• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Menclub - Tom Lip's controversial online magazine

95 posts in this topic

Posted

May I just clear up that - in this particular scenario - Google translate is really bad. In fact Taylor's explanation was far more accurate (she was obviously told by someone who could properly understand the article).

If you pick lines and plug them into Google translate, they make 0 sense. E.g. the first/ opening line of this article in question:

"唔知大家其實有冇諗過,點解學生妹咁吸引大家?"

Google translation: I know that everyone has actually been stunned, and the student sisters are attracted to attract everyone.

Actual translation: I don't know if everyone has ever thought about this - why are school girls so attractive to us?

So yea. There's a ton of reasons why google translate isn't good for Cantonese, probably because it's mainly built for mandarin (mainland/ Taiwan).

That is very, very true, yes.

But if a person, who gives 0 fucks about this website (and who fully understands cantoese, because he is from HK) tells me the overall look on the articles and website itsef, tells me it is cringy and not for "overall audience" (like the playboy/maxim elbowsan was trying to sat), bur for creeps... I'm gonna trust my husband on that. Google translation gave me a HORRIBLE vibe from MC, while my OH just said it's "rather disgusting" while translating it to me. It is definitely not AS bad as it may seem, but it's definitely bad. And damn, I know the culture well enough, I know which places to avoid (in HK... which is sad, becayse one of them has a lovely reptile house that my son loves and a nice playground for him, but I don't want to go there by myself) if I don't want to be constantly stared at just because I'm a woman, I know that IS a thing... And if we wanted to we could exploit the "not really a niche beacuse it's true about older chinese perves" but neither me (white af) nor my husband (raised in HK, moved to UK in his early teens) would ever even entertain an idea of doing that, because we know how wrong it is.

And I think - fair enough, in that place that makes you money. But Taylor hit 1mik subs, everyone knows about it, not just your creepy customers (and bu the look of it, tay only got "so big" thanks to him, so he wanted to go beyond HK - otherwise he would film the proposal vid, let's be honest here) and after the backlash they doubled down instead of taking it head on and fixing the issue - THAT is the problem here. Not the translation, not the initial intention - it's instead of the "oh, I got caught doing something creepy, lemme fix that to appeal to bigger audience" it was "I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING THE CULTURE" attitude that done it. 

Eh.

Posted (edited)

That is very, very true, yes.

But if a person, who gives 0 fucks about this website (and who fully understands cantoese, because he is from HK) tells me the overall look on the articles and website itsef, tells me it is cringy and not for "overall audience" (like the playboy/maxim elbowsan was trying to sat), bur for creeps... I'm gonna trust my husband on that. Google translation gave me a HORRIBLE vibe from MC, while my OH just said it's "rather disgusting" while translating it to me. It is definitely not AS bad as it may seem, but it's definitely bad. And damn, I know the culture well enough, I know which places to avoid (in HK... which is sad, becayse one of them has a lovely reptile house that my son loves and a nice playground for him, but I don't want to go there by myself) if I don't want to be constantly stared at just because I'm a woman, I know that IS a thing... And if we wanted to we could exploit the "not really a niche beacuse it's true about older chinese perves" but neither me (white af) nor my husband (raised in HK, moved to UK in his early teens) would ever even entertain an idea of doing that, because we know how wrong it is.

And I think - fair enough, in that place that makes you money. But Taylor hit 1mik subs, everyone knows about it, not just your creepy customers (and bu the look of it, tay only got "so big" thanks to him, so he wanted to go beyond HK - otherwise he would film the proposal vid, let's be honest here) and after the backlash they doubled down instead of taking it head on and fixing the issue - THAT is the problem here. Not the translation, not the initial intention - it's instead of the "oh, I got caught doing something creepy, lemme fix that to appeal to bigger audience" it was "I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING THE CULTURE" attitude that done it. 

Eh.

So you live in Hong Kong. Taylor mentioned in several videos that she will be speaking at a university. What university could that be?

Edited by Beatrice402

Posted

So you live in Hong Kong. Taylor mentioned in several videos that she will be speaking at a university. What university could that be?

I don't, I live in UK, but I spent weeks at the time in HK while visiting my in-laws.

I'll ask my husband if he has any idea which one it may be.

Posted

I don't, I live in UK, but I spent weeks at the time in HK while visiting my in-laws.

I'll ask my husband if he has any idea which one it may be.

Thank you.:)

Posted

Thank you.:)

He said that for what he knows it could be any of them. According to my husband, most of them have business as a 'speciality'. Sorry, unless she gives any more cluess... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Posted

My best guess is HKUST as it’s Elbow’s uni where he graduated in business and gave speeches before, but I can’t find anything on KOL event or anything that could be remotely related to Taylor or her speech

Posted

^she finds comfort to not need to learn the language because she doesn't see herself staying in the country long enough...idk.

but what about the kids? if ew-san's gonna be at work a lot, travel a lot. is she gonna go with him and leave a kid or kids to a nanny? if that's the case then who will be hands on in teaching the children the language? her? that's my question... she's gonna have a hard time communicating if they decide to have kids in HK, as the kids grow up taylor will be left behind in the language area and nothing's worse than not understanding your child.

Posted

He says where her speech is

Screenshot_2019-03-13-06-52-10.png

Posted

we know where it will be held, but what is she going to talk about? Follow your dreams and find a rich guy to fund the dreams? What she can actually bring into business classes with no education or work experience? 

Posted

we know where it will be held, but what is she going to talk about? Follow your dreams and find a rich guy to fund the dreams? What she can actually bring into business classes with no education or work experience? 

Only one way to find out: infiltrate in the room at the time of the presentation. LOL (if you live in HK).. and make sure not to expose her for not having any idea of what she's talking about since she has no degree and no personal business that she worked hard for, as everything she has or got was due to rich husband, off the backs of (more or less innocent girls and women)... :ph34r:

Posted

Anyone else cringing out of their skin at 1. Taylor thinking she’s doing something important/working hard and 2. GoOd GiRl

*pukes*

Posted

My frist thought was how lonely, cold and lifeless this room looks. Nothing personal, cold stone walls, bland colours and everything.

Don't get me wrong I really love minimalistic styles but this is just without soul.

Also disgusted me with the "good girl" shit.

Posted

I don't really feel Taylor has any excuse for not learning Cantonese, Japanese, or other languages.

She is an unemployed woman who's one (1) job is to look pretty/get pregnant. They are clearly filthy rich, and have been for quite a few years. 

Her hobbies appear to be shopping and going out to eat. I don't really see any other hobbies taking up a lot of her day. 

They could spend thousands on hiring her a private tutor every day, buy her the nicest online course, send her to the fanciest school, whatever they want. 

But... I think she just doesn't care. Who does she need to interact with, aside from her husband and Youtube fans? It's not like she has to go to work or be a normal person. If she's going out in public, she can just pay Natalie to come along and translate. 

I don't really think she cares about the culture, history, or languages of any of the places she goes to. All she does it hang out in her fancy apartments and go shopping. Why put effort into a new language? Learning takes so much brain power and dedication. 

I totally do not understand this mentality. I'd feel soo embarrassed if I couldn't speak the language of the country I live in (even if it's still comfortable speaking English or my mother tongue). And here, I don't mean you have to speak it perfectly from the start. But at least make an effort to improve?? I seriously would not go live in Japan if I wasn't going to learn Japanese ... But hey.

Posted

My frist thought was how lonely, cold and lifeless this room looks. Nothing personal, cold stone walls, bland colours and everything.

Don't get me wrong I really love minimalistic styles but this is just without soul.

Also disgusted me with the "good girl" shit.

This room screams "a bachelor lives here" -.- at least to me. No dash of color, just depressing monochrome. :( I can't do much about my apartment because i rent, and while it has white walls (i can't stand them anymore) the little furniture i have is brown, and i have colorful sheets and other stuff to put some life in here. I'd go crazy in so much gray...