• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

4106 posts in this topic

Posted

IMO i'ts really unprofessional of her to talk rly fast and look / sound like 'she is about to cry'. Girl, if you need some rest, u can get some. I dont like it when youtubers push themselves too hard.  It always means that she either is really done with her job or overworks herself.

Posted

after reading here i went to go check out the video for myself and i immediately wanted to turn off the video but i kept going. and then for a while since i was just hearing the audio i thought she was using the same clip over and over but she really is just repeating everything..... this was so uncomfortable to watch. it just proves that she isn’t as funny or witty??? 

Posted

I feel like maybe she thought it would be like a blooper reel, but if she had tried to repeat a line a couple of times and then was like AHHHHH or laughed or thrown her hands up or something, it could've been cute/funny/relatable (though I still think it's weird for Youtubers to be rehearsing lines like this in a casual video....makes me question the authenticity of a lot of other people I watch--anyone who said she was showing the "real side of Youtubers"...if that's what it really is, I don't wanna watch these people anymore)

But instead she, as someone else said, has a near compulsion to get the one line out "perfectly" to the point of tears and like clearly deep seated frustration and anger and self-hatred...I honestly half expected her to slap herself across the face as if she was a kid having a tantrum. It was very, very disturbing to me and also so unnecessary because (1) the "line" can have an um or a pause or a stumble and still be fine for a damn Youtube vlog and (2) no one is making her talk that fast! I honestly thought it was just the way she talks because I talk about that fast (not all the time of course but generally) so I didn't think of it as abnormal, but if she's forcing herself to talk that fast to seem intelligent/funny/clever, whatever......girl, just stop! It's so unnecessary. And if it's causing you to get to this point....my god. Seriously, is this what her days are like? Just repeating the same thing 50,000 times until you get it right for a 10 minute video? She has trapped herself in her own purgatory in my opinion--seriously, it's like a damn Greek myth.

The video was so upsetting but after thinking about it I think she honestly thought it would be a funny/quirky "blooper reel" which kind of just goes to show how out of touch she is with her own self. It does bring to mind when she called out other girls for being basic when she does the exact same things, so I feel like she clearly doesn't have a ton of self-awareness. Again, I will say this until she changes--holy shit Ashely go to therapy PLEASE. It would benefit you so much, and there's also NOTHING WRONG with going to therapy. JFC I hope the many reactions to her video noting how upsetting/disturbing/concerning it was are a wake up call for her to finally make the move to therapy. 

Posted

i guess this is kind of obvious, but i also just wanted to add that after posting this video, many of her viewers will or have already started to question her authenticity (her main selling point) and general well-being in past and future videos. for each ~devastatingly quirky and utterly brilliant~ joke she aggressively forces herself to include, i’m going to start wondering how many times she short circuited and maniacally repeated that line another 40 times just to appear like she nonchalantly came up with it on the spot. this video was a bad move and terribly backfired on her. 

i can see how she thought posting it would be an attention-seeking move for people feel pity her and be all “oh!! she works SOOOOO hard!!!!! poor ashley!!” but in a more realistic sense, i think @kicksthis is more accurate in that her self awareness is horribly skewed and she thought it’d make a comical relatable blooper reel. 

Posted

i think one of the first things i noticed abt her is how fast she speaks bc im also a fast talker, but it always seems rushed and unnatural and i just realised it's because she basically memorizes all her lines lol. i used to do the same in high school when i had to memorize entire passages - blurt out several sentences as quckly as possible, go "ummm" and blurt out the next few sentences. i mean, she might as well write like a 5 page script and learn it word for word just to make it easier on herself

but as many people said, her level of dedication and perfectionism is so unhealthy (and uneccessary), compulsive perfectionism in general is dangerous bc you're striving to reach a goal that doesn't exist. which is kinda what she's doing, there's a difference between saying a line 2-4 times and repeating the same thing over 40 times for a 10 second segment of the video, that's just insane. ppl are already commenting stuff like "after watching the bloopers it stresses me out how long it took you to film the whole video" 

Posted

She spent so much time practicing the delivery of a joke that wasn't even funny 

Posted (edited)

I would say that about half her audience is defending her, saying that what she does is normal and a sign of her so called perfectionism, and the other half is genuinely concerned for her. I hate this self love trend in which you can’t criticize someone even if it’s constructive criticism because any kind of criticism is considered hate. This is how youtubers, and regular people for that matter, lose their ground and become egotistical and then people wonder why and always say “i liked you better before”. YOU MADE THEM LIKE THIS! YOU ENCOURAGED THEM TO NEVER BE TOUCHED! Of course, Ashley is an adult woman. She should have enough maturity to separate herself from the internet and not conflate it with whatever dumb idea she has of the quirky, woke, smart woman that she is trying so blatantly hard to hold on to. In conclusion, basing off your personality on validation from strangers and lame scripts will never end well and will never make you authentic. It will just leave you feeling empty because you have no idea who you are.

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

i dont find her quirky at all. i think shes similar to jenn im where her online persona literally defines her whole existence and its so sad.

Posted

I THINK that with her film background, it makes sense for her to keep on going and trying to find the line she needed to get out, BUT the joke isn't funny and the payoff isn't worth it at all. She sounds like a robot malfunctioning and the video itself is scary, even if her behavior is only slightly concerning to her fans.

Posted

New here and just joined to share how I might have some info as to why Ashley and David split. 

Disclaimer: this is all I was told, and from the point of view of a friend who I trust, so I dont know for certain, but: 

Earlier on in the year, I was scrolling through my social media, and saw that one of my really good guy buddies who goes to UCLA had tagged Ashley's insta in an ig post in relation to one of his projects (he's an ace photographer and aspiring videographer). So I messaged him being like "Dude I had no idea you worked with Ashley! That's so cool, I love her channel." He replied saying that that was awesome and that he had no idea that I watched her, and he eventually explained how he had originally met her through her (then) boyfriend David. 

My buddy also worked at the gym that David used to go to and was a junior personal trainer. David was one of his trainees, and they eventually became really good friends, they hung our together after college and went to parties. After finding out that my buddy also did photography and videography, David told him to meet his gf Ashley to maybe do collabs on projects if he wanted to get more experience in the fashion industry. 

I believe over the following months he worked with Ashley on lots of side projects, taking shots for her portfolio and he helped her out on a few video screen tests for the screenplay she's writing. 

I didn't think on it again until I saw her breakup post on ig. I messaged my buddy as he knew them both to ask if he knew what had happened, I also noticed that he had deleted all links and mention of Ashley from his social media. He was quite reluctant to tell me at first, but eventually opened up about it. 

What had happened was a couple weeks before the breakup, he went to one of the PR events with Ashley to take photos of her and the event etc. They finished shooting and stayed to enjoy the rest of the event. He admitted he had one too many drinks by the evening to safely drive, so asked Ashley to drive him home. She agreed and when they got back to his apartment and after they unloaded all of his equipment, she hung around for a little while. At one point in the evening she made the move to kiss him, and they kissed for a little while until she tried to take it up a notch. At that point he rebuffed her and said it felt really wrong as she was David's gf, and that he felt guilty as David was the one that introduced them. After that it was really awkward understandably, and she left shortly after. 

The following Monday my buddy was dreading the gym session with David, but he came in and chatted as normal, so my friend realised that Ashley hadn't said anything to him. At the end of the session my friend sat David down and explained everything that had happened and how guilty and sorry he was. David apparently kind of made a scene (understandably) almost yelled at him and left. He quit that gym and blocked my friend on all social media. 

A couple days later a message came through from David who had unblocked him, saying that he was sorry for reacting too rashly, and that even though their friendship was over, he still appreciated how my friend was honest in the end, and that he can't be all to blame. He also revealed that that wasn't the first time that Ashley had done that to him. I believe they left their communciation on fairly neutral terms if not a little frosty and tonmy knowledge haven't spoken since. 

Long story short, I don't know if this was why Ashley and David split up, if it was one factor or the deciding factor or not at all, but the timeline seems more than a coincidence. 

I'm not gonna name the guy or link his social media as he's a decent person and I don't want any stans coming after him and giving him abuse. 

Posted

I THINK that with her film background, it makes sense for her to keep on going and trying to find the line she needed to get out, BUT the joke isn't funny and the payoff isn't worth it at all. She sounds like a robot malfunctioning and the video itself is scary, even if her behavior is only slightly concerning to her fans.

Tbh I don't see the connection between a film background and having to repeat lines nonstop at a certain breakneck speed just to get it EXACTLY how you want it (coming from someone with a "film background"). In film, you have a script so you have lines to memorize and then work on the delivery--you practice, sure, but you don't repeat it with everything exactly the same 50 times to get it once, that's insanity. You'd change up the pace, add some pauses, re-work to get the feeling right, maybe change some words here and there. OR you accept, which a certain amount of directors do, that actors shouldn't stick 100% to the script and can go off on their own a bit if they feel so inclined, which can lead to some really nice, natural, unscripted moments in film. 

Ashley majored in screenwriting, so I get that she'd be obsessed with writing lines for her "vlogs" (even though I personally find that stupid and a bit disingenuous, since it isn't CLEAR they're scripted unlike sit down videos, she's pretending as if she's naturally witty/charming/spontaneous/etc), but the amount of repetition she needed to get the line out, and the fact that she wasn't changing anything or taking a break to get her bearings, or looking at the script to just re-memorize, is what is odd and very disturbing. And yeah, definitely made me wonder--is it like this for every line in her videos?? Because as someone else said, that makes me rethink what Ashley means when she says she works hard. I have no doubt she works hard, but now I think she overworks herself in a hell of her own making.

Film school background might have made her inclined to write a script, but it doesn't account for the compulsion to speak/act in the way she did--that is, imho, a sign of very poor mental health. Just my two cents on it

(Not even gonna comment on the David thing, because idk where to start with that can of worms but I'm excited to read what y'all think)

Posted

New here and just joined to share how I might have some info as to why Ashley and David split. 

Disclaimer: this is all I was told, and from the point of view of a friend who I trust, so I dont know for certain, but: 

Earlier on in the year, I was scrolling through my social media, and saw that one of my really good guy buddies who goes to UCLA had tagged Ashley's insta in an ig post in relation to one of his projects (he's an ace photographer and aspiring videographer). So I messaged him being like "Dude I had no idea you worked with Ashley! That's so cool, I love her channel." He replied saying that that was awesome and that he had no idea that I watched her, and he eventually explained how he had originally met her through her (then) boyfriend David. 

My buddy also worked at the gym that David used to go to and was a junior personal trainer. David was one of his trainees, and they eventually became really good friends, they hung our together after college and went to parties. After finding out that my buddy also did photography and videography, David told him to meet his gf Ashley to maybe do collabs on projects if he wanted to get more experience in the fashion industry. 

I believe over the following months he worked with Ashley on lots of side projects, taking shots for her portfolio and he helped her out on a few video screen tests for the screenplay she's writing. 

I didn't think on it again until I saw her breakup post on ig. I messaged my buddy as he knew them both to ask if he knew what had happened, I also noticed that he had deleted all links and mention of Ashley from his social media. He was quite reluctant to tell me at first, but eventually opened up about it. 

What had happened was a couple weeks before the breakup, he went to one of the PR events with Ashley to take photos of her and the event etc. They finished shooting and stayed to enjoy the rest of the event. He admitted he had one too many drinks by the evening to safely drive, so asked Ashley to drive him home. She agreed and when they got back to his apartment and after they unloaded all of his equipment, she hung around for a little while. At one point in the evening she made the move to kiss him, and they kissed for a little while until she tried to take it up a notch. At that point he rebuffed her and said it felt really wrong as she was David's gf, and that he felt guilty as David was the one that introduced them. After that it was really awkward understandably, and she left shortly after. 

The following Monday my buddy was dreading the gym session with David, but he came in and chatted as normal, so my friend realised that Ashley hadn't said anything to him. At the end of the session my friend sat David down and explained everything that had happened and how guilty and sorry he was. David apparently kind of made a scene (understandably) almost yelled at him and left. He quit that gym and blocked my friend on all social media. 

A couple days later a message came through from David who had unblocked him, saying that he was sorry for reacting too rashly, and that even though their friendship was over, he still appreciated how my friend was honest in the end, and that he can't be all to blame. He also revealed that that wasn't the first time that Ashley had done that to him. I believe they left their communciation on fairly neutral terms if not a little frosty and tonmy knowledge haven't spoken since. 

Long story short, I don't know if this was why Ashley and David split up, if it was one factor or the deciding factor or not at all, but the timeline seems more than a coincidence. 

I'm not gonna name the guy or link his social media as he's a decent person and I don't want any stans coming after him and giving him abuse. 

huh, that‘s interesting. i didn‘t think that would go into this direction at all. i always got the vibe that david broke up with her because of her youtube lifestyle, that maybe they weren‘t compatible because of that. but this... if she‘s really a cheater, shame on her.

Posted (edited)

huh, that‘s interesting. i didn‘t think that would go into this direction at all. i always got the vibe that david broke up with her because of her youtube lifestyle, that maybe they weren‘t compatible because of that. but this... if she‘s really a cheater, shame on her.

I obviously can’t speak on the validity of those claims, but women cheat just as much as men, if not more. When I first heard her talk so crudely about sex and hooking up I was really taken aback since she looked so young and innocent to me and totally not the type to readily engage in those topics so publicly. It’s like they  say, it’s always the ones who look the most innocent who end up being the freaky ones lol. But again, can’t know if this is true. 

David has been painted as the asshole so much (which, based on how he treated Ashley on the few clips we saw of their relationship, it seems true) , but we obviously don’t know the whole story. Didn’t someone say a few pages back something about how he was hitting on some girl while he was still with Ashley? Maybe it was after this that she decided to cheat on him as revenge or something. Lol I’m writing a fanfic now it seems 😂

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

honestly i believe that break up story and I agree with DreamyCat, David might have cheated on her and she wanted to get revenge.  but who knows for sure? lol. she probably also felt that the guy paid more attention to her and understood her in a way david couldn't. and if they were spending a lot of time together she might have gotten the signs to make a move whether or not the guy was giving her any. it's pretty typical giving her age and maturity level so i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case you know?

i feel bad for ashley. i think she means well. but she makes hasty decisions. she does so many things that she thinks will make her happy but end up making her feel worse. like she thought that moving across the country to LA away from her friends and family would be the best thing ever. but she didn't realize that she needed a support system more than she needed to be in california. 

then when she was in college, she decided to graduate early thinking saving money on tuition and not being in socially awkward situations would make her happy. but in the end she missed out on a lot of growth that she could of done during that extra year. not to mention that she moved out on her own prior to graduating so she even missed out on the interactions she would have had with a roommate or housemate, etc.

the thing is hitting these "milestones" as she puts it might seem fulfilling and they may work for some people, but they don't suit her. she's someone who grew up really sheltered and i think she's experiencing a tremendous amount of culture shock and the loneliness in LA. 

i guess this is all stuff we talked about before but i just wanted to give my two cents lol.

Posted

I'm sure the people over at gurugossiper would also be interested in hearing this, if you want to crosspost to Ashley's thread over there. If this is true then that's really slimy of her.