose one of the online providers, so you can always learn on the go with your smartphone. Next step is the immersion. Check out online podcasts like LanguagePod101, listen to it, listen to TV shows with subs etc. LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN. It's really important. Turn your phone into the target language or read articles in your target language, write down the words you don't know.

Reverso is also a provider that helps you understand sentences in context, which is really useful for sayings or proverbs.

Source: 5 years of learning online

Duolingo 4/5:

+ It's free and has a really great range of language and keeps improving.

+ It has a nice leaderboard and streak system that keeps you motivated.

+ Many, many topics

- The system is really random, Numbers for example are only to 100. 

Good for people who want to have a simple start in the language, want to get back into a language etc.

Busuu 5/5:

+ Language learning plan for up to B2

+ Your exercises are corrected by the community, including explanations.

+ Very beautiful interface, many topics you can choose from (also Work, Pregnancy, Holidays, Travelling etc.)

+ A LOT of grammar explanations

- It costs a bit of money (around 35€ per year)

- Not many languages (only 12)

Good for people who have a goal in their mind, who want to learn a language actively and like a scedule.

LanguagePod101 4/5:

+ A LOT of languages

+ A lot of free resources, PDF's, their Youtube channel is amazing (check it out!)

- The website is really crowded and hard to navigate

- Some features cost a bit

Good for learning with PDF's and audio immersion.

Babbel 3/5:

+ Most famous website next to Duolingo

+ Many business features

- It costs a lot, probably one of the most

- Sometimes the topics are really random and not complete

Good for businesses.

Mondly 4/5:

+ It has many languages you can choose from

+ Nice interface, really beautifully designed.

- It costs quite a bit (+35€ per year)

- Not many topics (you probably would only reach A2, maximum B1 with this one)

Good for people who want to start learning a more uncommon language.

Edited by someneko

Posted (edited)

Seems like a lot of apps get all the votes. I stick to textbooks for my language learning and I vaguely stick to the jlpt syllabus so I know what I’m learning is relevant that kind of thing. 

Grammar wise, tae Kim and the genki books are great. Vocab I just make my own flash cards based off the jlpt. Listening I watch anime, terra house, YouTubers like yuta though this aspect definitely is the hardest when living outside japan. Speaking I just listen and learn new jpop songs when I sing along or whatever it helps with pronounciation. I can honestly say  my one month living in japan helped more in my language pursuits than any other method xD

Edited by gilgamesh

Posted

The easiest way to learn a language is at a young age, but as we get older, it gets harder but not impossible. In my mind, whenever I speak English and French, I translate the word into my more comfortable language, which is English. Having consistent practice and conversations is what establishes muscle memory for this new language.

Posted

i've tried duolingo several times, for german and japanese and it's very good for learning vocabulary but it seems like they expect you to figure out the grammar and everything else on your own lol

as people above mentioned, the best way to learn is immersion. listen to music, watch movies, change your phone to your target language if you can deal with it lol. and constantly learn new vocabulary !! those two can get you very far, they make learning the grammar easier too 

for me it was very helpful to get a tutor bc they are there to help you and push you in the right direction, especially with a language like japanese