• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

Eugenia Svetlana Dmitrievna / Yoo Lana / @23.11_

94 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Eugenia Svetlana Dmitrievna / LANA

Instagram // Youtube

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.52.39_PM.thum

Overview

Eugenia Svetlana is a 20-something year old Russian woman from Sakhalin (far eastern Russia) living in Korea as a model and aspiring Kpop idol. She had gone by many names, such as Yoo Svetlana, Yoo Ebi, and finally Yoo Lana. She made her "debut" into Korean media in 2017 on the show Abnormal Summit due to her ability to speak Korean at a high conversational level. After gaining popularity due to looking Korean despite being 100% white, she then was booked onto Welcome, First Time in Korea? (also 2017) and gained a large following on Instagram (48k). She participated as a guest in many smaller variety shows after this. During 2018 she disappeared from the internet for a while but then resurfaced with the message that she would be debuting in November or December of 2018 under Thought Ent, a new agency. That post has since been deleted and there has been no word of her debut. She has since joined an ad agency called Be Icon, and had a cameo in a music video called FaceTime by J-Cat, and signed to the label HICC Entertainment, home of the boy group Elvin Crew. She has recently made an appearance on Problematic Men. She is currently attending Sungkyukwan University studying political diplomacy.

Issues

Constantly changing appearance to appear Korean

childhood photo:

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_8.33.23_PM.thum

as we can see here, typical caucasian Russian mother and child. Svetlana's family is from the far-east of Russia and many people believe that she's partially Asian/Korean as around 10% of Sakhalin (her city's) population is Asian, with 5% of that belonging to Koreans who fled Korea during the diaspora. This isn't true. There WAS a photo uploaded by Svetlana of her entire family, but she has since deleted it. It showed that her entire family was white. Svetlana even said herself that both of her parents are fully white but have small/Korean eyes which made them appear mixed (this was kind of a racist statement but yeah).

Here is a translated screen shot of her interview where she makes this statement. The full KR interview is here, the google translate for it is pretty reliable (but not totally) if you can get past the incorrect pronouns. 

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_11.14.51_PM.thu

pre-media debut (2016):

There was a mistake made here. There are no "predebut" photos besides the childhood photo. If anyone wants to dig around and PM me a photo, that would be great!

variety show era (2017):

Screenshot_2019-02-05_at_4.21.13_PM.thum   Screenshot_2019-02-05_at_4.20.57_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.41.45_PM.thum     Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.42.00_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_7.01.10_PM.thum

In her variety appearances, she still appears racially white. She gains a large number of followers on IG during this time period, but it is also during this time that she begins taking photos at herself from angles from which she appears more Asian. 

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_7.10.36_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_7.10.52_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.52.39_PM.thum

In many of these photos you'll see that she takes care to edit her photos as to minimize her nose and double-lid size, has dyed her hair a slightly darker color, and just in general looks very different from her variety-show self. Her natural eye color is an olive -ish color, but it's usually edited to be dark brown (or she wears colored contacts, idk). Many of the people who followed her knew her from the variety shows she appeared on and were aware that she was fully Russian, but because her account became popular, people began to follow her because she was pretty and were unaware that she wasn't partially/fully Korean (due to marketing herself as Svetlana Yoo/Yoo Ebie and her Korean-esque appearance) which sparked a lot of rumors. The interview shoud've dispelled the rumors, but since it wasn't necessarily a hot piece of info and many of her fans can't speak or understand Korean, the rumors about her ethnicity continue to persist. 

social media vs live action and no makeup(2018 and 2019)

social media-

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_7.10.04_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.54.47_PM.thum          Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_7.11.11_PM.thum

She keeps deviating further and further from her original look, notice that all of these photos are taken from the same angle but she looks different in all of them. In the last photo you can see that she shooped her head smaller, as the door line's slope is different on the left and right sides of her face. In 2018 she showed a lot of spirit for Russia during the Olympics by posting "go Russia!" photos in their olympic merch and putting the flag in her bio, but those were deleted once she began gaining followers after her debut was announced. 

live action - 

Screenshot_2019-02-05_at_4.17.49_PM.thum     <<< one of the few times her natural eye color is visibleScreenshot_2019-02-05_at_4.17.22_PM.thum

my-tox ad

Screenshot_2019-02-02_at_10.38.17_PM.thu  

problematic men appearance

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.47.57_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-01-30_at_6.44.47_PM.thum

MV 

no makeup - 

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_9.12.14_PM.thum     Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_9.12.56_PM.thum  

Youtube Teaser Vid

With no makeup and angle control, she's undeniably Eastern European, and I think it's really prominent when you actually see her face being dynamic and moving. Her Asian exterior is pretty much only IG deep but as it's basically all she's done recently, almost everyone online/into Kpop seems to think she's at least half Korean. It doesn't help that she's now going by Yoo Lana while making herself look Korean. She DOES cycles the Russian flag in and out of her bio, but it usually disappears during large follower surges, so again, many are unaware that she's actually completely Russian. 

All in all, shooping/using makeup to enhance one's own features isn't wrong, but just scrolling through this little snippet, the changes she's making to her natural face are drastic and clearly meant to make her appear East Asian which is race faking. 

idol status and talent

In her interview mentioned earlier, Svetlana also talks about having been a trainee since 2016 (so for 2 years during the time of the interview) and I guess jumping from small label to small label by the sound of it? In the interview she said that she only recently signed an exclusive contract with the company she was going to be debuting with (Thought Entertainment or Saenggak Ent, or 생각앤터테인먼트), which sounds fishy.  Anyways, the debut never happened. 

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_11.11.10_PM.thu

Screenshot_2019-02-20_at_12.21.48_AM.thu

When I mentioned Svetlana in the General non-Asians pretending to be Asian, I saw that she had changed her bio to include her ad agency, Be Icon, and a relatively new entertainment company, HICC Ent, home of Elvin Crew, a nugu boy group.

But still, her original label, Saenggak, is still claiming her on their IG, and she DID recently appear in their other artist's MV. 

Screenshot_2019-02-20_at_12.39.51_AM.thu

Now there is no company mentioned in her bio.

Anyways, when she appeared on Problematic Men earlier this year, she did a little dance number for them (Ddu Du Ddu Du) and I wanted some dancing experts' opinions, as she said in her interview that she attended a Russian arts high school where she learned to dance very well, although she said her main position in said girl group would be rap (rap was translated to lap):

Screenshot_2019-02-20_at_12.22.01_AM.thu

There are also some dance clips in her youtube teaser vid:

That's all I really have on this girl. Lmk if I'm missing anything and what you think! Is she race-faking, or just trying to make it in a homogeneous country? Will her idol career take off due to her large following, or will her small company status doom her?

OT but if anyone knows anything about Be Icon (@beicon_offical on IG) that would be extremely helpful. From what I've read about them, they're a new start-up ad agency, as in they create advertisements for companies/businesses and Svetlana is one of their models? Their building is extremely fancy though, especially for a new company, and they have a dance studio despite being an ad agency, which seems a little a weird. 

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_9.52.50_PM.thum

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_9.53.07_PM.thum

Edited by Jaken

Posted

Eh... to be fair, to me she looks asian from every angle, with or without makeup, so I wouldn’t call that race faking. She doesn’t fake features she doesn’t have and she openly say she’s Russian (she’s presented as a Russian girl in the instagram post showing her dance).

I don’t know anything about her or dancing or the idol industry in Korea but I find her pretty cute and her danse moves look pretty good to my newb eyes. :alpacacrush:

To me at least, she looks like a typical Eastern European girl when I watch her actually moving and without makeup, which makes her IG photos really deceitful, as I would totally believe that she was 1/2 Korean based on her IG alone. I had a friend who followed her and was under the impression that she was half until she actually watched a show with her on it and didn't recognize Svetlana until they announced her name.

Maybe I wasn't really clear (sorry if I wasn't!!), but many of her Russian and Korean fans know that she's not Korean and is in fact Russian, as most of the news about her that include her ethnicity is in Korean and Russian. There's a lot less clarity for the English and other language communities though, because they're following her because she's pretty and in Korea, not because they've read about her or saw her on a show-- they have no background information and are seeing the "Yoo Ebie / Yoo Svetlana / Yoo Lana" that she had previously set as her name and her very Asian looking photos with Korean captions, so they deduct that she must me Korean. 

She's never lied about her ethnicity, true, but after the airing of an episode she's appeared on or she's just gaining a lot of followers, anything Russian on her IG disappears. It happened with her bio, with her Russian olympic photos, the photos of her friends and family, her Russian captions, etc. She's in a slow season right now though and so the Russian flag has been conveniently been put into her bio again.

Posted (edited)

Biggest reach I have seen today. 

Are you aware a BIG part of Russia is in the Asian continent and considering she's in the far east of Russia there is a big chance she is in fact Asian? This girl looks eurasian to me in every single photo you presented. Even that picture of her as a child, her eyes look the same and yes her mom is white but you don't know what her dad looks like. 

GCcKwlU.thumb.jpg.232d2d6734b8431ec357cbmaryamnyc-feat.thumb.jpg.42a1ac43ae987047917848-1.1024.thumb.jpg.a96637717affb7c 

MaryamNYC and Diana Kurkonova are also Russian, are they trying to look Korean too? 

Edited by Negin

Posted (edited)

@Negin 

In her interview which I screen captured and posted in her summary, she herself says her family is completely white, 100% ethnic Russian but that "her parents have small/Korean eyes" and that's why she looks Asian. In the interview she also speaks about how she had posted both parents photos (which was on her IG maybe a year ago? but they have since been taken down), and yes, as she says, both parents are white Russians (though like Svetlana, her dad has an epicanthal fold in one eye, but he's still very white). I understand that Russia as a country includes many Asians, especially the far eastern reaches, but she is white. The interview is linked if you want to fact check me, but it's in Korean. The google translate is pretty reliable for that question though.

I wouldn't have made a thread on her if I didn't have reliable information to back up any questionable behavior. 

EDIT: I linked the interview under her childhood photo before but here it is again so you don't have to root through the summary. Here's the SC again:

Screenshot_2019-02-19_at_11.14.51_PM.thu

Edited by Jaken

Posted

So the only drama you have on this girl is that you think she's race faking even when she makes it very clears shes 100% Russian? Go back to the non-asians pretending to be Asians thread filled with under aged weebs vendetta posting about other weebs to take their insecurities out on.

Posted

well she lives in korea so of course shes gonna be more koreanized and she said shes 100% russian so i see nothing wrong with that. people just assuming her ethnicity via her insta without doing any research is just their own fault. 

but some of yall need to realise that New Topic Approval threads can be moved to the Online Personalities section not just in the Snowflake sections, so the thread doesnt really need any juicy drama.
tho looking at her ig, she doesnt seem to have much of a presence online either lmao

Posted (edited)

i think she looks super cute and beautiful and she’s hardworking, i support her being a model and variety show star, but not an kpop idol. But probably because of korean beauty trends and her trying to be popular, she started looking like a korean. clearly in her instagram pics she is following the korean aesthetic like most ulzzang would go for. but i wish all the best for her in the entertainment industry. 

Edited by Eeyore

Posted

She looks the same in all the pics tho? She does look mixed but says she is 100% Russian, what is the girl supposed to do? She got popular, saw the money and grabbed it lol

Posted (edited)

So the only drama you have on this girl is that you think she's race faking even when she makes it very clears shes 100% Russian? Go back to the non-asians pretending to be Asians thread filled with under aged weebs vendetta posting about other weebs to take their insecurities out on.

I really don't understand where all this hostility is coming from. I have nothing against her personally -- she actually seems very nice and not really too problematic. I just don't like how hard she tries to look Asian. I realize to some she actually looks like she could be Korean, but to me she just looks like a white Russian. This thread isn't only about that though -- she's beginning a youtube channel and is a possibly (?) up and coming idol that's developed a fair amount of international support, so I thought I'd make her a thread. You can debate any points I've made if you'd like, but I think that was a bit uncalled for.

Anyways, I don't want to clog the thread so I'll put the rest of my response under a spoiler:

The bigger issue to me is that she's taking anything Russian about her and just making it Korean: her name (Svetlana to Yoo Svetlana to Yoo Ebie to Yoo Lana), her style (dying her hair darker and darkening her eye color in photos), etc. Obviously she's going to be assimilating into Korean culture because she lives there and I wish her all success in her entertainment endeavors, but changing your name to be more Korean on a platform where most people supporting you are not Korean just doesn't make sense to me.

I included the "race faking" / constantly changing appearance because when mentioned on a couple other threads and when I looked her up online, plenty of people thought that she was or wasn't: I included pictures so everyone would be able to make their own decisions, and even ended the overview asking people if THEY thought she was race faking or not. Everyone is allowed to think what they'd like; I provided my own opinion and I encourage you to share your own about her even if you disagree. 

Edited by Jaken

Posted

To my understanding, she apparently hasn't been spotted denying her Russian nationality nor even insinuating her white parents had Korean ancestors (*cough* OT but look up "Got7 twins" on PULL and their shoops being excused with "1% Asian heritage" lmao). In that sense, she can't be accused of faking her race. 

Her appearance (from my Slavic pov lol) is quite ambiguous, definitely not stereotypically East-European. That's my interpretation, I'm not denying yours tho. With due respect. 😉 Like Orange said, this girl may be adjusting to local trends to appeal to people in the nearest surroundings. Ending up Asian-passing doesn't necessarily mean she had ill intentions to begin with. 

The controversy would arise though if she suddenly changed the story, with a sudden revelation of her late grandma being a close relative to G-Dragon lol. 👀

Posted

Btw Sakhalin appears to not be her city, but the island she's from. I think it's plausible that she could be ethnically mixed to some degree considering the history of where she's from, though, so I don't think it's fair to say that she's 100% white and is 100% making herself to look east asian. She doesn't appear to shoop herself to look east asian, at least from my perspective. I could just have bad eyes, though :alpacadone: 

Maybe she styles her hair certain ways, maybe she wears colored contacts, maybe she her a certain makeup routine that is on trend in Korean... but those things are all normal considering she lives there? I don't think it's bizarre to presume she's just following said trends considering the emphasis Korea has on your appearance, especially if she is trying to be in media.

I also don't think the name change is super strange. Her Instagram currently has her full name but if we want to talk about her most recent name change... it's easy to argue that it's just a shortening. Eu from Eugenia becomes Yoo and Lana from Svetlana. I don't know where the Ebi would have come from, however. Maybe a name given to her by friends or her company at the time?

All in all, I don't think she's race faking or being disingenuous.

As for her career potential... I mean, she seems to photograph well and has a face that I'd imagine would be easy to market in Korea. Even though her idol debut didn't happen, she could be well off doing editorial work with a small ad company. All it takes sometimes is a good following and the right networking opportunities... But only time will tell :alpacaheadshake:

Posted

Honestly race and ethnicity in humans is so complex, saying “she’s trying to look Asian” is a bit silly bc.. how is she not Asian? Eastern Russia is bordering Asia, most people have at some Asian roots and facial features. Where do we draw the line of what ethnicity someone is? It’s hard to put people into categories. 

As for this girl, all I can say is WOW she looks SO different in her selfies vs the reality shows/videos. Like I wouldn’t have even thought it’s the same person. But tbh it’s not really because she looks more Asian in her selfies... maybe it’s just a lot of editing? Her features are kind of plain, so her face probably looks a lot different depending on what kind of makeup she has on etc, that’s just my guess. 

Posted

Her nose looks surgically altered when viewed from certain angles. Does anyone know if she got any work done?