• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

2008 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but i was watching HauteLeMode's video about the streamy awards and i didn't know Ashley went there! 

This is her red carpet look. Not a big fan, although the pieces are cute, i don't know how to feel about the silky high waisted pants on her.

Also i would like to see Ashley with her hair tied up or something different aside from her weavy hair and messy bangs. This look would be wayyy better and more classy with another hairstyle in my opinion.

9th-streamy-awards-arrivals-the-beverly-

Posted

oh she looks good, not great, here--glad she wore this and not a babydoll mini dress which imo is ugly. iirc this was one of her looks from her recent fashion vid that I criticized and this was one I actually liked...I think she's just not posing well to show off the outfit. Also really wish she wouldn't make that expression, the half-open mouth thing doesn't work for her imo and if she had just smiled I think it would've looked nicer, and agree I would like to see her try some new looks in terms of hair and makeup. I'm surprised she doesn't take that into account when styling looks because HMU is definitely an important aspect of one's style and some variety would be nice. I would love to see her pay to get her HMU done for a lookbook by a professional, since she DEFINITELY has the money and they would be more likely to experiment.

anyways also to give a little context where Ashley's from in Maryland (Ellicott City) is mainly white but is also known to have a large Korean population. It's generally a wealthy area but she's not far from Baltimore, which is much more of a diverse cultural hub. So it's not like she grew up in Iowa being the only Asian/mixed girl, but it's also not likely she had a strong connection to her Asian roots/a large community there. I would love for Ashley to do some videos on Burmese culture etc since I really don't know anything about it (though not sure if her fanbase would find that interesting...maybe Burmese fashion inspiration?) but I really don't think it's necessary for a single mixed Youtube creator to be the paragon of Asian-ness and if she doesn't feel connected that's fine imo, plus if she only hung out with Asians people would criticize that too. 

Also how is she supposed to sound? What would it be to talk like an Asian person? Literally no clue how she's supposed to talk differently, to me it's not like she puts on an affected accent so idk what that person even meant but I am curious how they wanted Ashley to sound

(Also seeing Ashley's old photos she looks SO different, and even looks more confident? Sadly seems she has regressed in a lot of ways as she's gotten more popular which is a bummer all around)

Posted

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but i was watching HauteLeMode's video about the streamy awards and i didn't know Ashley went there! 

This is her red carpet look. Not a big fan, although the pieces are cute, i don't know how to feel about the silky high waisted pants on her.

Also i would like to see Ashley with her hair tied up or something different aside from her weavy hair and messy bangs. This look would be wayyy better and more classy with another hairstyle in my opinion.

She really needs a new haircut. I know she probably likes the style she has now because it covers up her jawline but I can't stand those bangs. 

Posted

Its funny how hautelemode basically said that she should've dressed up more considering she was nominated for the fashion category. But the thing is, this is how she always dresses. Her outfits are always so basic and underwhelming. Why and how she was even nominated for the fashion category is beyond me, but i guess we all know by now that the streamys are pure trash. 

Oh she definitely has her hair that way to hide her jawline. She honestly looked so classic with her natural brown and straight hair. 

Posted

We already discussed this a few pages ago but I wish we'd stop discussing how Ashley chooses to express or not express her Asian identity. Maybe she identifies first and foremost with being American, since she grew up around white people in Maryland. Ashley is 100% as American as any white person who grew up in the USA and so let's stop judging her for not "talking Asian" or "acting Asian" or whatever. We'd never tell a second-generation Italian-American they don't "look Italian enough" or "talk too American" or whatever so can we leave Ashley be? Like how do you guys want someone who grew up around American fashion, culture, and English language to act?

Second-generation Asian-Americans already have it hard enough. A lot of them already feel guilty for not speaking the same language as their parents, for not knowing the traditions of their heritage, not knowing how to cook authentic Asian food, having too many white friends, etc. This also gets into this weird territory where we never accept Asian-Americans (especially mixed Asians), white people viewing them as "not American enough" and Asians viewing them as "not Asian enough" so they end up rejected from every culture. Ashley is 100% American and any other culture she chooses to identify as is her business, not ours. 

Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of Ashley's videos and social media worth discussing and critiquing, but I don't think the fact that her mom is Asian is something we should be getting on her about? We don't know anything about how Ashley's Asian mom chose to raise her so let's quit blaming her for not fitting our visions of second-generation Asian-Americans. 

I wasn't aware I was supposed to sift through 60 pages of her thread to know that I'm not supposed to talk about her asian identity. I just stated my speculations and have even mentioned reasons that could attribute to how she is such as growing up in a predominantly white area. Also not sure where or why you're bringing her mom up? I wasn't even sure if she was half or not. I am asian-american and can relate a to a lot of those struggles but as an asian-american, seeing those speculations are a reality in the community which is why there is such a thing as asian females dating white guys in order to birth a mixed "cute" baby, or choosing to date only white males because they see asian males as inferior. 

Why do i always have to say this lmao: As long as no one gets off topic, nothing is off limits. Being offended is not a reason to demand someone to not talk about something on here. 

I won't get much into this since ive already talked about it before but there is such a thing as Asian women having a "no dating Asians" policy because they see Asian men as inferior to white or non-asian men. I mean, just look at Lily Maymac's thread. She is fully Asian but she has been so blatantly racist against other Asians in the past and has even lied about being mixed race, which shows the self-hatred she has. Many Asians have that mentality as well as other ethnicities, and even if they are half-white such as Ashley, it doesn't mean they can't hate their Asian part. Jenn Im made a video specifically talking about her experience being Asian-American and how she used to be embarrassed of being Asian and even of having parents who spoke broken English. It's unfortunately a common Asian-American (or Asians in predominantly white countries) experience so I don't know why it seems so radical to even suggest that Ashley, (who has been known to put down other women in order to not feel as insecure about herself and has commented about hiding her Asian features) would have a similar mentality. 

THANK YOU. This is exactly what I am talking about but I guess people just don't want to fathom the idea or possibility when it is such a common and known phenomenon in the asian community. 

Posted

ashley has made a lot of remarks about how she didn't like her asian features (her recent makeup video i believe, she said something about her nose, how she wears eyeliner bc of her eye shape, etc.), and pretty much every guy we've seen her date/been interested so far in has been white. literally all she does is date mediocre white men. she even made jokes about her white frat bf, david, having yellow fever, him liking anime, etc. 

does she have to necessarily talk about her being burmese or show off it being her culture? no, that's a personal thing for her, she can do whatever.

but she's the one who brings up her issues surrounding her being asian and being mixed. from what i've seen, she does have some self hatred in regards to being asian. or at least, she has some kind of self hatred because i could not imagine being constantly attracted to 2/10 white guys and not having issues in some way. 

Yeah, this is what's puzzling me. She states in her video about moving how she was proud to be half-Burmese because it was a cool thing back home but she still hates her features like you said? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Her makeup has changed a lot though. Her eye makeup was a lot heavier when she was in university and as someone here stated before, she contoured her cheeks which are now hidden by her hair. I think she mentioned that she gained weight her freshman year, so I suppose that's why?

Also holy shit her bangs are horrible

makeup.jpg

eyes.JPG

Posted

ashley has made a lot of remarks about how she didn't like her asian features (her recent makeup video i believe, she said something about her nose, how she wears eyeliner bc of her eye shape, etc.), and pretty much every guy we've seen her date/been interested so far in has been white. literally all she does is date mediocre white men. she even made jokes about her white frat bf, david, having yellow fever, him liking anime, etc. 

does she have to necessarily talk about her being burmese or show off it being her culture? no, that's a personal thing for her, she can do whatever.

but she's the one who brings up her issues surrounding her being asian and being mixed. from what i've seen, she does have some self hatred in regards to being asian. or at least, she has some kind of self hatred because i could not imagine being constantly attracted to 2/10 white guys and not having issues in some way. 

Exactly this!

Of course, there's no one way to be "Asian" or Asian-American, and people are free to express their cultural identities however they choose. Being a woman of color is hard, and I imagine that things are even more complicated for people who are multiracial.

When we look at the context of what Ashley has expressed about her Asian side in the past, however, most of it has been either uncomfortable or straight up negative. She has talked about wanting to look less Asian, and regarding yellow fever and fetishization, Ashley has literally said something along these lines in one of her videos: "I'm only really a 6/10, but I become an 8/10 to mediocre White men who love anime"

It's a very iffy thing to say, even as a joke. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with interracial dating, but when you acknowledge something as harmful as fetishization but play it off as humorous (and I don't even think she was joking), it almost sounds like she's accepting or endorsing it.

I won't get much into this since ive already talked about it before but there is such a thing as Asian women having a "no dating Asians" policy because they see Asian men as inferior to white or non-asian men. I mean, just look at Lily Maymac's thread. She is fully Asian but she has been so blatantly racist against other Asians in the past and has even lied about being mixed race, which shows the self-hatred she has. Many Asians have that mentality as well as other ethnicities, and even if they are half-white such as Ashley, it doesn't mean they can't hate their Asian part. Jenn Im made a video specifically talking about her experience being Asian-American and how she used to be embarrassed of being Asian and even of having parents who spoke broken English. It's unfortunately a common Asian-American (or Asians in predominantly white countries) experience so I don't know why it seems so radical to even suggest that Ashley, (who has been known to put down other women in order to not feel as insecure about herself and has commented about hiding her Asian features) would have a similar mentality. 

This is a good thing to bring up, because while there's absolutely nothing wrong with interracial dating, in the context of Asian Americans and race, there are a lot of difficulties that come up. Not every Asian girl who dates a white guy has "internalized racism". Sometimes people just fall in love with who they happen to fall in love with, and that's how things work out. I'm Asian-American myself, and I know of many healthy relationships between White men and Asian women.

What we're talking about, however, is a different issue - people like LilyMayMac who ONLY go after White guys, who actively exclude partners with darker skin (colorism) or who are Asian like themselves (internalized racism), or treat mixed white babies as "exotic prizes" to chase after. There's a difference between having a healthy relationship that happens to be interracial as opposed to operating under racial quotas, complying with fetishization, or placing White people on a pedestal.

lilyyyy.thumb.png.388fdbd031cfca156bf7eb

lily3.thumb.png.875975a6d727d4d957af1a83

Or this other Asian lifestyle guru, who basically said it was her goal in life to marry a White guy and have "White babies".

mich.thumb.jpg.af0d768ae23c0b33a5b6b2555

Of course, I'm not suggesting that Ashley is 100% one of these people who dated David due to self-hatred. The reality of things is just that a lot of Asian-Americans struggle with things like desirability, relationships, and belonging in a society that others us, and sometimes we can really internalize negative stereotypes and even misdirect that onto other Asians.

Asian-American gender politics are a sad mix of fetishization and emasculation. That's why you see many Asian girls who only date White guys, or who think that Asian men aren't as "masculine" or desirable as their White counterparts. The fetishization issue is why Asian women get disproportionately stalked, attacked, and oversexualized. It's partially why Asian men are statistically considered the least attractive men in America, and why there are over 200% more Asian women marrying White men than Asian men marrying White women.

And it affects all of us, whether we're aware of it or not.

Posted

Exactly this!

Of course, there's no one way to be "Asian" or Asian-American, and people are free to express their cultural identities however they choose. Being a woman of color is hard, and I imagine that things are even more complicated for people who are multiracial.

When we look at the context of what Ashley has expressed about her Asian side in the past, however, most of it has been either uncomfortable or straight up negative. She has talked about wanting to look less Asian, and regarding yellow fever and fetishization, Ashley has literally said something along these lines in one of her videos: "I'm only really a 6/10, but I become an 8/10 to mediocre White men who love anime"

It's a very iffy thing to say, even as a joke. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with interracial dating, but when you acknowledge something as harmful as fetishization but play it off as humorous (and I don't even think she was joking), it almost sounds like she's accepting or endorsing it.

This is a good thing to bring up, because while there's absolutely nothing wrong with interracial dating, in the context of Asian Americans and race, there are a lot of difficulties that come up. Not every Asian girl who dates a white guy has "internalized racism". Sometimes people just fall in love with who they happen to fall in love with, and that's how things work out. I'm Asian-American myself, and I know of many healthy relationships between White men and Asian women.

What we're talking about, however, is a different issue - people like LilyMayMac who ONLY go after White guys, who actively exclude partners with darker skin (colorism) or who are Asian like themselves (internalized racism), or treat mixed white babies as "exotic prizes" to chase after. There's a difference between having a healthy relationship that happens to be interracial as opposed to operating under racial quotas, complying with fetishization, or placing White people on a pedestal.

Hidden Content

Or this other Asian lifestyle guru, who basically said it was her goal in life to marry a White guy and have "White babies".

Hidden Content

Of course, I'm not suggesting that Ashley is 100% one of these people who dated David due to self-hatred. The reality of things is just that a lot of Asian-Americans struggle with things like desirability, relationships, and belonging in a society that others us, and sometimes we can really internalize negative stereotypes and even misdirect that onto other Asians.

Asian-American gender politics are a sad mix of fetishization and emasculation. That's why you see many Asian girls who only date White guys, or who think that Asian men aren't as "masculine" or desirable as their White counterparts. The fetishization issue is why Asian women get disproportionately stalked, attacked, and oversexualized. It's partially why Asian men are statistically considered the least attractive men in America, and why there are over 200% more Asian women marrying White men than Asian men marrying White women.

And it affects all of us, whether we're aware of it or not.

Thank you for bringing these points up! Everyone seemed to heavily hate on my last post but THIS is exactly what I am alluding too. Though we can't know for sure if she has any internalized issues with her ethnicity, I don't think we can entirely rule out the possibility given the many small but degrading comments she makes about anything asian and her dating life. She is also very young and others have depicted her as being fairly immature for her age.

I really think she just learned how to "walk" in the real world. Her awkward persona might be just her not having much experience socializing or forming relationships with others. That being said, she seems to be lost and she probably is at that age, especially as a youtuber, who doesn't know herself yet. So if she doesn't know herself, she is not going to know about or openly express any internalized issues with her ethnicity. A lot of people have preferences, yes, but my point is, it could be something she just subconsciously does to overcompensate for something else... whether that be to be more connected with her white side, to feel more confident- superior or cool, etc. 

Posted

her outfit for the streamys was awful im especially tired of seeing that bustier top it doesnt suit ( but i also personally dont like that trend so..) her at all also if ur going to wear all black at least get the fabrics to compliment each other. deadass when i first saw the picture i thought it was sleepwear/pajamas. 

also her hairstyle needs to be changed now since the bangs dont suit her especially the choppy look she has when trying to replicate the manic pixie dream girl summer it works for her since all her hair is thick the bangs and length match and it looks put together aka CLEAN

on ashley she has stringy looking choppy bangs and medium/thick hair length as if trying to be natural but it ends up looking sloppy and looking like bed hair imo. It reminds me of the awful clip ons selena gomez had

z2.jpg

z.jpg

jj.jpeg

aa.png

as.jpeg

Posted

Why am I not surprised?

80CEEBA5-ADC9-4597-B773-FC0714930FA0.thu

23DACD02-385A-4FD5-AB0C-853F8A4709D1.thu

Posted

Is ashley selling her PR on depop? not sure if this is really her depop page but I doubt a non-influencer would be receiving milk makeup PR. also the last pic looks like her fingernail, which she has said she bites often.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.26.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.26.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.26.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 2.27.40 AM.png

Posted

Why am I not surprised?

80CEEBA5-ADC9-4597-B773-FC0714930FA0.thu

23DACD02-385A-4FD5-AB0C-853F8A4709D1.thu

yeah that's what happens when you make decissions flipping a coin

Posted

I know it's everyone's own choice as to what they do but I think it's very low to resell PR producets... I've seen many youtube chanels just give it away or actually use/keep it themselves... I guess I just have problems with someone selling something they got for free

ESPECIALLY when she makes bank with her videos+sponshorships. its obvious to me she makes crazy crazy crazy amounts of money just from youtube, she doesn't need $21 extra

like cmon now girl, just do a giveaway

has she ever done one?