• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

bestdressed/ ashley

5154 posts in this topic

Posted

new video.

while not the most groundbreaking outfits, this seems like the one of most wearable lookbooks she put out in a long time. it feels like she actually put thought into these instead of feeling like she just threw random items together.

Posted

new video was eh for me-- it's just an easy video that she could have made given the time of year. i do think that her outfits were much more wearable than her usual weird shirts under way-too-tight strappy dresses lol

is anyone else tired with all the "scandalous shoulder" jokes? i get that with her demographic being people still going to middle/high school, jokes about outdated (and subliminally sexist) dress codes are still applicable, but she always makes that joke whenever wearing a tank top and it's really redundant. with that said, i remember writing a letter to the school district about unfair dress code regulations when i was in middle school, so whatever

Posted

I’m sure most of her demographic is high school/college students but I feel kind of bored seeing another “school” video when she’s graduated. I hope she moves onto more mature content since she is a young adult now. Like why not title it “outfits to wear out on town” or something? 

Aside from that, while some of her jokes are still a little childish I am glad she seems to have mellowed out since breaking up. Almost no sex jokes here except for the shoulder one. Glad to see her growing up a little. 

Posted

This came up while I was looking at sustainable fashion videos. I have my thoughts on her segment, but I feel maybe it's too nitpicky. However, I can't believe she spent $600 on those boots. I understand that she said she splurges on items that need structural integrity but... they're ugly af! Just had to let that out on the internet.

Posted (edited)

it's been bothering me for years buuut is there any person who actually wears extra short skirts with sweaters and open shoes? same with short skirts with a long sleeved shirt AND a jacket... i mean the fits look cute but actually unwearable imo and yet fashion youtubers are obsessed with these combos:alpacamad: 

i guess they look good in front of the camera, so that's all that matters...

Edited by sinabeuro

Posted

it's been bothering me for years buuut is there any person who actually wears extra short skirts with sweaters and open shoes? same with short skirts with a long sleeved shirt AND a jacket... i mean the fits look cute but actually unwearable imo and yet fashion youtubers are obsessed with these combos:alpacamad: 

i guess they look good in front of the camera, so that's all that matters...

I do lmao. It's mainly because where I live is hot, but my uni classrooms all have freezing AC, so I can put on a thin long sleeved t-shirt and bring a jacket to cover my legs if necessary; and when I leave the classroom, I can drop the jacket and still look decent, or put it on if I stay for a night class.

Also, I just watched her most recent video and yeah, I think she does read this thread lol. I commented awhile ago on how she could have styled that short Ariana Grande dress she thrift flipped like Courtney Love would (combat boots and "tough" look) and her look number 18 is like that (minus the fishnet stockings and dramatic makeup, which is a great loss lol). Even the dress looks way too much like a well-known Courtney Love one, that was even part of her collection with Nasty Gal.

(Pictures under spoiler: first one is the original, second one is the Nasty Gal dress)

fashion-2014-09-courtney-love-babydoll-d

m_5934c3d8d14d7b5558088548.jpg

Posted

Also, I just watched her most recent video and yeah, I think she does read this thread lol. I commented awhile ago on how she could have styled that short Ariana Grande dress she thrift flipped like Courtney Love would (combat boots and "tough" look) and her look number 18 is like that (minus the fishnet stockings and dramatic makeup, which is a great loss lol). Even the dress looks way too much like a well-known Courtney Love one, that was even part of her collection with Nasty Gal

lol this is so circumstantial though and its definitely not valid proof

Posted (edited)

This came up while I was looking at sustainable fashion videos. I have my thoughts on her segment, but I feel maybe it's too nitpicky. However, I can't believe she spent $600 on those boots. I understand that she said she splurges on items that need structural integrity but... they're ugly af! Just had to let that out on the internet.

How can she even say that sustainability is so important to her when she continues to buy fast fashion. She loooves urban outfitters, her last lookbook was full of clothes from there. She had to include a thrifted dress just so she can say she is sustainable as well as those boots from by far (i think).  It just annoys me that she continues to label and portray herself as a "sustainable queen"  and people eat it up. Ashley, just because you keep repeating that you are sustainable doesn't mean that you actually are. Its like she thinks that as long as she says something over and over again, it becomes the truth. Such a hypocrite. 

lol this is so circumstantial though and its definitely not valid proof

Idk but she also mentioned how she used to love tumblr style outfits back in like 2012  and someone mentioned that on this topic so it seems plausible that she reads here. I mean, she deletes negative comments on youtube, she clearly cares about what people say so i wouldn't think its to far of a reach that she reads gossip threads dedicated to her. I know i would lol 

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

speculation here but since this filmed in new york around the time david and ashley broke up. Did David finally get annoyed of Ashley working and then he decided to leave?

Posted (edited)

How can she even say that sustainability is so important to her when she continues to buy fast fashion. She loooves urban outfitters, her last lookbook was full of clothes from there. She had to include a thrifted dress just so she can say she is sustainable as well as those boots from by far (i think).  It just annoys me that she continues to label and portray herself as a "sustainable queen"  and people eat it up. Ashley, just because you keep repeating that you are sustainable doesn't mean that you actually are. Its like she thinks that as long as she says something over and over again, it becomes the truth. Such a hypocrite. 

this!! honestly the main reason why i ever began to dislike her was due to her blatant hypocrisy (those mf by far boots.. lmao). she’s really still trying to push that sustainability persona but never actually comes through. ashley, constantly buying from brandy melville and uo / doing a shitty thrift flip and then reselling almost immediately after doesn’t really constitute you as ~sustainable~ (or stylish for that matter), like when will you finally get the gist? the more you yell at us that you’re sustainable doesn’t actually make you sustainable. like, okay, it’s cool that you have all these cool basic projects like a jewelry line and bonus points for making it affordable, but will it be sustainable? ethically made? interested to see whether or not it will be a sell out. 

i’m amazed but also not really that they featured her for this HB series. the people featured in this series usually wear extremely expensive clothes, and often with questionable taste. i know everybody’s speculating about her moving to new york bc of that wannabe-funny tweet, but i feel like the city would eat her alive. she’s far too proudly attached to the basic ~la~ stereotype persona (that pretty much originated from transplants like her). 

Edited by champagneglass

Posted

Idk but she also mentioned how she used to love tumblr style outfits back in like 2012  and someone mentioned that on this topic so it seems plausible that she reads here. I mean, she deletes  negative comments on youtube, she clearly cares about what people say so i wouldn't think its to far of a reach that she reads gossip threads dedicated to her. I know i would lol 

ah okay sorry i didnt know about her deleting negative comments but in that case i definitely see it more lol thank you

Posted

this!! honestly the main reason why i ever began to dislike her was due to her blatant hypocrisy (those mf by far boots.. lmao). she’s really still trying to push that sustainability persona but never actually comes through. ashley, constantly buying from brandy melville and uo / doing a shitty thrift flip and then reselling almost immediately after doesn’t really constitute you as ~sustainable~ (or stylish for that matter), like when will you finally get the gist? the more you yell at us that you’re sustainable doesn’t actually make you sustainable. like, okay, it’s cool that you have all these cool basic projects like a jewelry line and bonus points for making it affordable, but will it be sustainable? ethically made? interested to see whether or not it will be a sell out. 

i’m amazed but also not really that they featured her for this HB series. the people featured in this series usually wear extremely expensive clothes, and often with questionable taste. i know everybody’s speculating about her moving to new york bc of that wannabe-funny tweet, but i feel like the city would eat her alive. she’s far too proudly attached to the basic ~la~ stereotype persona (that pretty much originated from transplants like her). 

What bothers me  the most about her sustainability bullshit hypocrisy is not even that she continues to buy fast fashion while claiming she is ethical. What bothers me the most is that she can afford to buy sustainable brands, but for some reason she keeps buying cheaply made clothes and accessories from places like urban outfitters when urban outfitters is not even affordable. Girl is spending mad bucks on cheaply made clothes when she could spend that same amount of money, maybe a little more, on clothes that will actually last. But i guess buying from Reformation and by far is not as relatable or profitable to her teenage audience that can barely afford forever21. Every way i see this, she is blatantly and willfully hypocritical. 

Omg moving to new york would be the worst thing for her. She can barely manage to socialize in LA. In new york, unless you really put yourself out there and make an effort to make friends, you will be alone. Of course, this depends on the person and individual experiences but that's kind of why New York has the stereotype of "the place where love goes to die", and as much as everyone hates stereotypes, they almost always derive from some truth. With Ashley's self isolation, i doubt she would thrive in a place like New York. 

As for the HB series, yeah, if you see the comments of those videos that they do, most of them consist of roasting all the women on there and their outfits lol. They are known for being trashy, pretentious, and expensive in a not very cute way.  Ashley thinks that every outfit is edgy as long as she puts on some platform boots and a jacket or shirt with some graphic. She's very basic, even when she's trying to not be basic. 

Im very interested in her jewelry line, which I doubt is sustainable. She doesn't miss a chance to remind us how ethical she is (even though she is not), so there was no reason for her to miss the chance of saying she is coming out with a sustainable jewelry line. If its not ethical/sustainable and she gets called out on it, im sure she will say something like "we all have to start somewhere". There goes her "prestigious" film degree and her supposed film projects.....

Posted

What bothers me  the most about her sustainability bullshit hypocrisy is not even that she continues to buy fast fashion while claiming she is ethical. What bothers me the most is that she can afford to buy sustainable brands, but for some reason she keeps buying cheaply made clothes and accessories from places like urban outfitters when urban outfitters is not even affordable. Girl is spending mad bucks on cheaply made clothes when she could spend that same amount of money, maybe a little more, on clothes that will actually last. But i guess buying from Reformation and by far is not as relatable or profitable to her teenage audience that can barely afford forever21. Every way i see this, she is blatantly and willfully hypocritical. 

Omg moving to new york would be the worst thing for her. She can barely manage to socialize in LA. In new york, unless you really put yourself out there and make an effort to make friends, you will be alone. Of course, this depends on the person and individual experiences but that's kind of why New York has the stereotype of "the place where love goes to die", and as much as everyone hates stereotypes, they almost always derive from some truth. With Ashley's self isolation, i doubt she would thrive in a place like New York. 

As for the HB series, yeah, if you see the comments of those videos that they do, most of them consist of roasting all the women on there and their outfits lol. They are known for being trashy, pretentious, and expensive in a not very cute way.  Ashley thinks that every outfit is edgy as long as she puts on some platform boots and a jacket or shirt with some graphic. She's very basic, even when she's trying to not be basic. 

Im very interested in her jewelry line, which I doubt is sustainable. She doesn't miss a chance to remind us how ethical she is (even though she is not), so there was no reason for her to miss the chance of saying she is coming out with a sustainable jewelry line. If its not ethical/sustainable and she gets called out on it, im sure she will say something like "we all have to start somewhere". There goes her "prestigious" film degree and her supposed film projects.....

I feel like I would have less of a problem with Ashley's hypocrisy if she didn't lean into the labels people give her so much? Like, if she wasn't clearly eating up the "Sustainable QUEENNNNNN" thing and instead was like, "I want to be more sustainable and I try to have that mindset, but I'm still learning and improving" then it wouldn't bother me so much. But instead it's kind of like accepting the idea that you represent sustainability when you are clearly constantly buying fast fashion etc and not living that lifestyle is just kind of more of a slap in the face? It just annoys me every time she talks about sustainability now because it's just SO DAMN OBVIOUS she's not actually about that life. Which is fine, but just don't mislead everyone. Idk, just in general I wish Youtubers possessed more humility, but I just keep being disappointed by them (my own fault at this point). 

Also I was impressed she was on HB at first cuz it seems big and like a sign she's made it, but apparently not based on the way you guys describe it lol

The only benefit I could see of her moving to New York would be being able to visit her family (it's only a 5 hr bus ride between the two), and the fact that she already has one friend there. Also the fact that she could get away from the LA incest-fest of awful and crappy Youtubers. Hm...as I write this her moving to New York doesn't seem so terrible. Sure, she'd be lonely/isolated...but she already is. I can see very little benefit for her staying in LA....except to get involved with the film industry, which she really doesn't seem to want to do (and she could do more independent film stuff in NY, which I sense is more her thing). 

Posted

What bothers me the most is her hypocrisy as well. In addition to buying from fast fashion brands, she talks about buying clothes. It's like these woke upper middle class/upper class young liberals don't understand the basics of economics. If you demand (or promote the demand) companies will continually supply, even the high end ones. As cool as the thought of starting a make up and/or clothing brand is, the fact of the matter is that too many of them exist when they don't need to. Real sustainable lifestyle influencers truly recycle and allow themselves to be "boring" because that is life, if you want to save the planet. You can't buy sustainable, yet keeping buying, buying, buying just because you want a paycheck. If you're going to talk the talk, realize that here is more to the walk than just WHAT you purchase; it's also the FREQUENCY. Oh, and maybe keep doing your resell shop because there are girls/women in the midwest and rural areas that don't have access to cool, trendy thrift pieces.

My other gripe (as highlighted in her HB segment) is the "sustainable is elitest". Yes, most sustainable brands are expensive af, but she misses the whole point on the WHY. If you're going to be woke, then you should probably highlight that the price tag of a sustainable brand is what a garment when it's 1. Well made and 2. Being created/manufactured by people that are getting paid a livable wage and benefits to boot. It's not elitist in any way because that's what we want in Western countries - to be paid a livable wage. If you don't want to pay that, then focus on brands paying their foreign labor a livable wage according to THEIR country, because that would be cheaper. Sustainable brands aren't just expensive because it's for rich IG girls! I mean, she loves spewing out "woke" political talking points so much, why not bring up the whole conversation and show how all these issues are interlinked... OH, and maybe don't be just a Western feminist with your shoulder jokes!

Posted (edited)

What bothers me the most is her hypocrisy as well. In addition to buying from fast fashion brands, she talks about buying clothes. It's like these woke upper middle class/upper class young liberals don't understand the basics of economics. If you demand (or promote the demand) companies will continually supply, even the high end ones. As cool as the thought of starting a make up and/or clothing brand is, the fact of the matter is that too many of them exist when they don't need to. Real sustainable lifestyle influencers truly recycle and allow themselves to be "boring" because that is life, if you want to save the planet. You can't buy sustainable, yet keeping buying, buying, buying just because you want a paycheck. If you're going to talk the talk, realize that here is more to the walk than just WHAT you purchase; it's also the FREQUENCY. Oh, and maybe keep doing your resell shop because there are girls/women in the midwest and rural areas that don't have access to cool, trendy thrift pieces.

My other gripe (as highlighted in her HB segment) is the "sustainable is elitest". Yes, most sustainable brands are expensive af, but she misses the whole point on the WHY. If you're going to be woke, then you should probably highlight that the price tag of a sustainable brand is what a garment when it's 1. Well made and 2. Being created/manufactured by people that are getting paid a livable wage and benefits to boot. It's not elitist in any way because that's what we want in Western countries - to be paid a livable wage. If you don't want to pay that, then focus on brands paying their foreign labor a livable wage according to THEIR country, because that would be cheaper. Sustainable brands aren't just expensive because it's for rich IG girls! I mean, she loves spewing out "woke" political talking points so much, why not bring up the whole conversation and show how all these issues are interlinked... OH, and maybe don't be just a Western feminist with your shoulder jokes!

I think the problem is that she wants to seem woke without actually doing all the work and research that comes with being an informed person, which is strange considering how academically "smart" she is. Because of this, she just ends up spewing whatever buzzwords or phrases she can think of in order to sound informed. Also, this is more of an observation, but I have come to notice that she talks very fast. Yeah, talking fast is a bad habit that some people might have, but its also a thing that some people consciously do in order to sound like they are smarter. To me, they just sound supremely annoying, but that's just my opinion. 

I agree that she doesn't seem to understand the core concepts of sustainable and ethical fashion, which is not only about buying from ethical sources, but to buy less and to use it as much as you can. There's so many brands coming out with sustainability as their main attraction, which is good don't get me wrong, but do we really need hundreds of more companies making more clothes, regardless of how they're made? I much rather prefer seeing someone buy from fast fashion brands, in small quantities, and using the items as much as they can. What's the point of buying and buying clothes from Reformation if you will soon get bored of it and get rid of them? You're still adding to the pollution. The environment doesn't care if your clothes came from Reformation or Forever21. 

In conclusion, she shouldn't label herself as a sustainable influencer, because she clearly isn't and she is aware of it. Like   @kicksthis said, this wouldn't be a problem if she just said that she tries to incorporate sustainability in her fashion consumption, but instead she keeps accepting and promoting the label of being a fashion youtuber who focuses on sustainability and who is "very passionate" about it, as she said on that video. Its like if  said i was vegan just because i ate meat a few times a month. I still eat meat, eating mostly vegetables doesn't make me a vegan. Makes no sense. She keeps buying fast fashion but she never does hauls where she shows them. She only does hauls when she thrifts or gets something from a sustainable brand. She's shady. 

Edited by DreamyCat