• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Annika Victoria

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Her over sensitivity sounds like she hasn't fully accepted her illness and struggles to make peace or cope with it.  So instead of turning Instagram into a positive and teaching her followers about this illness, she stays silent on what her disease is and lashes out unnecessarily online at any tiny thing. 

Posted

She IS open about what her illness is and what it means though. Sometimes a bit too open in my opinion, she had some super disturbing detailed descriptions of pain she is experiencing, I don't think that's an issue itself it's her page and she is free to choose what she shares, I just personally wish she separated it from her fashion stuff more because some posts like that gave me literal nightmares

(Sorry for double quote, justmobilethings)

Posted

As previously stated by many people here, I am really glad that this topic was created. And I probably won't add anything particularly new.
I used to love her, since I am big into crafts and arts. Her first videos were really good, at least for a highschool me. Then she started posting less and less and I kinda lost my interest in her. Nowadays she seems to be all over the place in her new projects, it's like she doesn't research enough or gets lost in the middle of crafting. That's all I can say about her Youtube career. It's okay, nothing special now.
Her IG account on the other hand is frankly really annoying, to put it lightly. She is a typical SJW when it comes to talking about how people treat her. It's understandable, but on the other hand you cannot expect people to treat you like an abled person when you're obviously not, and treat you like a disabled person when you don't look like one. She's getting worse and worse as time passes. It's a sad truth, but we live in a world that is constructed in some ways which are really hard to change - it's extremely hard to pay a woman in Bangladesh more for her 18 hour shift, it's extremely hard to make everything for everyone and it's extremely hard to change people when it comes to treating ill people with sometimes babying kindness. The sad truth is that world is ableist and there's not much you can change. Our world is also neurotypical. Screaming about equal treating and stomping your feet about not being given fliers, people helping you with your wheelchair and especially older people and their approach is childlike. It sucks that she gets away with it because she's psysically disabled/ill. Imagine a person who has a variety of mental problems going off on social media about how they are told to "go to gym", "eat healthy", "live, love, laugh" and other stuff Annika is ranting about. Everyone would tear them apart.
Her rare speeches about the inequality in the world also show that she has a very SJW way of thinking, not considering economy, global politics, cultural differences and so on. It's good that she doesn't support fast fashion, but the way she presents her views (for example the Bangladesh workers in factories) is black and white. And she doesn't realize it's a big, first world country privilege to see it this way.

Posted

Does anyone else notice that she describes her pictures on Instagram? Why would she do that? Who is using Instagram without looking at the pictures?

Posted

Does anyone else notice that she describes her pictures on Instagram? Why would she do that? Who is using Instagram without looking at the pictures?

It for people who are blind/visually impaired. It's kind of hard to wrap your head around if you are sighted because... well we see the images and to us that is like 90% of using instagram. However, apparently there is enough of a market for Instagram to have started implementing accessibility features into the app itself. If I remember correctly, for a long time the screen reader couldn't even be used for instagram descriptions.

Posted

Yeah as they said above me it's for people with impaired sight. Instagram actually has a feature now that allows you to add image descriptions without making them show in the caption. It doesn't seem to work perfectly, this is why Annika adds them in the captions. One of the things I definitely give credit for her is teaching me this, I've been adding descriptions to my insta posts for a while now too, using the built-in feature.

Posted

Oh it's built in?? I thought she was doing it herself cuz if she writing them herself, then describing herself as cute, pretty, or chic was a little narcissistic. 

Posted

Oh it's built in?? I thought she was doing it herself cuz if she writing them herself, then describing herself as cute, pretty, or chic was a little narcissistic. 

Sorry I wasn't clear it seems, she IS writing them herself. Before the feature was added, you had no choice but put it in the captions. But now there is a feature where there is a text box you can add it so the description you wrote doesn't show up for a user browsing on a regular phone, but for screen readers the pictures will be replaced by the description you wrote.

Even tho the feature exists she still adds it to her captions, because apparently the built in thing isn't perfect yet and this way she makes sure anyone can read it. And obviously because this way it won't be hidden from an abled viewer either and they can see her as an example of doing this.

Posted

Sorry I wasn't clear it seems, she IS writing them herself. Before the feature was added, you had no choice but put it in the captions. But now there is a feature where there is a text box you can add it so the description you wrote doesn't show up for a user browsing on a regular phone, but for screen readers the pictures will be replaced by the description you wrote.

Even tho the feature exists she still adds it to her captions, because apparently the built in thing isn't perfect yet and this way she makes sure anyone can read it. And obviously because this way it won't be hidden from an abled viewer either and they can see her as an example of doing this.

off topic: i had no idea of such a feature on IG! thank you! i thought those who need glasses to see things near them, would wear them when using the phone... though, i suppose there are more types of visually impaired people -despite me being near sighted, i didn't care enough to learn more about the subject. shame on me! >.< thanks again!

Posted

About "get better" thing, I get it that she might have come across rude, she should have explained it in a different manner

This youtuber has explained it better in this video

I dont think she is problematic (when it comes to her illness) but I feel like she chooses the wrong way to express herself, which makes her seem rude (and i think you should educate people, not make them feel guilty for not understanding you)

Posted

Okay I think I just unfollowed her for real on insta, I'll see if her youtube will be unsubscribed too, sorry if I sound overdramatic, but this is why I'm here lol

These latest two insta posts were the last straw for me. Those two outfits (she captioned them as Outfit 1, Outfit 6, I guess we'll see 2, 3, 4, 5 in the upcoming video) are so unimpressive. Back then on her blog she made so many great outside photoshoots and even her indoors pics were so classy, I really miss when she just generally posted good looks? She didn't even shoot separate photos to advertise the video, these seem to be just frames from the video? The image quality is so bad.

I know I'm nitpicking at this point but it's these the small things that made me gradually dislike her. I'd bear with the SJW stuff if she kept up the content quality. But her outfits were just getting sloppier, and it's not that she dresses more comfortable to feel better, some of her looks actually seem super uncomfy with thigh highs and stuff... She mixes fabrics that don't match, layers stuff that shouldn't be layered etc.

The upcoming vid is described as "A new video on how I reorganised my wardrobe to create a new style (for $0!)!" So... what you did just pick different clothes from your wardrobe and wear them...? That 'new stye", what style is this? That's just a dress, pants and a shirt, and the same beret, I don't see any "style". Are we getting another 15 minute video where she is literally describing nothing for 10 minutes then for the last 5 mins Luci appears and they promote their sponsor?

You can't even blame her lack of interesting content on a lack of inspiration ie art block, Make Thrift Buy is literally built on fan suggestions, all she has to do is pick one and sew it, I loved watching her design process and stuff, but it seems she is avoiding actual sewing process vids in favour of stuff where she doesn't have to work herself, like Make Thrift Try, product reviews etc. and I'm not interested in that and don't like her as a person enough to just stick around for content I don't care about.

Posted

I used to really like her but lately she's been sort of... underwhelming. This might be be rude to say, but is it just me or do all of her clothes fit her oddly? Like they're all too big or too small in weird places. Of course people have different styles but her choices of outfits is definitely different. None of it matches very well in my opinion.

Posted

I REALLY used to love Annika, and I'll still occasionally watch some of her videos, but sometimes she really rubs me the wrong way. 

There was one instance I remember where I started to notice her behaviour was bothering me. Spoilered bc no screenshots of the post in question as it happened years ago

This happened a reaaaaaally long time ago (maybe 2 years), but she shared the work of another DIY youtuber on her instagram, named Sarah Tyau. This youtuber would primarily take thrifted frumpy XL clothes and transform them into something modern and stylish. A bunch of people came onto Annika's post (which was supposed to be about celebrating talent and creativity) and ripped this youtuber to SHREDS in the comments for "using her thin privilege to exploit plus sized clothing" and "being inconsiderate of plus sized people who could have worn them". Anyway, instead of defending this girl for just using her creativity, Annika stayed silent throughout the whole ordeal, and then later on even adopted some of these ideas that upcycling XL clothes was somehow part of "thin privilege" (I dont remember if she said this in a video or an IG story but she definitely mentioned it at least once).

Her punch needle video was actually infuriating for me to watch, it seemed like she wanted it to fail from the start, and even if she didn't research how to use it in the beginning to seem "relatable", it's still shitty of her to do because nothing was accomplished for half the video and it just shows that it wasn't something she really cared about showing in the first place.

Posted

I REALLY used to love Annika, and I'll still occasionally watch some of her videos, but sometimes she really rubs me the wrong way. 

There was one instance I remember where I started to notice her behaviour was bothering me. Spoilered bc no screenshots of the post in question as it happened years ago

Hidden Content

Her punch needle video was actually infuriating for me to watch, it seemed like she wanted it to fail from the start, and even if she didn't research how to use it in the beginning to seem "relatable", it's still shitty of her to do because nothing was accomplished for half the video and it just shows that it wasn't something she really cared about showing in the first place.

Maybe she was secretly hoping for the other girl to be ripped apart... because, i dont know, when you sincerely appreciate someone, you defend them. or most normal people would. 

It's just annoying to see people trying out stuff without reading the instructions and then wondering "why doesn't it work?" I'm looking at you Annika, Cristine (SimplyNailogical) and I think even the GraveYardGirl is guilty of this. Reading the user's manual is not common practice for them? I literally had to read the book and watch a few videos on how to thread my sewing machine (simply because i was/am new to sewing and all).  

Posted

Lmao this sounds petty af but I watched bits of her last video and huuuuh girl

She wanted a style change and like that's fine but her haircut kind of looks tragic considering her refs? idk it just looks like a poor unkempt cut, not a cute effortless bob cut (pictures and ref pic spoilered to not clutter)

haircut.thumb.PNG.d695362c0bf707a8a0c08d

haircut2.thumb.PNG.9b346b746879b2a6ed881haircut3.thumb.PNG.4a6df0779b2107317556bhaircut4.thumb.PNG.d6dc97128565b8bed918f

This whole thing just annoys me because she goes on about wanting to change her style for something that has a french flair to it and huh nothing really reads french to me... (I've lived in France for 10+ years so you'd expect I understand what she means lol) I mean it's pretty basic girl next door apparel I'd say? But she's so obsessed with it... It's odd, to me, like I just don't relate to it and I don't think I understand the kind of image she's trying to work with

However I appreciate her showing her process, shopping your own stash and making piles etc.