• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

bestdressed/ ashley

5154 posts in this topic

Posted

Isn't everything about Ashley very shallow though?

Just like you guys said, all the series she recommended are pretty standard and well known, and she also just gave a quick summary. The same with her movie recommendations (500 days of summer, gone girl, etc...)..
I mean, I don't need her to recommend us some Pinku Euga or some other super niche movies, but for a film student, I still expected something more interesting? For someone who makes fun of anything mainstream, her taste sure is pretty basic.

The same goes with her view on feminism. Or sex. Or about life in general.
In reality, she only barely scratches the surface on all the topics she is talking about, but she talks very fast and use fancy words to seem more deep and intelligent...

Posted (edited)

Honestly, if she wanted to incorporate her film degree in her channel, why not talk about costume design in films? I think that's a unique way to tie two things together. It's not a new idea for a video, but it's something I think she could work with if she puts in the effort. She could even dress as a character and explain the importance of those costume choices and what they add to the film. Kind of like Safiya's decade videos, but make it film. 

yeah like something micarah tewers (a youtuber who does DIYs and costumes) has done with Little Women. I think Micarah is self-taught, too, but it shows that you don't necessarily need formal schooling in something to have an informed and/or interesting opinion. But I think Ashley does't actually have enough interest in fashion beyond wearing what's flattering on herself to make interesting videos on costume design. It brings to mind that disastrous video Jenn Im did where she tried to recreate outfits from paintings.

Edited by PeanutButterr
grammar

Posted

sorry I just wanted to make a few points here before I take a break --

I know ashley graduated from film school but it seems like she was more involved in film production than in film criticism? like I kinda understand why she has shallow interpretations of movies/TV shows to share -- she's not well-versed or trained in film criticism. i'm not trying to defend her or anything, but if she's more trained in film production, wouldn't it make more sense that she wouldn't know how to talk more deeply about films and TV shows? as i've mentioned before, i took a few film courses for fun in university and they were more film theory courses, so i walked away with a deeper understanding of film as an art form, but i don't know a single thing about film production or how to literally *make* a film. but at the same time, i do think it's misleading for her to title the video with "according to a film major" because she kinda just spent the entire video... recapping the plot of these TV shows and not going in-depth either from a critical point of view OR from even a production point of view

also - there was one point she said that kind of bothered me. it was around 15:50 when she started talking about her ex in relation to jigsaw. she said she stopped talking about feminism or stopped bringing up certain points around her ex-boyfriend because she felt that her ex couldn't relate or engage. first off - actually scratch that, i don't even want to address the point of shading an ex on the internet (considering we all know who one of those exes are). second - WHO was she DATING? honestly like i understand molding parts of you to match the person you're dating - to an extent. for example, one of my exes was super into old school video games, so i tried to learn about that topic to get to know him and his interests better. but feminism??? this might just be part of the whole criticism i have about her misguided feminist theories and i know that feminism covers a wide array of social movements and ideologies, but for the most part, one of the most basic tenets is advocating for the right of women on the basis of equality of sexes. like what kind of man is she dating that she's too afraid to bring up feminism with him????? honestly, if it's a contentious hot button issue, i might understand why you wouldn't bring certain issues up, but... i'd never date anyone who i was too afraid to discuss feminism with. i mean, i guess it's good they broke up but girl.... i'd never try to mold myself and disregard my own beliefs in the first place.

It brings to mind that disastrous video Jenn Im did where she tried to recreate outfits from paintings.

honestly, that was one of the worst videos i've ever seen on youtube. not to get too off-topic but to this day, i still don't understand how jenn COMPLETELY missed the point and then she got all sensitive about it because the comments were suggesting that maybe she should try to create more everyday outfit reminiscent of the paintings, not buy cheap clothing off internet to literally recreate outfits

Posted

she doesn't have any education or formal experience in fashion, so those would be very shallow analyses. at the very least she could do lookbooks inspired by films/characters she likes, but she'd rather make vlogs that require no effort while racking up sponsorship money on instagram. 

I don't think she necessarily needs to have an education in fashion in order to do a good analysis if it veers more on film discussion than the outfits itself. There are film YTs who have made videos discussing costume design (Costume Design: The Hidden Layer of Movie Magic & How a Costume Designer Creates an Iconic Look). I think it could work if she approached it as a fun idea or took her time with it, but all of her film videos are made so she can make use of her "useless" degree. Doing a lookbook based on characters/films she likes would be such a cute idea, but you're right that it's way too much effort for her. All her previous videos end up so low effort and come from a shitty angle that it's hard to imagine her doing something of this scale.  

Posted

i mean i just really don’t think she knows enough about film to warrant it becoming a main topic on her channel. she completed the film program in like 2.5 years and never showed a lot of interest so it’s just funny that she’s trying to flex her degree all of the sudden. i think she’s losing interest in fashion videos and looking for excuses to branch out as a commentary vlogger 

Posted

I know ashley graduated from film school but it seems like she was more involved in film production than in film criticism? like I kinda understand why she has shallow interpretations of movies/TV shows to share -- she's not well-versed or trained in film criticism. i'm not trying to defend her or anything, but if she's more trained in film production, wouldn't it make more sense that she wouldn't know how to talk more deeply about films and TV shows? as i've mentioned before, i took a few film courses for fun in university and they were more film theory courses, so i walked away with a deeper understanding of film as an art form, but i don't know a single thing about film production or how to literally *make* a film. but at the same time, i do think it's misleading for her to title the video with "according to a film major" because she kinda just spent the entire video... recapping the plot of these TV shows and not going in-depth either from a critical point of view OR from even a production point of view

agree w/ this, but an undergraduate major is supposed to be a broad overview of a topic even if one has a concentration, so i'm sure she's taken at least some courses in film theory or criticism. Can't imagine one of the best film programs in the US not having those courses in their curriculum. also idk i've known people who've never studied any film but had more original and interesting thoughts on movies/TV than Ashley

Posted

sorry I just wanted to make a few points here before I take a break --

also - there was one point she said that kind of bothered me. it was around 15:50 when she started talking about her ex in relation to jigsaw. she said she stopped talking about feminism or stopped bringing up certain points around her ex-boyfriend because she felt that her ex couldn't relate or engage. first off - actually scratch that, i don't even want to address the point of shading an ex on the internet (considering we all know who one of those exes are). second - WHO was she DATING? honestly like i understand molding parts of you to match the person you're dating - to an extent. for example, one of my exes was super into old school video games, so i tried to learn about that topic to get to know him and his interests better. but feminism??? this might just be part of the whole criticism i have about her misguided feminist theories and i know that feminism covers a wide array of social movements and ideologies, but for the most part, one of the most basic tenets is advocating for the right of women on the basis of equality of sexes. like what kind of man is she dating that she's too afraid to bring up feminism with him????? honestly, if it's a contentious hot button issue, i might understand why you wouldn't bring certain issues up, but... i'd never date anyone who i was too afraid to discuss feminism with. i mean, i guess it's good they broke up but girl.... i'd never try to mold myself and disregard my own beliefs in the first place.

honestly, that was one of the worst videos i've ever seen on youtube. not to get too off-topic but to this day, i still don't understand how jenn COMPLETELY missed the point and then she got all sensitive about it because the comments were suggesting that maybe she should try to create more everyday outfit reminiscent of the paintings, not buy cheap clothing off internet to literally recreate outfits

I think the point people are hung up on is if she's going to mention in the title that she was a film major then she better have a point to even bringing that up. She could have left that part out but oh no, Ashley needed to bring that part up as if it has any significance in her video (which it didn't). 

Tbh, at this point it's clear she dates guys for the companionship and sex. She'd literally be down to get with a random guy off the street so I'm not surprised how not compatible she was with her exes if their relationship was so superficial. Let's not forget in a video she was telling us how she wanted to have sex so much that her ex got tired/annoyed and proceeded to tell us he broke her bed? lol

She needs to find someone who matches her or compliments/balances her personality. The hard part is her personality is literally at least 50% about sex which makes her candidates mostly tinder guys. Maybe she's not meant to be in meaningful relationships seeing as how immature and horny she is. I'm just waiting for the day she grows tf up. 

Posted

agree w/ this, but an undergraduate major is supposed to be a broad overview of a topic even if one has a concentration, so i'm sure she's taken at least some courses in film theory or criticism. Can't imagine one of the best film programs in the US not having those courses in their curriculum. also idk i've known people who've never studied any film but had more original and interesting thoughts on movies/TV than Ashley

ah gotcha, makes sense. she does talk about how great and selective her film program is, so i can't imagine she'd walk away without having taken classroom-based film courses as well. 

I think the point people are hung up on is if she's going to mention in the title that she was a film major then she better have a point to even bringing that up. She could have left that part out but oh no, Ashley needed to bring that part up as if it has any significance in her video (which it didn't). 

lol yeah, i def agree. if she's coming at us with a film major's perspective, i was expecting a lot more depth in her explanations as a film major, even if it's from one aspect that she's into or something, e.g. cinematography 

Posted

Does anyone think she brought up House MD and her Australian boy crush just in hopes that he's watching this and will reach out to her? It already feels like her insta feed is curated for like one or two specific boys. Maybe it sounds farfetched but we already know that she's a hopeless romantic and loves the idea of some long lost middle school crush reconnecting with her, just like To All The Boys I've Loved Before. It seems like that was more or less the only comment she had to make on House.

Posted

I watched Ashley's newest vid and I haven't watched most of the shows so it was nice to get an overview of some of them. Also, I'm a fiLm Major at a top school and as a film major you learn a little about film theory stuff, but after the basic requirements you don't really have to take classes on it. And honestly, I find those classes pretty boring so I don't really take them lol I stick with classes where the focus is writing or producing films. Even as a film major I will admit I'm kind of bad at talking about movies! I've never been really interested in film theory, but many schools have a completely different major for that my school has "cinema studies." So I don't blame Ashley for her kinda shallow reviews but yeah she doesn't need to act like just bc she has a film degree that makes her highly qualified to review films.

Also, I often regret my college choice bc I'm gonna graduate with a shitload of debt, but even though Ashley always talks about how useless her degree is it's like at least acknowledge you had the privilege of graduating debt-free! Like that is such a huge advantage after graduating college you can basically do whatever you want!

Posted

tbh I wish she would mention more films that the general audience might not know too much about. like it’s okay to like popular things, but she keeps having this basic outtakes on movies and shows that is widely known by the general public. maybe a handful of them aren’t as popular but I think she could have more insight as her being this critically acclaimed film student that she was. @pameluft on instagram is kinda in that area. she’s a film student and does some fashion as well but she posts and speaks about films as well but she’s also actively planning to do things with her film degree and actively is apart of filmmaking projects and magazines. it would be cool to see ashley do something with her film knowledge and really branch out. I don’t think the audience would be upset if she incorporated some filming into her channel but her constantly reviewing films and tv shows is kinda boring because she doesn’t really have a new or hot take on it. it’s like things the majority have said. i’m not comparing her and pameluft, I just seen them in the similarities and what they do and ashley has a bigger audience so it would be cool to see something with her degree and incorporating fashion or something new and innovative 

Posted

i barely made it past the intro on the new video lol. it seems like it should be on her second channel? also totally not surprised that ashley likes big mouth 

Posted

Seriously, it makes me so uncomfortable when youtubers say stuff like that in their videos, constantly pointing out that its US they're overworking themselves for, that it's all for OUR enjoyment when no one is asking them to do that. Literally no one cares that much. Do they think they're the only channel their subscribers keep up with? Ashley is the brightest example of that. The way she talks about maintaining her channel sounds like it's a chore she's being forced to do and like it's not really her fault that she developed toxic work habits, but her audience's because they're too demanding. Sometimes I wanna shake those people and tell them to go and talk to someone who isn't a part of their little YT bubble and get some real perspective. No one demands YTbers to be content making machines and no one cares if they go MIA for a month. They're the first to yell about how youtube should be considered a normal job, but they refuse to act like they're working a normal job aka take vacations and sick leave when they're having mental health issues. All that so they can whine about how overworked they are and make everyone feel sorry for them.

I totally agree. This is one of my biggest complaints about her. I don't come across other youtubers who do this, but she acts like she's being held against her will to make content... it's just so frustrating. She makes so much for the most vapid "work", so please just stop complaining all the time about it to your fans. Especially when we're entering a new fucking recession, it's just so tone deaf