• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

What's some poets, journalist, novelist that you like?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

What's some of you're favorites?

Posted

Diana Wynne Jones I can't reccomend enough. She mostly does Children's books, but they're terribly mature and requires a lot of analysis since she tends to morph a lot of mythos together for her themes. Popularly known for Howl's Moving Castle, though I think there are better novels to choose from.

Robin McKinley is also nice, though her writing has rather stagnated over the years. Fantasy mostly. Some of my favorites are Deerskin and Sunshine and The Hero and the Crown.

There's also Don Delillo if you're into Fiction and Post-Modernism, and I seriously love Boccaccio and the whole Italian Renaissance phase. I wish I could take the 300 class again, because I never did take it seriously until after I revisited the texts. I despise a lot of pastoral works though, but Boccaccio always stuck with me.   

Posted

I like Rupi Kaur and Lang Leav. I like how their poems are short and simple - well for Rupi anyway.

Posted

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende, Gillian Flynn, Michael Crichton. I think Michael Crichton stuck after reading Jurassic Park when I was young. I'm more into my country's literature now though. #supportlocal. Nick Joaquin, F. Sionil Jose, Conchitina Cruz. I think you can find Joaquin's and Cruz' (she released a pdf of her poetry!) online if you are interested. 

Posted

Jeanette Winterson, Karen Russell, Rawi Hage, Catherynne M. Valente, Madeline Miller, Sylvia Plath, John Gardner.

Posted

Haruki Murakami

Posted (edited)

As I said before the effect of Murakami's books take place mostly in modern Japan. Its heroes are people of the era of globalization and mass culture. If you do not take into account Japanese names, the events of the novels Murakami could happen anywhere. The main characteristic of his artistic universe is cosmopolitanism. I had essay about cosmopolitanism in college which helped me to write check this guys

Edited by kimduhan

Posted

I have been hooked on the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. The main character, Mercy, is s female mechanic, half Native American, skinwalker who transforms into a chayote and is romantically involved with the Alpha of the local werewolf pack. She gets into all sorts of trouble from fairies to vampires to meddling humans! It's great!