• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

1490 posts in this topic

Posted

Everytime I see stuff she buys, I think how privileged americans are. $600 is literally more than a minimum wage here where I live.

Posted

this one youtube I watch and follow does do a lot of fast fashion and luxury brands because she has a lot of money outside of youtube. today she posted this on my story and it showed me how real and honest these influencers should be. we are all adults and grow up in the same world. we know how the brand deals can wave a nice price amount and you feel obligated to take it. I respect her with being honest and upfront with us. I wish ashley could do the same. especially with the large following she has. she should pick a side of what she’s trying to do. like we get it, everyone has to eat and bills to pay- but don’t box yourself into something that you can’t do. it’s okay if you can’t be sustainable but she’s the only person who put that label on herself and now that we expect her to follow through with it, she can’t. i’m sorry but the amazon thing rubbed me the wrong way the most. amazon is a terrible company! and we all know this. I understand these fashion brands because that’s her field of career and all but amazon?! all of these brands and you decide amazon? might as well have done fashion nova

E0689CD2-8744-4DB9-84FC-AC016BB5EE9F.png

Posted (edited)

this one youtube I watch and follow does do a lot of fast fashion and luxury brands because she has a lot of money outside of youtube. today she posted this on my story and it showed me how real and honest these influencers should be. we are all adults and grow up in the same world. we know how the brand deals can wave a nice price amount and you feel obligated to take it. I respect her with being honest and upfront with us. I wish ashley could do the same. especially with the large following she has. she should pick a side of what she’s trying to do. like we get it, everyone has to eat and bills to pay- but don’t box yourself into something that you can’t do. it’s okay if you can’t be sustainable but she’s the only person who put that label on herself and now that we expect her to follow through with it, she can’t. i’m sorry but the amazon thing rubbed me the wrong way the most. amazon is a terrible company! and we all know this. I understand these fashion brands because that’s her field of career and all but amazon?! all of these brands and you decide amazon? might as well have done fashion nova

E0689CD2-8744-4DB9-84FC-AC016BB5EE9F.png

Meh, while I appreciate that an influencer tries to be more ethical and sustainable with their purchases, it’s still very hypocritical. This comment on Ashley’s thread on guru gossip sums up perfectly what I am talking about: 

CA6873E5-444A-454C-B04D-6390EA9B2043.jpeg

I don't know about that specific youtuber who posted that story but Ashley is a known hypocrite so who knows if she will actually rid herself of her "sustainable hero" title once and for all or continue trying desperately to have her cake and eat it too. 

Edited by DreamyCat
I'm sorry for always being the party pooper i know lol

Posted

Meh, while I appreciate that an influencer tries to be more ethical and sustainable with their purchases, it’s still very hypocritical. This comment on Ashley’s thread on guru gossip sums up perfectly what I am talking about: 

CA6873E5-444A-454C-B04D-6390EA9B2043.jpeg

I don't know about that specific youtuber who posted that story but Ashley is a known hypocrite so who knows if she will actually rid herself of her "sustainable hero" title once and for all or continue trying desperately to have her cake and eat it too. 

she’s pretty honest. she has nothing to hide and she’s just super chill and goes to school and hangs out with her friends. ofc, I will see if she plays it out and goes through but at least she realized what she did wasn’t the best and wants to try and work on it. she doesn’t label herself in any box unlike ashley. my point in posting that was to say how easy it is to just be upfront with your audience, that’s all. and if you fail at that, either be honest and say it didn’t work out or just try and stick it through. my thing with ashley is she won’t just be upfront and realize she’s not what she says she is. but I totally understand what you’re saying! also that screenshot of what ashley said.. do better. she knows good and well all those brand she’s predominantly shops from isnt sustainable. no one forced her to shop there. it was her own doing. if she wants urban so much there are plenty of thrift/second hand and resellers selling stuff so she can find it. also if she just found a perfect balance. like it’s okay to have some fast fashion but then balance that out with more thrift second hand. she has the funds to really have a great wardrobe and she doesn’t take advantage of it. I wish!

dress.thumb.JPG.2cdd35c0ddf133b99c5b70dc

whattttt.thumb.JPG.992b3f629e8162aee784d

She should stop it with the "broke college girl" persona. The girl has money. Buying $600 boots and other expensive af $200 reformation dresses, and then complaining that a $60 vintage dress is too expensive? Please.

I think she’s trying so hard to be that relatable trend that literally died with emma chamberlain and all the other girls many months ago. you can’t be “relatable” when you can shop luxury brands and travel 24/7 and not work paycheck to paycheck like some of us broke college students. $600 on boots? i treated myself to dr. martens that we’re $180 and I felt guilty doing that but it was a great investment that I know will last. those boots she has are actually hideous and she could’ve saved her money or spent it on something a lot more cuter. also i’m not sure why she has to crop everything into super short length. she’s going to turn that beautiful vintage piece into some terrible forever21 party section dress. it’s different to hem it to your figure and body type but shortening it just makes it look cheap

Posted

she’s pretty honest. she has nothing to hide and she’s just super chill and goes to school and hangs out with her friends. ofc, I will see if she plays it out and goes through but at least she realized what she did wasn’t the best and wants to try and work on it. she doesn’t label herself in any box unlike ashley. my point in posting that was to say how easy it is to just be upfront with your audience, that’s all. and if you fail at that, either be honest and say it didn’t work out or just try and stick it through. my thing with ashley is she won’t just be upfront and realize she’s not what she says she is. but I totally understand what you’re saying! also that screenshot of what ashley said.. do better. she knows good and well all those brand she’s predominantly shops from isnt sustainable. no one forced her to shop there. it was her own doing. if she wants urban so much there are plenty of thrift/second hand and resellers selling stuff so she can find it. also if she just found a perfect balance. like it’s okay to have some fast fashion but then balance that out with more thrift second hand. she has the funds to really have a great wardrobe and she doesn’t take advantage of it. I wish!

I think she’s trying so hard to be that relatable trend that literally died with emma chamberlain and all the other girls many months ago. you can’t be “relatable” when you can shop luxury brands and travel 24/7 and not work paycheck to paycheck like some of us broke college students. $600 on boots? i treated myself to dr. martens that we’re $180 and I felt guilty doing that but it was a great investment that I know will last. those boots she has are actually hideous and she could’ve saved her money or spent it on something a lot more cuter. also i’m not sure why she has to crop everything into super short length. she’s going to turn that beautiful vintage piece into some terrible forever21 party section dress. it’s different to hem it to your figure and body type but shortening it just makes it look cheap

Don't feel guilty for treating yourself! If it was a needed treat, then pat yourself on the back! You saved more money in the long run, which a lot of people don't think about when making purchases. I understand that people can't afford certain brands out the gate, but if you save up, you will eventually build a wardrobe that is quality without being wasteful.

Posted

i found her channel about a year ago. i've been subscribed to her for most of it (i'm indecisive, okay? :(

i like her tips for styling outfits but the closet clear out video that she posted ages ago now really made me feel some kind of way. i haven't gone through 49 pages (jesus, guys) of this thread but i agree with what i've seen people say re: her making a ton of sex jokes being kind of annoying and i agree that she's pretty hypocritical

i like her enough to keep watching her tho, even if i think the sex jokes remind me of being a teenager surrounded by stupid, horny boys; i'm there for her clothing styling tips, not so much her personality anymore. i feel like i disconnected with her when she posted that cereal for 1m subscribers video lol

Posted (edited)

Also, she used to try and hide her Asian features; it's not something she still does. Her choice on her identity is her business. 

Commenting on how "plump" her face used to be is fucking weird lol

She's been progressively losing weight, she has said that she is "relatively skinny" when she is actually very skinny, has commented on planning to alter her clothes so they fit tighter (meaning that she has no plans to gain weight), and how she felt bad about how her ribcage will probably not get any smaller. 

I'm sorry but facial hollowness (AKA loss of plumpness to the face) is very common in ED's. Her comments, her loss of body and facial weight, as well as knowing that she has a sister with an ED, and her obvious issues with self-esteem and body image lead me to believe she is not having healthy eating habits. I'm sorry if you don't like the word "plump". Let's use the word "fullness" then if it will please you. And since when is speaking about her identity not allowed on here? We are clearly being all up in her business in everything else on here, why is this off limits? I don't see any sign that she doesn't hide her Asian features anymore. In fact, if you look at her videos from before, she wears a lot more makeup now.

Anyways, she posted today a video of her painting. She is actually fairly decent at painting, not gonna lie(the edges of the girl were messed up but she did admit it wasn't perfect so i'll give her that), but god, I already knew what the comments were going to say "omg is there anything Ashley can't do?" lol 

One comment that she made that caught my attention towards the end of the video was this "it has just been really really nice to make something that i wasn't afraid people were gonna judge me for, that i wasn't trying to sell or market in a certain way"....  is she alluding to her amazon ad and the "judgement" she received for it? Because if it is, hon, no one pointed a gun to your head to force you to do an ad with them after basing your whole persona on sustainability. Its not judgement, Ashley, its people calling you out for your bullshit. 

She also said that no one has hobbies anymore... now, i understand that she has no friends and only talks to her camera, an inanimate object so she has no idea what normal functioning people do in their spare time but jesus, does she honestly believe that most people, even people who are constantly working, don't have hobbies and passions that they pursue in their spare time? Just because she overworks herself for no reason and does god knows what in her spare time it doesn't mean everyone is the same. 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

She also said that no one has hobbies anymore... now, i understand that she has no friends and only talks to her camera, an inanimate object so she has no idea what normal functioning people do in their spare time but jesus, does she honestly believe that most people, even people who are constantly working, don't have hobbies and passions that they pursue in their spare time? Just because she overworks herself for no reason and does god knows what in her spare time it doesn't mean everyone is the same. 

hurrdurr im not like da other girls

bruh im pretty sure 95% of the people on this planet have hobbies, even the simplest things can be hobbies or passions 
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Posted (edited)

hurrdurr im not like da other girls

bruh im pretty sure 95% of the people on this planet have hobbies, even the simplest things can be hobbies or passions 
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I know right!! Go take a walk in a pretty park, have a picnic, go to a cute coffee shop and read a book, take a drive and look at rich people's homes (since she loves taking picture's in stranger's  doorsteps this might be a good one for her XD), take sewing classes, cook or bake, volunteer at an animal's shelter, write a casual, everyday diary (without making it all about planning) the possibilities are endless.

Writing this comment and taking into account something else that she said on her painting video of how she feels the need to monetize everything has made me understand why she has no hobbies and why she can never enjoy anything. If she goes to a cute coffee shop, she has to bring her laptop and edit a video. If she looks at a house that she thinks is beautiful, she has to walk into the doorstep and take a picture for instagram. If she has to sew something, she has to record it for a video. If she picks up a paintbrush for the first time in 4 years she has to record it too. (I doubt she will make another paint with me since she knows her painting is nothing revolutionary and will just be repetitive. She said that it took her 12 hours in total to paint it and since she is always so "busy" who knows if she will actually paint again) She can never do anything for herself because she is always thinking about the potential monetization and profit of it. If she can't profit off of something, either for instagram or youtube, she won't do it. She can't go to a coffee shop and just read a book or enjoy the scenery, she can't look at cute houses without taking a picture, etc. Which just leaves her holed up in her room thinking of what else she can do to earn money. I think this is why she is always talking about her "hustle" and how much she works because in her mind, everything is work work work. This video seems to me as her way of telling everyone that she is looking for a hobby, which is another thing she can't keep to herself to enjoy exploring her possibilities on her own. 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted (edited)

I subscribed to Ashley because I liked her thrift videos. I liked the “relatable” part of being able to be fashionable even with just spending $10 on your whole outfit. It made me feel like she was just like me.

The last time I watched one of her videos regularly was when she was still together with her boyfriend. Her self-hating and sex jokes made me lose interest but she really isn’t a relatable YouTuber anymore. 

Spending 600 dollars on ugly shoes isn’t relatable. 

27AEC014-E207-4206-9C6F-2E6B6E7AAE5F.thu

She posted this on her story a while back because “so many people were asking where it’s from”. I thought the sweater was cute and expected it to be like maybe 20 dollars??? It was 65 dollars... Idk. I liked Ashley because it felt like she could be a friend of mine but the more bigger she got the more she fell out of the relatable category.

+ I don’t expect her to be the“I’m so poor” kind of person. Just someone who understands her audience and why they subscribed in the first place. 

+ I guess Im trying to say that her content was thrift videos + thrift flips to recreate expensive brand. Her content catered to young teens so when you advertise pricey clothing it’s just ??? 

Edited by Kenodoxia

Posted

I was honestly surprised when she said she didn’t have hobbies. I mean her job is literally her supposed hobby (film, video editing, fashion, etc) and she gets paid good money for it - a luxury not everyone can have. idk that part just felt a little off putting to me, as I’ve seen people ditch their passions to pursue careers in stem or medicine because they don’t get enough pay.

besides that, she seems to enjoy painting from what I could tell in the video & it was nice to see her having a good time. 

I am still disappointed about the whole amazon fiasco, though. thought she’d have the integrity to address it by now :/

Posted (edited)

She's been progressively losing weight, she has said that she is "relatively skinny" when she is actually very skinny, has commented on planning to alter her clothes so they fit tighter (meaning that she has no plans to gain weight), and how she felt bad about how her ribcage will probably not get any smaller. 

I'm sorry but facial hollowness (AKA loss of plumpness to the face) is very common in ED's. Her comments, her loss of body and facial weight, as well as knowing that she has a sister with an ED, and her obvious issues with self-esteem and body image lead me to believe she is not having healthy eating habits. I'm sorry if you don't like the word "plump". Let's use the word "fullness" then if it will please you. And since when is speaking about her identity not allowed on here? We are clearly being all up in her business in everything else on here, why is this off limits? I don't see any sign that she doesn't hide her Asian features anymore. In fact, if you look at her videos from before, she wears a lot more makeup now.

Anyways, she posted today a video of her painting. She is actually fairly decent at painting, not gonna lie(the edges of the girl were messed up but she did admit it wasn't perfect so i'll give her that), but god, I already knew what the comments were going to say "omg is there anything Ashley can't do?" lol 

One comment that she made that caught my attention towards the end of the video was this "it has just been really really nice to make something that i wasn't afraid people were gonna judge me for, that i wasn't trying to sell or market in a certain way"....  is she alluding to her amazon ad and the "judgement" she received for it? Because if it is, hon, no one pointed a gun to your head to force you to do an ad with them after basing your whole persona on sustainability. Its not judgement, Ashley, its people calling you out for your bullshit. 

So many people (Ashley included) are so alienated from the outside world, and the people around them, that they don't realize what the digital world says isn't always reality. You see this in articles that try to talk about outrage over x, y, and z but it really is so minimal when you consider the population of just the US and Canada alone. There are saturated areas in cities, but not everyone is an influencer full-time. Some people have main jobs and YouTube is their hobby and you can tell because their content is slow, thoughtful and not full if sponsors. And then there are the millions of people who choose not to inundate themselves with the digital world and actually volunteer, go to rallies, etc etc.  

Also, the idea of a hobby is an elitist and very modern facet to everyday life. Elist in the fact that only people who could afford a hobby actually engaged in one... and it's still that way today. Most people used to become skilled in one thing and monetized on that mastered skill, passing it down to their offspring. It's actually how a lot of people are making their money from home, even now! Etsy, anyone? She wants to sound deep, but she ends up sounding dumb because there is absolutely nothing wrong with monetizing on a skill. Capitalism (at the base) is about people bring their product to the market and competing. Giant corporations have turned it into the soul sucking economic system it is currently. Capitalism, like socialism, are economic constructs that can be used and abused by those who have the power. But I digress...

Local people monetizing on their skills (aka. doing what they love) is the most sustainable thing because you go to local artisans to create beautiful, sturdy tables that last for generations rather than IKEA, which lasts for 10 years on a good day. Those artisans would consider their skill both their hobby and their job. The only thing that's probably stressful is making ends meet and/or taxes for being self-employed.

I subscribed to Ashley because I liked her thrift videos. I liked the “relatable” part of being able to be fashionable even with just spending $10 on your whole outfit. It made me feel like she was just like me.

The last time I watched one of her videos regularly was when she was still together with her boyfriend. Her self-hating and sex jokes made me lose interest but she really isn’t a relatable YouTuber anymore. 

Spending 600 dollars on ugly shoes isn’t relatable. 

27AEC014-E207-4206-9C6F-2E6B6E7AAE5F.thu

She posted this on her story a while back because “so many people were asking where it’s from”. I thought the sweater was cute and expected it to be like maybe 20 dollars??? It was 65 dollars... Idk. I liked Ashley because it felt like she could be a friend of mine but the more bigger she got the more she fell out of the relatable category.

Not to sound mean, but are you saying that spending her money on expensive items makes her not relatable? I understand different stages (and walks) in life dictate disposable income, so I'm not here to shame you at all! But when you look back on the cost of clothing from 70 years ago now, and calculate inflation, you'd see that fast fashion has altered the way we spend (frequently buying to replace broken items) and define as affordable. If we changed our indoctrination, you would find that she has the potential to be relatable. Economic status shouldn't be what relates us. If the wealthier is being more helpful than condescending or tone deaf, then it's a good match. I say this as someone who has really close friends that are wealthier and poorer than I am. One of my friends would pass down her clothes to her friends because she knew she didn't want something anymore. It never felt like charity, just a periodic closet declutter. And I mean, these clothes were high end not luxury.

Edited by andherflowers