• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

bestdressed/ ashley

4791 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I found this very new channel on youtube and it's like a bestdressed clone.. the similarities are uncanny.

it wouldn't be so weird this girl was just another thrift flipper/quirky and sustainable fashion girl but among the few uploads on her channel there are exact copies of ashley's videos like impulsive bang cutting, a glow up video (the thumbnail is pretty much identical) alongside the reformation inspired thrift flipping and diys. the (imo unfunny and forced) humor, font and editing and thumbnail style are also very similar. :/

YouTube has been recommending channels like hers to me recently. At  first I thought they were Ashley due to how similar their fonts and overall aesthetics are. I quickly realized that they were different people who seemed to all be clones of Ashley.

I guess her content and style are easily duped

Edited by MyLordAlmighty

Posted (edited)

yeah i mean you could definitely make the argument that she's copying Ashley's youtube but like it or not, Ashley has been suuuuper influential in the trends on fashion/lifestyle youtubers, in the type of videos and ESPECIALLY in editing style. This girl is far from the first one to be influenced by Ashley.

Also to be honest, as much as her content is copying Ashley, it was quite refreshing to see someone who genuinely knows how to sew. Ashley knows how to use a sewing machine but 75% of her thrift flips were just "let me crop this top or make this dress shorter" and the other 25% were adding darts which is the easiest thing. This girl actually made totally new clothing pieces, and I, for one, am very impressed.

idk i wouldn't say she's been that influential in type of videos or editing? more like she hops on trends as they're picking up, like sustainability, thrift flips, etc but nothing about her content is that unique besides the oversharing. She's improved at editing recently I think and has always had a nice editing style but it's hardly different.

There're a couple of Ashley clones like the Youtuber quoted, but overall I think around 2018ish a lot of more relatable but ~aesthetically pleasing~ college-aged lifestyle vloggers popped up with similar editing techniques.

Edited by PeanutButterr
typo

Posted (edited)

idk i wouldn't say she's been that influential in type of videos or editing? more like she hops on trends as they're picking up, like sustainability, thrift flips, etc but nothing about her content is that unique besides the oversharing. She's improved at editing recently I think and has always had a nice editing style but it's hardly different.

There're a couple of Ashley clones like the Youtuber quoted, but overall I think around 2018ish a lot of more relatable but ~aesthetically pleasing~ college-aged lifestyle vloggers popped up with similar editing techniques.

Yeah, Ashley makes very clean videos and does good takes on trends (e.g. doing 50 outfits instead of 20), but has always been derivative of others. She didn't pioneer her Youtube style and it's unfair of anyone to give her that credit. Her videos get the most views by far and therefore the most exposure.

thing.thumb.jpg.0123b2fc90df3ad1e3e0031e

And as this thread established, she has a trend of not liking to give credit to her inspirations. Misleading Miss Ashley strikes again.

Edited by Spitroasted

Posted (edited)

Add to that: makes money off selling PR to them. She's on Jenn Im's Eggie PR list so I highly doubt she paid for any of her Eggie items herself. I remember seeing her resell a brand new Eggie dress (that really didn't look like something she'd pick out herself) after her extreme closet cleanout 6 months ago, so I checked on Wayback and yep:

eggie.thumb.JPG.06daed16e23245bf101031dc

She was also on Champion's PR list (as she said in the closet cleanout video). And there were a couple Champion items on the store too.

In addition to that, I've always felt she made her store prices as high as she could push them, sometimes questionably high. That's completely normal if you're selling to randoms and I get that she's used to hustling from her Etsy/Depop days. But she doesn't understand how things might be different now that she's selling directly to thousands of loyal tweens who she KNOWS will buy out her store in minutes. I don't know, maybe I'm nitpicking on this one.

Maybe I just think she overprices because I personally wouldn't consistently sell secondhand UO for $30-$40 like she does. I wonder if anyone else thought her prices seemed steep or if it's just me.

Good catch! She actually wore the eggie magnolia dress in her "my first time at vidcon", where she gets asked how much her dress was and she gets all flustered and admits it's PR, so she didn't pay for it and doesn't know the price. WOW. So she got the dress gifted, wore it out to big events and then actually sold it again for more than half the retail price. Very classy. 

I mean I could maybe understand if she was really struggling and a small youtuber, still not a good move, but I could understand the need. But that was in a time where she already decided to move to NYC, so where she could shell out multiple thousand dollars for a move, just because she felt like it and she already was for some time in the Marc Jacobs partnership, which must also be a decent pay check. 

It is just so greedy. If you can afford to move to NYC just for fun and exclusively search for your own apartment in Manhattan, than you don't need that extra $35 by selling free PR gifts. Also, is it really worth the $35 from a moral stand point AND the chance of people finding out and her potentially loosing partnerships and sponsors because of it? I mean we say it again and again, but it would have been so much better to just gifting PR gifts to a women's shelter or some other charity. There are also some projects where they collect clothes and cosmetics for teenage trans girls/young trans women, who can't afford it themselves and are not supported by their families, donating to such a project would have been a nice gesture, would be good PR and also would give smaller projects/charity causes a bigger platform.

But I guess when you work with Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein and can afford to live on your Youtube money in Manhattan, you really need that $35 from selling PR gifts. 

Edited by sipi
spelling

Posted (edited)

Got catch! She actually wore the eggie magnolia dress in her "my first time at vidcon", where she gets asked how much her dress was and she gets all flustered and admits it's PR, so she didn't pay for it and doesn't know the price.

Oh I was originally thinking of a different Eggie dress I'd seen her sell (since Wayback didn't save the pic) that was orange and brand new. Just did some digging and this is the one:

dress.thumb.jpg.410cc736d5f542625b612e44

Then it's even worse that she was selling PR that's USED for that price, omg.

It is just so greedy. If you can afford to move to NYC just for fun and exclusively search for your own apartment in Manhattan, than you don't need that extra $35 by selling free PR gifts. Also, is it really worth the $35 from a moral stand point AND the chance of people finding out and her potentially loosing partnerships and sponsors because of it?

Considering the Bestdressed is Problematic vid is gaining traction really quickly (on 55k views now) and the thumbnail says "caught selling Marc Jacobs PR?", it might be time for her to worry.

Thing is, she outright says Champion sends her PR, then proceeds to list several Champion items for sale. Plus the Eggie dress she wore to Vidcon. Did she genuinely think she wasn't doing anything wrong? I find that hard to believe, but equally I can't believe she'd just expose herself so carelessly lol.

Edited by Spitroasted

Posted

yeah i mean you could definitely make the argument that she's copying Ashley's youtube but like it or not, Ashley has been suuuuper influential in the trends on fashion/lifestyle youtubers, in the type of videos and ESPECIALLY in editing style. This girl is far from the first one to be influenced by Ashley.

Also to be honest, as much as her content is copying Ashley, it was quite refreshing to see someone who genuinely knows how to sew. Ashley knows how to use a sewing machine but 75% of her thrift flips were just "let me crop this top or make this dress shorter" and the other 25% were adding darts which is the easiest thing. This girl actually made totally new clothing pieces, and I, for one, am very impressed.

I agree that she actually does have skill in sewing and I too was impressed with the outcome of her projects. it just worries me how there are too many similarities with her and ashley that it makes me think she's probably trying to copy ashley to replicate her success.

so far it seems the comments are positive but someone copying someone else this close, especially someone with a fanbase like ashley's.. i just get a bad feeling.

who knows, maybe she is genuinely just like this but all the similarities line up too much for me to think this is just an innocent coincidence. i honestly just feel kind of bad for her and don't like that someone feels the need to copy someone as bad as an influence as ashley to get popular. i do wish this girl the best as she seems young and she clearly has skills.

Posted (edited)

All the mental gymnastics her stans have to do in order to justify Ashley's problematic comments.... it's shocking. Honestly I don't hate Ashley but her fans are just unbelievable. 

Anyway, there was this one person defending Ashley's housewife jokes and I just had to reply lmfao (hiding because the convo is a bit lengthy and idk if yall wanna read that) 

Screen_Shot_2020-05-21_at_2.54.38_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2020-05-21_at_3.44.37_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2020-05-21_at_3.33.36_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2020-05-21_at_3.33.41_PM.thu

Edited by siredwizards

Posted

yeah the amount of Ashley editing style videos that have come in the past few years are insane but this is the first time I've seen someone with that editing style who is literally 2018 Ashley or whatever anyway yah I was so impressed I subscribed LOL 

also I agree with another user (who's name I forgot sorry, but on page 230!) who said Ashley's content is that easy to recreate. you're right, it's really nothing special at all. there are a few that have the talent for sure, like the girl I just subbed to, but most really aren't that great. Ashley just promotes mediocrity whether she wants to believe it or not lol 

Posted

I can't believe she was selling PR under her real name :D it's like she was asking to get in trouble I swear.

Posted (edited)

I found this very new channel on youtube and it's like a bestdressed clone.. the similarities are uncanny.

gettin rly tired of these bestdressed clones, sure ashley's "editing style" is very marketable, but these girls aren't gonna get deals/sponsorships cause (at least i think) it's obvious this style isn't original. dont wanna suck ashley's ass but her older videos are pretty well edited, albeit a LOT of lifestyle youtubers who own an ipad/photoshop can make the hand written titles/captions. i just wanna see more fashion girls be original, fuck reformation anyway, they're clothes aren't sourced 100% ethically (you won't hear ashley talkin about it though!)

edit: about ashley's worms for brains followers, i think it's a projection thing for the teens who vehemently defend her. she's never gonna notice you batting for her in some stranger's comments, let it go. realize ashley isn't perfect and neither are any of us. but you don't see us lying/blatantly omitting information/being a LOUD hypocrite on the internet to MILLIONS of people on MULTIPLE social media networks 

Edited by pinksaltlamp
worms for brains

Posted (edited)

gettin rly tired of these bestdressed clones, sure ashley's "editing style" is very marketable, but these girls aren't gonna get deals/sponsorships cause (at least i think) it's obvious this style isn't original. dont wanna suck ashley's ass but her older videos are pretty well edited, albeit a LOT of lifestyle youtubers who own an ipad/photoshop can make the hand written titles/captions. i just wanna see more fashion girls be original, fuck reformation anyway, they're clothes aren't sourced 100% ethically (you won't hear ashley talkin about it though!)

edit: about ashley's worms for brains followers, i think it's a projection thing for the teens who vehemently defend her. she's never gonna notice you batting for her in some stranger's comments, let it go. realize ashley isn't perfect and neither are any of us. but you don't see us lying/blatantly omitting information/being a LOUD hypocrite on the internet to MILLIONS of people on MULTIPLE social media networks 

i agree & not just the editing style she literally copied her exact videos, jokes & thumbnails lmao. the only video that hasn't been done by ashley before is the bleaching video but besides that every video is a copy

i really hoped that her channel would have maybe even a bit originality, because idc if she's a bit similar to ashley as long as i can still enjoy the video, but for me personally its just cringy watching her emulate ashleys manners, skits, editing & jokes

Edited by daintyeo

Posted

That girl actually has decent sewing skills and she wastes them trying to emulate a sad, hot mess of 22 year old with no friends

Posted

i agree & not just the editing style she literally copied her exact videos, jokes & thumbnails lmao. the only video that hasn't been done by ashley before is the bleaching video but besides that every video is a copy

i really hoped that her channel would have maybe even a bit originality, because idc if she's a bit similar to ashley as long as i can still enjoy the video, but for me personally its just cringy watching her emulate ashleys manners, skits, editing & jokes

yea copying someone's videos is common on yt no one gives a fuck anymore but copying someone's mannerisms, speech patterns, facial expressions, intonation... ? Caitlin's video is downright scary when you watch it knowing Ashley it's like that chick is a hired actor who plays her rather than a youtuber:/

Posted

Oh I was originally thinking of a different Eggie dress I'd seen her sell (since Wayback didn't save the pic) that was orange and brand new. Just did some digging and this is the one:

dress.thumb.jpg.410cc736d5f542625b612e44

Then it's even worse that she was selling PR that's USED for that price, omg.

Considering the Bestdressed is Problematic vid is gaining traction really quickly (on 55k views now) and the thumbnail says "caught selling Marc Jacobs PR?", it might be time for her to worry.

Thing is, she outright says Champion sends her PR, then proceeds to list several Champion items for sale. Plus the Eggie dress she wore to Vidcon. Did she genuinely think she wasn't doing anything wrong? I find that hard to believe, but equally I can't believe she'd just expose herself so carelessly lol.

I can see how she will make a video about it, even apologising if the selling PR gifts thing will go big, but I can also see how she will play victim, saying things like "needing the money" and "that she didn't know better". But the thing is, she's humble bragging about her accomplishments, her grades and her intelligence, saying she didn't knew better seems kinda off in that context. I can see that a couple extra hundred bucks for a cross country move is nice, BUT this move was a vanity project. She didn't had a certain job position or study program waiting for her in NYC, she just moved because she felt like it, so she can't really excuse it with "needing the money" because then she shouldn't have moved to NYC, let alone Manhattan. If she says she had to move due to her mental health...well, it is not like NYC/Manhattan where the only places in the world that could improve her mental health?

I'm curious what she will eventually do or say about the whole thing if she ever gets cornered enough to actually address it. 

Posted

So glad you mentioned this! Reformation is becoming the next upper/middle expense It brand when girls are leaving Urban Outfitters but they don't source ethically AND mistreat employees (a big story up and coming lol). But they have a 'sustainable' or whatever label smacked on them so Ashley and other girls can buy to their heart's content with no thoughts.