• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

1895 posts in this topic

Posted

Her ethics have always been a damn joke, but fucking Amazon???? REALLY??? I know her values are pretty much ankle deep, but I did not see an Amazon sponsorship coming. I wonder if she went through with this as a way to show a platform of affordable clothing for her viewers.... But the items she chose in the video aren't even reasonably priced???? This pretty much shows that her self-awareness is only used to benefit her "i'm relatable" image. That sort of endearing, self-deprecating and self-aware personality only works when you show you are working to improve yourself and when you are genuinely honest with what you support and who you are. I'm not gonna lie, she's only a year older than me and some of the things she says often make me reflect on my personality because she truly is just some barely legal 21-year-old who doesn't know what she wants, who she is, and as far as I'm concerned isn't doing much to figure it all out anyway since she has a crowd of people waiting to validate and coddle her every step of the way. (The # of comments I read under that video that had to clarify they weren't hating was ridiculous) Who needs change and actual self-care when other people are fine with it??? She can say she's trying and that'll be enough for her audience. I bet this will be swept under the rug too because she won't address this. Addressing this actually means being upfront about her sustainability stance without victimizing herself or finding excuses and for once, taking accountability which this girl isn't capable of unless it's the ankle-deep "i'm flawed and i know it" mantra. It would be fine to not be sustainable, that is a choice, and it's a decision most of us have no choice but to make for financial constraints or whatever else. (Thrift when you can though!) If you like fast-fashion Ashley and want to profit off that. Go for it. No one would claw you alive for it. If there's any victimizing retort on her end, she's sealed the deal that she doesn't care to rectify this. Ashley, you being young, lost and confused is literally the only thread I'm holding onto, but that stops being legitimate after a while. You're only going to get older, it's time to actually cling onto morals and beliefs that reflect what you want in this world and who you are. You have to actually follow through with your principles. 

Posted

B55A7403-CE54-464D-8B96-21CB07BF263D.thu

on one hand, I don’t know how they know that,  like I don’t want to look up her parents names to see if it’s true ( I don’t care that much) but wow if it is true and she still worked with amazon anyway. I wonder if her mom knows? Probably.  True, you gotta let your kids make their own decisions but I wonder what their conversations are like lol

Damn. This is kind of sad and also like a burn to her mom's entire career and decades of work.

I'm someone who really cares about the environment. If I have a daughter someday I wouldn't at all be ashamed of her having sex or having a youtube channel. But I would be ashamed of educating her on the environment her whole life then watching her turn around and form deals with some of the dirtiest companies, then encourage millions of fans to do the same. 

Pleeeease Ashley. Being sustainable is so cool and admirable for celebrities. Leonardo DiCaprio is a huge environmentalist (which you probably know as a film major graduate from UCLA) and everyone really appreciates him for it. You will gain a whole new fanbase if you stick to better choices than this...

Posted

IIRC someone from gurugossiper thread figured out her last name

Posted

Ashley thinks that if people are not dressed head to toe in urban outfitters style it means they’re not fashionable. Hon, if anything, being fashionable is not about dressing head to toe on the latest trends, it’s about dressing in classic, timeless pieces. 

tbh i think a better way to put it is that, ashley is just a mindless trend follower for fashion. she thinks throwing on a pair of chunky boots and the same dress from urban outfitters is a whole 'look'. she doesn't have a true sense of style or taste. there's this quote by ysl that comes to mind, "fashion fades, style is eternal." 

Posted

B55A7403-CE54-464D-8B96-21CB07BF263D.thu

on one hand, I don’t know how they know that,  like I don’t want to look up her parents names to see if it’s true ( I don’t care that much) but wow if it is true and she still worked with amazon anyway. I wonder if her mom knows? Probably.  True, you gotta let your kids make their own decisions but I wonder what their conversations are like lol

I also looked it up and think it's legit. The linkedin pages of her parents check out, there is a foto online with both of them in it and there is even a foto of Ashley linked to her, when you google her name. It actually shocked me a bit to find this foto of Ashley as it was extremely easy to find. 

Both her parents seem to be hardcore STEM academics™, with her sister pursuing a PhD - presumably also in a STEM field - I get the impression from afar, that Ashley is the "weird one" with the least amount of academic education, not continuing studying and also being in an arts field.

How amazing would it be to do a video with her mom on sustainability? Her mother only follows accounts about environmental stuff/activism, Ashley could give her a bigger audience. But then again we don't know what kind of relationship they have. They could be distant and not getting along. I can imagine she has to prove herself quite a bit for not being in academia and not doing something STEM-related. 

Posted

Has anyone watched her newest video of thrifting in London?

I personally like her thrifting videos, but this one was mostly a let down. I liked seeing the different shops, but idk if she just chose the wrong area, but everything was so expensive, might as well buy a brand new piece for those prices. As for the things she bought, I don't know why she bought another denim jacket that looks like any other denim jacket she has already; the red corduroy pants are very fun and I love them, even though she keeps saying she has an unhealthy obsession with corduroy - just say you like the fabric and go, it's nothing special, Jesus.

She also bought a fantastic vintage black dress, with a corset inspired design... And then said she's gonna cut it at an ass baring lenght. I am SO MAD, ugh.

THANK YOU!!! I can understand taking it in on the sides, because it is too big in that area for her. The design of the dress was definitely for someone with more curve to fill it. However, she doesn't need to f*ck with the length. She even said, "it'll look more current". I'm confusion, I'll be honest. I live in SoCal, like her, and the only people I see wearing mini dresses (like tonight) were teenagers. Even during the summer, I have yet to see something approaching or past their mid-20's wearing mini dresses not at the beach. But I digress.

It's one thing to say it's flattering for your body (which she did), but midi length is still very current; Reformation sells mini, midi and maxi length dresses and they all still sell out. In fact, I think Reformation sells out faster in midi than maxi, so what is she talking about? Also, boo hoo for spending close to $70 for a vintage DESIGNER dress when you bought lace up boots from Reformation for like $500 or whatever they were in the one Elle video she did. Good vintage is expensive - even more expensive than that dress. I would be happy for spending that much for a designer dress! The one thing I hope is that she takes this to a professional to get altered than herself or else she will surely ruin it because the fabric isn't some cheaper Forever 21 synthetic fabric.

It could have been the area, but I also think that Ashley is just limited in her fashion. Just glance at the quick shots of the racks, I guarantee there were plenty for her to choose - even with higher price tags. Looking back on Jenn Im's old videos, I notice that she also falls into this category. They are very fashionable for everyday, street "it" girls but not fashion editorial status. Those are two very different categories that would be able (or not) able to do things at thrift stores that seem like there is nothing.

Posted

Her sister is pursuing a PhD in Cell/Cellular and Molecular Biology at UPenn (based off of her LinkedIn). There’s a lot of articles and sites about Ashley from 2016-2018 circa that features her full name (as in first and last name), but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post any here :alpacasad:

Posted

A lot of Ashley's insecurities make sense to me now that I found out her family members are all scientists and she is an influencer. I can see why she pushes herself to be even more perfect, to the point of repeatedly filming jokes until she gets them right. I hope she takes a more business-like and professional approach to her channel, because she could grow it into a legit business. The Amazon sponsorship was a terrible call both for her brand and in general. She has the budget to buy sustainable clothing items and review the brands. Ashley has the work ethic that lots of YouTubers lose after a certain amount of time. It's a shame to see all that drive go into videos that won't help her build her brand.

Posted

"it'll look more current". I'm confusion, I'll be honest.

*1940's onward* "am I a joke to you?"

Posted

THANK YOU!!! I can understand taking it in on the sides, because it is too big in that area for her. The design of the dress was definitely for someone with more curve to fill it. However, she doesn't need to f*ck with the length. She even said, "it'll look more current". I'm confusion, I'll be honest. I live in SoCal, like her, and the only people I see wearing mini dresses (like tonight) were teenagers. Even during the summer, I have yet to see something approaching or past their mid-20's wearing mini dresses not at the beach. But I digress.

It's one thing to say it's flattering for your body (which she did), but midi length is still very current; Reformation sells mini, midi and maxi length dresses and they all still sell out. In fact, I think Reformation sells out faster in midi than maxi, so what is she talking about? Also, boo hoo for spending close to $70 for a vintage DESIGNER dress when you bought lace up boots from Reformation for like $500 or whatever they were in the one Elle video she did. Good vintage is expensive - even more expensive than that dress. I would be happy for spending that much for a designer dress! The one thing I hope is that she takes this to a professional to get altered than herself or else she will surely ruin it because the fabric isn't some cheaper Forever 21 synthetic fabric.

It could have been the area, but I also think that Ashley is just limited in her fashion. Just glance at the quick shots of the racks, I guarantee there were plenty for her to choose - even with higher price tags. Looking back on Jenn Im's old videos, I notice that she also falls into this category. They are very fashionable for everyday, street "it" girls but not fashion editorial status. Those are two very different categories that would be able (or not) able to do things at thrift stores that seem like there is nothing.

Tbh, I don't remember if the dress actually hits her at a true midi lenght (since she's on the shorter side), and I personally wouldn't mind that much if she had made it knee lenght or a little above the knee, or even just hemmed enough to make it a midi on her... But she was deadass saying she was going to hem it at a butt lenght, like all her other dresses. Why butcher a pretty dress like that? Don't you understand anything about fashion to know which lenghts would be suitable for certain styles????? It's baffling to me and I cannot understand her thought process at all.

I mean, I do like mini dresses too, but mini usually means midtight (or a little below that if you're a bit more conservative), not flashing-everyone-if-you-ever-so-slightly-bend-over lenght. How is that comfortable? She can barely pose for Instagram without flashing her followers, let alone walk, sit and do stuff.

And yeah, she's very limited in her fashion choices, and I go beyond brands to say that: all of her silhouttes look the same. She's always wearing something high waisted, tucking in her shirts or cropping them, wearing dresses and skirts that are impractically short and tight... There's nothing wrong with having preferences, we all do, but she's a fashion Youtuber, she has money and access to good stores and thrift shops, so why always dress the same? Try new fits, patterns, colors, see what works and what doesn't. All of her one of a kind pieces appear once in a video and then get buried under the usual clothes, or get butchered into something basic that Urban Outfitters would sell for a 100 bucks.

Posted

Tbh, I don't remember if the dress actually hits her at a true midi lenght (since she's on the shorter side), and I personally wouldn't mind that much if she had made it knee lenght or a little above the knee, or even just hemmed enough to make it a midi on her... But she was deadass saying she was going to hem it at a butt lenght, like all her other dresses. Why butcher a pretty dress like that? Don't you understand anything about fashion to know which lenghts would be suitable for certain styles????? It's baffling to me and I cannot understand her thought process at all.

I mean, I do like mini dresses too, but mini usually means midtight (or a little below that if you're a bit more conservative), not flashing-everyone-if-you-ever-so-slightly-bend-over lenght. How is that comfortable? She can barely pose for Instagram without flashing her followers, let alone walk, sit and do stuff.

And yeah, she's very limited in her fashion choices, and I go beyond brands to say that: all of her silhouttes look the same. She's always wearing something high waisted, tucking in her shirts or cropping them, wearing dresses and skirts that are impractically short and tight... There's nothing wrong with having preferences, we all do, but she's a fashion Youtuber, she has money and access to good stores and thrift shops, so why always dress the same? Try new fits, patterns, colors, see what works and what doesn't. All of her one of a kind pieces appear once in a video and then get buried under the usual clothes, or get butchered into something basic that Urban Outfitters would sell for a 100 bucks.

I tried on a mini dress from Reformation. Those things are ridiculously short. I'm barely even average height and my crotch was basically out. I can see why those dresses are popular with the more "vertically challenged" influencers. My legs looked super long not only because of the length of the dress, but because the waistline was higher than it is on normal dresses. I'm guessing that Ashley likes looking like she has long legs. It's keeping in line with her chasing an idea of who to be/what to look like as opposed to developing herself. I honestly think Ashley has a unique beauty but she would prefer to be conventionally attractive. Her features are gorgeous and made for more editorial looks.

Posted

A lot of Ashley's insecurities make sense to me now that I found out her family members are all scientists and she is an influencer. I can see why she pushes herself to be even more perfect, to the point of repeatedly filming jokes until she gets them right. I hope she takes a more business-like and professional approach to her channel, because she could grow it into a legit business. The Amazon sponsorship was a terrible call both for her brand and in general. She has the budget to buy sustainable clothing items and review the brands. Ashley has the work ethic that lots of YouTubers lose after a certain amount of time. It's a shame to see all that drive go into videos that won't help her build her brand.

I hadn't thought about it in that way but you're right. Imagine you have a family full of extremely successful scientists and STEM academics and you are a film major with a youtube channel. I understand that because of it she might feel the pressure to prove to herself and to her family that she took the right path and that she is doing her job well but the thing is, it doesn't matter how much effort she puts into her channel, doing fashion videos simply does not compare to being a freaking Molecular Biologist lol. I mean, I enjoy fashion and makeup videos as any other girl, it doesn't mean that anyone who does videos like that should be ashamed or or feel beneath other people but in regards to Ashley's case, her "efforts" and "perfectionism" has only ended up being counterproductive to her goal of being the best in her own eyes. She has become cringy, unfunny, a try-hard, a hypocrite, an oversexualized fake feminist, and to top it off she totally geenwashed her youtube brand. She might as well just remained the same Ashley that she was in prior to 2017 if she really wanted her family to accept her path. At this point it almost looks like she is pulling her version of Miley Cyrus and rebelling against all the values that her family follows because if she's never going to be seen as their equal, might as well pull a u-turn, you know? Idk, that's just my theory. 

I honestly think Ashley has a unique beauty but she would prefer to be conventionally attractive. Her features are gorgeous and made for more editorial looks.

I was looking at older videos of hers and couldn't stop thinking how unique her face looked before. I guess its maybe because not only is she mixed race, but she is also not the mainstream, East Asian American (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) that are promoted as the ideal Asian standards of beauty. I don't know if Ashley thinks that she looks more white than Asian or if her goal is too look more East Asian since they are considered the most attractive (not saying this is right or that i agree with it, just saying, this is how it is, standards of beauty are a bitch). Her face was a lot fuller before and she looked more beautiful, which is weird for me say considering how I've pointed out that she has a wide face but now its like, her face is still wide (because you can't change bone structure) but now its a little more duller and sunken. She looked more alive and healthy before, even when she didn't wear as much makeup as before. Not saying this is right or that she has an ED but something I've noticed with some people with eating disorders is that they tend to have naturally wide and full faces, so they lose and lose weight because even though they lose body weight, face weight is harder to lose and they don't like their wide faces because they think they're fat. Idk if I'm explaining myself lol, and im not saying she necessarily has an eating disorder but this natural wide face thing and eating disorders seems to be a correlation I have noticed not just in famous people or influencers but in people I know as well. She should own her unique features instead of trying to be something she will never be. 

This is from  2016, when she graduated high school. She honestly looked so pretty and classy.  

Here she is now, from two months ago. Notice that even though she always has really good lighting in her videos, in this video she is under some artificial, colored light even though it's a makeup video. Still, you can see her face is just as wide, but not as plump and full as it used to

Idk, i just think that she lost a lot of her uniqueness with so much weight loss and makeup that she herself has mentioned she does to hide her Asian features.

Posted (edited)

IIRC someone from gurugossiper thread figured out her last name

I mean I've known it for weeks because she hasn't really done a good job of hiding it. In one video, she blurred out her last name, but all the videos edited by the Sorry Girls have her full name listed for credit.

Also, she used to try and hide her Asian features; it's not something she still does. Her choice on her identity is her business. 

Commenting on how "plump" her face used to be is fucking weird lol

Edited by sfrappe1999

Posted

i was recently recommended one of her videos from the beginning of this year and she looked so much better and happier then. she was skinny but not like she is now, she was glowing and face didn't look that hollow. we gave her a lot of shit for her relationship with david and yeah he was a douche and she was absolutely cringey and over the top in the way she portrayed her relationship online but i do think that relationships (be it romantic or genuine friendships) would improve her life greatly. 

Posted

I rewatched that part (it was late and I had gotten off work), it's not even midi - it's more knee length. But I agree with everything you said. There are different lengths that function differently for the idea of the dress. It could be a cute mini if I knew it wasn't going to be crotch mini. And I think that's the thing, if it were the classic mini, where you were potentially flashing people, it may work... but that's not how it would turn out. It still would be better as the length it is or adjusted to fit her height in that original length.

I'm a fashion elisted to the max. I believe that these fast fashion companies have lowered the expectations on what fashion is. It's accessible (albeit at the expense of others) for the every day person to feel fashionable but it's not fashion for the art of it, if that makes sense. She has money and access; if she weren't so afraid, she could still be relatable while showcasing real quality fashion. There's a difference between being arrogant and flaunting your Chanel and just wearing it.

Note: I'm in a rush, and I'm on my mobile, so I'm sorry if this poste read more horribly than my usual low quality, "I barely want to proofread" grammar errors!