• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

bestdressed/ ashley

4789 posts in this topic

Posted

couldn’t have said it better. I’m not Asian, I’m black but the Asian studies department has tirelessly made sure to keep students updated on black talks on campus since no one else will so for her to dragged all races into her misinformation is annoying. This is why I believe staying silent isn’t that bad because there are people like Ashley who don’t care about race issues and when forced to talk about them say bs like this. 

This!! Honestly if Ashley had kept quiet about George Floyd's situation like how she kept quiet about discrimination against Asians amidst covid-19 issues, she wouldn't have had this level of backlash. Even just a simple retweet or screenshot of the news would've been better than giving her own input which diverted the topic of racism against black people. The whole thing just seems not just tone-deaf 

It's weird how she said that black activism would've taken away from Asian activism and then all the Asian influencers who are extremely vocal about Asian activism (the ones who live/have resided in America) that I see are posting about George Floyd, showing articles on black people's opinions on it, and giving links to donation or petition sites. Being intimidated by the activism of other races isn't a them problem, it's a her problem.

Ashley reminds of me of a few acquaintances I follow on Instagram. They are reluctant to label themselves as feminist or say that they're for women's/poc's rights because people might assume that they're a SJW. The association between civil rights and SJW culture came from gaslighting by mass media, which is an attempt to trivialize the efforts of civil rights. These people along with Ashley are correct in that sense; they're not for civil rights and social equality because they're clearly too privileged and worried about the opinions of others to do so. 

Posted

already saw someone on twitter call ashley an "educated queen" and tons of people are sharing her ig stories as if she made points with them.... I'm done. influencers get shit all the time but why is ashley seemingly so untouchable from criticism? why have her fans put her on such a high pedestal where she can do no wrong? i don't get it

Posted

WTF was that dumbass story.... she criticized nothing, she supported nothing. Better to not have said anything at all. She's proof that graduating cum laude doesn't mean you are intelligent.

Posted

Can she just stick to making look books and fashion videos ffs, I’d find her more likeable and less problematic if she stop making unnecessary comments on sensitive issues, she’s obviously not emphatic and genuine enough to talk about these socio-political topics. 

Posted

wow, holy shit she actually said that. what kind of person even thinks like that??? is everything just some sick competition to her?? I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt but reading that and seeing her proudly announce that she's taking a Yale class by a white guy it's really disturbing...

Oh, the answer to why she said black and brown issues take away from Asian ones is quite simple: Their lives don't matter to her as much as Asian and white ones do. I have heard Asians spin this narrative over and over again to align themselves with white people and solidify their place as the "desirable, docile POC." It's disgusting, and Ashley rides that narrative as hard as she claims to ride white D. 

I can almost 100% guarantee you she is not attending to that course in any way. She is passively stepping on the backs of POC in order to win a gold star. It was for social media. I mean seriously, does anyone really think she's sitting there, taking notes and internalizing anything she's seen in the lecture? As an individual who hasn't even made it to 25, Ashley might as well have been brought up in the 60's. Sooo many black and brown lives have been taken and their deaths have been publicized since she was little. Yet she *just now* figured out this was an issue?

This girl has officially proven herself to be dangerous. Spewing bad advice to minors regarding healthy sex and relationships, promoting passive wokeness, insulting mothers over and over again. I mean, she said it was disgusting to give birth IN FRONT OF HALEY PHAM'S MOM in her Vidcon video. Haley's mom had to correct her. 

I hope Ashley becomes a case study of how passiveness can be just as—if not more—dangerous than overt harm. 

Posted

She could've shared posts regarding BLM on her IG story or shared petitions supporting BLM and that would've been good to show support passively...

But no, she had to put her two fucking cents and tried to appear as woke

Posted (edited)

Man, blaming your education for not having a slightest idea about racism? Now is not time to turn uwu hehe just innocent unknowing girl~ That's exactly how privileged she is.

She could at least sell some of her old clothes and donate profits so she could again be #justatypicalgirl #notrich and #sustainable #woke without having to give up her precious hard-earned funds.

She clearly knows she fucked up. Maybe next she'll hire a PR firm.

Edited by cozycappuccino

Posted

I watched the the video about Ashley being privileged and not being a feminist from Sankavi someone linked to a couple of pages back - and it is such a good video! I really recommend watching it, because the woman in the vid, Sankavi, is very articulate, makes a lot of good points AND she is very good at reflecting about being a woman of color and having her own struggles, but also acknowledging privileges she has and how Ashley, who is way more privileged than her, doesn't acknowledges any of hers and even spins her racks-to-riches-story. Also, Sankavi dropped out of college and talks about Ashley's elitism and I find it so ironic, how Ashley feels so important and superior to others for going to UCLA and having a college degree, whereas other women, who have dropped out are so much more articulate, mature and able to have a distinct conversation about privilege and politics. I mean, we all know, that a degree doesn't make you a fucking better, superior and smarter person by default, but that's what Ashley thinks and it is so funny to see how she mentioned in her e-girl vid some super basic feminist stuff and proudly proclaimed that she learned that in film school and other women of color make nuanced vids and are relatable, all without a 100k-degree.

I'll link Sankavi's vid in the spoiler, so anybody interested can have a look without going a couple pages back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlH-yEuxz8

Posted (edited)

Also, Sankavi dropped out of college and talks about Ashley's elitism and I find it so ironic, how Ashley feels so important and superior to others for going to UCLA and having a college degree, whereas other women, who have dropped out are so much more articulate, mature and able to have a distinct conversation about privilege and politics. I mean, we all know, that a degree doesn't make you a fucking better, superior and smarter person by default, but that's what Ashley thinks and it is so funny to see how she mentioned in her e-girl vid some super basic feminist stuff and proudly proclaimed that she learned that in film school and other women of color make nuanced vids and are relatable, all without a 100k-degree.

This is more of an upbringing thing. Asian parents put such a huge emphasis on education, it's crazy. Asian parents are so hellbent on making you feel like a piece of shit and practically worthless until you finish a college degree. (Speaking in general, not specifically.) 

Even if what you said about having a degree not making you a better, smarter person is true, it's a lot to unlearn because it's directly hinged to your self-worth. 

ETA: I don’t think I communicated myself clearly. I was talking from the fact that she’s too privileged and self-absorbed and basically stupid to understand that she should be growing out of those beliefs. 

Edited by la_rosalia

Posted

not that it detracts from ashley's performative value signal about educating herself on black issues, but the lecturer johnathan holloway is a black man. the lighting in that phone recording just didn't do him any favors. 

Hidden Content

My bad, i'll fix my comment!

Posted

This is more of an upbringing thing. Asian parents put such a huge emphasis on education, it's crazy. Asian parents are so hellbent on making you feel like a piece of shit and practically worthless until you finish a college degree. (Speaking in general, not specifically.) 

Even if what you said about having a degree not making you a better, smarter person is true, it's a lot to unlearn because it's directly hinged to your self-worth. 

Yes, that's is definitely true, I have such parents myself. I think it can led to having this understanding just for yourself, i.e. "it's fine if others don't have a degree, but I'm worthless if I don't have one" or if it's your whole worldview "everyone without a degree is worthless and people with one are superior". Of course our own thinking is shaped by the believes and values of our parents, so yeah I can see where it is coming from, but Ashley is 22, lived already in 2 of the biggest cities in the US, is well educated and still makes snide comments about younger girls or other influencers in general dropping out of high school or college, people she calls her friends on social media. My parents for example also made very foul comments about people, who are unemployed, may it be between jobs or because of other reasons all throughout my childhood and teen years, heck, my father is super racist and sexist, but just because I grew up with those believes, doesn't mean I have to think the same way. I think 22 is definitely an age to form one's own opinion and to reflect on how my parents see the world and how I see it. Ashley choose the arts instead of stem and also finished up after her undergraduate and isn't planing on doing a master's or phd, so I would assume that she is not blindly relying on her parents wishes and values, so she is more than able to not put other people down for not having a degree or making herself out as better for having one.