• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

bestdressed/ ashley

5154 posts in this topic

Posted

It is a little depressing when you also consider that AA is fluid, and depends on who the minority is in a given area/context, and so, in some cases, works for specifically women, or certain sexualities, and not as a heavy handed "tool" for us poor "blacks". 

Fact of the day: blacks, er, I mean—Nigerian Americans are the most educated group in America lol

Whew, people are glad they don't gotta catch these hands. 

It's cute how Ashley is trying to look like someone who has empathy even though, as stated before, she's not physically white-passing at all. I'm sure she loved all the stereotypes white men threw her way in school, tho. 

Posted

Honestly idk why she picked film... I wonder what made her take film instead of Stanford? 

Posted

Sorry but to me she doesn’t look white passing at all???

Also she says something in the first paragraph and then kinda contradicts herself in the second...

I agree. Maybe she means she's white passing to asians and asian passing to white people?

Tbh I honestly think deep down (not that deep tho lol) she wants to believe she passes as white more than asian for the purposes of fitting that view that mixed asian/white who pass more as white are more beautiful than non-mixed people? Even though we don't think she passes, maybe her experience growing up wasian molded her to think different. Since she's looked at as more white to her asian peers, she's gonna believe she's white passing. She recognizes this privilege in her comment and kind of implies her asian peer was salty about her being part white. Ashley was probably mad because that comment in itself implies that she got into Stanford not because of her hard work, but because of her whiteness. In reality though, her peer has a point and we know she has an advantage with her white privilege. It's the reason why job hunting can be difficult for minorities with ethnically sounding last names. 

Wish she would "Pop tf off" about her wasian experience in her own video lol

I just wanna know why mention this story to victimize herself? If anything she got the better end here. She got into Stanford, her asian peer probably didn't, and she ended up not going anyway. That's a lot of humble bragging if you ask me.

Posted (edited)

Unlocking the thread, sorry, Shadow's a new mod & we just talked over this, I have no intention of locking down discussion on this forum. 

However, this is not really the place to bicker about AA. Respectful discussion is okay. Please report racism. 

Citing rule 8 here: 

Except for the off-topic discussion boards, do not bring up general controversial issues in threads.

1. Don’t talk about politics, religion, race, or social issues except in the off-topic boards. These just derail threads.

Please stay on topic.

Edited by Nyx

Posted

Unlocking the thread, sorry, Shadow's a new mod & we just talked over this, I have no intention of locking down discussion on this forum. 

However, this is not really the place to bicker about AA. Respectful discussion is okay. Please report racism. 

Citing rule 8 here: 

Except for the off-topic discussion boards, do not bring up general controversial issues in threads.

1. Don’t talk about politics, religion, race, or social issues except in the off-topic boards. These just derail threads.

Please stay on topic.

thank you

Posted

ashley's academic achievements are truly not impressive to me. 

so you're telling me someone who:

- grew up in the second richest county in the country

- whose parents make 400k+ annually

- whose parents are both deeply involved in academic and who are therefore likely very knowledgeable about the college admission process

- who likely had incredible privilege in being able to navigate balancing extracurriculars, studying, and time to work etc.

is succeeding in school??? Yeah no shit LOL the school system is heavily biased to favor the wealthy, who have time and resources to dedicate towards their childrens futures. the system was MADE for people like her to succeed. the really sick part is that she acts like she is where she is purely from her own merit and squanders any chance to actually grow as a person despite being spoonfed opportunity 

my favorite is when she totes the "i worked five jobs on top of making youtube videos" in high school like part-time employment for work experience is something that makes you a hustler. there are many children who are forced to work in school to provide for their families, to take care of their siblings, to save money for college tuition. many, yes, don't do well academically because they're stressed about losing food on the table and the roofs over their heads, not because they're stupid or don't work hard enough. i'm sure it was stressful for her to balance those different aspects of her life, but it was her choice. and it means very little in regards to her work ethic. 

Posted

my favorite is when she totes the "i worked five jobs on top of making youtube videos" in high school like part-time employment for work experience is something that makes you a hustler. there are many children who are forced to work in school to provide for their families, to take care of their siblings, to save money for college tuition. many, yes, don't do well academically because they're stressed about losing food on the table and the roofs over their heads, not because they're stupid or don't work hard enough. i'm sure it was stressful for her to balance those different aspects of her life, but it was her choice. and it means very little in regards to her work ethic. 

I'm curious to know what these 5 jobs were and how she distributed her time considering she was in high school. Not to discredit her work experience... but anyone can work five jobs if they're working low hours for each job. A lot of people work multiple jobs because one job could be giving few hours so they get a second or third job to compensate. I definitely agree with your point on how it's her choice. I think she's stating that she had five jobs to brag. I don't think regular people with more than one job like to brag about having to work multiple jobs. Hardship is not something to brag about for struggling people. It seems like she didn't have to go through the hardships that other students do (family, food, money, housing issues) so she creates her own hardship.  It gives her merit and a reason for others to see her in a positive light (hardworking, goal chaser).  Did she ever say why she needed to work 5 jobs or did she just want to?

Posted

I'm curious to know what these 5 jobs were and how she distributed her time considering she was in high school. Not to discredit her work experience... but anyone can work five jobs if they're working low hours for each job. A lot of people work multiple jobs because one job could be giving few hours so they get a second or third job to compensate. I definitely agree with your point on how it's her choice. I think she's stating that she had five jobs to brag. I don't think regular people with more than one job like to brag about having to work multiple jobs. Hardship is not something to brag about for struggling people. It seems like she didn't have to go through the hardships that other students do (family, food, money, housing issues) so she creates her own hardship.  It gives her merit and a reason for others to see her in a positive light (hardworking, goal chaser).  Did she ever say why she needed to work 5 jobs or did she just want to?

you can see what they are if you google her name and go to the second result. some are internships and others are part-time retail work, so you're likely right that she was able to schedule low hours with each and work simultaneously. it's how i did my internships when i was in school, which gave me room for studying and other activities. 

Posted

you can see what they are if you google her name and go to the second result. some are internships and others are part-time retail work, so you're likely right that she was able to schedule low hours with each and work simultaneously. it's how i did my internships when i was in school, which gave me room for studying and other activities. 

i also want to note that some of them overlap in the summer, so she had plenty of time and didn't need to balance studying at the same time. it's not like she was busting her ass in order to help her family or raise money for tuition because her family couldn't help her

Posted

Ashley is one of those people that had a reality check in university and realized there are plenty of people out there who are book smart or talented in the area but just shut down and never tried to improve imo

I see this a lot on art school, a lot of people that come here were always THE art kid and always been complimented by people outside the field, so when they enter school and realize there might be people better than them, or that they need to improve something they just drop out lol.

she mentions in one of her videos how film school didn't turned out to be what she expected but imagine how much of an inherent advantage you have to have on basically everything that the first time you get a slap in the face you just shut down instead of trying to improve or idk work trough it? the fact that she's still holding on what she accomplished before college a year after she graduated is just so sad 

Posted

Ashley really reminds me of all the ppl in high school that looked down on community colleges and went out of state for more prestigious schools with their parents paying everything for them, including housing and food, then they graduated from whatever they majored in thinking they would make tons of money and just worked in shit that wasn't fulfilling and complain about it all the time. I think Ashley has potential to find something she likes and excel in it, but she instead does what is a popular route and discovers later it's not fulfilling a lot. Its not making her happy.

Like, majoring and knowing you'll find work in a field you'll love is super important. I knew so many peers that went into nursing for good money, but they would say  "Ugh I can't stand to be around people" like bitch ur job is to TAKE CARE of people! Just like if Ashley wants to be successful being a beauty/fashion Youtuber, then we expect her to have at least decent makeup skills and have some knowledge on the fashion industry, styles, and different fashion cultures. And sometimes taking a complete different direction with what you wanna do in life can be great! I have a friend that ended up switching from comp-sci to cognitive psychology and she was happier and actually wanted to go to class. Like yeah ppl will judge you if you change ur mind about stuff you want to do with ur future but who cares.

Like its been talked abt already but its clear Ashley doesn't seem happy doing Youtube. If she really doesn't like going to NYFW or these big social networking events she doesn't have to go she can do other things. I wish she'd find something she enjoys doing and can excel in it without worrying what other people think of her and just drop this stupid "I'm perfect and not like all the other girls" act.

Posted

i don't really know or care much about ashley but i joined to say she gives me the distinct vibes of those girls in elementary school who drew pictures like this and someone told her she was good at drawing so she took that compliment and stretched it into her entire personality. also the kid who sat next to me on the bus in 7th grade who took a dog collar out of his backpack and said he used it for pet play. 

Posted

A lot of YouTubers are churning out new content so much both for their fans and because so many more people are watching their videos rn. Ashley... really isn't? I feel like she's been in a creative slump since moving to New York. Imo it seems like she feels even more pressure on producing quality original content to prove (at least to herself) that she's "making" it and that moving was the right choice to make.

Posted (edited)

Stanford was merely supposed to be her confirmation that she was indeed better than everyone else despite the lack of male attention and being a social outcast. You know, the good ol "maybe i'm not the hot popular chick with a boyfriend but at least i'm smart"

I don't think she ever considered going there. Her self confidence was rock bottom in high school so once she got in for real she must have panicked and picked UCLA instead. She mentioned it once that she felt like she wouldn't make it until graduation in Stanford so college in Cali seemed like a more realistic option to her. 

So yeah. She'll forever have the Stanford thing to comfort herself with I guess?

stanford is in california! but yes, she probably thought a public institution (UC) would be more realistic for her than a honorary league. honestly, i would advise against stanford if she cared about diversity that much especially with that LA video where she was projecting all of her insecurities on (from personal experience, stanford is predominantly white. UCLA is more diverse lmao)

Edited by happylem0n
more info