• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

bestdressed/ ashley

4791 posts in this topic

Posted

Well there is no way to know other than looking at the facts.

if it was fine, she would not want to delete all the comments and erase herself from selling pr stuff. The same applies for deleting the amazon video. 
i just look at the facts and im sure it rubs people the wrong way. Period.

Posted

Regarding selling PR, tbh I don’t think any company would agree to the influencer selling their products. If a customer is going to buy their products, they should be going to the company, not to the influencer. The influencer’s job is to take pictures with the PR products and post them on social media, that’s it. I worked in different retail shops before, the shops do sponsorships and send PR products but I’ve never heard of them letting influencers sell the products. Sometimes if it’s a designer brand (when the item is super expensive or limited edition) the influencer actually has to return the product after taking pictures and getting paid for the collab.

There’s no way a company would agree to Ashley selling their products, that’s why she’s sneakily selling them on depop, but not on her bestdressed store. 

Not to mention, it’s disrespectful to the company that she’s selling the products, like she doesn’t even have a slight interest in the product she’d just sell it. Tbh I think some influencers would sell PR too, but they probably won’t be stupid enough to sell it on a depop account with the real name lol at least make a fake account or use their friends’ accounts to sell them so the company wouldn’t find out.

As someone who used to receive buttloads of PR, I know that there were a few explicitly stated rules that I was given about them. Obviously I can't say that every single person has the same circumstances or rules, but mine that I remember were:

1. FTC disclaimer if I post about it on my blog/Instagram/etc.
2. Do not sell or give away (NGL I still gave away a majority of what I was receiving to my little sister, but no way was I gonna sell anything that I had received for free)

The companies themselves never really enforced it or like 'checked up' on me to see if I had posted about them or given away their product or whatever, but I was a little bit too much of a goody-two shoes to just wholly ignore those rules, so I wouldn't even give my friends my extra PR. Just my sister, because I figured she's "of my household" and "doesn't count." LOL.

As mentioned earlier, I had no idea she was deleting comments BUT I've worked with a fashion brand before and there are, surprisingly, a lot of weird conditions in contracts. I also have a friend who's an influencer and she doesn't sell her PR, but she was "encouraged" not to donate them as she the brand didn't want to be associated with people who aren't their market. (Yes, they're assholes, but they're in brand management. Comes with the territory.)

Yes, this was my experience basically. I don't think it was a contract or a law or anything, but my 'rules' were not to give things away.

Posted (edited)

Well there is no way to know other than looking at the facts.

if it was fine, she would not want to delete all the comments and erase herself from selling pr stuff. The same applies for deleting the amazon video. 
i just look at the facts and im sure it rubs people the wrong way. Period.

Her deleting comments speaks more for her inability to face criticism, rather than being caught red-handed doing something illegal. She's not a criminal, but she is an asshole.

From my understanding, if you're an influencer contacted by the company to exchange goods—i.e., you get a product while they get a post x times with x keywords and whatever else condition—the goods are yours to do as you please. PR, on the other hand, is more of the chance to get free press, which is completely different from an x-deal, because the company gives it as more of a, "Hey, we like you, so here, try this out and if you like it, post about us!" situation.

Again, we'll never know which is which, but yes, questionable morals and a red flag for severe hypocrisy. 

Not to mention, it’s disrespectful to the company that she’s selling the products, like she doesn’t even have a slight interest in the product she’d just sell it. Tbh I think some influencers would sell PR too, but they probably won’t be stupid enough to sell it on a depop account with the real name lol at least make a fake account or use their friends’ accounts to sell them so the company wouldn’t find out.

This, I completely agree with. If you're gonna do something dumb on the internet, at least do it under a made up name and a fake moustache.

Edited by la_rosalia

Posted

I am far from being a completely selfless person but I don't think I could look at myself in the mirror knowing that there is a shelter for violence victims somewhere near me, full of women in need of skincare and clothes and I'm over here selling the crap I don't need to teenagers on depop. NY and LA are full of places where troubled people need literally anything you could possibly come up with, from food to tampons. She can afford anything she wants as far as crap like make up and clothes go, why not give back and share the things she gets FOR FREE? I can only understand selling excess PR when you're a small creator but Ashely's nothing but rich & sleazy.

Are homeless women not good enough for her UO rags?

All the things she's done before are srsly mild compared to this. I really don't care about her bad humor and fashion sense anymore, she needs a serious reality check. When is this going to blow up? 

YES this whole comment sums up what I hate about her.

She preaches sustainability but at the end of the day she is cheap and sleazy and will do anything to make an extra dollar when she doesn't need it.  She is selfish and cheap, and I hope she grows out of it because she is still so young... but I doubt it.

Posted

I’ve kind of been refraining from posting this because I wanted to know if Ashley would mention something without seeing it on a gossip forum first. But Gordon Ramsey was in our home town recently and he did a whole episode fixing up parts of the historic district of Ellicott City.

This was huge news because that area suffered a lot of loses during two huge floods, and there were a lot of people and small businesses impacted. After the episode aired, there was a lot of love for Ellicott City and Gordon Ramsey all over social media. 

I get Ashley is a fashion channel etc. But it’s just a little odd to me that she makes no mention of this. She’s certainly very disconnected.

Here’s the link to the episode if anyone was curious 

https://youtu.be/aYVw-HJrS44

Posted

It's becoming quite clear Ashley its pretty much disconnected from everything and that's why she's always late for trends (not knowing taika waititi, or Sandra oh on killing eve sidenote but didn't she won an Emmy for acting on it?) I agree with everything about her latest video, "according to "x" major" is quite a trend on yt so I get putting she's a film major on the title would probably giver her more engagement but the fact that she tried three times and this is what she got it's telling lol.

Also, I don't get why she had to film herself for a video like this? she was crying on Instagram about how hard it was to "pretend to be happy for the camera" but she could have easily just formatted this as a voiceover? it's not a fashion video where she shows clothes or something she's just talking.

About selling PR, I know sometimes people get put on a pr list without them having to actually advertise the stuff they get, but her deleting her whole depop account the minute she got caught makes it obvious she was probably not supposed to do that and knew it was quite shady to be selling stuff that she got for free lol. 

I'm wondering if she'll address anything at all because some of her fans started to catch on and got blocked when asking her to address the situation, which is never a good look.

Posted

As someone already stated, Ashley is definitely not the only influencer selling pr, generally I find it immoral to sell stuff you get free to advertise and being paid for to do so, but I can at least understand if smaller influencers do it if they are in a financially though spot. It is not the most awesome thing, but if you struggle to pay rent one month for whatever reason, yeah go and sell that extra make up and stuff. But Ashley is not in a financially though spot. 

And the other thing is, if you are an influencer and sell your pr gift, ffs don't do it in a way that can be traced effortless back to you. The whole thing with influencers is, that they are the person next door, the friend that is recommending something to you. A person you can relate to and who's opinion is honest and believable. If it comes to light that you proudly pose with a big smile on your face with certain items on your social media to advertise them and a month or two later you sell these exact items, it is not a good look and your whole influencer persona seems dishonest. If people catch on that you are actually not that fond or proud for owning item X, you loose integrity. And if you loose integrity as an influencer you are fucked. You can be the smartest and most beautiful person ever, but it doesn't matter if people think you can't be trusted and you are fake. That's why it is not worth to sell pr for $30 bucks, damaging your image and integrity isn't worth the $30. And yeah, IF you sell stuff, be smart about it and don't get caught.

I wouldn't be surprised if all former listed clothing items that can be identified as pr gifts in Ashley's store and depop can be found as ads in her instagram postings. Wonder how much pr gifts she sold when she went to this flea market in LA to sell her clothes before the move?

Posted

Just looked at her insta story, looks like she’s filming a thrift flip, probably cause people have been telling her they prefer fashion videos and she probably is doing this to rebuild her ~sustainable~ image after we called her out on amazon nasty gal etc

I’m actually kinda looking forward to it, I miss her thrift flips, she actually got me into thrifting

Posted

I have watched Ashley/Bestdressed videos for around 2 years, just when she began to become really popular. 
I too have begun to question some of her more offensive/sexual jokes, her missteps with sponsorship and her image, and I have also noticed there seems to be a decline in her wellbeing over the past few months. 

I had not found discourse that mirrored my thoughts on YouTube or the r/bestdressed subreddit. I have only today found this thread. Reading these comments I have confirmed I am not the only person who feels as though she is going through an identity crisis and has been making perhaps questionable decisions in terms of her branding and sponsorship. 

However I do feel a lot of empathy for Ashley. She is trying to find the balance between being a successful Youtuber and influencer (which seems to also come with the ruthlessness of an entertainment-focused industry) as well as a role model for for her young, female audience base (which benefits from kindness and selflessness). Obviously other influencers have struck this balance before, but I don't think that means it's easy. She has also recently moved to a new city and then been put under lockdown, which is a trigger for poorer mental wellbeing. 

With great power comes great responsibility. I don't think she/her team have wielded that responsibility carefully in the past few months and she should be criticised for this. I am disappointed she has not participated in discussion around this criticism, her deletion of the Amazon sponsorship content, etc. It would show maturity and growth. I am also interested that she likes to talk about her poor mental wellbeing, but does not talk about seeking help. I think discussions around help-seeking behaviour would show maturity. 

I agree that when you amass a vulnerable population who hang on to your every word, you should be held accountable for the things you say. But I like to think Ashley has the capacity to accept criticism, change practice, grow as a person and a businesswoman, and be a responsible influencer. 

Posted

Even if she does do a thrift flip video it's not gonna be the same. She's only doing this as damage control. She's definitely has lost the passion for creating youtube videos considering she lost her zest for life in quarantine video. Her videos are late and they don't have that authentic feeling anymore. 

Posted

I couldn't even watch the whole tv shows vid. She talks too much or too fast to even understand..

Posted

I’ve kind of been refraining from posting this because I wanted to know if Ashley would mention something without seeing it on a gossip forum first. But Gordon Ramsey was in our home town recently and he did a whole episode fixing up parts of the historic district of Ellicott City.

This was huge news because that area suffered a lot of loses during two huge floods, and there were a lot of people and small businesses impacted. After the episode aired, there was a lot of love for Ellicott City and Gordon Ramsey all over social media. 

I get Ashley is a fashion channel etc. But it’s just a little odd to me that she makes no mention of this. She’s certainly very disconnected.

Here’s the link to the episode if anyone was curious 

https://youtu.be/aYVw-HJrS44

That would include admitting that she is not actually from a small town, so I doubt Ashley is ever going to address it. 

(also as someone who is actually from a small town in the middle of nowhere, her hometown looks really nice and I’m jealous) 

Posted

I'm interested in seeing the thrift flip but I can't see it being anything other than rushed & lazy, damage control. Her videos lately have declined in quality and imo her last thrift flips were kinda whatever. I'm happy she's finally deciding to do something fashion related though. (im not gonna count the nyfw videos because they basically had nothing to do with fashion lol)  Her fans voted on an old poll (few weeks ago) of hers to make something fashion related if I remember correctly? 

Posted (edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlH-yEuxz8

got this one recommended to me. looks like it's pretty fresh, non of ashley's crazies have gotten to it yet lmao.

i wish she went into more detail about the amazon/pr stuff (she kind of brushes over them like it's not as big of a deal and idk how I feel about that?) but she goes into detail about ashley's privileged upbringing and even did research on her hometown. thoughts?

EDIT:

I'm interested in seeing the thrift flip but I can't see it being anything other than rushed & lazy, damage control. Her videos lately have declined in quality and imo her last thrift flips were kinda whatever. I'm happy she's finally deciding to do something fashion related though. (im not gonna count the nyfw videos because they basically had nothing to do with fashion lol)  Her fans voted on an old poll (few weeks ago) of hers to make something fashion related if I remember correctly? 

wait, so you're telling me, she makes polls about what content to make but then doesn't make the content that people most voted for???????

Edited by &thenBOOM