• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE

27 posts in this topic

Posted

can we get a sub forum for instagrams that look like "kenna copiers"
the nitpick thread has already delved into an entire page of these so it would be helpful for a separate forum

Posted

The new concept is surely working out fine :doge:

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but the "you wanted a solution, we gave you one" thing is not very helpful when you don't take what people actually requested into consideration.

Everyone's still talking about outfit choices and starbucks orders in the main thread, then people just repost the same comment in other threads just in case - when they're not arguing with eachother, that is.

Posted (edited)

The new concept is surely working out fine :doge:

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but the "you wanted a solution, we gave you one" thing is not very helpful when you don't take what people actually requested into consideration.

Everyone's still talking about outfit choices and starbucks orders in the main thread, then people just repost the same comment in other threads just in case - when they're not arguing with eachother, that is.

Not to be rude... but it's been two days. You can't expect things to be changed and smoothed out in two days.

Have you reported the posts you think are improperly placed? If not, you're just waiting for it to crash and burn for an 'I told you so' moment. 

Honestly, in these two days the main thread has slowed down considerably with many less repetitive comments. As far as I understand it, there can still be social media updates on the main thread, there can still be succinct discussion/gossip on updates to her social media. It's just that it can no longer be an endless flood of 'cronch cronch your hair is trash' comments from everyone who frequents the forum.

There has been more variety in the discussion in the past two days than I remember seeing in all of last week. It may be a small improvement, but I'd rather wait and see how things work for a bit longer before we raise our pitchforks in retaliation. Maybe that's just me, though. 

Edited by hereRmad
Grammar flop.

Posted (edited)

Not to be rude... but it's been two days. You can't expect things to be changed and smoothed out in two days.

Have you reported the posts you think are improperly placed? If not, you're just waiting for it to crash and burn for an 'I told you so' moment. 

Honestly, in these two days the main thread has slowed down considerably with many less repetitive comments. As far as I understand it, there can still be social media updates on the main thread, there can still be succinct discussion/gossip on updates to her social media. It's just that it can no longer be an endless flood of 'cronch cronch your hair is trash' comments from everyone who frequents the forum.

There has been more variety in the discussion in the past two days than I remember seeing in all of last week. It may be a small improvement, but I'd rather wait and see how things work for a bit longer before we raise our pitchforks in retaliation. Maybe that's just me, though. 

You're right that I'm impatient, but it frustrates me that it looks like we're ruining one if not the most popular thread on the site, something that draws in a bunch of people outside the general PULL user base (and a nice community imo).

People are announcing one after the other that they are leaving, which could be salvageable, but not if we just keep waiting for the numbers to drop, and then be like "yep, this wasn't how we should've done this". Especially when we already know how the Yumi King subforum situation played out.

We have precedent, we have comments stating clearly what people want with many upvotes backing it up, we have users expressing confusion and disappointment regarding the current situation, so what else do we really need?

I just don't see the point of trying to force a well-established thread with almost 300 followers to suddenly become a tidy receipts thread, and redirecting all those followers to an entirely new "nitpicking thread" for casual discussion. That's not how online communities work (besides being unnecessarily bothersome).

I'm also not going to single handedly report two days' worth of posts - that's the reason I'm not applying to become a mod. But it seems like I'm not the only one not doing that either...

There's not much going on at the moment, which usually naturally slows down a thread for a while, but I think the lower engagement rate can also be a good sign that people are getting overwhelmed and losing interest due to the confusing format. I can't see the actual numbers, but that's how I personally feel right now for sure.

About the variety in content, in the past two days we've dicussed: Kenna's hair, Kenna's outfit, tattoos in Japan, Mikan possibly shading Kenna, Kenna getting a croissant at Starbucks... welp, that's really something I've never seen before

Edited by Rocking Horse Fly

Posted (edited)

Sorry I can't make this a clean response, I'm on mobile at the moment. But I'd like to just address a couple of the things you said. I'm not here to argue or say you aren't allowed to have an opinion of the direction of the thread's future.

You can't ruin a section in two days. If people are not even trying to make it work, of course things will be rocky. The issue isn't that there are now three threads to discuss in. Three threads is not anywhere near goal breaking. If you cared about the thread as much as you make it seem, you would report the posts. One report after a long grouping is adequate to simply ask for a move to nitpicking or vice versa. They aren't asking you to report every single one of them, just to make them aware that a mod needs to come in and make the changes per their discretion. 

One person has posted in the thread that they are leaving the discussion. Yes, it has 50+ up votes. But those up votes very well could be people agreeing with the sentiment and not actually proclaiming their leave. Plenty of users left the Kenna thread before this point because they didn't like how the thread was progressing. We all have different beliefs of PULLs purpose. Plenty of us were quiet in our leave before. 

The conversation held over the last two days was not simply over her hair, tattoos, and the shade. Each of those overarching topics had interesting subcontexts that were discussed. Yes, they aren't completely new topics, but Kenna just isn't that interesting of a personality right now for there to be hot new drama all the time. Her thread is pretty much on a loop because of her consistently similar behaviors. Before we could have multiple pages of people just talking about one of these, with most comments being single line snarky bits that weren't providing to the discussion. 

The mods have asked users to direct their suggestions into this thread. They aren't telling anyone to just deal with the change. The majority of posts concerning what sections and organization people want is lost within the pages. Mods can't go back through and find them, so it's up to the user base to find the dedication to summarize what they think will work. A poll would do nicely, and all it takes is someone being willing to make one. That being said - if you are disappointed, stop being passive aggressive about it and be more positively proactive. Being negative and waiting for it to all go up into flames just to prove to the mods that you were right isn't going to improve the thread's atmosphere. I'd suggest making a poll/thread to actually compile user's thoughts and suggestions, get the community talking about what they want out in the open, in one space, and not in a negative aggressive format. 

Edited by hereRmad
Not all the points I hit were important. Edited for brevity,

Posted

The mods have asked users to direct their suggestions into this thread. They aren't telling anyone to just deal with the change. The majority of posts concerning what sections and organization people want is lost within the pages. Mods can't go back through and find them, so it's up to the user base to find the dedication to summarize what they think will work. A poll would do nicely, and all it takes is someone being willing to make one. That being said - if you are disappointed, stop being passive aggressive about it and be more positively proactive. Being negative and waiting for it to all go up into flames just to prove to the mods that you were right isn't going to improve the thread's atmosphere. I'd suggest making a poll/thread to actually compile user's thoughts and suggestions, get the community talking about what they want out in the open, in one space, and not in a negative aggressive format. 

I'm not going to argue with the rest of your comment for now, as we could probably go on for a while, but you are wrong about this one.

No mod had directed people to this thread, I posted a PSA in both the main and the nitpicking thread asking users to come over here to discuss their opinion, instead of just leaving them in the thread. The mods just rolled with it, after some comments started to appear here in that context.

I also already wrote down my detailed suggestions and what we had agreed upon previously in the thread regarding how the subforum should look, as nothing from that was taken into account when it was eventually created. I personally was shut down with a "you wanted a solution, we gave you one" when I presented my points in a respectful manner. So I think you can understand that after this, I'm not very positive and proactive about this issue.

I don't even know how I could reach more than a few users to give their opinions, and whether it's even possible if you aren't a mod or admin. But it's obvious that they haven't taken any steps in order to ask people for feedback. So sorry, but this looks like a half-assed attempt to me.

Posted (edited)

My ideas:

General Discussion 

Thread for Posted Content (Youtube Channel Thread)

✓ Nitpicking Thread

Receipts Thread (only receipts can be posted, no opinions/commentary) like a resource centre

Memes

Clothes/Hair I guess can stay, since it seems active enough and it's a "dead horse" convo.

Nothing more. I like the idea of a copy-cat thread, but honestly there aren't enough of them beyond Lunestelle that matter, so it'd just be a collection of girls who look similar and that's pointless IMO. I think anything beyond maybe those two additional threads would be overkill.

Edited by honeycrisp

Posted (edited)

My ideas:

General Discussion 

Thread for Posted Content (Youtube Channel Thread)

✓ Nitpicking Thread

Receipts Thread (only receipts can be posted, no opinions/commentary) like a resource centre

Memes

Clothes/Hair I guess can stay, since it seems active enough and it's a "dead horse" convo.

Nothing more. I like the idea of a copy-cat thread, but honestly there aren't enough of them beyond Lunestelle that matter, so it'd just be a collection of girls who look similar and that's pointless IMO. I think anything beyond maybe those two additional threads would be overkill.

After a few days of watching how discussion's been progressing in the different threads, my current ideas are:

- general thread (slower pace, no memes or random gifs, but not very strictly bound to just major tea)

- nitpicking/meme/fashion thread merged into kind of a "funsies" thread (with the occasional Kenna look-alikes and other slightly OT things), for people who aren't only here for the very problematic stuff 

I really don't think we need separate threads for these things, as they all appeal to the same kind of audience. But I would refrain from calling it "nitpicking thread", since that's kind of confusing.

- a clean receipts thread (with no commentary, just like a resource center, as you said)

There's no need for a thread just covering youtube and other posted content imo. The problematic videos and shooped pictures/candids can go to the receipts thread and everything else (simple pictures, downloaded videos) can be stored elsewhere with a link to the page.

And that's it. I think we can get away with a total of 3 threads that could suit everyone's individual level of interest in the topic.

Edited by Rocking Horse Fly
atrocious grammar

Posted

After a watching how discussion's been progressing in the different threads during the past few days, my current ideas are:

- general thread (slower pace, no memes or random gifs, but not very strictly bound to just major tea)

- nitpicking/meme/fashion thread merged into kind of a "funsies" thread (with the occasional Kenna look-alikes and other slightly OT things), for people who aren't here only for the very problematic stuff 

I really don't think we need separate threads for these things, as they all target the same kind of audience. But I would refrain from calling it "nitpicking thread", since that's kind of confusing.

- a clean receipts thread (with no commentary, just like a resource center, as you said)

There's no need for a thread just covering youtube and other posted content imo. The problematic videos and shooped pictures/candids can go to the receipts thread and everything else (simple pictures, downloaded videos) can be stored elsewhere with a link to the page.

And that's it. I think we can get away with a total of 3 threads that could suit everyone's individual level of interest in the topic.

Community is awesome, I love your revision.

Posted

I love the idea of those three boards too. And changing the name of the secondary discussion thread. I'm not sure what to. My only idea to help is to make the main thread's title more specific to "hot tea" or something like that. Not much help, but really wanted to voice some support for the suggestion!

Posted

This is my first day back on PULL in months, so it was a nice surprise to see that Kenna finally got her own subforum. I don’t know how well it’s been working out, but I’m sure whatever issues there are can be fixed. 

Thank you Nyx!!

Posted

For anyone looking for past Kenna images for archiving, etc. here are some of her fan-created instagrams. Alltogether, I think they cover almost all of the time Kenna has made her life public: