• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.
    • Reputation Has Increased!   07/06/20

Hello. You have been asking for it and it is finally here. We have increased the number of reputation given in a day from 25 to 50. We will see how well 50 works out and if that is enough. Please continue to provide feedback and we will reevaluate as needed. This change has been added to the site changes thread located here. Happy repping. Thank you.

bestdressed/ ashley

4817 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

oh wow i only watched like 8 seconds of this video and felt so uncomfortable. i can’t believe she sat down and watched this footage repeatedly to actually edit it with the belief that this is content her audience will enjoy and upload it into the public sphere. like her perception about this whole upload must have been somewhat skewed. so much about her persona/personality (even her talking speed at times) is so rehearsed and we know this bc she’s mentioned preplanning her unfunny jokes in advance but this is so .... excessively contrived and somewhat disturbing? even though the video itself is edited to be 4 minutes long, clearly the actual uncut reel must be longer. another commenter even said “how can you do this every video” and when you think about that it’s quite jarring. can’t decide if what i’m feeling for her is sympathy or pity tbh

also her vidcon vlog was full of so many contradictions due to her need to act like she’s so special and woke and against capitalism as if her entire brand doesn’t rely on fast fashion and having her viewers purchase through her affiliate links? the parts w her teenybopper friends having pseudo-intellectual conversations were so amusing and laughable, esp when one of them was like “are you present? like i’m touching this white sheet right now...” as if that was supposed to be deep fbskdbkwbd even ashley filming those moments not for herself but for her viewers and being sooo excited about having “deep convos” (is it just me or does she like to mention having these talks whenever she does?) feel sad and inauthentic. she needs to surround herself with more authentic/mature people her age instead of high school youtubers to give her a better perception of life and the world imo 

Edited by champagneglass

Posted (edited)

after seeing that video, it now make sense to me why her sense of humor is the way it is.

She seems like such a extreme perfectionist, and imo she knew people were gonna feel bad for her.

I can see why you would think that she knew people would feel bad for her. However, in my opinion, the reason why I think that she honestly didn’t know people would feel bad for her is because this isn’t the usual persona she’s trying to portray. Yeah, she wants to portray herself as a relatable, awkward, young woman making her way thorough life but her main schtick  since she started making videos is that she is this liberated, authentic, and independent woman and that video completely destroys that. She showed in that video completely the opposite; that she oppresses her own self, that she is inauthentic, and that she is very dependent on her twisted idea of perfection and validation from strangers.  Even if it’s in nice words, pretty much everyone in the comments is calling her fake and a try hard. 

The thing with the concept of “perfection” is that perfection is impossible in most cases and sometimes it’s even subjective. So when a person decides to be a perfectionist, it can create a damaging and twisted environment for yourself and others because you are most likely trying to achieve something that doesn’t even exist to begin with. That is why perfectionists tend to be very anxious people who work unnecessarily hard. 

Ashley’s perspective must be pretty twisted for her to post a video like that and not feel even remotely embarrassed. She’s not exactly having a mental breakdown but in all honesty, there’s too many youtubers putting up videos of them crying or having a breakdown and people always call them courageous for doing that. The thing is that the internet is not a substitute for therapy, and those videos will be up for all eternity even if they chose to delete them. Going to actual therapy, now, that is true courage because first you need to admit that you need help. 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

I think she honestly thought people would find this funny :|. Just like that time when she made a whole fashion video dedicated to picking her young and happy self apart for... daring to be happy and proud of herself despite "dressing bad" and "not being cool". In reality a lot of people didn't think she was being fair and didn't find it funny, just sad.

I think she has gotten so used to disliking herself for so long that she has lost touch of what is normal and this internet culture of "self-deprecating is funny" validated her belief that everybody else must be just faking it too. I hope this time around the people's reaction results in her having a light bulb moment of some kind and gets her to seek help instead of taking it as proof that she isn't pretending hard enough and needs to double down. 

It's high time she invested in some therapy. 

Posted

idk how anyone could make up excuses for that video. it was genuinely really cringey, sad, and honestly, a little horrifying. this is just ONE line she rehearsed. imagine the other hundreds of lines she's rehearsed in this way??? she sounds like she's about to cry. 

but the biggest joke is ??? THE LINE WASN'T EVEN FUNNY LMFAOOOOOO

Posted

This video on her second channel got me really anxious. She films the same thing a lot of times just to get the lines perfect and every time she says "uhm" looks like she's about to cry in frustration (someone commented that on the video and I thought it was really on point)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LosWgoSy9FI

I thought the vidcon video was kinda nice even tho she was really socially awkward and trying to fit in, but now seeing bits of the backstage, with her filming and filming the same thing repeatedly was actually kinda sad.

i- 

why would she upload this video....

is she trying to unmask the reality of being a youtuber by showing her behind-the-scenes behavior? 

Posted

I can see why you would think that she knew people would feel bad for her. However, in my opinion, the reason why I think that she honestly didn’t know people would feel bad for her is because this isn’t the usual persona she’s trying to portray. Yeah, she wants to portray herself as a relatable, awkward, young woman making her way thorough life but her main schtick  since she started making videos is that she is this liberated, authentic, and independent woman and that video completely destroys that. She showed in that video completely the opposite; that she oppresses her own self, that she is inauthentic, and that she is very dependent on her twisted idea of perfection and validation from strangers.  Even if it’s in nice words, pretty much everyone in the comments is calling her fake and a try hard. 

The thing with the concept of “perfection” is that perfection is impossible in most cases and sometimes it’s even subjective. So when a person decides to be a perfectionist, it can create a damaging and twisted environment for yourself and others because you are most likely trying to achieve something that doesn’t even exist to begin with. That is why perfectionists tend to be very anxious people who work unnecessarily hard. 

Ashley’s perspective must be pretty twisted for her to post a video like that and not feel even remotely embarrassed. She’s not exactly having a mental breakdown but in all honesty, there’s too many youtubers putting up videos of them crying or having a breakdown and people always call them courageous for doing that. The thing is that the internet is not a substitute for therapy, and those videos will be up for all eternity even if they chose to delete them. Going to actual therapy, now, that is true courage because first you need to admit that you need help. 

The reason why i think she knew is because imo being awkward and relateable is the image she wants to portray. It isn't the first time she has edited in moment/s that shows her being vulnerable, and she's always seem very consumed in beating the viewers in pointing out her flaws. I don't know if that make sense but that's how i see it.

And i think it's more so she knew people feel bad because of the work she put in, that they admire her effort, and probably not pity her.

Posted

I know we shouldn't armchair diagnose but that video makes her seem very mentally unhealthy to me. It's very obsessive and seems almost compulsive. I'm legitimately worried after watching that... I feel like she has some kind of anxiety or something that she needs to address? 

I can understand youtubers refilming something maybe 2-3 times but she sat there repeating like FIVE WORDS over and over and over again. And then the fact that she does this for 10-20 minute videos? It really concerns me. I just can't see it as normal.

Feels even more odd to think of her doing stuff like randomly interjecting penis jokes into a clothes video, then following it up with "HAHA I should edit this out" but then you realize she filmed that penis joke 20 times before settling on one. 

I'm not at all trying to make fun of her or anything, I think she's a sweet girl, but I feel concerned for her. 

I think Ashley has some crippling self-esteem issues and places a lot of pressure on herself. I think she feels like she needs to be a certain way to be liked by people, which is not true! Even if she dialed back her personality and jokes to 50% or 25% I think her audience would still like her. There are plenty of chill/down to earth youtubers who do just fine. 

Posted

that video... she is a full blown psycho. 

Posted

shes just one of those shitty boring narcissists who pretend that being obsessed with themselves is just a fun little quirk of theirs, and any time they get caught acting like an actual human being they're like "woah im so crazy, such a crackhead, can you even believe me??"

Posted

That video was uncomfortable. I get her second channel is for these "qUiRkY" videos, but may she should rethink what she posts. 

I looked at the comments and I saw many criticizing other viewers for their comments on calling the video uncomfortable or scary, yet I hardly saw any like that? Did she delete those comments???

Posted

That video was uncomfortable. I get her second channel is for these "qUiRkY" videos, but may she should rethink what she posts. 

I looked at the comments and I saw many criticizing other viewers for their comments on calling the video uncomfortable or scary, yet I hardly saw any like that? Did she delete those comments???

If you go through the newest comments most of them are negative, they just don’t get upvoted by Ashley’s worshippers. 

The comments keep saying that it’s normal to do several takes, which I understand but this is much more than several and she even looks like she is about to cry. I’m not a youtuber but this doesn’t seem normal or healthy to me. Is this what she means when she talks about how hard she works on her videos? If it is, it’s sad because this isn’t hard work Ashley, it’s you making your own job (in which you have full creative control of unlike most people) much harder than it needs to be for no good reason. 

Posted (edited)

shes just one of those shitty boring narcissists who pretend that being obsessed with themselves is just a fun little quirk of theirs, and any time they get caught acting like an actual human being they're like "woah im so crazy, such a crackhead, can you even believe me??"

Maybe it’s a brand of narcissism, but I’m starting to think she is one of those “I’m not like other girls” types without explicitly saying it. It occurred to me, sometime after realizing she was taking a swipe at Tana Mongeau (or whatever), that she frequently does this to other women while pointing out or displaying her otherness veiled in relatability... does that make sense?

Edited by andherflowers
had other thoughts.

Posted (edited)

Seeing all the comments here I thought maybe she wanted to continue being relatable by showing how stutterish she can be when filming a video but when i saw it for myself i couldnt even get through the whole thing. Hearing her go over and over in such fast fashion and holding on to her uhms and whatnot just makes it so uncomfortable for me. Plus some has mentioned that she’s on the road which doesn’t make it any better. It just doesnt help that shes saying that its for her vlogs but vlogging should be authentic, or appear to be, and her going “its not what it is!!” just isn’t helpful, like what is it supposed to prove? Rn she just seems like a major perfectionist trying to convince herself that her imperfections are okay, but ironically having problems with the fact that they exist.

Edited by watermelonns