• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

bestdressed/ ashley

564 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been watching Ashley for a while now, and I have to say that her content has gotten worse over time. Like everyone has already mentioned, she tries too hard to be "not like other girls." Lame puns aside, she also tries too hard to seem smart. Her most recent video, "HOW I MAKE THAT BREAD" was what made me finally unsub. 

https://youtu.be/N5YqaJ37hxs (i don't know how to figure out html lol)

I'll spare you the 20 minutes. It's basically a video of her talking about all the high school jobs, side gigs she had in LA, and selling her art/hand-made chokers. How is this video going to help anyone who isn't an artist/live in LA? Her video was a humblebrag in disguise as a "how to make money like me" video. Also, she went ahead and spent 5 minutes talking about why she isn't going to take sponsorships during the summer, with the justification that sponsorships (whether she stands behinds the product or not) = selling out. Way to call out literally every other YouTuber, Ashley. You're much more authentic than the rest ;) 

And yeah, her make up looks are pretty tragic. Ironically, her fashion sense is super basic as well. The whole small top big pants, big top small pants trend is pretty common sense.

Edited by 1200

Posted

I've been watching Ashley for a while now, and I have to say that her content has gotten worse over time. Like everyone has already mentioned, she tries too hard to be "not like other girls." Lame puns aside, she also tries too hard to seem smart. Her most recent video, "HOW I MAKE THAT BREAD" was what made me finally unsub. 

https://youtu.be/N5YqaJ37hxs (i don't know how to figure out html lol)

I'll spare you the 20 minutes. It's basically a video of her talking about all the high school jobs, side gigs she had in LA, and selling her art/hand-made chokers. How is this video going to help anyone who isn't an artist/live in LA? Her video was a humblebrag in disguise as a "how to make money like me" video. Also, she went ahead and spent 5 minutes talking about why she isn't going to take sponsorships during the summer, with the justification that sponsorships (whether she stands behinds the product or not) = selling out. Way to call out literally every other YouTuber, Ashley. You're much more authentic than the rest ;) 

And yeah, her make up looks are pretty tragic. Ironically, her fashion sense is super basic as well. The whole small top big pants, big top small pants trend is pretty common sense.

But her idol and now seemingly close friend Jenn Im is a sellout.

Posted

I've always defended girls who want to wear band shirts because who knows what someone might listen to but her saying she "always wanted a band tee" made me roll my eyes so hard... Like at least pretend you wanted a guns and roses shirt specifically or smth 

Preface: GN’R to me is what BTS seems to be for everyone in PULL.

Honestly, in my experience, most people get band tees for the ~fashion~. I try to give the benefit of the doubt but it’s rare I find genuine fans of bands anymore. Unless the person actively makes rock music an intrinsic part of their identity, it’s a pretty safe bet that the person doesn’t care.

To me, that caption just reinforced her basicness.

Posted

I'm sorry if this is just me but it bothers me how she always has to casually bring up politics in her videos. Like in her most recent thrift haul, she just had to bring out the whole abortion topic when its totally irrelevant. I don't even care whether she's pro-life or pro-choice, i simply do not give a damn. I'm so tired of hearing about abortion, I just wanted to watch a laid back thrift haul but no, Ms. Woke has to remind us that she is an informed young and independent woman and there is no one in LA with her exact same views and style. (lmao and LA is full of rich liberals who exclusively use instagram for fashion inspiration). She seriously can't get any more basic and predictable, unsubscribed. Anyone know any other good thrifting channels?  

Posted

I've been watching her since last fall and I used to not agree with the opinion on here of her being a try hard and annoying,but it's finally happening, I'm moving to the dark side. Her summer haul video kept making me cringe for some reason, she keeps telling the same lame sex jokes and I'm just like "Okay, we get it.", and I actually really appreciate me some good dirty jokes haha.

I instinctively disliked her "How I make that bread" video almost immediately because her disclaimer made me roll my eyes.

"Hellooo~ and welcome to a video literally nobody asked me to make"

Posted

Ok first off quite honestly how many BEYOND basic Reformation knock-off, square-necked, ruched-body, puffy-sleeved, off-the-shoulder tops does Ashley NEED, especially as a fashion youtuber??? I can't decide how I feel about her thrift store that basically resells American Eagle and her thrift flip items she never wears. I feel like she only updates it when she needs extra cash since she's inconsistent with the store even though she tried to act like she like, ~honed her business acumen~ or whatever. Anyways, she did have some good tips and experience stories to share esp for a young/peer audience. Kind of interesting to see how she makes money but at the same time unsure why anybody would want to be so public about that sort of thing. This whole sponsorship thing is literally so lol, she's already done so many brand deals. This video really was a huge humblebrag about how HaRd she works and how HoNeSt she is. 🙄🙄

also literally yelling bc i did a habitual quick comment scroll and somebody actually told her to apply for a vogue internship because "you know your way around the business community, your a great stylist, you have a great work ethic, and you have an charismatic personality!" oh lord hfgbfgjkdgfmnb

Posted

I mean while I think she's quite hypocritical and annoying when it comes to expressing her views (very rich liberal-ish) I don't think it's a bad thing that she does give her genuine opinion about these things on her channel. I liked her last video but I'm not very familiar with the American economical system so I just thought it was interesting.

Posted

also literally yelling bc i did a habitual quick comment scroll and somebody actually told her to apply for a vogue internship because "you know your way around the business community, your a great stylist, you have a great work ethic, and you have an charismatic personality!" oh lord hfgbfgjkdgfmnb

i mean the reasoning was dumb but ashley could definitely apply for a job/internship at a fashion magazine through their video/media department. a lot of people i know did that and it would kind of check boxes for her interests (making videos, fashion.......making money....idk). sooooooo personally i think its not a terrible idea (but prolly not VOGUE) but honestly subbies always say stuff like "you should just xyz because youre amazing, the sun shines out of your butt, and god said youre the second coming of jesus!" so, again, not surprising that ashley is getting won over/siren called by all that brown nosing, just disappointing

i was actually going to watch her "how i make that bread video" but now im hesitant to. also surprised that she literally copied her "how to edit your videos like a pro" thumbnail but with that video it seemed like a sarcastic joke whereas this one seems too tryhard cool. 

also this

Screen_Shot_2019-05-26_at_12.31.19_PM.th

seems like shes officially hit that level of success

Posted (edited)

I mean while I think she's quite hypocritical and annoying when it comes to expressing her views (very rich liberal-ish) I don't think it's a bad thing that she does give her genuine opinion about these things on her channel. I liked her last video but I'm not very familiar with the American economical system so I just thought it was interesting.

the thing is, I’m not sure many people watch her to hear her blurt out of the blue a political statement. Most people watching fashion videos just want to watch a fashion video. If I want to hear a persons political views I’ll watch a commentary or political channel. I also don’t think it’s very smart for a fashion youtuber to share her political views. If you want to immediately divide and exclude people who don’t share your views, just say you hate trump and that you support abortion. That’s a great way to make people stop watching you since people who are pro life or pro choice tend to be very strong on their views. Her views aren’t unique either for her to add it as something quirky. Literally every freaking LA liberal thinks like her. No one cares. Now, if she said she was pro life, that would be different and actually unique. But she wouldn’t say it because she would know it would be bad for her. She knows her views are relatable and that no one will fight her for it. Now I see she is actually making a conscious effort to sound woke and relatable, it’s not natural. 

All this wokeness has a limit. People are tolerating her for now because they think she’s quirky and open minded. But we’ve seen this happen a thousand times on YouTube. People start worshipping and admiring every single little thing that a YouTuber does only for those same people to start getting tired of the same YouTuber. Ashley is not that special for her to be the exception. She’s just getting worse and one day she’ll do or say something she can’t take back. Remember me when that happens. 

Lmao am I prophet?

Edited by DreamyCat

Posted

i mean the reasoning was dumb but ashley could definitely apply for a job/internship at a fashion magazine through their video/media department. a lot of people i know did that and it would kind of check boxes for her interests (making videos, fashion.......making money....idk). sooooooo personally i think its not a terrible idea (but prolly not VOGUE) but honestly subbies always say stuff like "you should just xyz because youre amazing, the sun shines out of your butt, and god said youre the second coming of jesus!" so, again, not surprising that ashley is getting won over/siren called by all that brown nosing, just disappointing

i was actually going to watch her "how i make that bread video" but now im hesitant to. also surprised that she literally copied her "how to edit your videos like a pro" thumbnail but with that video it seemed like a sarcastic joke whereas this one seems too tryhard cool. 

also this

Screen_Shot_2019-05-26_at_12.31.19_PM.th

seems like shes officially hit that level of success

lol at that thumbnail. I don’t know if you guys watch JenerationDIY but she’s trying very hard to be like Ashley. 

She has one video titled “glow up transformation” or something to that effect and it’s almost exactly the same as Ashley’s glow up for 2019 video. She even did the whole “on a scale of 0 to 10”.

even her thumbnails and video content are similar. Lots of thrift flips etc 

4D976368-168F-45E8-9E84-91F693663790.jpeg

Posted

That's actually pretty true! You just reminded me of Ella Snyder who even interned at L'officiel this past summer as I think a media intern? The suggestion of Vogue fr got to me though lmao 

lol at that thumbnail. I don’t know if you guys watch JenerationDIY but she’s trying very hard to be like Ashley. 

Oh wow just that screenshot itself already says so much. I've never heard of this girl but I can't believe she even did a thrift flip with the Sorry Girls too 😳

Posted (edited)

She has one video titled “glow up transformation” or something to that effect and it’s almost exactly the same as Ashley’s glow up for 2019 video. She even did the whole “on a scale of 0 to 10”.

even her thumbnails and video content are similar. Lots of thrift flips etc 

4D976368-168F-45E8-9E84-91F693663790.jpeg

To be fair, Ashley didn't come up with the concept of thrift flips. There is another channel that i saw with the same concept way before Ashley. There is this channel called "coolirpa" who has done so many videos redoing thrifted clothes, only that she titles those videos "thrifted transformations".

Coolirpa's very first thrifted transfomation video goes back to 2014. Ashley does the same, only with bad sewing skills and with a different title. Don't know why you all make it seem as if she did it first just because she coined the concept "thrift flip". Other people have done it before and better. Ashley's first thrift flip video is from 2017...

As for the thumbnails... if you wanna get technical Jenn Im has done those types of thumbnails for a while now. If anything, Ashley is the one copying Jenn and JENerationDIY is copying Ashley lol. Sorry but it just annoys me when everyone is accused of copying something like a freaking font or editing style (Emma chamberlain didn't invent zooms goddamit!). Lets just agree that at this point in youtube, no one is as unique or original as they think they are...  762F6DFF-A2C3-4AC8-B165-B82020489EC6.thu

Edited by DreamyCat
Don't know why there is a huge blank space...

Posted

I want to quote the post above but seems like something is wrong. Anyway, I 100% agree. It always baffles me when people say Jenn is copying Ashley when it's clearly the other way round and it makes sense because Jenn is or was Ashley's idol. I also agree that it's ridiculous how people are accused of copying over using the same font or having similar looking thumbnail styles. These are all trends so people follow them, just like how Ashley is forever in a square neck blouse or a top or dress with puffy sleeves (I just scrolled through her Instagram and Jesus, the amount of puffy sleeves blouse and dresses this girl has is insane...) because this fashion style is trending at the moment.

Posted

i've never really watched ashleys videos but watched the most recent one... why does she try so hard to be fUnNy it just comes of as cringey... eh. also, i kind of understand the "no script - more real" kind of videos, but it's really hard to listen to her and follow along? please sit down and stop waving your arms around and haHA punny!! making bread!!! :alpacafedup:

Posted

her summer try-on was tragic. i know fashion is subjective but every piece she showed was ugly. watch those pieces appear on her best dress store in a couple of weeks