• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Menclub - Tom Lip's controversial online magazine

171 posts in this topic

Posted

I got it mixed up, because Taylor refers to him being Chinese many times.

he’s from Hong Kong. But to my knowledge, most Hong Kongers don’t like to refer to themselves as Chinese because they don’t want to be associated with Mainland. My ex’s mom was from Hong Kong and she always declared she was NOT Chinese but a Hong Konger....same with her family. but westerners just generalize. 

Posted

1. Before I make a claim, I'll get some information.
2 Lip earns his money with this disgusting photos stolen from other websites.
3. He brings this money to Canada to save it from the Chinese government. Mainland China influences Hong Kong immensely and will take over Hong Kong again.

Posted

Hong Konger. And they could be any ethnicity but the vast majority are Han Chinese. 

Calling someone "Chinese" does not necessarily mean "a person from the PRC".

Tom is from Hong Kong. His passport is from Hong Kong. He is Chinese because his descent is Chinese, as are most people from Hong Kong.

I really don't get what's so hard to understand here...:alpacadone:

For the love of god no one is arguing about this fucking thing! It's not hard to understand, I got confused and was corrected, that's it! No one is saying he is from PRC, I said I THOUGHT HE WAS BECAUSE HOW TAYLOR HAS WORDED THINGS! So for the love of god stop being an asshole and move on!

he’s from Hong Kong. But to my knowledge, most Hong Kongers don’t like to refer to themselves as Chinese because they don’t want to be associated with Mainland. My ex’s mom was from Hong Kong and she always declared she was NOT Chinese but a Hong Konger....same with her family. but westerners just generalize. 

Thank you! This is how I also believed things to be.

Posted

Okay just to clear things up about Hong Konger/ Chinese and end this discussion...

An increasing amount of people in HK, esp. among millennials, do not call themselves Chinese bc they know it implies they're from the mainland. However, there are many people who simply don't care, or are supporters of the mainland (case in point: Jackie Chan). The same goes for Taiwan, i.e. millennials would rather use Taiwanese instead of Chinese to refer to themselves. It really doesn't help this clusterfuck that the PRC has a really racist view of nationality, i.e. if you are ethnically Chinese, you are therefore Chinese in nationality. The PRC doesn't even view the HKSAR passport as a document of citizenship (even though it basically functions as one) because there is only one Chinese citizenship, and it is issued by the PRC.

For many westerners the distinction is almost irrelevant, and many don't even know about the Chinese diaspora (ethnically Chinese people in Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, South Africa, UK etc. are still Chinese; they also have another national/ ethnic identity in addition). 'Chinese' is really just used to refer to someone of Chinese descent (and 99% of the time, Han Chinese), and not an indicator of their national allegiances. Taylor most likely does this when talking about Tom.

As for Tom moving his money out of Hong Kong... Hong Kong is a tax haven. Income tax is near non-existent. PRC would be stupid to change it since the amount of businesses and individuals keeping their money in HK would plummet. It makes no sense for Tom to move his money to Canada and get taxed for stuff that he won't even use (healthcare, dental, etc.). Their house in Canada is most likely just for Taylor to have a guaranteed home to return to when she wants to visit her family. They're (and by they I mean Tom) obviously rich enough to do that, considering their house in Japan and flat in HK. Taylor and Tom marrying in order to smooth over the house buying process? That was completely more beneficial to Taylor logistically, since Taylor can't afford that house in Canada on her own. Tom got a Canadian passport and Taylor got a 2nd home.

tl;dr Tom is from HK. It really doesn't matter that Taylor refers to him as Chinese - he's from HK. The most compelling proof is that his Cantonese is accent-less. Any mainlander learning Cantonese in later life almost always has an accent, even people from Guangdong speak Canto differently.

Posted

Tom Lip is a tall, beautiful, honest man who speaks several languages without an accent. His charity is praised all over the world, but the most remarkable thing about him is his supernatural beautiful wife whose IQ eclipses that of Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk and Bill Gates.

Posted

Right now people are upset because Tom isn’t admitting that living in a “cage house” is sad. He is talking how he grew up poor and wasn’t unhappy at all. You can read about it on his ig. I don’t know if this is where this belongs... but I found it interesting 

Posted

After he defended 13 year old in bikini on his website I’m not surprised he defends the housing issue and claims Hong Kong people are used to it. I don’t think so, but of course there’s plenty of Taylor’s fan girls supporting him.

Posted

Okay just to clear things up about Hong Konger/ Chinese and end this discussion...

An increasing amount of people in HK, esp. among millennials, do not call themselves Chinese bc they know it implies they're from the mainland. However, there are many people who simply don't care, or are supporters of the mainland (case in point: Jackie Chan). The same goes for Taiwan, i.e. millennials would rather use Taiwanese instead of Chinese to refer to themselves. It really doesn't help this clusterfuck that the PRC has a really racist view of nationality, i.e. if you are ethnically Chinese, you are therefore Chinese in nationality. The PRC doesn't even view the HKSAR passport as a document of citizenship (even though it basically functions as one) because there is only one Chinese citizenship, and it is issued by the PRC.

For many westerners the distinction is almost irrelevant, and many don't even know about the Chinese diaspora (ethnically Chinese people in Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Vietnam, South Africa, UK etc. are still Chinese; they also have another national/ ethnic identity in addition). 'Chinese' is really just used to refer to someone of Chinese descent (and 99% of the time, Han Chinese), and not an indicator of their national allegiances. Taylor most likely does this when talking about Tom.

As for Tom moving his money out of Hong Kong... Hong Kong is a tax haven. Income tax is near non-existent. PRC would be stupid to change it since the amount of businesses and individuals keeping their money in HK would plummet. It makes no sense for Tom to move his money to Canada and get taxed for stuff that he won't even use (healthcare, dental, etc.). Their house in Canada is most likely just for Taylor to have a guaranteed home to return to when she wants to visit her family. They're (and by they I mean Tom) obviously rich enough to do that, considering their house in Japan and flat in HK. Taylor and Tom marrying in order to smooth over the house buying process? That was completely more beneficial to Taylor logistically, since Taylor can't afford that house in Canada on her own. Tom got a Canadian passport and Taylor got a 2nd home.

tl;dr Tom is from HK. It really doesn't matter that Taylor refers to him as Chinese - he's from HK. The most compelling proof is that his Cantonese is accent-less. Any mainlander learning Cantonese in later life almost always has an accent, even people from Guangdong speak Canto differently.

^^^ This poster gets it

As an aside, if Tom is the kind of guy who sexualizes 14 year olds and doesn't see a problem with people living in cages in Hong Kong, he's also likely the kind of guy who isn't "woke" enough to care about being called Chinese when he's from Hong Kong. If the price was right for his businesses, he'd probably slobber all over Beijing the way Jackie Chan does too

Tom Lip is a tall, beautiful, honest man who speaks several languages without an accent. His charity is praised all over the world, but the most remarkable thing about him is his supernatural beautiful wife whose IQ eclipses that of Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk and Bill Gates.

lol i'm dying

Posted

I’m glad we got someone who knows the eithnic issues regarding the Chinese, Hong Konger, and Taiwanese ethnicities and properly addressed it, because it was really cringey seeing uninformed opinions on it. I’m from the US, so it was really refreshing learning something. 

Posted (edited)

We might as well talk about Elbow-san in general here instead of starting another thread.

Background:

So the housing problem in HK is wack. HK has one of the highest income gaps in the world and yet our government is one of three places (Singapore and Dubai being the other two) that has more money than they know what to do with. Recently we got a hand out of $4000 (just under 600 USD) bc the government didn't know what to do with its surplus, so instead of putting it towards healthcare/ education/ housing they just went 'yea we're spending 2 billion HKD to organise the admin needed to give you guys 4k HKD'. The housing problem from what I have seen is not so much old buildings in dire need of repair (although that is a huge issue) but more that you need extortionate amounts of money to buy even the most miserable flat. The millennials who have entered the work force find themselves unable to see any possibility of buying a property bc their salary and house prices are so mismatched, but the boomer generation is largely unsympathetic (there was an incident 3.5 years ago when a successful film producer basically said 'if you all didn't go to Japan for holiday and bought less clothes you could buy a flat' which shows how out of touch a lot of boomers are with the current generation problems). Another huge part of it is nouveau rich mainlanders coming down and buying 2nd homes and jacking up the prices. It used to be the case that you could get a house/ flat in more rural/ outskirt areas like Sai Kung for a relatively reasonable price but now, even the outlying islands like Lamma Island is seeing prices go up.

Having said that, the pic that Tom posted of some high rise blocks is 1) nothing out of the ordinary for HK (land is the most expensive thing so a lot of blocks are literally inches apart) and 2) actually far from the worst of it in HK. Imo the commenters on that pic either aren't from HK or are being overly negative for not much of a reason? I clicked on some of their profiles and most of them seem to be from overseas so... Also it's not like that pic was one of 7 people crammed into 400 sqft flat, he just took a picture of the high rises from the outside.

I can see why Tom is like 'it's not that bad...' because 1) HK is one of the most densely populated places and people who grew up here are largely used to it 2) the block of flats he took a picture of are fairly standard/ normal HK living and 3) he's most likely referring to the picture he took, not of the very real situations like 13 people living in a tiny apartment.

Just like I don't think Tom knows what it's like to live in a 250 sqft flat... I doubt most of the commenters on that picture know what they're talking about either.

Edited by redbowkiki

Posted

Here is one of Tom's replies on his ig.

elbow.JPG

Posted

I wonder why he chose that picture to emphasize how interesting Hong Kong is. It's a practical building designed to have many people living for a low price, instead of a beautifully designed building or a piece of amazing arquitecture that I'm sure Hong Kong has...

Posted

I wonder why he chose that picture to emphasize how interesting Hong Kong is. It's a practical building designed to have many people living for a low price, instead of a beautifully designed building or a piece of amazing arquitecture that I'm sure Hong Kong has...

because I don’t like him I’m gonna assume it’s some lame attempt at humbleness

Posted

because it is a very Hong Kong photo. Those buildings are uniquely HK. They’re not exquisite or anything. But they are uniquely HK. 

Posted

because it is a very Hong Kong photo. Those buildings are uniquely HK. They’re not exquisite or anything. But they are uniquely HK. 

yea this. I haven't seen another big city where buildings are that close together; from what I've seen, Tokyo comes close but it's still not like HK. there's something about the spacing of the architecture that is immediately recognisable as HK.