• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Nitpicking Thread

1023 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

She should be jumping at the chance to learn those kanji people are telling her to use. They are telling her which hiragana they replace, and she knows the context to use it in. Part of studying and taking it seriously is learning some content on your own. That is called independent learning and she should be super appreciative that she has followers who are willing to help with her language skills. 

Edited by Cyrillic

Posted

IMG_7722.thumb.PNG.1dfad90eb90af2053934d

*heavy sigh* You can call this shaming if you want I can't stop you from thinking that. But for someone who's studying Japanese in Japan I think this is sad. Idk what rate her class is moving at but if you are living in the country and are supposedly passionate about the culture I'd expect a little more?? Like even if your class is moving at snail speed why not learn the kanji that go with your vocab words on your own? The Jisho app is free and super convenient. 家 is one of the first kanji you learn no? I'm all for learning languages and respecting the process of being a beginner but I'd be lying to myself to think Kenna is dedicated. 

(Plus plenty of people included hiragana along with kanji)  

from the story you'd assume there were loads of people correcting her with various complex kanji but there were maybe two or three people using kanji like 家 and 楽 

fair enough people learn at different speed but when she's living in japan I can't understand how she's not at least familiar with these lol

Posted

She should be jumping at the chance to learn those kanji people are telling her to use. They are telling her which hiragana they replace, and she knows the context to use it in. Part of studying and taking it seriously is learning some content on your own. That is called independent learning and she should be super appreciative that she has followers who are willing to help with her language skills. 

Exactly. They weren't difficult at all and people were literally feeding her free and helpful information. The layers to her entitlement + laziness never fail to surprise me.

Posted

The fact that we’re almost to April, and she only knows 10 kanji and expects to be fluent by next year for that entertainment visa absolutely dumbfounds me. Does she think it’ll just all click into place between now and then? Does she think it’s some magical trick? It takes a lot more effort than she thinks it does.

i was in japan for 2 months and wasn’t even learning kanji and still picked up on more than 10 characters just from living there.

maybe this is too nit picky but it just seems like she is completely overestimating herself.

Posted

The fact that we’re almost to April, and she only knows 10 kanji and expects to be fluent by next year for that entertainment visa absolutely dumbfounds me. Does she think it’ll just all click into place between now and then? Does she think it’s some magical trick? It takes a lot more effort than she thinks it does.

i was in japan for 2 months and wasn’t even learning kanji and still picked up on more than 10 characters just from living there.

maybe this is too nit picky but it just seems like she is completely overestimating herself.

Nope. Honestly, this is a bit weird. I don't know how she studies, but I have a feeling she procrastinates A LOT. This is probably why she won't do any "study with me!/language school in japan!" type video. 

I don't know what her hours are, but let's say she has 3hours class each day, so five class a semester. That means you have your morning/afternoon that is free.... You *need* to allocate at least 30 minutes to an hour to studying. Heck! She even download duolingo and do a 10 minute session before bed to memorize it even more. She still has time in her day to watch an episode or two of anime.

Also, WTF was she doing when she lived in the states? She had *so* much free time to pick up a couple of kanji books and learn. :rageplz::rageplz:

I'm sorry y'all. This frustrates me so much. It's my dream to speak japanese, I sure as hell can't afford a lavish one year away to learn japanese just for fun like Kentucky is doing.

Posted

i know shes making a lot of typos but i cant help but laugh at the "gome ne" lol

honestly, no matter how many stories she makes boasting about her tests and no matter how many random romaji words she throws in the middle of her english sentences, kenna has already implied that she barely gives any fucks about actually learning japanese. she just enrolled in the school so she could extend her "vacation" lol.

tbh i dont care if she wants to fuck around and i dont really mind if shes learning japanese at the slowest pace possible. in the end, the only person its hindering financially is her and in the future, she'll basically be fucked if she wants to stay long term and work any real job other than whatever entertainment bullshit she thinks she'll land (shes as boring as fucking cardboard lol)

Posted

Am i the only one that thinks she wouldn't be going to all these places if her griend wasn't with her?

Posted

Am i the only one that thinks she wouldn't be going to all these places if her griend wasn't with her?

I agree . It makes me think that she was never going anywhere before by herself. She posts a billion photos when she's out with a friend but doesn't post a single photo of the temples and places she supposedly visits all the time alone? 

I know I know- I'm subscribing to the stupid"pics or it didn't happen" social media world. But she posts so many photos when she actually goes places so it makes it hard to believe that she actually site sees by herself like she said. I'm probably being extra nitpicky because she could just be enjoying time alone and being safe by not being glued to your phone while alone but seeing as she posts so much only when she's with friends makes me think that she only does things with others and doesn't want to be alone with herself .

Posted

Wow I wish I could spend heaps of money living in Tokyo for a year to learn, like, 5 phrases 

and only eat American food, like pancakes and Starbucks. 

(I couldn’t help myself)

Idk why my dad can be so wise but he once told me “you can pick up the book and learn it yourself, you don’t have to wait for the teacher to go over the whole book. Only you can decide if you want to learn.”

Posted (edited)

*heavy sigh* You can call this shaming if you want I can't stop you from thinking that. But for someone who's studying Japanese in Japan I think this is sad. Idk what rate her class is moving at but if you are living in the country and are supposedly passionate about the culture I'd expect a little more?? Like even if your class is moving at snail speed why not learn the kanji that go with your vocab words on your own? The Jisho app is free and super convenient. 家 is one of the first kanji you learn no? I'm all for learning languages and respecting the process of being a beginner but I'd be lying to myself to think Kenna is dedicated. 

(Plus plenty of people included hiragana along with kanji)  

nvm

Edited by melancholy_thoughts
i was wrong

Posted

To an extent i agree, but i studied japanese for THREE years and we didnt even get into Kanji until the third year. Theres so much MORE to learn before kanji, so it makes complete sense why she doesnt know it yet. You need to know the basics first. Not a fan of telling someone else how to learn languages when the curriculum isnt even set out by her. This just feels dumb.

I'm only halfway through my second year of learning Japanese, and yet I've already learned about 700 kanjis ? Don't know how it works in different courses/uni/schools I guess, but in mine, we've started kanji as soon as we went through hiragana and katana (which took us 2 weeks). 

Okay, there is more in a language than its writing system but... kanji are really useful, especially when you live in Japan and when you're trying to communicate. Not a lot of people will write full sentences with only hiragana and katakana. 

Posted

I'm only halfway through my second year of learning Japanese, and yet I've already learned about 700 kanjis ? Don't know how it works in different courses/uni/schools I guess, but in mine, we've started kanji as soon as we went through hiragana and katana (which took us 2 weeks). 

Okay, there is more in a language than its writing system but... kanji are really useful, especially when you live in Japan and when you're trying to communicate. Not a lot of people will write full sentences with only hiragana and katakana. 

oh wow, man my classes mustve sucked lol! Yes i agree kanji is really useful, especially since shes in such an immersive society. I'll take down my earlier post, i can see i was wrong. 

Posted

Isn't Kenna's class geared to be a slower course?  

Posted

oh wow, man my classes mustve sucked lol! Yes i agree kanji is really useful, especially since shes in such an immersive society. I'll take down my earlier post, i can see i was wrong. 

I’m not saying that you’re wrong haha don’t worry I mean like I said each classe/uni/school has their own pace I guess but it just bugs me a little to know that you can spend 3 years learning japanese without kanji haha, especially when I had to get through them real fast :alpacadone:.

To go back on kenna’s topic; yeah i’m pretty sure she’s following a slow course, but I don’t know for some reason I expected them (by them I mean kenna and her classmates) to learn some kanji as well as they are basically just learning the language - like there is no other classes, it’s just japanese all time. Hope i’m making sense. 

Anyway, just find it kind of sad but hey, I guess if she’s willing to pay for this then it’s fine.