• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Annika Victoria

50 posts in this topic

Posted

Annika's social media:

youtube // instagram // twitter // website

IMG_4928.JPG

From her website:

Annika is a twenty-something creator, passionate DIY’er and community leader from Sydney, Australia. She is also currently studying part-time for her Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular Biology and Genetics with a minor in Gender and Cultural Studies.

Annika makes videos about sewing and style for seamsters of all levels, with a focus on sustainable and socially-responsible fashion. She is passionate about teaching people of all abilities how to sew, geeking out about fabrics, fashion and trends, and raising awareness of the impact people's clothing choices have on the world. Through her own experiences with a life-threatening chronic illness, she promotes positivity through hardship and has an optimistic way of looking at the world around her.

Though it may seem like an ambitious undertaking for a sewing and DIY channel, through her videos (and social media channels), she wants to make the world a better place.

She has sewing tutorial series such as Make Thrift Buy, Get Thready With me, The Style Pile etc.

Personally I was a big fan of her for years but recently I've been unfollowing her on-off because sometimes I find her stuff overwhelming and her attitude rubbed me the wrong way. So I thought why not open a topic and discuss, I dunno, maybe it's just me. I tried to list things that I've seen other people criticize before.

• Spoonie stuff on insta. It's not that she is posting about her illness, it's her page so she can do whatever she wants and it's great that she is confident to be so open about it. But most of her audience is coming from youtube expecting fashion posts and then sees... this...

annika1.thumb.png.f7d897eb8fc2ed2511e5fc

annika2.thumb.png.cf9f8f9f23fe075424fd7f

annika3.thumb.png.f275f18d2bee885304b1f4

• With people coming to her insta from her DIY youtube channel, it's inevitable that her audience will include a lot of people very ignorant to the issues she deals with, and her activism isn't the... nicest? She comes off very condescending and SJW-ish. Example: an insta story by her about why we shouldn't wish her to "get better soon"... (https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17883589468195085/)

annika4.thumb.png.897726fdc0f506c1356dbcannika5.thumb.png.71522209436f337dd00475

I dunno about you all but demanding others to tell you "you're doing an amazing job" and "i'm proud of you" when they were just being polite with you is a bit extra...

• About 2 years ago she started saving up for a craft table apparently, saying that she needs it especially because it will ease the pain of working with her illness (and not because like... honestly any decent seamstress needs one...). Later she got the table and the same month she went to Japan for a long holiday. Sadly I can't find it but I remember she had to address criticism on insta or in comments that she recieved for making it appear like she needed money for the table when she already clearly had enough, just spent it on recreation. She said that she deserves holidays too and it's not fair that nobody checks what people with "normal" jobs do with their money but I also feel like it was really dishonest and somewhat manipulative of her to ask for money, saying that creating content is literally painful for her and she cannot ease it without our financial help, when in reality she could've.

First vid at 6:39 she talks about needing the table to work painlessly.

And here at 8.56 she is thanking for the table, detailing the lots of pain she won't have to experience anymore...

• She recently wrote an essay titled "The Ivory Tower Only Has Stairs". (Linking doesn't work for some reason so here it is: http://www.annikavictoria.com/blog/2019/2/5/the-ivory-tower-only-has-stairs). Annika apparently had been studying for a 3-year bachelor's degree for over 10 years at this point. This essay contains some enlightening thoughts but also some parts that make me feel like her gender studies minor is showing and like, is the wrong way... She compains about an old lady wanting her to give up her seat when she is "trapped in a body at least 70 years older", she complains that university is "structured" to make people like her with "memory issues" to fail (like... you have to study there really is no way around that??) etc. She talks about tertiary education as if it was a basic necessity for everyone and all her hardships at uni are because "society wants to keep disabled people poor and powerless", when she already runs a business that she didn't need her degree for. She also said in a comment on her insta post about the essay that she finds it unfair society forced her to CREATE her own job that accomodates her - as if "youtuber" and "seamstress" were invented by her...
  • She is friends with Riley Dennis apparently, who made a cameo in her most recent vid, uhm :S 

I hope I wasn't too harsh. What do you all think?

Posted

Since I just started my own adventures in the DIY world, especially with sewing, i inevitably came across her channel. I don't know what to think of her. I didn't check all her social media. Might have checked out her IG, and saw little DIY/sewing, and was confused. but what's the name of her disease? i heard her mentioning it, but i didnt register... - i'll do research on my own,about it.

It was shady of her to ask for money for a table and then to buy it and go to Japan. yes, she needs a vacation AND a table, and from what you said, the money was mostly for the Japan trip than the table. Though the trip might be cheaper from Australia, than it is from Europe/USA? I dont know.. 

I dont think you were too harsh. just pointing out stuff you found odd about her. 

Posted

I used to watch her but I think her sewing/DIYing skills aren't that great tbh (I've been taught in sewing and pattern drafting so I think it's fair for me to say this lol)

Posted

I used to watch her but I think her sewing/DIYing skills aren't that great tbh (I've been taught in sewing and pattern drafting so I think it's fair for me to say this lol)

I wasn't impressed by her way or making/copying that Zara skirt (i think it's her latest video) - a wrap skirt from 2 years back, with ruffles, some elastic at the back... i think she complicated the process for nothing. Or maybe she didn't think it through enough... or something. it was indeed a sign that her skills aren't that great. but i got this feeling from several of her videos, not just this one i mentioned.  

ps -now in understand why your username is couture xD or maybe you just like fashion, hehe 

Posted

Since I just started my own adventures in the DIY world, especially with sewing, i inevitably came across her channel. I don't know what to think of her. I didn't check all her social media. Might have checked out her IG, and saw little DIY/sewing, and was confused. but what's the name of her disease? i heard her mentioning it, but i didnt register... - i'll do research on my own,about it.

It was shady of her to ask for money for a table and then to buy it and go to Japan. yes, she needs a vacation AND a table, and from what you said, the money was mostly for the Japan trip than the table. Though the trip might be cheaper from Australia, than it is from Europe/USA? I dont know.. 

I dont think you were too harsh. just pointing out stuff you found odd about her. 

She has Takayasu arteritis.

To be honest I don't think she realized that the timing of her Japan trip could be criticized later. It was a 1-month trip so it was probably planned and paid in advance, I realize that. So it's not that she went on a holiday from money she got from her fans for the table. But it still rubs me the wrong way that she was prioritizing saving up for a trip over buying equipment that allows her to be able to work and then ask fans to help her get the equipment, instead of you know, investing in the equipment first and then working more to get the money for the trip... I don't know I'm probably also maybe just jealous because I would love to just spend my savings on a Japan trip then tell everyone that "duh it's none of your business what I spend my money on I NEEDED a vacation!" lol

Honestly I was hesitating starting the thread because I always felt that she is so well-intentioned, I don't know maybe I am white knighting too much hehe? Seriously I was idolizing her for a long time and it's somewhat recent that I felt like criticizing her. But however well-intentioned she is I can't help but feel like yeah you guys are right, her skills aren't that great. I like her as an entertainer and video maker but I wouldn't call her a seamstress? And the more and more cringy "sjw" stuff she does the sadder I get. I'm still not over the fact that she is friends with Riley if-you-don't-date-me-you-are-transphobic Dennis.

Posted

Same as the OP, I was following Annika on YT first for a loong time, and I was delighted to discover her Instagram.... in which she posts almost solely about her illness, complete with passive-aggressive rants like the "get better" one. I understand that it's obviously a HUGE part of her life and she wants to bring awareness to it because of her audience, but..... I feel like that should all be in a separate account? I didn't follow you for this? This is like Invadernodles posting rants on her Twitter, literally nobody signed up for this content, let alone the multiple passive-aggressive Instagram stories.

I specifically remember her mentioning again and again "DON'T tell me I'm prettier now that I'm thin/ DON'T tell me I gained weight, because my weight fluctuates a lot and I'm not gonna stay like that". I mean, yeah, true, commenting on someone's weight is shitty and uncalled for, but seriously, she mentioned it so much (especially when she lost weight), it's like she was trying to bring attention to it.

I also noticed that, around the time of the multiple Insta stories, she was acting SO BORED in her solo videos, when they weren't reaction ones with her boyfriend. Again, not the content I signed up for.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the "Magic Embroidery Pen" video. Not only was she bored and monotone, but she also didn't research the pen properly, and just.... stabbed her fabric multiple times, trying to be funny about it but ending up broadcasting her irritation and unwillingness to do the video crystal clear. Yeah, she does research the pen eventually in the video (complete with another I'm-trying-to-be-funny scene with her boyfriend), but she seemed unprofessional and, frankly, stupid. Just edit that part out, who wants to see you stab a random piece of fabric over and over with a product that you obviously didn't know how to use?

Posted

OMG I started watching her when I was in highschool and I really loved her 'Make, Thrift, Buy' series but TBH she seems really...off to me, I think I stopped following her on insta when she had that meltdown over people saying 'get well soon/ get better', I understand that she's doing it tough with her illness and all but I can't sympathise with someone who gets upset over people wishing her wellness, I also don't like how she thinks she's speaking for all chronically ill people either. 

Posted

She has Takayasu arteritis.

To be honest I don't think she realized that the timing of her Japan trip could be criticized later. It was a 1-month trip so it was probably planned and paid in advance, I realize that. So it's not that she went on a holiday from money she got from her fans for the table. But it still rubs me the wrong way that she was prioritizing saving up for a trip over buying equipment that allows her to be able to work and then ask fans to help her get the equipment, instead of you know, investing in the equipment first and then working more to get the money for the trip... I don't know I'm probably also maybe just jealous because I would love to just spend my savings on a Japan trip then tell everyone that "duh it's none of your business what I spend my money on I NEEDED a vacation!" lol

Honestly I was hesitating starting the thread because I always felt that she is so well-intentioned, I don't know maybe I am white knighting too much hehe? Seriously I was idolizing her for a long time and it's somewhat recent that I felt like criticizing her. But however well-intentioned she is I can't help but feel like yeah you guys are right, her skills aren't that great. I like her as an entertainer and video maker but I wouldn't call her a seamstress? And the more and more cringy "sjw" stuff she does the sadder I get. I'm still not over the fact that she is friends with Riley if-you-don't-date-me-you-are-transphobic Dennis.

Thank you for telling me :) /goes to read more about the illness.

I think you're right with everything else you said. - except the Riley part because i don't know him, lol. so i can't have an opinion on that.

Same as the OP, I was following Annika on YT first for a loong time, and I was delighted to discover her Instagram.... in which she posts almost solely about her illness, complete with passive-aggressive rants like the "get better" one. I understand that it's obviously a HUGE part of her life and she wants to bring awareness to it because of her audience, but..... I feel like that should all be in a separate account? I didn't follow you for this? This is like Invadernodles posting rants on her Twitter, literally nobody signed up for this content, let alone the multiple passive-aggressive Instagram stories.

[...]

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was the "Magic Embroidery Pen" video. Not only was she bored and monotone, but she also didn't research the pen properly, and just.... stabbed her fabric multiple times, trying to be funny about it but ending up broadcasting her irritation and unwillingness to do the video crystal clear. Yeah, she does research the pen eventually in the video (complete with another I'm-trying-to-be-funny scene with her boyfriend), but she seemed unprofessional and, frankly, stupid. Just edit that part out, who wants to see you stab a random piece of fabric over and over with a product that you obviously didn't know how to use?

about her Ig account, maybe this was her way of separating the content - YT for her creative/DIY ideass, and IG for her personal stuff, mostly her illness...  I don't think it's a great way to separate the 2, especially if the name brings them together. 

That embroidery pen video was also a let down for me - the first part when she didn't try to learn more about it. i suppose she wanted to be relatable, as not everyone does their research before trying a new item out, and sometimes end up ruining it. i could say the same about the handsewing machine -i think she reviewed an item like that as well? BUT, to be fair, that hand sewing machine looks difficult. I found a good review and instructions video from an Indian guy (from India, lol), for that machine. i didnt pay attention to the release date, to see if Annika could have seen it before hand. Maybe it wouldnt have been 'fair' or 'authentic' enough for her own video if she already watched someone else using it?  

Posted (edited)

just like many others i used to watch her, but now that i've gotten into sewing myself i feel like her skills aren't as great. so i barely watch her anymore because i feel like there are better sewing youtubers out there who can help me improve my skills more than watching her videos.

also that rant about the 'get well' thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. i get how she must feel, but there's no need to act this way over something that is meant in a good way. she could've gotten her point across perfectly fine with the first 3 images. but instead she posts over 10+ and that's just blowing things out of proportion and even kind of feels like she's seeking attention?

Edited by chuuberry

Posted

Phew I'm honestly glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by the "get well soon" thing. I was afraid of criticizing anything she says regarding disability as an abled person you know... But like, it's the same way as how we greet each other by "How are you?" it's just polite but we don't necessarily care how you actually are? "Get well soon" is also a phrase like that, and I especially hated how she finished the rant by saying she is actually quite well, like didn't that just contradict her whole point?

I almost forgot there was something I was hesitating to add to the main post, because it's really just personal experience:
I don't like the way she is advertising things, because I had a really bad experience with a company she advertised (am I allowed to say which one? I will edit if yes). She claims she only supports companies that she actually finds good enough to trust and has good experiences with but gosh my experience with it was so bad, either she didn't actually use the service as a regular user (but instead was just mailed free stuff to show off) or she misrepresented the quality of it. It's especially annoying that when she advertises something she spends a good few minutes talking about it every time (I always just skip those parts, luckily they're easy to spot because she always brings Luci in for them.)

Posted (edited)

I watched a few videos of her. I think the first one was the embroidery pen. I liked her at first but now, I'm kind of leaning away. She's said/done stuff that made me think of Kenna when she was at her worst.

Edited by UhhhhhNo
Forgot something

Posted

I've watched some of Annika's videos and enjoy them as someone very new to sewing, is disabled, and trying to avoid purchasing so much fast fashion as well. I hadn't looked at her instagram before--the aesthetic pills pic is really uncomfortable. I get the premise of wanting to destigmatize medication but I don't think treating it as an ~aesthetic~ is any better? It's more commodifying than anything tbh.

I'm not a fan of blogs that center around being a spoonie rather than normalizing or being an activist for disability either. They typically seem self-pitying and glorifying of sickness instead of treating like an aspect that you can overcome.

Posted

Her 'Make Thrift Buy' series was good to have running in the background and did give me a few ideas when I just started thrifting and flipping my old clothes. I feel like since early last year, I've completely lost interest in her videos just because they don't seem too innovative for me anymore. Watching her videos back then was comething new and refreshing, but nowadays everything just feels so repetitive and I think she feels the same way about it. :alpacadone:

Now reading the things she posts on her instagram, I feel even more compelled to just unsub from her now. There are times when I feel like her illness eats away at her and she ends up with a really shitty attitude, but I don't blame her. I really do wish her the best in everything, and that she gets some rest. 

Her 'Make Thrift Buy' series was good to have running in the background and did give me a few ideas when I just started thrifting and flipping my old clothes. I feel like since early last year, I've completely lost interest in her videos just because they don't seem too innovative for me anymore. Watching her videos back then was comething new and refreshing, but nowadays everything just feels so repetitive and I think she feels the same way about it. :alpacadone:

Now reading the things she posts on her instagram, I feel even more compelled to just unsub from her now. There are times when I feel like her illness eats away at her and she ends up with a really shitty attitude, but I don't blame her. I really do wish her the best in everything, and that she gets some rest. 

Posted

I used to watch some of her videos now and then, enough to come back to her channel once in a while. I do admit, the first time I was introduced to the fact she had a chronic illness, it was on a video where she had stated something along the lines of "Yes, I have a disability. Just because I can walk sometimes doesn't mean I don't have one." which kind of made me feel a little standoffish since she was just modeling a piece of clothing. 

Having a chronic illness myself, I can understand that some people have a preconceived notion about invisible/visible illness but as a new viewer I felt a bit like I was being scolded for something I didn't do. 

Also with the thing with the "get better soon", I'm sure it's a hot button topic for some people but she expressed it was in a pretty condensing way. Most people don't have the same knowledge of chronic illness as we do with our own bodies.We're the ones getting the medication, going to the checkups, speaking with the doctor. She can't speak for all chronically ill people because we're not all the same imo. I know when people say "get better soon" they just want to express their sympathies to what I'm going through that they probably don't understand what's going on as thoroughly as I do. 

tbh i don't think there are specific rules to expressing your sympathy that someone you care about is going through a rough time.

Posted

Having a chronic illness myself, I can understand that some people have a preconceived notion about invisible/visible illness but as a new viewer I felt a bit like I was being scolded for something I didn't do. 

Also with the thing with the "get better soon", I'm sure it's a hot button topic for some people but she expressed it was in a pretty condensing way. Most people don't have the same knowledge of chronic illness as we do with our own bodies.We're the ones getting the medication, going to the checkups, speaking with the doctor. She can't speak for all chronically ill people because we're not all the same imo. I know when people say "get better soon" they just want to express their sympathies to what I'm going through that they probably don't understand what's going on as thoroughly as I do. 

tbh i don't think there are specific rules to expressing your sympathy that someone you care about is going through a rough time.

I think o may have watched that video as well, and i also felt scolded xD And i was thinking, i don't even know you lady, i came here for the information you have to give me, in relation to sewing/making clothes, or whatever else made me click on your video. xD 

Since i'm pretty healthy (or i used to be, and i need to start paying attention to stuff) and i'm not a doctor, i always have to think what 'chronic' means. If others are like me, they possibly don't know or realize that 'get better soon' is not something to say to a person who is chronically ill. unless, maybe it was a poor choice of words and the person/people meant it like 'i hope this outburst/flare passes fast' since the ill person was feeling (somewhat) better before the outburst/flare. i hope i don't say bullcrap.