• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

1884 posts in this topic

Posted

^^ lmfao y’all seen this yet?

1D85DD43-1197-414E-A26A-B6CFCA5D3772.jpeg

oh honey but you ARE still stuck in your high school bedroom daydreaming...

Honestly I can't wait for her to move to NY so she can finally realize "well sh*t....things AREN'T like on SATC or Gossip Girl, they're worse" lol I dunno is it cruel of me to look forward to that downfall?

Posted (edited)

lol I dunno is it cruel of me to look forward to that downfall?

nah, everyone on this thread is waiting for her inevitable downfall and pre-midlife crisis. Some of us are just better at admitting it.

I can’t wait for her “exposed” videos that will be titled something like “the truth about Ashley aka Besdressed”. Her worshippers will be in denial or totally surprised and I will just be here drinking my tea 🍵 I have lost any shred of respect I had for her, if I even had it lmao. The only salvageable things about her (more so the things that whiteknights always bring up to defend her character) are basic things that everyone does. Everything else is fake, arrogant, misogynistic,  exaggerated, cringe, and overly sexualized. She needs a wake up call. 

She even says that she is finally fulfilling her dream of living in New York like she "always" wanted. Bitch, you are rich as fuck, you chose, at 17 years old to go to one of the most expensive universities of the country, and now you're acting like you're this rising artist with new money who is finally able to move to her dream city? ugh

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

oh honey but you ARE still stuck in your high school bedroom daydreaming...

Honestly I can't wait for her to move to NY so she can finally realize "well sh*t....things AREN'T like on SATC or Gossip Girl, they're worse" lol I dunno is it cruel of me to look forward to that downfall?

and then she'll announce she'll be moving to another city lmfaooooo 

Posted

I'm a new sub of hers. I watched her recent moving to NY or whatever video and actually liked that she was open about her sexuality but as I watched more of her videos and went to check out her PULL, I was soon disappointed lol She became more and more annoying at how open she was but it wasn't the point of her being open about her sexuality that was annoying, it was that she was coming off as doing it to BRAG about it and awkwardly at that. And come to find out she doesn't have much experience with relationships made it worse. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if she did or almost did cheat on her ex... just because of how loosely and open she views sex... but also how 24/7 horny she makes herself out to be. Some people like being in open relationships, and maybe she hasn't explored that option? 

I don't blame her for wanting to leave LA (at least downtown and the city area) as it can be tiresome to live around all the fakeness that all the other youtubers had to deal with. I've lived in "LA" but LA is composed of so many neighborhoods and areas that it's hard to talk about LA as being such and such like how she did. She might have been better living in the suburb areas or the lesser known areas that aren't downtown LA or close to Hollywood. 

Something else I've noticed being a new viewer is that she looks "part asian" but at the same time, seems like one of those half asian girls who grew up wanting to be white. A part of this is also attributed to how she "sounds white." If anyone knows, was she adopted or is she half white? But also, I think I heard she grew up in a state that was most likely predominantly white... Someone also mentioned her possibly being one of those asian girls who glorifies white guys. Idk if she is... but let me tell you, that is a REAL thing in the asian community and is often a part of internalized self hatred/racism. A lot of those girls say that's their preference, but don't realize it's often deeper than that. TBH she reminds me of Jenn Im in how lost she seems and how unaware and out of touch she is with herself and reality. If anyone has read Jenn's gurugossip page, you will know people have took note on her internalized racism growing up and need to seem white to fit in...(her hipster phase) but also dating a lot of white guys. 

Posted (edited)

I'm a new sub of hers. I watched her recent moving to NY or whatever video and actually liked that she was open about her sexuality but as I watched more of her videos and went to check out her PULL, I was soon disappointed lol She became more and more annoying at how open she was but it wasn't the point of her being open about her sexuality that was annoying, it was that she was coming off as doing it to BRAG about it and awkwardly at that. And come to find out she doesn't have much experience with relationships made it worse. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if she did or almost did cheat on her ex... just because of how loosely and open she views sex... but also how 24/7 horny she makes herself out to be. Some people like being in open relationships, and maybe she hasn't explored that option? 

I don't blame her for wanting to leave LA (at least downtown and the city area) as it can be tiresome to live around all the fakeness that all the other youtubers had to deal with. I've lived in "LA" but LA is composed of so many neighborhoods and areas that it's hard to talk about LA as being such and such like how she did. She might have been better living in the suburb areas or the lesser known areas that aren't downtown LA or close to Hollywood. 

Something else I've noticed being a new viewer is that she looks "part asian" but at the same time, seems like one of those half asian girls who grew up wanting to be white. A part of this is also attributed to how she "sounds white." If anyone knows, was she adopted or is she half white? But also, I think I heard she grew up in a state that was most likely predominantly white... Someone also mentioned her possibly being one of those asian girls who glorifies white guys. Idk if she is... but let me tell you, that is a REAL thing in the asian community and is often a part of internalized self hatred/racism. A lot of those girls say that's their preference, but don't realize it's often deeper than that. TBH she reminds me of Jenn Im in how lost she seems and how unaware and out of touch she is with herself and reality. If anyone has read Jenn's gurugossip page, you will know people have took note on her internalized racism growing up and need to seem white to fit in...(her hipster phase) but also dating a lot of white guys. 

she includes in every video description that she is half-british, half-burmese. her father is british and her mother is burmese. they're both established and successful academics in their respective fields. ashley grew up in a wealthy suburban neighborhood in maryland, near baltimore. she's stated herself that mixed kids were common in her community, but i can't confirm this myself ofc. i try to remain out of conversations about ashley's purported internalised racism and i of course do not represent the entire asian community or whatever, but as an asian myself who grew up in los angeles, i just have to clarify - i too sound "white"/like a typical LA native (???) because i was literally born and raised here? and attended english-speaking american schools? just like how ashley did in maryland? i don't know what else you expect her to sound like.  

Edited by champagneglass
am just a bit tired over outsiders acting like the authority on the asian community lol

Posted

On that note, I honestly think her Asian features pop out more in her older videos. She looks really different, I guess it's the makeup/hair and maybe the loss of the baby fat on her cheeks? (I can't get great screencaps, sorry 'bout that)

ashley.JPG

ashley2.JPG

Posted

On that note, I honestly think her Asian features pop out more in her older videos. She looks really different, I guess it's the makeup/hair and maybe the loss of the baby fat on her cheeks? (I can't get great screencaps, sorry 'bout that)

ashley.JPG

ashley2.JPG

wow she looks STUNNING in the second picture, dark straight hair really compliment her face in my opinion

Posted

wow she looks STUNNING in the second picture, dark straight hair really compliment her face in my opinion

she really looks nice when she's not cringing at how awkward she is to try to appeal ReLaTaBLe

Posted

Someone also mentioned her possibly being one of those asian girls who glorifies white guys. Idk if she is... but let me tell you, that is a REAL thing in the asian community and is often a part of internalized self hatred/racism. A lot of those girls say that's their preference, but don't realize it's often deeper than that. 

I mean some people just have preferences, some people prefer what they grow up around. If they grew up with mostly white people, chances are, they are just attracted to what they are used to.

It can go the other way too, I grew up with mostly black people in my school so I am attracted to white guys because it's rare for me, but that doesn't mean other races aren't attractive.  (theres beautiful/ugly people in all races lol)

It's only a problem when you fetishize the fuck out of them. It's like that yellow fever thinking about how asian girls are submissive & thats why you would want to date them rather the fact you just met them, fell for them and they happen to be asian etc.

Posted (edited)

We already discussed this a few pages ago but I wish we'd stop discussing how Ashley chooses to express or not express her Asian identity. Maybe she identifies first and foremost with being American, since she grew up around white people in Maryland. Ashley is 100% as American as any white person who grew up in the USA and so let's stop judging her for not "talking Asian" or "acting Asian" or whatever. We'd never tell a second-generation Italian-American they don't "look Italian enough" or "talk too American" or whatever so can we leave Ashley be? Like how do you guys want someone who grew up around American fashion, culture, and English language to act?

Second-generation Asian-Americans already have it hard enough. A lot of them already feel guilty for not speaking the same language as their parents, for not knowing the traditions of their heritage, not knowing how to cook authentic Asian food, having too many white friends, etc. This also gets into this weird territory where we never accept Asian-Americans (especially mixed Asians), white people viewing them as "not American enough" and Asians viewing them as "not Asian enough" so they end up rejected from every culture. Ashley is 100% American and any other culture she chooses to identify as is her business, not ours. 

Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of Ashley's videos and social media worth discussing and critiquing, but I don't think the fact that her mom is Asian is something we should be getting on her about? We don't know anything about how Ashley's Asian mom chose to raise her so let's quit blaming her for not fitting our visions of second-generation Asian-Americans. 

Why do i always have to say this lmao: As long as no one gets off topic, nothing is off limits. Being offended is not a reason to demand someone to not talk about something on here. 

I won't get much into this since ive already talked about it before but there is such a thing as Asian women having a "no dating Asians" policy because they see Asian men as inferior to white or non-asian men. I mean, just look at Lily Maymac's thread. She is fully Asian but she has been so blatantly racist against other Asians in the past and has even lied about being mixed race, which shows the self-hatred she has. Many Asians have that mentality as well as other ethnicities, and even if they are half-white such as Ashley, it doesn't mean they can't hate their Asian part. Jenn Im made a video specifically talking about her experience being Asian-American and how she used to be embarrassed of being Asian and even of having parents who spoke broken English. It's unfortunately a common Asian-American (or Asians in predominantly white countries) experience so I don't know why it seems so radical to even suggest that Ashley, (who has been known to put down other women in order to not feel as insecure about herself and has commented about hiding her Asian features) would have a similar mentality. 

ashley.JPG

ashley2.JPG

Anyways, this is more of my observation but having a wide face in many Asian countries is not seen as attractive even though its a common Asian feature. I think one of the features Ashley tried to hide or minimize with makeup was her wide face (notice she used to contour her cheeks a lot more) and its also why she has lost so much weight; to look more "white".  Its sad because i actually think she looked better before having blonde highlights. (Does anyone notice that she used to be full on blonde but now she only has blonde highlights?) Something that makes me think that she sees herself as more white or that she is trying to look more white is when she acted all weirded out when people in London asked her where she's from.... ummm, maybe its because you don't look like a typical English person and because you look totally Asian? Its almost like she was insulted that English people don't automatically see her as English based on her appearance. 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted (edited)

We already discussed this a few pages ago but I wish we'd stop discussing how Ashley chooses to express or not express her Asian identity. Maybe she identifies first and foremost with being American, since she grew up around white people in Maryland. Ashley is 100% as American as any white person who grew up in the USA and so let's stop judging her for not "talking Asian" or "acting Asian" or whatever. We'd never tell a second-generation Italian-American they don't "look Italian enough" or "talk too American" or whatever so can we leave Ashley be? Like how do you guys want someone who grew up around American fashion, culture, and English language to act?

Second-generation Asian-Americans already have it hard enough. A lot of them already feel guilty for not speaking the same language as their parents, for not knowing the traditions of their heritage, not knowing how to cook authentic Asian food, having too many white friends, etc. This also gets into this weird territory where we never accept Asian-Americans (especially mixed Asians), white people viewing them as "not American enough" and Asians viewing them as "not Asian enough" so they end up rejected from every culture. Ashley is 100% American and any other culture she chooses to identify as is her business, not ours. 

Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of Ashley's videos and social media worth discussing and critiquing, but I don't think the fact that her mom is Asian is something we should be getting on her about? We don't know anything about how Ashley's Asian mom chose to raise her so let's quit blaming her for not fitting our visions of second-generation Asian-Americans. 

piggybacking off of your comment/as an asian-american who was born here, i can barely relate with my cousins of the same age who were born in asia, and it all depends on a lot of things like family dynamics, and whether they view their culture/heritage/ethnicity as an important part of their identity. i grew up in a predominantly black neighbourhood and didn't make a solid group of asian friends until junior high. i didn't even see "being asian" as important until i was in university and explored it on my own. my parents are super proud of being chinese, but they didn't push those things down my throat so that i could regurgitate it every time someone asked me to... that's a little contradictory - to tell someone to be proud and talk about their "otherness" in order to prove their "otherness"

its easy to generalize and say that as children of immigrants, its important to embrace the "foreign" side of yourself, but there are many people out there who don't focus on it at all... just because ashley doesn't "act/talk asian" doesn't mean that she's not proud of that side (what does that even mean anyway??). i think a point of influence would be her being mixed, because she's doing everything that other youtubers in LA are doing... and i can name at least a handful of asian youtubers off the top of my head who have never talked about their cultures. does that mean that those asian youtubers want to be white? no.

her dating white men can also come from being raised around more white people than asian people and that's what she's more comfortable with... tbh all interracial relationships could have their own societal reasonings/theories for dynamics (why asian women date white men, why asian men date white women, why black men date white women, etc.)

on the other hand, i totally get and understand other people's povs, but its important to think about ashley (and people in general) as an individual and not completely a cookie-cutter stereotype

Edited by yams

Posted

Why do i always have to say this lmao: As long as no one gets off topic, nothing is off limits. Being offended is not a reason to demand someone to not talk about something on here. 

Dude, I didn't "demand" anyone to not talk about anything, but if you think it's fair to critique Ashley about her cultural identity I think it's fair for me and some others to defend her cultural identity. Just because this is a gossip site doesn't mean we aren't ever allowed to defend anyone's actions. (Also I'm not "offended," I'm not Asian myself but I grew around a lot of Asian-American friends so I try to stay in touch with their cultural issues. Please don't go putting words into my mouth.)

From what I can tell, some people have an issue with Ashley because... she dates white guys? She doesn't have an Asian accent despite growing up in Maryland and speaking fluent English? Her new hairstyle makes her look more white when she's as much white as she is Asian?

I just really feel like some of y'all are getting into this territory of wanting to put all Asian-Americans in a box and expect them to act in a specific way and if they don't do that suddenly they have "internalized racism" or something. Like okay, speculate all you want, but I'm still going to stick up for her. She's had her fair share of problematic behavior but acting like a regular 21 year old American girl isn't problematic, and having 1 public relationship with 1 white guy isn't problematic.

If at some point she actually says something to imply she has an issue with Asian people then by all means we should discuss it but as far as I can tell now, we are tearing apart an second-generation American girl for not very much at all. I'd really like if society would just let Asian-Americans be for a moment without declaring them too Asian/not Asian enough/not American enough/acting white/whatever. I'm entitled to that opinion and I'm allowed to refute opinions I disagree with, sorry. 

Posted

honestly feel like the bangs that she's now had for a year or so really do not compliment her looks